Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

2012 Summer Olympics in London

Old August 1st, 2012, 1:06 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: 2012 Summer Olympics in London

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I missed the opening ceremony, except when they lit the torch. Is it possible to see it again?
It's gotta be online somewhere... I think most of it is here broken into clips: http://www.nbcolympics.com/search/in...ing%20ceremony

Anyone watch men's gymnastics last night? It was a crazy finish. Total emotional roller coaster. Go team GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc View Post
It was widely seen here as a dig at our present government who would love to dismantle the NHS (but know they dare not) But the Prime Minister could hardly complain since he had a disabled son who was treated at Great Ormond Street.
Ah, I would not have known that. The American announcers were commenting about how proud the British were for their accomplishment of NHS. I guess that bit of news didn't make it across the pond.

Old August 1st, 2012, 7:36 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Given that NBC placed Australia in central Europe, they can probably be forgiven for missing such subtleties.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/spo...0729-gu3a.html

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Given that NBC placed Australia in central Europe, they can probably be forgiven for missing such subtleties.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/spo...0729-gu3a.html
Very funny. Although I'm sure it's just a junior person cutting and pasting the info in the wrong place.

I'm annoyed that I was spoiled about Women's Gymnastics results on Facebook today.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 5:08 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I had no idea that American gold medal winners are taxed for their prize money and the gold medals. Any other country do this?

Old August 3rd, 2012, 7:55 am

Well, there is no prize money from the Olympics although some athletes get paid by sponsors or their own Olympic Committees or governments.

I'm not sure of the status of those payments in Australia. But athletes are taxed on prize money from other events which is fair as they are professional athletes and that is a source of income.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old August 3rd, 2012, 8:15 pm
Sixth Year

Team GB cyclists absolutely smashing it.

Bradley Wiggins has got to be my favourite gold medalist so far.

i'm in slytherin!
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:10 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdose View Post
Team GB cyclists absolutely smashing it.
The whole thing about the "accidental crash" has really taken the shine off it for me, I'm afraid. These are the kind of international headlines we could do without.

Old August 4th, 2012, 9:45 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Ennis, Rutherford and Farah, all win gold

14 golds for Britain so far

Old August 5th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Sixth Year

Gold for Murray. Splendid match from him; really took it to Roger. He finally gets that elusive win and I think this win will make all the difference when he plays his next slam final. Roger's marathon match against Del Potro seemed to have taken a lot out of him. Disappointed for Roger but better Murray than anyone else. Also really glad that Del Potro got bronze.

Old August 6th, 2012, 3:36 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I had no idea that American gold medal winners are taxed for their prize money and the gold medals. Any other country do this?
Pretty much anything that has monetary value can be taxed in the US. Or at least that's how it feels.

I was super pumped that my home town girls finished in the top ten of the women's marathon! Kara Goucher and Shalane Flanagan both did great even though neither had a chance of medaling.

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:12 am
Sixth Year

Since there is no actual prize cash for Olympic medalists from the Olympics themselves, the only money they will receive if they win a gold is through their home nation or sponsors. Since that counts as income, I would assume that every country taxes the winnings of gold medalists.

i'm in slytherin!
Old August 6th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Gold for Murray. Splendid match from him; really took it to Roger. He finally gets that elusive win and I think this win will make all the difference when he plays his next slam final. Roger's marathon match against Del Potro seemed to have taken a lot out of him. Disappointed for Roger but better Murray than anyone else. Also really glad that Del Potro got bronze.
He really tried his best at Wimbledon this year, and it was heartbreaking to watch him lose. But Gold for GB is awesome. Glad he could pull it through.

Old August 7th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Britain surpasses the Beijing gold haul

21 golds so far. 12 silver and 12 bronze

Great performance.

Old August 7th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Great performance.
It is remarkable - but I'm not sure about a Gold in Horse Dancing

Old August 7th, 2012, 5:47 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Make that 13 silvers

And 22 golds!

Last edited by AldeberanBlack; August 7th, 2012 at 6:05 pm.
Old August 8th, 2012, 4:14 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdose View Post
Since there is no actual prize cash for Olympic medalists from the Olympics themselves, the only money they will receive if they win a gold is through their home nation or sponsors. Since that counts as income, I would assume that every country taxes the winnings of gold medalists.
Well yes, it depends on one's country's tax policy... which I don't even begin to understand in general. But here, our agency, the IRS, prefers to know (under penalty of death) about all income earned abroad. But there are tax treaties that affect it, then exemptions, and exclusions, so who can really tell if and how much a typical athlete is taxed. I think in most cases nobody will be taxed twice at least.

But I don't know, maybe athletes feel differently, but most Americans always have the question "how much after taxes?" in mind when any amount of money comes up. And of course, the simple answer is always "Add the value of line 3c to the figure obtained from line 8 of schedule 1221 if that value is greater than 5000. If the value of line 8 of schedule 1221 is less than 5000, multiply it by the number of exemptions from line 3 of form 940e, and then subtract the value of line 3b."

Old August 8th, 2012, 7:30 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I was really pleased for Murray. Also glad to see that his medals have found a good home.

Old August 10th, 2012, 2:40 am

Speaking of medals, here's another way to view the tally; based on population and GDP.

By that measure the leaders are Grenada, Jamaica and Mongolia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/oly...dp-population/

Old August 10th, 2012, 8:02 am
Fourth Year

I have been to 4 events at this years games - Volleyball at Earls court, hockey and 2 lots of handball at Olympic park. Fantastic atmosphere at allthe events - it was impossible not to smile....

It was both the biggest crowd i have ever been in - and the safest I have felt in a crowd. It was wonderful - I didn't want to come home...

Old August 10th, 2012, 10:42 am
Zonko's Employee

What Yorkiedoodle said.

I was at Wembley last Saturday, watching Mexico v Senegal in the football (soccer) quarter-finals. And then at the Olympic Park on Sunday - - to watch women's basketball quarter-finals, two matches, first Australia v Canada and then China v USA. The Chinese girls were good shooters but the Americans had better moves.

I've never been in crowds that felt so happy and relaxed. I work in London and the atmosphere here has been the same ... I've never known the city feel so laid-back. By and large, with a few hiccups here and there, the transport system has NOT collapsed ... my own commute has been fine, no major problems at all.

The Games have been BRILLIANT. Team GB have done so well, I am so incredibly proud of them, but the British will cheer loudly for other people's athletes, too.

I am sad it is nearly over! What a golden fortnight it's been.

But we have the Paralympics to look forward to. I have tickets for that ... for one of the equestrian events. Greenwich Park is such a beautiful venue!

So is the Olympic Park. It's huge, and really beautiful, with its meadows planted with wildflowers, the river, the rowan trees and quirky little art installations like buried red telephone boxes!

http://www.treehugger.com/urban-desi...old-medal.html