Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Does Harry love the Dursleys?

Old July 5th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Banned

Re: Does Harry love the Dursleys?

I don't think Harry loves the Dursley at all. Love is earned. The Dursley's have done nothing to earn that love. They housed, fed and clothed Harry (Just barely). They were never kind. They never hugged him or cared what his worries were.

I often wondered in DD put him there because of that. so he would have Harry "tabla rasa" when he came to Hogwarts, unlike Riddle who came already inflated with himself.

Harry saved Dudley because he is good. He would not let harm come to someone. It was a matter of right and wrong. He, of course, chose to do the right thing. He had one year of love and joy from his parents and this makes a huge impact on who he is. Children feel at a very young age. Harry was loved and because of that can love in return. The Dursley's will have to earn that.

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2007, 8:30 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
very well made point...a bit confusing but yes,you love family even if you may not always like them.like with percy no doubt the weasleys love him but lately they dont like him much.
I agree as well. I think Harry loves them. Many people have family members they can't stand personally but still have some love for them. Well, that is true for me, anyway. I can't explain why that is, though.

Old July 5th, 2007, 9:11 pm
Second Year

i dont think he could ever Hate them... whether that means he loves them or not, im not certain.
But i would probably say that YES he does love them, deep down...very deep down (very, very deep down)

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 5th, 2007, 9:38 pm
First Year

Love? I don't know.

Honestly, though, whether Harry loves any of the Dursleys or not, I believe he would have saved Dudley anyway. It's the right thing to do and Harry tends to go for that option.

Old July 6th, 2007, 1:06 am
Second Year

i think harry hates them and would perfer never to see them agian but if they were in danger he would go to thier aid like anyone even if they were a stranger.
we see that he would help them when he dosnt just let dudley die in ootp he saves him even though his life at hogwarts is in jepordy

i love it!
Old July 6th, 2007, 1:13 am
First Year

Yea, I believe that love is earned just like respect. The Dursleys have done nothing to earn Harry's love and in fact, they have earned Harry's hatred.

Old July 6th, 2007, 1:23 am
First Year

When Petunia took Harry in, I don't think she loved him. Love would be rather a strong word in this case. But she did feel some sort of affection towards him, since he is after all her dead sister's son. I don't think she hated Lily as much as she says she does. The same with Harry. She did provide Harry a home (though not very warm), food, and by this sealed the charm Lily did when she sacrificed herself for Harry.

The same with Harry: I don't think he really loves them, and neither do I think he loathes them. He did save Dudley from the Dementors; he did feel a rush of gratitude that Petunia was his mother's sister and understood things about the magical world. But he doesn't love them. He feels sort of committed to them, the way Petunia probably felt when she took him in.

The Dursleys made sure to torment Harry's life, and leaving the Dursleys may be a very happy experience for Harry. Yet, I see your point. He does have some sort of feeling towards the Dursleys.

Old July 6th, 2007, 2:19 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus1500 View Post
When Petunia took Harry in, I don't think she loved him. Love would be rather a strong word in this case. But she did feel some sort of affection towards him, since he is after all her dead sister's son. I don't think she hated Lily as much as she says she does. The same with Harry. She did provide Harry a home (though not very warm), food, and by this sealed the charm Lily did when she sacrificed herself for Harry.

The same with Harry: I don't think he really loves them, and neither do I think he loathes them. He did save Dudley from the Dementors; he did feel a rush of gratitude that Petunia was his mother's sister and understood things about the magical world. But he doesn't love them. He feels sort of committed to them, the way Petunia probably felt when she took him in.

The Dursleys made sure to torment Harry's life, and leaving the Dursleys may be a very happy experience for Harry. Yet, I see your point. He does have some sort of feeling towards the Dursleys.
Very well said! I completely agree with it.

Old July 6th, 2007, 2:26 am
Second Year

Once you live with someone for a certain amount of time, you grow close to them. It isn't love, but it keeps you from hating them. Deep down inside. In Harry's case, it is very deep, but that feeling of closeness is there. He wouldn't go up and say "hi" to them on the street, yet, he would pay some attention to them. It is a hate-somewhat hate relationship. I wouln't call that emotion love though.

Old July 6th, 2007, 2:36 am
Arithmancer

I don't believe that Harry hates them. Hate would be a strong word for how he feels for them. I believe he feels dislike. I believe hate would be a word reserved for Umbridge.

Towards Vernon I do not believe for one minute that there will ever be love or any sort of loving feeling towards him.

If it had not been for Petunia then Harry would have never had a home for protection. She allowed it. Vernon took Harry in because of Petunia. At least this is the way that it looked to me in OOTP when Petunia received the howler from Dumbledore.

Vernon has not an ounce of caring for Harry. However I believe that Petunia does but I believe magic frightens her. And I believe that there is a sort of feeling that Harry has deep down for her. After all she is his mother's blood.

Dudley, I don't believe he has any sort of love there for him either.

So yeah maybe he has a feeling for Petunia, being his blood and all but not for Vernon and Dudley.

Old July 7th, 2007, 6:31 pm
Secret Keeper

i know that Harry hates them, but deep deep down, he loves them and they're family, if they were in danger of being murdered, i'm sure he would at least try to save them.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 7th, 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Elephant

Oh, no matter how much their giving him house room and their keeping him might mean, love is not even possible when he has constantly been treated as badly as they have treated him. He might not hate them and is very likely to not be able to be apathetic toward them, love is almost unfathomable.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old July 7th, 2007, 7:11 pm
Second Year

I dont think Harry loves them. I dont think he hates them either but i think they hurt him too much for him to forgive them completely. I think he would protect them, as he does Dudley in the alley, because he is a good person.

Please read my first fiction

Just Like Real MagicAnd leave Feedback

Go on, try it you might like it!
Old July 7th, 2007, 7:15 pm
Third Year

I think he does love them in that kind of doesn't want them to get hurt/die kind of way, he is a good person and wouldnt like to see any one hurt really as bellatrix said in the MoM You need to really hate to really want to cause pain to perfom an unforgiveable and Harry cant do that even to the person that has just killed Sirus, so yes in a way he does love them ....but does he love them in the way he loves the trio or the weasley's no, i dont think so maybe something will change in 7 and he might be able to work a bit on that relationship but at the moment its a long way off, im afraid.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 7th, 2007, 7:30 pm
First Year

It doesn't matter if they gave him a house and food. They basically treated him like a dog instead of a human being. I've seen dogs that were treated much better than Harry was with the Dursleys. C'mon, they freaking put metal bars in his windows and were starving him! Petunia didn't even try to defend Harry then.

Dudley should be counting his lucky stars that Harry at least shows some ounce of mercy to him, otherwise, he'd be dead or a lumbering zombie right now.

Harry hates them, but he has such a kind and caring nature that he'll save them if they were about to die or be hurt. They had better be grateful if Harry saves them from the DE. Plenty grateful. If Harry had been some other wizard, Dudley would probably be dead right now.

Old July 7th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldie153 View Post
Harry hates them, but he has such a kind and caring nature that he'll save them if they were about to die or be hurt. They had better be grateful if Harry saves them from the DE. Plenty grateful. If Harry had been some other wizard, Dudley would probably be dead right now.
He hates them but he loves them they are the only family he has know and Iím not saying that he hasnít been treated appallingly by them but I think there is enough love there to rebuild something, depending on the actions taken in book 7

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 7th, 2007, 7:50 pm
Second Year

yeah, i definietly agree with a lot of people who have posted here that Harry doesn't really LOVE them, as they always treated him like an unwanted fly on the wall who was just there to annoy them. he saved dudley because he has his "saving people thing", and he is a good, loving person so he wouldn't let someone - not even dudley - die at his hands. i think we can all agree that if it came down to it, harry would save even some one like malfoy's life if he had too, because harry just has that kind of heart.

"It is important to fight, to fight again, and to keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."
--Albus Dumbledore
Old July 7th, 2007, 8:34 pm
Third Year

I think he hates only Vernon. I don't think he hates Petunia and Dudley. He dislikes them but does not hate them.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old July 8th, 2007, 1:20 am
Third Year

I was definitely going to start a thread just like this, because I believe that Harry has always wanted the Dursleys to love him.
Quote:
Harry couldn't feel too excited about this. He didn't think the Dursleys would like him any better in Majorca than they did on Privet Drive.
CoS, page 7.
There are more, but they are similar. Harry has never known familial love that only the Dursleys *could've* give him. Fortunately he found the Weasleys to give him that. But I think, secretly, he has always wanted his Aunt and Uncle's love (or at least their civility and respect) because they raised him and that's just natural. One more book, one more goodbye and one more chance for reconciliation.

UNIQUE: Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.

MySpace is fun.

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old July 8th, 2007, 1:33 am
First Year

I think that Harry will always dislike Vernon, and Vernon will always dislike Harry... But, I think that, wheather he wants to admit it or not, Harry does love, or at least have deeper feelings for his Aunt. I think he realizes that she is his only family connection and that he must rely on her for some things, and that, although Harry and Petunia may never openly acknowledge their feelings for each other, I think that they both do care for each other in a sense. I'm not entirely sure wheather Harry "loves" Dudley, or even has deeper feelings for him. But, I don't think he hates him, or else he probably wouldn't have saved Dudley, along with himself from the Dementors.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives