Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Dubbing in movies

Old January 8th, 2011, 10:57 pm
First Year

Dubbing in movies

What do you guys think about dubbed movies or tv shows?
I know it often sounds awkward when you're watching a movie that you already know, or with actors you know, and hear different voices and - most of all I think - different inflection and emphasis, but in the same way it seems to be the best way to hear the real language, accents, pronunciation, way of saying and so on when you can't talk with natives.
Then, it is interesting to hear that native people speak the same language with different accent, I'm always amazed when I recognize that.

What about you?

Old January 9th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Dubbing in movies

I only like bad dubbing in movies.

Old January 9th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Eldest Gruff

I was quite stunned when I heard the dubbed 'Dr House' voice for the very first time since I knew it for so long in English. But I never had problems to watch a film or show in my language first and then in the original (like English) later on.

Still - and since we're in the language lab here - I'd liked my country to stop dubbing films. I'm very aware that I'm privileged to have a quite good knowledge of different languages, but the same time I believe many other people had too, if we just didn't translate everything. Even if you don't know the language at all, reading subtitles isn't that of a exhausting experience. It's not so much that I think that the original language always is "better" or more "perfect" (in fact I think dubbing studios do a pretty great job these days), but I believe keeping films original would lower some language borders. It works great in countries like Denmark, Sweden or Norway.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 9th, 2011, 3:30 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

It's more annoying when movies which are made in Anglophone countries with English speaking casts are dubbed in the US. The most notable example which springs to mind is Mad Max. (Leaving aside the fact that the dialogue wasn't a central attraction.)

I think The Castle got the same treatment. I know for sure that the dialogue was changed so that Americans wouldn't be confronted with challenging issues like rissoles.

The only real problem with dubbing I have is sometimes they use the worst voices. Night Watch was particularly bad. In cases like that I'd prefer sub-titles.

That said the dubbing in Das Boot was excellent.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 9th, 2011, 3:58 pm
First Year

What...wait they use to dub movies from english to...english? I mean BE to AE? That doesn't make sense to me, I used to think that native english speaker were able to understand english spoken with any kind of accent, well maybe I misunderstood your post...
And I don't totally agree with gertiekeddle, yes watching subbed movies and tv shows would lower the language borders but it would be better to have a choice, like on a dvd, to hear the dubbed version or enable subtitles (or anything, indeed).
Just think about kids: we're fast reading subs, but they are not, and they also start watching tv before they learn to read, so they need the dubbed versions.
And then, it's useful to learn languages
I wrote it fast so sorry if I made typos or weird expressions ^_^

Old January 9th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox View Post
What...wait they use to dub movies from english to...english? I mean BE to AE? That doesn't make sense to me, I used to think that native english speaker were able to understand english spoken with any kind of accent, well maybe I misunderstood your post...
It was Australian English but it was dubbed even though Mel Gibson hardly any Australian accent having been born and partly raised in the US.

Native English speakers are generally able to understand each other but there are extreme accents and dialects.

If I remember the mini-series Looking After Jo-Jo was subtitled everywhere outside of Scotland where it was made.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old January 9th, 2011, 4:54 pm
First Year

Um, that's not so cool, I like to hear the different accents from the natives, i.e. I watched the english tv series "Him & Her" months ago, and it was cool to listen to how they pronounced words, in a way so different from the "english" I am used to.
Like mate pronounced "mite" (I spent 2 episodes thinking they all were called Mike, lol).
If they would have dubbed it into american english/accent it would have been just stupid, to me.

Old January 10th, 2011, 12:23 am
Fourth Year

I hate watching dubbed movies. It's okay if it's a cartoon, but if it's with real actors (there's probably a word for it, but I don't know it), it's just annoying, the voices can be all wrong, and the translation of lines is often pretty much rubbish. Also, it looks weird when what someone says doesn't match the way their mouth moves even remotely.

I live in Norway, and I'm so happy foreign movies are usually subtitled instead of dubbed here. They do dub children's movies though (Harry Potter 1-3, for example, are dubbed, and oh, the horror of being forced to watch them with Norwegian sound), which is logical - children are seldom very good in other languages than their mother tongue, and they either can't read or don't read fast enough for subtitles. The problem is, there are (apparently) very few people doing voice-acting here, because it's usually the same people in every movie (also cartoons). It's so weird hearing Bagheera, Piglet and Rabbit, Goofy, Puumba, and the Cookie Monster's voice coming out of Hagrid's mouth.

Another thing that's bothered me a lot in dubbed movies is, that there are so few characters who get voices with dialects from other areas of Norway than around Oslo. There is so much more of Norway than just that tiny part (although it has most inhabitants, I believe, but I may be wrong), and so many fun and interesting and beautiful dialects. There have been some dialect-varied movies, and a few more recently, but not enough, IMO.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old January 10th, 2011, 4:20 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
Also, it looks weird when what someone says doesn't match the way their mouth moves even remotely.
Ditto. I also prefer subtitles to voice dubbing on foreign language films.

On the issue of English to English dubbing due to accents, Hercules in New York (1970) is hilarious. It was Arnold Schwarzenegger's feature film debut, and they dubbed over his Austrian accent with the voice of a guy who had a thick American accent.

Old January 10th, 2011, 4:50 am
First Year

I always had subs when watching Korean and Japanese dramas and movies. It wasn't until I started watching anime that there were all these ones with dubs....

Anyway, I much prefer subtitles. I like hear the original sound and the actor's actual voices. I've actually caught on to a lot of Korean and Japanese phrases and quite a bit of their lingo, at a very fun level. I simply like to listen to and appreciate foreign languages. Dubs often don't seem to fit well, though more often in animes they are alright.

"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them."

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brains fall out.
Old January 10th, 2011, 8:42 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It's more annoying when movies which are made in Anglophone countries with English speaking casts are dubbed in the US. The most notable example which springs to mind is Mad Max. (Leaving aside the fact that the dialogue wasn't a central attraction.)

I think The Castle got the same treatment. I know for sure that the dialogue was changed so that Americans wouldn't be confronted with challenging issues like rissoles.
I noticed this just the other day while watching a fairly recent wildlife documentary. And the people in question hardly had 'ocker' accents.

In regards to The Castle - I assume that rissole was changed to either hamburger or meatloaf?

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old January 10th, 2011, 9:42 am

Meatloaf.

Old January 10th, 2011, 10:19 am
First Year

Yeah, I agree that sometimes the dubbing could be really awkward, but the point was about watching movies and tv shows in the language you are learning, not in your own XD.
Since I guess you are most native english speakers, and the majority of movies are american, this seems to be a way to hear people speaking in a different language when you can't talk with natives, at least to me.
I just discovered that Arnold Schwarzenegger has an Austrian accent, I never thought about that before lol.
I used to date a Norwegian girl for a while, her accent wasn't that bad.

Old January 10th, 2011, 11:44 am
Eldest Gruff

I actually only ever knew Schwarzenegger talking German, so it was quite funny for me to hear him speaking English once.

Since our dubbing system is quite advanced, I really can't complain about the quality. (Although it is weird to see a random actor talking with the voice of "Bruce Willis" in some totally different movie). I watched some English movies with Russian dubbing once what is quite more odd since a single Russian speaker often mostly 'reads' the lines over the full film - not exactly to the movement of the lips, but just as if reading a book. That imo neither helps improving language skills (you hear the original voices still, but they're not very good to understand), nor the enjoyment to watch a film.

Cox, that's a good point too: I enjoy watching Danish TV where I get Swedish or English films in original, but with Danish subs. I also enjoyed to watch HP in German once, but with Estonian dubs. Both of it helps when you try to improve your language skills, but still doesn't fully destroy the movie.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Oh, I just remembered! Once, during the "Star Wars Phenomenon" class that I took as an elective at USC, we were watching The Empire Strikes Back (2nd in the original Star Wars trilogy), and they were only able to get a French dub for the last reel* of the movie, even with George Lucas backing the class, and they didn't warn us about it before we started watching -- one moment they were all speaking English, and the next thing we knew, C3PO was suddenly speaking French into the intercom as they were escaping from Cloud City! It was very entertaining, to say the least. We got to hear Darth Vader saying "Non, je suis ton père."

[Of course, Darth Vader was dubbed in the original movies, too. He's much more frightening with James Earl Jones's voice, than with the voice of the actor that plays him on the screen.]

*the class was conducted in an actual movie theater, so we watched most of our movies=s as 35mm film projections

Old January 11th, 2011, 12:24 pm
First Year

I started to watch a new tv series yesterday, I'm having problems with the accent (Baltimore area) but just when there are black people talking (and that means for most of the time XD).
I don't understand why but it seems that black people - born and raised in the US I mean - talk with a different accent, like I dunno, a particular accent, and I'm just able to read subtitles without being aware of what they are actually saying.
I don't know if it's a Baltimore thing, but I don't have the same problem with the other guys, even though their accent it's not one of the easiest to understand.

Old January 12th, 2011, 12:18 am

Quote:
I started to watch a new tv series yesterday, I'm having problems with the accent (Baltimore area) but just when there are black people talking (and that means for most of the time XD).
I don't understand why but it seems that black people - born and raised in the US I mean - talk with a different accent, like I dunno, a particular accent, and I'm just able to read subtitles without being aware of what they are actually saying.
I don't know if it's a Baltimore thing, but I don't have the same problem with the other guys, even though their accent it's not one of the easiest to understand.
It's not confined to Baltimore. I think it's partly down to U.S. history and partly culture/society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...acular_English

Old January 12th, 2011, 10:44 am
First Year

Thank you
"Partly down to US history" down to, I didn't know this expression, does this means "the reason is", like "it's down to culture" = "the reason of this is cultural"?

But I read that this Black English, is common to Southern American English, so this means that the southern accent it's kinda similar?
So the peple living in Texas or Alabama, use to talk like that? I mean the white people. You know, the so-called *cough cough-rednecks-cough*.
I remember some girls from the south of the US (I don't remember exactly where), and yes they used to talk with a particular accent, but it was also different from this.
I don't mean to be racist or stuff, it's just about people talking in different ways.

Old January 12th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Thank you
"Partly down to US history" down to, I didn't know this expression, does this means "the reason is", like "it's down to culture" = "the reason of this is cultural"?
Yes.

Quote:
But I read that this Black English, is common to Southern American English, so this means that the southern accent it's kinda similar?
So the peple living in Texas or Alabama, use to talk like that? I mean the white people. You know, the so-called *cough cough-rednecks-cough*.
I remember some girls from the south of the US (I don't remember exactly where), and yes they used to talk with a particular accent, but it was also different from this.
I don't mean to be racist or stuff, it's just about people talking in different ways.
Well, there are actually several "Southern accents" in the US. I think it's related, at least historically, but not necessarily the same.

Old January 12th, 2011, 2:03 pm
First Year

Thanks
Anyway I watched the 2nd episode yesterday and I think I'm starting to getting used to it.
It remains quite difficult to follow anyway, I guess it will take me a lot of practice.
Sorry Pox Voldius but where are you from? I thought you were american but it's a little bit early in the morning in the USA now...
EDIT. Um, well, I checked and it's 9 am in New York, that's not as early as I thought...so where are you from?