Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Dumbledore's Cold Feet

Old March 21st, 2007, 10:59 am
Second Year

Dumbledore's Cold Feet

"Sir - Professor Dumbledore? Can I ask you something?"
"Obviously, you've just done so," Dumbledore smiled. "You may ask me one more thing, however."
"What do you see when you look in the mirror?"
"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick woollen socks"...p157 PS/SS

If this is really what Dumbledore sees, do you buy the explanation about not getting a single pair of socks for Christmas? I don't, although I don't believe Dumbledore is lying either. Just obmitting something maybe. But what?

The idea came to me that warm socks are used to releave cold feet. What would Dumbledore have cold feet about? Fighting LV? Needing to put respected and loved people at risk in order to fight LV? Needing to let Harry fight LV? Just a few suggestions!

Also, could this "cold feet" theory have anything to do with Dumbledore's begging while drinking the potion to retrieve the locket? Or what he said on the tower before being killed?

Have fun discussing - there is no such thing as a dumb idea!

Old March 21st, 2007, 4:47 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Dumbledore's Cold Feet

Good idea. We don't know why Jo chose to have Dumbledore say that. It could just be something random that she decided to have him say. She could have had him say anything, so why the socks? Maybe it is because he has cold feet about something.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Or face the wrath of the four-legged duckling of dooooom!

Severus Snape= Pauses Nerves
Deathly Hallows= The old hallways
Old March 21st, 2007, 5:08 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

You asked for it...here are my wild theories that all started with that mirror conversation and that led me to branch off into strange gifts (after all DD did say that Christmas had come and gone and he had not received a single pair of socks...)
After reading DD's and Harry's exchange at the mirror of Erised about socks. I thought DD might be planting a future idea about Harry freeing Dobby....based on DD saying he sees himself in the mirror holding a pair of thick woolen socks, another Christmas come and gone and hasn't received a single pair and that people insist on giving him books. For some reason this also made me think of the Dursley's giving Harry Uncle Vernon's old socks....what if the Dursley's gifts were somehow prophetic?

I started reading up on socks and I ended up here..
[urlhttp://www.answers.com/topic/sockSocks[/url] in popular culture

In western culture one of a pair of socks is popularly understood to disappear, usually at some point during the washing and drying process, leaving the owner with many socks without mates. There are any number of humorous theories to "explain" the disappearance.

* wormholes open in the dryer, sucking socks into a different part of the universe, a planet that closely resembles ours except that socks mysteriously appear out of nowhere, while coat hangers vanish. This sock displacement is explored by children's author Grant Slatter, whose series of "Oddies" books tells the story of the planet Oddieworld and its inhabitants - an odd sock utopia in a galaxy far, far away [2].
* Socks are the larval form of the coathanger. This neatly explains why there are always too few socks and too many coathangers.
* Socks are by nature cannibalistic, but they only eat their mates.

It has also been noted that disposing of a lonesome sock virtually guarantees that its long-lost mate will re-appear the next day.

I know you are probably saying, where in the heck is she going with this..but maybe the gift of socks to Harry symbolizes his introduction to the wizard world (a world that resembles the muggle world) and the coat hanger symbolizes the burden he will eventually have to "shoulder".

The quote above also reminds me of Dobby's preference to have mismatched pairs of socks.

Christmastime in SS, Harry receives a 50 pence from the Dursley's. For some reason this got me to thinking that this had something to do with the 50 years since Tom Riddle was Harry's age and I'm not sure about the pence part...Pince the librarian, a hint to "Prince" as in HBP potions book...

Then in COS at Christmas...the Dursley's give Harry a toothpick. Here I thought of Quidditch, toothpick= wood (Oliver Wood) or a toothpick resembles a piece of splintered wood (Harry's Nimbus 2000 flying into the Whomping Willow)...I even googled toothpick and found..a sport's game (swimming pool) called toothpick.
[urlhttp://www.answers.com/toothpick[/url]
Sports

The toothpick is the centerpiece for a pool game simply called toothpick. Players pick teams and one player dives to the bottom of the pool, placing the toothpick somewhere on the pool floor. The object of the game is to be the first to see the toothpick as it rises out of the water and grab it while jumping in before anyone else can. A player has to catch it in the air as they may not swim around for it or move their arms in the water to find it. A player can have multiple chances at it if they get out of the pool and jump again. Players from opposite teams can play defense against the other by boxing them out but can not push the other player into the pool or hold him back from jumping. However, a player can push an opposing player while he is in the air in order to change his flight path and miss the toothpick.

Do you think this game 'sort of' reminds you of Quidditch with the toothpick being the Snitch?

Harry doesn't receive a gift from the Dursley's in PoA, but then in GOF they send him a single tissue for Christmas. Perhaps this might be prophetic or foreshadowing for Sirius' death.

Harry hasn't received anymore "gifts" from them.

Additionally, Harry often hides or "socks away" special things to him like Felix, the sneakoscope, etc..with Uncle Vernon's old socks (plus he gives some to Dobby).

Wonder if there is a real meaning behind these socks or if JK just has a foot fetish?

What do you think of all this?

Hey maybe Harry is going to borrow Dobby's socks that scream loudly when they get stinky and suffocate LV with them....lol

I got carried away here though...
A friend here thought my sock prophecy was "entertaining"...I'm not sure that's the right word to use, but you'll have to be the judge...have fun!!

Old March 21st, 2007, 7:42 pm
Second Year

Or, it was just a meaningless but polite way of saying "none of your business" to a question that was to personal to answer.

Old March 21st, 2007, 8:08 pm
Fifth Year

I always thought it was just Dumbledore's way of not telling Harry what he saw in the mirror.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 21st, 2007, 8:22 pm
Second Year

I agree with Taupimu, but I always was a bit curious as to why Dumbledore chose cold socks, if it is a lie. Maybe he was hinting to Harry about something, which he seems to do so often. I've always wondered why there hasn't been more speculation as to why he said that. Maybe the Mirror will play a role in DH. I can't wait for it.

Mark.
Old March 21st, 2007, 8:36 pm
First Year

I think we all realized that Dumbledore wasn't exactly telling the whole truth about what was he saw in the mirror, but I like your idea about Dumbledore eluding to the fact that he had "cold feet" about something when saying he wanted some socks. This kind of word play sounds a lot like Dumbledore to me and even more like JKR. Maybe this is early foreshadowing of the prophecy. Dumbledore said in his prophecy explanation in OotP that he knew he had to tell Harry about the prophecy some day but couldn't bring himself to do it until it was too late (I'm paraphrasing here) which sounds a lot like having cold feet to me.

Old March 21st, 2007, 8:52 pm
Second Year

I think he's lying. I don't really see any other explanation but the obvious one that Dumbledore already has and has achieved everything he wants out of life.

Old March 21st, 2007, 9:58 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyHabitue View Post
I think we all realized that Dumbledore wasn't exactly telling the whole truth about what was he saw in the mirror, but I like your idea about Dumbledore eluding to the fact that he had "cold feet" about something when saying he wanted some socks.
Yes, very clever.

And in fact he did have cold feet, as we learned later...cold feet about telling little Harry of his apparent destiny to fight Voldemort to the death.

Old March 21st, 2007, 10:37 pm
First Year

Maybe this is Rowling's way of beginning to show the quirks in Dumbledore. We have seen through out the series the quirky and almost absurd nature of the man. He does love knitting patterns.

Old March 21st, 2007, 11:06 pm
First Year

I agree that Dumbledore was probably just telling Harry kindly that what he saw in the mirror was none of Harry's business, though I'd love to know what he really saw.

Old March 21st, 2007, 11:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitia pickleweed View Post
Yes, very clever.

And in fact he did have cold feet, as we learned later...cold feet about telling little Harry of his apparent destiny to fight Voldemort to the death.
Brilliant. I bet that is it. I've never really thought of it that way, but now that it got mentioned, I'm sure it's what he meant. He explained to Harry in HBP about "chickening out" to tell Harry about the prophecy.

Mark.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:03 am
First Year

I had always thought that it was just Dumbledore's way of telling Harry that it was none of his buisness, or that he said that to avoid telling Harry what he actually saw.

However I find the theory on Dumbledore's seeing Socks in the mirror indicating that he has Cold Feet about something. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps he had Cold Feet about his desison not to tell Harry about the Prophecy. I realise that Harry hand't asked why Voldemort went after him at that point, but Dumbledore would have already made the decision not to tell Harry about the Prophecy should he ask. Yeah you guys are right, that definitly makes sense

Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:06 am
Fourth Year

I think Dumbledore was just being silly, like when he said Oddment Blubber Tweak or whatever at the Feast in Year 1. I don't think it means anything in particular.

What the...?
Old March 24th, 2007, 7:45 pm
First Year

But I don't know about you - many people (including Harry) thought Dumbledore was not being entirely serious in GoF when he mentioned at the Yule Ball the magical toilet which appeared from nowhere, but this turned out to be critical. It strikes me as a similar thing. Though I do love the cold feet analogy.

Old March 24th, 2007, 7:57 pm
Fourth Year

I thought it was just DD quirky nature coming through. I believe the story about the christmas presents when you always get the same type of gift every year then getting anything else is better. Usually for most people this is the traditional pair of christmas socks

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:12 am
Second Year

I too just thought it was something he said as not to tell Harry what it is that he saw. I still do not read something into everything. I do miss alot of stuff this way.

Old March 25th, 2007, 1:20 am
First Year

At this point in story, Harry has known Dumbledore for only a few months. It's a fairly personal question, and Dumbledore is politely sidestepping. He knows that Harry and Voldemort will be locked in bitter battle for years to come, and this information, even if given for innocent reasons, could still end up as ammunition Voldemorts offense in the future.

Old March 25th, 2007, 5:04 am
Second Year

I also belive that it was DDs way of not telling the truth

Old March 25th, 2007, 5:26 am
Second Year

Same, I don't fall for the socks thing either.

He's one of the world's most powerful wizards, and the thing he wants most is a pair of socks that he can magically knit within a matter of seconds...

Doesn't add up.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives