Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

How did Dippet die

Old June 23rd, 2007, 7:12 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Re: Did Lord Voldemort kill Headmaster Dippet?

The motive is not very good. If Voldemort wanted to have the DADA job, then he would have been better off with Dippet as Headmaster than Dumbledore. Dumbledore never trusted Tom Riddle, and I think Tom knew this.

So too would it have been a better play to quietly kill the current DADA teacher if that is the post he wanted. Dumbledore was Transfiguration Teacher, so his promotion to Headmaster left Transfiguration open, not DADA.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:44 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Do we know who the DADA teacher in that era was? I agree that LV may have, er, removed the DADA teacher, hoping to get the post himself. Then Dippett may have died of natural causes, or resigned, and the plan was busted.
The whole timing of DD becoming headmaster and LV applying for the job just seems kind of suspicious. The thread title is one possible explanation; but there may be more. I should note that the idea for this thread was not my own - it was an offshoot of one of the horcrux hunting threads .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 25th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think we're told who is the DADA teacher after Riddle's DADA teacher retired (I forgot the name but Riddle mentions that he is retiring during Slughorn's party). I think it seems reasonable that Voldemort would dispose of whoever replaced the retiree, in order to create a space in the faculty. I don't think there was enough time for whoever replaced the retired DADA teacher to retire himself.

Old June 25th, 2007, 9:32 pm
First Year

How did Dippet die

A search didnt turn up anything but please feel free to delete this if you think it's not relevant. so this thread is opened to see how Headmaster Dippet met his end. If you think it was voldy please go hereCLICKY, however everyone else fire away.

Was it Grindlewald? Something else?

All H/G Shippers go to SIYE now for the best h/g fanfiction!

VOTE SAXON!

MASSIVE DH
Spoiler: show
Mwahahahahahahaaaa! Serves You Right For Looking!
Old June 25th, 2007, 9:42 pm
Second Year

Re: How did Dippet die

I'm not sure of any character who killed Dippet - keep your mind open to the possibility that he died from a backfiring spell/ incorrectly mixed potion/ natural causes.

It is an interesting mystery to ponder, though...

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them page xiLittle could be heard over the squawking of the Diricrawls, the moaning of the Augureys, and the relentless, piercing song of the Fwoopers. As wizards and witched attempted to consult the papers before them, sundry pixies and fairies whirled around their heads, giggling and jabbering. A dozen or so trolls began to smash apart the chamber with their clubs, while hags glided about the place in search of children to eat. The Council Chief stood to open the meeting, slipping on a pile of Porlock dung and ran cursing from the hall.

Proud Member of the Admitting-I-Could-Be-Wrong Club.
Old June 25th, 2007, 9:49 pm
First Year

I'm of the opinion he died doing something heroic, like helping DD defeat Grindlewald on school grounds or summat.

All H/G Shippers go to SIYE now for the best h/g fanfiction!

VOTE SAXON!

MASSIVE DH
Spoiler: show
Mwahahahahahahaaaa! Serves You Right For Looking!
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:21 pm
First Year

Well this isn't a Voldemort theory, but I'm pointing out that it would be impossible, because Dippit died before Voldemort came to power, I think, anyway, I believe that it was probably natural cause.

Old June 25th, 2007, 11:10 pm
Second Year

I never really thought about how he died i just always assumed that he died from natural causes because there isnt really anything to suggest otherwise. As with the Grindelwald theory im not too sure as like i said ive never really thought about it. I suppose it might have been something to do with maybe him helping Dumbledore to defeat him but then again if it was relevent to the plot then it would have been mentioned before.

Well from the look on Deans face its looks like someone has just spoiled Deathly Hallows!!

DONT MESS WITH THE WINCHESTERS!!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:18 pm
Fifth Year

I think Dippet was still alive ten years after Grindelwald's defeat. There was some speculation about how Dippet died in this thread: Why Did Professor McGonnagal Start Working at Hogwarts in December?

Old June 26th, 2007, 12:31 am
Second Year

probably old age i can't remember but i'm pretty sure that he was rather old in the chamber of secrets memory. Not all wizards live to be as old as dumbledore

Old June 26th, 2007, 12:45 am
First Year

definatly natural causes because if he was killed or poisoned it would have definatly been mentioned

BaHrAiNi WiZaRd
Old June 26th, 2007, 6:03 am
Registered Animagus

Voldy killing Dippet would not create the job opening Voldy wanted. He wanted the DADA position. The only opening that HAD to come of Dippet's death was the Transfiguration position - since that had been Albus' old job. That job was taken by Minerva at mid-year (Dec). There would then not be an immediate opening in DADA. Voldy would have been applying for the next school year at best.

Note however that we do NOT know that Voldy came after a job immediately after Albus became Headmaster. We actually only know that Albus became Headmaster in Dec'56 because that's when Minerva became Transfiguration professor.

We do not have any indication what year Voldy came to interview - only that it was after he had disappeared for 10 years. And he had to have been at Borgin&Burkes long enough for Hezipah Smith to trust him considerably. Voldy finished Hogwarts in June'45 and then he works at B&B for an undisclosed period of time, then disappears for 10 years. It IS possible that he did just return from 10 years away and still shows for a job interview in Dec'56 therefore.

But it seems more likely that even with her 'fascination' with 'Tom', Hezipah would not have shown him her heirlooms without some kind of 'trust' built up.

And B&B was a perfect cover for him to search out 'artifacts' to use for horcruxes. Not to mention that he had apparently already created a horcrux by the time Hezzie shows him her Cup and Locket (diminished good looks) - so sometime between leaving Hogwarts and running off for 10 years there had to be time for Tom to have found out how to make a horcrux. And B&B is the spot for Dark Arts - I assume they would deal in inherited books as well as lockets.

Lastly, Voldy has the beginning of his DEs with him that night. IF it was as early as '56, then why does it take until '70 for the war to begin?

I tend to think he worked at B&B for a few years - finding out everything he could learn from there - then returns from 10 years 'away' sometime in the '60s

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old June 26th, 2007, 6:43 am
Fifth Year

I don't remember reading anything that would suggest this. I don't remember reading about Dippet's cause of death. Was it stated somewhere in the books? If so, I must have missed that one. I just got done rereading HBP and don't remember anything unusual about Dippet's death or much of a mention about it.

*Thanks Dedalus Diggle for the cool and hilarious siggie.
Old June 26th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

There's nothing regarding how Dippett was removed from the Headmaster's office. As far as I know, there's not even a JK quote. So, there's a major void of information. I started the thread b/c of a debate on the horcrux hunting thread - and I'll admit it hadn't occured to me that the meeting might not have been right after DD became headmaster (that it might have been a few years later). I actually doubt myself that LV killed Dippett, but I can't rule it out in the lack of negative canon.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 26th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Fifth Year

I have been giving this some thought and I feel that Voldemort would rather have appealed to Headmaster Dippet than Prof. Dumbledore. I do remember from the books that Dippet was fond of Voldemort and did not see him as he truly was. Voldemort knew Prof. Dumbledore was keeping a close eye on him at school and also that Dumbledore knew of his past. I think Voldemort would not have killed Dippet for the reason of getting a job because he would have probably wanted to ask him than Dumbledore. I think LV knew he didn't have a chance at a job with Dumbledore being headmaster.

*Thanks Dedalus Diggle for the cool and hilarious siggie.
Old June 26th, 2007, 8:54 pm
First Year

I doubt he would kill DIppet untill after he had secured the Dark Arts job. Even then I doubt it because he wanted the job to explore Hogwarts and discover it's many secrets. Having Dippet a teacher who was fond of young Tom Riddle would have made searching the school much easier.

Wonder what he'd have been called if he got the job. Professor Riddle would have drove him mad.

"The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible."

Don't spoil or we send Snape!
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

www.myspace.com/thebluffersWombat 3:Exceeds Expectations
Old June 26th, 2007, 9:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
So too would it have been a better play to quietly kill the current DADA teacher if that is the post he wanted. Dumbledore was Transfiguration Teacher, so his promotion to Headmaster left Transfiguration open, not DADA.
but if he killed him right after getting turned down for the job that would look to suspiscious.
he asks for job, gets turned down, teacher ends up dead.
dont you think someone wouldve seen the connection?

Old June 26th, 2007, 9:07 pm
Sixth Year

I don't think this is a likely scenario, but I would find it plausible that Voldemort "encouraged" the previous DADA teacher to retire - much in the same fashion that Morfin and Winky admitted to the murders they had committed.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:47 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsCool2 View Post
but if he killed him right after getting turned down for the job that would look to suspiscious.
he asks for job, gets turned down, teacher ends up dead.
dont you think someone wouldve seen the connection?
He was able to kill his father,his grandparents, his uncle, and Hepzibah Smith without too much suspicion being raised. He could just have someone else admit to the murder just like he did before.

Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
There's nothing regarding how Dippett was removed from the Headmaster's office. As far as I know, there's not even a JK quote. So, there's a major void of information. I started the thread b/c of a debate on the horcrux hunting thread - and I'll admit it hadn't occured to me that the meeting might not have been right after DD became headmaster (that it might have been a few years later). I actually doubt myself that LV killed Dippett, but I can't rule it out in the lack of negative canon.
I think if Voldy wanted to create a staff opening, he probably axes another teacher, one not in charge of the hiring. Like others have said, Dippett seems like he would have given Voldy the ob eventually, and Voldemort was smart enough to realize Dumbledore was next in line and wouldn't give him the job.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives