Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Does Harry love the Dursleys?

Old June 12th, 2007, 6:53 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Does Harry love the Dursleys?

He may not admit it to himself, but deep down, he probably does love them to some degree. I mean, they are his family and they did bring him up. For 11 years, they were the closest thing to parents he had. Of course he may not want to kiss or hug them, but he does care... even it's it's not very much.

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:26 pm
Second Year

i think that deep down he is grateful for all they have given him... but he is treated poorly too often to think in a way that would ever put the dursleys in a positive light... this is one for the therapists to sort out, several therapist come to think of it...

I am finding out that maybe I was wrong
That I've fallen down and I can't do this alone

Stay with me, this is what I need, please?

Sing us a song and we'll sing it back to you
We could sing our own but what would it be without you?

Old June 14th, 2007, 10:33 pm
Second Year

Harry has grown up in the Dursley household and he has not been treated with love and care, but is mistreated. After being treated like this by the Dursleys, he most likely does not "love" them.

As for why he saved Dudley, well, Harry is compassionate and would save someone if he can do it. He was right there when Dudley was about to have his soul sucked, and despite being bullied by Dudley for so long he saved him, just as he stopped Sirius and Remus from killing Peter Pettigrew, even after knowing that Peter was the one who betrayed his parents.

Old June 15th, 2007, 12:09 am
Fourth Year

Harry is not fond of the Dursleys or loves them but he cares if some thing bad happened to him even if he was involved in that like what had happened with Dudley in book 5. But Harry doesn't love them, Look how they treat him. I other words, Harry doesn't hate the Dursleys or love them.

Old June 15th, 2007, 12:16 am
Seventh Year

Its hard to say they clearly shown him very little if any love. Aunt Petunia agreed to take him in but that may have been more for Lily, her sister. I think if he ends up showing any love for one of the Dursleys it will be his Aunt.

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:32 am
Third Year

I think he does.....deep down he has this familial bond within him that ties him with the Dursleys and the other way around

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:59 am
First Year

He didn't need to save Dudley. He did.

Also he thought he was expelled for sure when the ministry was coming to take his wand, why not use magic on Vernon for years of neglect.

"The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible."

Don't spoil or we send Snape!
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

www.myspace.com/thebluffersWombat 3:Exceeds Expectations

Last edited by MLynas; June 15th, 2007 at 12:05 pm.
Old June 15th, 2007, 4:29 pm
Second Year

The Dursleys are very mean to Harry. But sometimes it seems that they are nice to him. I could understand why Harry would hate them but I also think that deep down he really does love them. They did give him a place to live after all.....

DHS DRUMLINE
Old June 15th, 2007, 4:45 pm
Second Year

There is a big difference between love and like. Harry loves the Dursleys, he just doesn't like them.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goats of Aberforth
Old June 15th, 2007, 4:55 pm
First Year

I think he does love them, to some degree. He doesn't like them, that's for sure, but then again, who would? They're his only family, and I think, deep down, Harry wants their love too, especially his aunt's. He never felt it, and it's really sad. Makes me hate her even more

Old June 16th, 2007, 1:03 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylorn View Post
There is a big difference between love and like. Harry loves the Dursleys, he just doesn't like them.
I agree with this wholehartedly. I also have to say that Harry's ability to love is such a big storyline in the books that it would seem preposterous (sp?) that Harry would not love his only living relatives. As Greylorn said, he may not like them (at all) but he does love them deep down (way deep down).

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old June 28th, 2007, 1:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

im saying yes,hes grown up with them,the only family he has ,he did warn dudley not to openhis mouth when the dementor attack,if he didntcarefor him hewould have let the dementors suck his soul out,he wouldn have protected him.Hes agreat guy harry is.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 28th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Third Year

No! If harry liked the Dursleys, I don't know. Harry doesn't like the Dursleys.

Old June 28th, 2007, 2:22 pm
Sixth Year

I think you've totally hit the nail on the head. In HBP there is a scene with Dumbledore and Harry looking at thigns throught he pensive and Harry voices some observations that show pity for Voldemort and a sense that he feels bad for the life Tom Riddle had as a boy. This kind of feeling for the man who killed his parents is amazing, and I think is something only Harry would be able to do (in terms of characters in this series). I think this is a clear indication of the loving power within Harry, and is what makes Harry Voldemort's equal. They are equal - but opposite. Voldemort is the ultimate power of hatred, and Harry is the ultimate power of love. Harry knows and understands hatred, but Voldemort does not understand love, and this is what gives Harry the leg up on Voldemort in any final battle they will have. And since Harry is nowhere near as powerful as Voldemort in terms of magical ability, I think it is this power to love that will ultimately destroy "the Dark Lord" but will leave Tom Riddle remaining.

This same power to love is something Harry cannot control - and he is almost frced into loving those who are determined to hate him, and this includes the Dursleys.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy

Last edited by ID824; June 28th, 2007 at 2:29 pm.
Old June 28th, 2007, 4:29 pm
Second Year

I reckon that in some strange way Harry might love them a tiny little bit. Although they have made his life hell and do nothing but slag his parents off, there still his family and i can't imagine him not having the slightest feeling towards them. Maybe more to his Aunty tho cause she is the closest thing he has had to a real blood connected family memeber. However his real family has been the waesly's and Hermione and if it was between the two we all no who he would pick.

Old June 28th, 2007, 5:07 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
I think you've totally hit the nail on the head. In HBP there is a scene with Dumbledore and Harry looking at thigns throught he pensive and Harry voices some observations that show pity for Voldemort and a sense that he feels bad for the life Tom Riddle had as a boy. This kind of feeling for the man who killed his parents is amazing, and I think is something only Harry would be able to do (in terms of characters in this series). I think this is a clear indication of the loving power within Harry, and is what makes Harry Voldemort's equal. They are equal - but opposite. Voldemort is the ultimate power of hatred, and Harry is the ultimate power of love. Harry knows and understands hatred, but Voldemort does not understand love, and this is what gives Harry the leg up on Voldemort in any final battle they will have. And since Harry is nowhere near as powerful as Voldemort in terms of magical ability, I think it is this power to love that will ultimately destroy "the Dark Lord" but will leave Tom Riddle remaining.

This same power to love is something Harry cannot control - and he is almost frced into loving those who are determined to hate him, and this includes the Dursleys.
I totally agree with you his abitlity to love eventhose who have hurtedhim is his great power and soemhow it will be the ticket to victory over voldemort.

surprisingly swishy
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:57 am
Fifth Year

There is a very big difference between like and love. I don't think that anyone will disagree with me when I say that Harry does not like the Dursleys. However, I do believe that he loves them. It is definitely possible to love someone but not like them. They are his only living blood relatives, and he has grown up with them around. I think that love is kind of inherent in those situations.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old June 30th, 2007, 1:10 am
Hogwarts Graduate

very well made point...a bit confusing but yes,you love family even if you may not always like them.like with percy no doubt the weasleys love him but lately they dont like him much.

surprisingly swishy
Old June 30th, 2007, 2:52 am
Third Year

I don't think that that Harry loves the Dursleys. I think that in book seven he is going to learn something from them. Then he might appreciate them because but he will never love them as he loves The Weasleys'.

Dumbledore's Girl through and through.

Hay que evitar la fatiga. ~Noemi~

ˇViva la causa! ~Cesar Chavez~

I love The Beatles!

I love U2!

Old June 30th, 2007, 3:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretkeeper007 View Post
I have proof (well, what I'd call proof anyway..)
- When Harry is walking home with Dudley in OotP and the dementors come, Harry doesn't just save himself, but he tells Dudley what to do and drives the dementors away with his Patronus. Yes, Harry would've conjured a patronus anyway, but the point is that he saved his cousin too.
- "She was looking at Harry as she had never looked at him before. And all of a sudden, for the very first time in his life, Harry fully appreciated that Aunt Petunia was his mother's sister. He could not have said why this hit him so powerfully at this moment. All he knew was that he was not the only person in the room who had an inkling of what Lord Voldemort being back might mean. Aunt Petunia had never in her life looked at him like that before. Her large pale eyes (so unlike her sister's) were not narrowed in dislike or anger, they were wide and fearful. The furious pretence that Aunt Petunia had maintained all Harry's life - that there was no magic and no other world she inhabited with Uncle Vernon - seemed to have fallen away.
I think you might be wrong with that proof you got there. You see, as we all know well enough, Harry is a downright hero, so no matter if he hates dudley, he will still save him becouse he's a gryffindor. If it would have been Draco, he would let Dudley's soul suck out by those dementors.
Now for the second text I think you're wrong too. You see, Petunia only looks at him like that becouse she knows what it meens that Voldemort's back and she looks at Harry and not at anybody else becouse he is the only one who understands that too.

But this is only my way of looking at it and don't get me wrong, I would really want Harry and the Dursley's to seperate as friends or something like that. However let's be honest; what are the chances of that...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives