Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Latin

Old January 11th, 2008, 9:17 am
Sixth Year

Re: Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
No, they did have the letter 'g.' It just wasn't a very common letter, they preferred to use 'c' in words we made into 'g' words.

Yeah, that makes sense, since Italian is one of the languages that comes from Latin.
It does makes sense, becuz Romans once spoke Latin before Italian.

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Professor Emeritus

I have another question. I finished Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars and was puzzled by the word vineae. He made the comment that some of the Gallic tribes were good at these because they had copper mines. The word occurs many times in descriptions of fortifications. Were these some kind of tunnel?

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

§ Cathairetic §
Old January 15th, 2008, 8:06 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathairetic View Post
I have another question. I finished Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars and was puzzled by the word vineae. He made the comment that some of the Gallic tribes were good at these because they had copper mines. The word occurs many times in descriptions of fortifications. Were these some kind of tunnel?
These should be some kind of protection roofs against projectiles (not too sure what the correct historic English word for missiles might be ), if I recall it right.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 16th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Professor Emeritus

Thank you. That makes sense, I think.

§ Cathairetic §
Old January 17th, 2008, 4:35 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
These should be some kind of protection roofs against projectiles (not too sure what the correct historic English word for missiles might be ), if I recall it right.
Yeah, I think that's right. My dictionary says that when the word "vinea -ae" is used in a military sense it means a "penthouse (for besiegers)."

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:49 am
First Year

Ave, oh quick question ... my school's motto is Discere Sevire , to learn to serve however our Principal is quite daft in that he does'nt even know hoe to pronounce it ... if i remember my Latin correctly is is pronounced as Diskere Sevire In classical latin and in ecclestial latin it is Disere Sevire right ?

Ave Caesar Morituri Salutant ,

Dulce et Decorum est, Pro patria mori

Old April 24th, 2008, 12:03 pm
Winning Teamster

It's SeRvire, surely? (the English and the Latin are related)

Otherwise your assumption is correct.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 24th, 2008, 4:12 pm
Professor Emeritus

I found a set of Latin grammars on ebay and some are really excellent. They do not give translations as such but have photographs or pictures so that you quickly learn Latin basics and then you are into using indirect objects and direct objects etc. I am plowing my way through them slowly so as not to forget anything. I wish I had had Latin in school.

§ Cathairetic §
Old April 24th, 2008, 6:54 pm
Winning Teamster

Wow... that's amazing

So, any particular reason for learning Latin?

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 25th, 2008, 5:24 pm
Professor Emeritus

Latin is the foundation of our modern languages and we use so many Latin phrases in everyday speech. Medicine and law are full of Latin. I am just an ancient Rome junkie and I have read just about all of the writers extant from that society. I have 'edited' and made my own copies of these documents because the way Latin stays pretty much in the present tense even when that is not what is meant bugs me no end. So I change all the tenses to what they should be so I and anyone else in my family who wants to read these letters, biographys, essays, histories, etc. can do so with ease.

I also pronounce Latin with the restored pronunciation.

I'm kind of goofy, I guess.

§ Cathairetic §
Old April 25th, 2008, 8:07 pm
Winning Teamster

Nice.... well, you don't have to convince me of the value of Latin....

I am in the business of convincing others..... OK, I guess I am more of a Greek Geek - but Latin is a very fine language as well - and probably more relevant at least to English speakers.

The one thing I find amazing about Latin is just how 'economical' it is in terms of the space it needs to say something. Usually English is a short language compared to others (e.g. 100 pages of English will be about 125 in German). But when you see a Latin text and the English translation alongside each other, you see that English is in turn at least 20% 'longer' than Latin.

I think that's amazing.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old April 29th, 2008, 6:42 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelkoh7 View Post
Ave, oh quick question ... my school's motto is Discere Sevire , to learn to serve however our Principal is quite daft in that he does'nt even know hoe to pronounce it ... if i remember my Latin correctly is is pronounced as Diskere Sevire In classical latin and in ecclestial latin it is Disere Sevire right ?

Ave Caesar Morituri Salutant ,

Dulce et Decorum est, Pro patria mori
You've got the discere right (with the c pronounced like a k), but also the v would be pronounced like a w. I don't know about the ecclestial Latin pronunciation though.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
Old June 2nd, 2008, 8:32 pm
First Year

I'm going to *attempt* to teach myself Latin over the summer since I have over three months off.

I'll probrably start with simple vocab, and then move on to a bit of grammar. My local library is quite cool though, because they stock these practise books which have phrases and sentences in for you to translate, if anyone is interested I can give the names of the books (going to get and check them out tomorrow when I get into the town centre) so you can buy/rent them to practise.

Also is it just me, (being in England and all) but when you walk around churches there is Latin engraved...does anyone else but me want to know what it means when they walk around?

Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:51 pm
First Year

I made a desperate attempt several years ago to teach myself Latin, mainly because I was studying law, but also because I just like the sound. The declensions, etc were too much for me. My study pre-dated the "For Dummies" books, but I bought a couple of books similar to today's "For Dummies", but that didn't help. I gave up on it, but reading the Potter books has made me want to try again. Maybe when I retire (soon) and have more time to devote to it.

Old July 25th, 2008, 2:24 am
First Year

Uggghh....I'm dreading taking third year Latin this coming term. It's so complicated (though that may just be the teacher's fault ). Latin is incredibly helpful if you want to learn the languages that are derived from it and increase your English vocabulary, but I thought trying to learn it was very difficult.

Old July 25th, 2008, 9:48 am
Winning Teamster

awww... beckster.... stick with it. It is a really tough learning curve for the first two years, till you have the main vocab, verb forms and so forth under your belt. Once that's done, the fun starts, because you can actually do something with it.

It's sad if teachers make it such a torture, though, because I think even the basic bit of dealing with all the nuts and bolts of the language can be rather fun, because there is (in my experience anyway) no better way of understanding much more about languages in general (at least Indo-European ones) than learning Latin. At least you can indeed see the hard work as a rather useful exercise for all sorts of other languages.

Good luck with it!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old July 31st, 2008, 6:58 am
Second Year

I picked up a Latin learning book at the bookstore, and learned a bit of vocabulary and grammar, but my brain froze when I got to all the stuff dealing with declensions. I re-read everything about it several times, and I still don't understand what the purpose of the different declensions is, nor how words are categorized into each. Is it all a matter of memorization, that I'll have to know beforehand if a word is in one declension or another?

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:56 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameow View Post
I picked up a Latin learning book at the bookstore, and learned a bit of vocabulary and grammar, but my brain froze when I got to all the stuff dealing with declensions. I re-read everything about it several times, and I still don't understand what the purpose of the different declensions is, nor how words are categorized into each. Is it all a matter of memorization, that I'll have to know beforehand if a word is in one declension or another?
The declensions show what the subject of the sentence is and so on. In English, word order dictates what the sentence means. In Latin, word endings dictate what the sentence means. For example...

The dog bites the man.
The man bites the dog.

Those two sentences mean completely different things simply because the word order was switched.

Terram agricolarum puella amat.
Puella agricolarum terram amat.

Even though those two sentences in Latin have a different word order, they mean the exact same thing because of the endings that I underlined.

The endings of Latin words are equal to the order of English words in a sentence, so they are very important. With simpler sentences, you can cheat a little by just putting the words together for them to make sense.

For example, if you translated "Terram agricolarum puella amat" by looking at the word order, you would get "Land of farmers girl loves." That doesn't read in English well, and it's obvious that it should be "The girl loves the land of farmers." However, you'll run into trouble if you don't know your declensions when you run into a harder sentence.

Also, look at this sentence: "Marcum nihil terret." Marcum = Marcus, nihil = nothing, and terret = frightens. It is very tempting to translate this sentence as "Marcus frightens nothing." But that would be wrong, because Marcum is accusative. The correct translation is "Nothing frightens Marcus." The only way anyone could ever get that correctly would be if they understood the declensions.

Here's a chart that I used that helped me understand the declenions (taken out of the book Latin for Dummies ) :
Nominative: The subject. (The cook burned the cookies.)
Genitive: Indicates possession. (The survival of the team depends on working together.)
Dative: Indirect object. (The commissioner gave the man a medal for bravery.)
Accusative: Direct object, purpose, or motion toward something. (Who let the dogs out?)
Ablative: Expresses how, when, where, or why. (The general was informed with a message.)

Learning declensions was the biggest pain for me, but once you see the charts so many times, it looks less foreign and it's easy to memorize. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Spirit; August 1st, 2008 at 12:01 am.
Old August 1st, 2008, 2:40 am
First Year

In english you only have nominativus and genetivus... I think I am really lucky to talk icelandic because the latin declensions are almost the same in Icelandic and Latin and i really wouldn't like to learn them if I wasn't a native Icelandic speaker. Declensions, I think, is very hard to learn and understand if you haven't had them in your language your whole life. Certain words direct the following word in this or that declension and it is something one has to feel I think...

And Spirit, you forgot the vocativus which is only seen in 2. declension, masculin, nom: serv-us, voc: serv-e. But it still exists, and if we want to be extreme we could say it even exists in English:

-Dic verum, serve!

-Tell the truth, slave!

Then slave, if we want to be extreme, then we can say that slave is vocativus in english as well as in latin...

As I've said before, I really wouldn't like to learn latin and all its declensions if I hadn't Icelandic as my mother tongue.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory." -Albus Dumbledore

Old September 25th, 2008, 2:22 am
First Year

Hey guys! I was just wondering if you could tell me how to say "open, please" or "please open" in Latin? I need it for a fan fic I'm writing.

Thanks in advance!
Katie

go 'claws!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab