Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

English Accents (American, British, Irish, etc...)

Old January 16th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Accents (American, British, Irish, etc...)

I wasn't saying that those without distinctive accents don't have one, I was just saying that it can't be figured out, so people just say that person doesn't have one, but it isn't meant to be taken in a literal sense. Like I said about my father, we know he has one, we just can't figure it out, so we just say he doesn't have one since it's easier and more convenient to say.

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2007, 8:59 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I wasn't saying that those without distinctive accents don't have one, I was just saying that it can't be figured out, so people just say that person doesn't have one, but it isn't meant to be taken in a literal sense. Like I said about my father, we know he has one, we just can't figure it out, so we just say he doesn't have one since it's easier and more convenient to say.
All I meant was a number of people in this topic have already claimed they don't have accents. I did say I know what you meant, heh. I am friends with people from all over the country, and for the most part I wouldn't know where any of them were from by their accents. In many cases people moved around frequently and picked up things here and there, while still speaking primarily the way their parents do.

Old January 16th, 2007, 9:03 pm
Second Year

I'm one of those people without a real distinct accent. I've moved all over the place, which I think contributed. Also, my mom was from Minnesota and my dad from Arkansas, so I was never really exposed to one "right" way of talking because my parents both had distict yet very different accents. I lived in Chicago for a long time before moving to Minnesota, to Rhode Island, and then to Indiana where I live now. I've also travelled around the world and spent extended periods of time in both the UK and Australia. So I guess I'm just a bunch of stuff mixed together. I've been told I have mostly a Chicago accent, but that traces of other accents can be heard when I talk. The funniest thing ever was leaving London after 9 months and my best friend there telling me I had preserved my American accent the whole time, then getting off the plane back home and the first thing my parents said to me was that I had developed a British accent. But through all my travelling I've met lots of different people, and now I can pick up on very subtle differences in accent. For example most Americans can recognize a British accent, but I can usually tell where in Britain the person is from. Likewise, here in the States, I can usually tell where somebody grew up, even if their accent has been "replaced" by a new one (which often happens over time when you move to a new region) because once you learn to talk, certain sounds won't change.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old January 16th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
I think when people say that a person doesn't seem to have an accent, is that they mean that said person doesn't have a very distinctive one. As I pointed out, my father was raised and grew up in New York. He doesn't have that typical, standard northern accent; he never has. He's lived down here in Virginia going on 23 years, but he doesn't sound "southern" either. None of us can put our finger on what type of an accent he has, so we just say he doesn't have one.
That depends on the listener. Some people do have quite mixed accents, especially when they have lived in different places. Just because an accent isn't standard, doesn't mean it isn't an accent.

Old January 16th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
That depends on the listener. Some people do have quite mixed accents, especially when they have lived in different places. Just because an accent isn't standard, doesn't mean it isn't an accent.
He's only lived in New York and Virginia, same as my mother (she was born and raised in Virginia). Seems he'd have either a northern accent, a southern one, or a combination of both. He doesn't seem to have either. Every once in a while, you may hear him say some things with a northern accent, but it's rare.

Now that case may apply to me. My mother said when we first moved down here, I had a New York accent, but lost it due to our being down here for so long.

Old January 16th, 2007, 9:47 pm
Second Year

I don't know what kind of accent I have. I spent my earliest childhood in a few different countries, and from age 9 on in different states in the U.S. I think I mostly pick up the accents around me.

Old January 16th, 2007, 9:52 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
I have a southern accent, even though I live in Virginia. The impression I get from my northern family is that I sound like I'm from the deep south. One person I know of described me as sounding like a "Southern Belle". I think Texan whenever I hear "Southern Belle". Does anyone know where that term officially originated?
Whenever I hear the term I think of the Cotton Belt and big plantations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklek View Post
Errr, has everyone forgotten about Wales???
Nope, but Wales has only an Assembly, not a Parliament. I categorised it in political terms. Wales is pretty much bilingual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewberryblu View Post
Now I'm grown up I speak "proper" English ie without a dialect, and pretty much Received Pronunciation.
Wow, really? Only 2% of speakers of English (in Britain) manage to speak RP.

Last edited by Moriath; January 16th, 2007 at 10:45 pm.
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:35 pm
Second Year

I absolutly love British accents!! As an American myself, I think they are very exotic!!

Also, Irish accents are really cool!!

BREAKING DAWN!!!
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:00 pm
First Year

Well i'm from south carolina...charleston to be exact and even within south carolina there is a difference in accents, so some would say. I remember being a freshman in college (go gamecocks) and people would automatically know i was from charleston. But i think that has more to do with the dialect than just the accent itself. i think in the south we tend to shorten a lot of words and make up conjunctions like "y'all" and "ain't" that aren't real words. The New York and Boston accents seem to be the easiest to pick up on within the US. British accents are cool but mostly with a softer voice. Anybody ever hear about the american lady that had a stroke and suddenly started talking with a foreign accent?

Old January 16th, 2007, 11:40 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
Wow, really? Only 2% of speakers of English (in Britain) manage to speak RP.
That would be because RP is kind of artificial. Everyone has a regional accent, although the more education you have, the nearer you are likely to be to RP.

Old January 17th, 2007, 12:43 am
Fifth Year

I can make an attempt at RP but I have too many habits. I have a sort of Mid-west accent, but not quite because my mom is from the southwest and I've spent so much time around her and her family. I do like to hear the different type of accents. This summer at a youth camp there was a guy from South Africa who had moved here so it was an interesting mix.

Old January 17th, 2007, 1:07 am
Second Year

I'm really good at accents, I'm Canadian, but not Eastern, so I don't really have any accent at all. Therefore leaving room to speak however I want. I spoke in an Irish accent for all of July, people kept asking when I was going back home to Ireland. Yay.

Old January 17th, 2007, 3:37 am
Second Year

I love different accents from mine. I'm from New Jersey but I don't think we sound like people from New York. I don't know, maybe people think that. I think it's really funny how my Dad pronounces the word water. He says wooder. I don't know where he got that from cause he's been here his whole life. He also answers the phone differently than anybody I've ever heard. He says Heyo instead of hello. It's a kinda weird when someone seems to have their own individual accent for certain words only. It's funny.

Last edited by HardtoImagine; January 17th, 2007 at 5:47 pm.
Old January 17th, 2007, 6:42 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

RP (received pronunciation) has an enormous range - it's essentially a matter of not using dialect words and softening one's accent so as to be easily intelligible - the standard BBC accent used by newsreaders does not hide their regional accents (I'm listening to the Today programme at the moment and John Humphries is clearly Welsh)

Old January 17th, 2007, 9:16 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc View Post
RP (received pronunciation) has an enormous range - it's essentially a matter of not using dialect words and softening one's accent so as to be easily intelligible - the standard BBC accent used by newsreaders does not hide their regional accents (I'm listening to the Today programme at the moment and John Humphries is clearly Welsh)
But that's because the speakers at the BBC do not speak RP anymore. It is now acceptable to speak with a regional accent, something that was quite different in the 1940s. As anabel said, RP is an artificial product, mostly spoken and taught at public schools and to non-native speakers. Once I had an English teacher from Northern England who really tried to speak standard English and he was quite good at it. However, certain words were coloured by his regional accent. I doubt that "not using dialect words and softening one's accent" is enough to count as RP.

Old January 17th, 2007, 9:31 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Quote:
I doubt that "not using dialect words and softening one's accent" is enough to count as RP.
It didn't used to be but it changed with WW2 - the BBC quite deliberately started using identified people with recognisably regional accents that were nonetheless sufficiently modified to be comprehensible everywhere. It caused an outrage at the time but it is now unthinkable that everyone should speak exactly the same.

The strangulated vowels of Brian Sewell, that would have been standard RP before the war, cause derision now. And public schoolboys speak estuary English now like everyone else of their age

Old January 17th, 2007, 10:20 am
First Year

I live in Australia and I can usually tell what state someone is from by their accents although most people can't. It's funny how alot of people say they can't really tell between an Aussie and New Zealand accent but I suppose I can't tell between an American and Canadian accent.

Old January 17th, 2007, 10:38 am
Member of the Order

I've had friends from New Zealand and I could tell they weren't Australian. I also had a Canadian friend who was very annoyed by people assuming she was American. I could just about hear the difference.

Old January 17th, 2007, 10:52 am
First Year

So is RP how the Queen speaks? Don't know why I don't know this since I am English but there you go!

I have quite a posh English accent - even my 'well spoken' friends think I sound posh which I think is odd as I can't hear the difference between us! I grew up in Surrey (a Home County) which generally is quite well spoken I think? I love the Welsh accent - something about it just makes me laugh so much in a nice way of course!

By the way please could people stop saying 'British' to mean English as that's probably quite annoying to Scottish Welsh and Southern Irish people (and a bit for English people too!)

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:30 am
Fourth Year

I've always thought the Irish accent was the most pleasant to listen to.

Actually, since there's a bit of talk about RP, and because the fact about only 2% of Britons speaking with it caught my eye, I'll tell you a strange little story about my accent. I've lived in Australia since I was three months old, and my parents are about fourth generation Aussies. They, my sister, and even my twin brother all talk with ordinary Australian accents, but I speak with RP. I don't mean with a posh Australian accent, or a faux-British one, I mean deadset, flat out RP.
The reason for this freak of linguistics is that my parents sent me to a speech therapist when I was around four or five. The result? Every time I meet someone they go, "So, how long are you staying here?" The truly bizarre thing is that my twin and I sound like we come from different countries. So be warned, parents: send your kids to speech therapy and they'll never talk like the rest of the country again!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab