Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why was Hermione staying at 12 Grimmauld Place?

Old June 29th, 2007, 6:28 pm
Third Year

Re: Why was Hermione staying at 12 Grimmauld Place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinoema View Post
If she was invited to GP for Harry's benefit, then why didn't Dumbledore fetch Harry there as soon as the Weasleys and Hermione arrived, and not weeks later?
There are a probably a couple of reasons for that. Dumbledore was worried about Voldemort using Harry to spy on him. He even tells Harry this at the end of OotP. And Harry had just gone through a very shocking ordeal, so I'm guessing Dumbledore wanted to give him a bit of a break from things--knowing full well Harry wanted back asap. Also, there's the protection at the Dursley House. Dumbledore wanted to make sure that protection was fully 'recharged.' So, I suspect it was a combination of these things.

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:28 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyogoetophile View Post
There are a probably a couple of reasons for that. Dumbledore was worried about Voldemort using Harry to spy on him. He even tells Harry this at the end of OotP. And Harry had just gone through a very shocking ordeal, so I'm guessing Dumbledore wanted to give him a bit of a break from things--knowing full well Harry wanted back asap. Also, there's the protection at the Dursley House. Dumbledore wanted to make sure that protection was fully 'recharged.' So, I suspect it was a combination of these things.
None of that would have anything to do with Hermione though. We're discussing why Hermione spent the summer at Grimmauld Place - not why Dumbledore changed his mind regarding Harry after the dementors attacked him.

The only reason for Hermione to stay at Grimmauld Place was for her own safety. That is true for the Weasleys as well. Voldemort had just returned and - because Ron and Hermione are Harry's best friends - they were in a lot of danger. They had to be protected.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 30th, 2007, 12:51 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
None of that would have anything to do with Hermione though.
You said it's odd that Harry arrived at #12 long after Hermione and the others and that suggests Hermione wasn't there so much as for Harry as for her own safety. I was just pointing out reasons for why Harry wasn't taken immediately at #12 to show how it's possible that Harry arrived late but Hermione still partially there b/c of Harry.

Old June 30th, 2007, 1:03 am
Third Year

Quote by Night Seeker:
Quote:
The same reason she was always at the burrow...She is friends with the Weasleys and alot of times, friends like to stay at other friend's house in the summer holidays. Besides, with Voldemort back, she probably wanted to be more involved with the wizarding world and what was going on, remember her parents are muggles.
I totally agree with this. She is a part of Harrys support group. And they are but a few, especially since he has no parents for moral support. He really needs Ron and Hermione for his mental well being.

Old June 30th, 2007, 3:32 am
Third Year

I think that the reason she is there is because Hermione is everywhere where Ron and Harry are at. In book five, she didn't go on vacation with her family because she wanted to be with the her friends. I am glad that she is their because she is very resourceful and I understand what is going on.

Dumbledore's Girl through and through.

Hay que evitar la fatiga. ~Noemi~

ˇViva la causa! ~Cesar Chavez~

I love The Beatles!

I love U2!

Old June 30th, 2007, 4:34 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyogoetophile View Post
You said it's odd that Harry arrived at #12 long after Hermione and the others and that suggests Hermione wasn't there so much as for Harry as for her own safety. I was just pointing out reasons for why Harry wasn't taken immediately at #12 to show how it's possible that Harry arrived late but Hermione still partially there b/c of Harry.
Actually, Hinoema mentioned that - not me. Either way, we know what was going on with Harry. Dumbledore had intended to keep him at #4 Privet Dr. for as long as possible because that is where his strongest protection is - the charm that Dumbledore placed around his aunt and uncle's house. Taking him to Grimmauld Place was a risk because Harry had no additional protection there.

I don't think it's a good idea to drag this thread off topic because we're supposed to be discussing Hermione - not Harry. What is significant to this topic is Hermione's friendship with Harry because that was the reason she stayed at Grimmauld Place. The same holds true for Ron - and really the entire Weasley family. Voldemort is not above using those that Harry cares about against him. Being friends with Harry put them in danger and steps had to be taken to protect both Ron and Hermione because of that. The Weasleys have become Harry's surrogate family and he cares for them a great deal - they are in danger because of that and had to be protected. It was all about protecting the kids from Voldemort.

Hermione was at Grimmauld Place for her own protection.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 30th, 2007, 4:45 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuer3ssuci0 View Post
Harry is Voldemort's top target. And Voldemort would no doubt jump at the chance to use Harry's weakness against him: Harry's 'saving people' complex. Because Harry is such a high priority on Voldemort's list, his closest friends would be invaluable to Voldemort as leverage. Hermione's life is in extreme danger becuase of her relationship with Harry, and therefore her safety is of utmost concern. Grimmauld Place offered this safety. Also, the reason the Weasleys stayed at Grimmauld place wasn't because of there membership to the Order, it was because of their relationship with Harry. For the same reason as Hermione, all their lives weer in danger, and therefore they sought refuge at Grimmauld Place in the name of safety.
I agree. Voldemorts just that kind of sneaky ******* to do something like that! Voldemort would rather takeHermoine hostage than Ron, becouse her parents are muggles and then Harry, the heroic guy he is, would come to save her on his white horse...ahum I mean on his broom.

Old June 30th, 2007, 10:22 am
Fifth Year

It was where Ron was, wasn't it!

Old July 5th, 2007, 12:40 pm
First Year

Hermione was there for emotional support and it was a way to keep all three of them together over the holidays. Plus she is the voice of reason that would be able to calm Harry if Ron was not able to do it.

Old July 5th, 2007, 1:15 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliv3r View Post
Why was Hermione in the Order?

Ron was there because his parents were members, and Harry because he needs protection, but what was Hermione doing there? Surely, as she cannot listen to the meetings, she has no reason to be allowed to stay there?

Oli
The reasons given above all stood correct, however, (see below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfindorbeater View Post
dubledore trusts her and ron the way he trusts harry... they are the only ones hes allowed to tell about the pensieve (sp?) lesson things...

sorry no quotes, but i dont have my books on me...
and below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_yaks_alot View Post
Harry was in danger, and Ron and Hermione were associated with him, very closely associated, and therefore, by extention they too were in danger, its like Harry told Ginny when he broke up with her at the end of hbp,

Hermione is one of his bestfriends, and because of that she is in danger, and the headquarters is the safest place for her during the summer.
Certainly after the Prisoner of Azkaban, we frequently sees her with Harry and Ron. We can assume that she meets her parents for a few days, but let's also think that the three of them were bestfriends, that's why there's no point of Hermione staying at the library while everyone else were in #12...

(no bashing intended, no rejecting ideas intended, if ever this post shows disobedience, kindly attend to me asap. Thanks

Old July 5th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Fifth Year

As one of Hermione's biggest fans in the world, I will give you the reasons:

1.) She is in danger, she is one of Harry's best friends, and Voldemort is famous for using his enemy's loved ones. And Hermione is on the very top of the list, even higher than Ron.

2.) Harry always goes to Hermione, not Ron, for emotional support. And to be honest, if Hermione wasn't at GP, Harry would have been miserable. Hermione is one of the closest people in Harry's life. If you look at all the facts, Harry seems to care about Hermione more than anyone else.

3.) Voldemort has heard about her, and since she is a Muggle, Voldemort was surprised that someone from no magical heritage is the brightest witch of her age, and her bravery was admirable. Hermione has sobataged Voldemort's plans, and if it wasn't for Hermione, Voldemort would have been reincarnated a long way before. Remember, Harry can't defeat Voldemort without Hermione.

That's why.

Old July 5th, 2007, 3:23 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
Voldemort is not above using those that Harry cares about against him. Being friends with Harry put them in danger and steps had to be taken to protect both Ron and Hermione because of that. The Weasleys have become Harry's surrogate family and he cares for them a great deal - they are in danger because of that and had to be protected. It was all about protecting the kids from Voldemort.

Hermione was at Grimmauld Place for her own protection.
I agree with this. Hermione will have been advised to go to Grimmauld Place by the Order, and seeing as Ron was there she will have jumped at the opportunity. We don't know how many spies Voldemort has, and how closely he watches those that Harry loves.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 5th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred_Memories View Post
As one of Hermione's biggest fans in the world, I will give you the reasons:

1.) She is in danger, she is one of Harry's best friends, and Voldemort is famous for using his enemy's loved ones. And Hermione is on the very top of the list, even higher than Ron.

2.) Harry always goes to Hermione, not Ron, for emotional support. And to be honest, if Hermione wasn't at GP, Harry would have been miserable. Hermione is one of the closest people in Harry's life. If you look at all the facts, Harry seems to care about Hermione more than anyone else.

3.) Voldemort has heard about her, and since she is a Muggle, Voldemort was surprised that someone from no magical heritage is the brightest witch of her age, and her bravery was admirable. Hermione has sobataged Voldemort's plans, and if it wasn't for Hermione, Voldemort would have been reincarnated a long way before. Remember, Harry can't defeat Voldemort without Hermione.

That's why.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell right there I think. The Trio, when separated, in my mind, was very weak at that age. I think that they have become stronger as individuals since, but then I htink taht as individuals, they were weak.

Spoiler: show
I have 10 toes.

WeasleyGirl93
"why yes, I am crazy!"
dance, buffalo sabres hockey, and harry potter...yep...that's my life
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Third Year

Most people have posted great views about Hermione being at 12 Grimmauld Place, and my views are quite similar - that she was in danger, that she was invited, that DD saw the need for Harry to be with his best friends, and that includes her. Think also that this is not the first time she spends most of the summer with the Weasleys - in Gof she was at the Burrow before Harry got there, and in PoA, she was with them at the Leaky Cauldron (please correct me if I'm wrong). So it is just natural for the Weasleys to invite Hermione to come stay with them, it's just at 12GP this time instead of the Burrow, and I'm sure DD had no problem with that, being as he trustsher.
Also, it is Hermione who brings common sense to the conversations they have, she's the wise one. It was Hermione who told Ron what they could expect from Harry once he finally arrived at GP. I'm sure DD was counting on Hermione's 6th. sense to bring Ron and Harry to think reasonably.

Last edited by mugglebeki; July 5th, 2007 at 10:57 pm. Reason: A few corrections
Old July 6th, 2007, 4:17 am
First Year

This question has always puzzled me a little bit as well, and as insightful as everyone's responses on this topic have been, I still don't find any explanation I've heard to be 100% satisfying.

Clearly, the "unofficial" reason Hermione was placed at Number 12 Grimmauld Place because it was convenient to the plot and to JKR's storytelling. Hermione is highly observant, and there are probably many clues at Number 12 that will be germane to Harry's horcrux search in Deathly Hallows. I wouldn't be surprised if Hermione were the one to remember the "heavy locket that nobody could open" at Number 12.

Also, if Hermione wasn't present at Number 12, she would have been "out of the loop" and Harry and Ron would have had to fill her in about the Order of the Phoenix, etc. I still think it's a little weird, though, because in the past JKR has had no difficulty leaving one of the trio out of significant events in the books. For instance, in Sorcerer's Stone, Ron was excluded from the detention in the forbidden forest, and Hermione was excluded from the winter holidays when Harry and Ron discovered the Mirror of Erised. In Chamber of Secrets, Hermione was petrified for the last third of the book, and in Prizoner of Azkaban, Ron was out-of-commission with a broken leg when Harry and Hermione saved Sirius and Buckbeak with the Time Turner. Each time, JKR merely said that Harry explained what happened to the person who missed the action, or didn't say so but left it to our deduction that the absent person was told. So I think JKR could have excluded Hermione from Number 12 and then said that on the train, Harry and Ron told her everything that happened there.

Hermione's presence at Number 12 also isn't comparable to her presence at the Burrow in the past. Spending 1 or 2 weeks of one's summer holiday at a friend's house isn't the same thing as spending nearly the entire summer with one's friends and hardly seeing your family at all. Also in Goblet of Fire, Hermione was with Harry and Ron over the summer for a very specific purpose -- to watch the Quiddich World Cup. It's hardly the same thing as passing up your only window of time to see your family, to spend that time cleaning up an old mansion.

The other thing that I found particularly puzzling and mysterious was the complete lack of an "official" explanation for Hermione's presence -- "official" meaning an explanation in the story (since JKR can't say in the text that Hermione was there for convenience of storytelling!). All JKR had to do was have Hermione say, "Dumbledore wrote my parents and said he thought it would be safest for me to stay here, in light of Voldemort's return." Or, "I decided to stay with the Weasleys this summer so I could keep in touch with the Wizarding World."

I'm wondering if there might have been an editing snafu whereby the "official" explanation for Hermione's presence at Number 12 was accidentally nixed from the book? I don't get the impression that this is one of those issues about which JKR deliberately tried to create mystery by failing to explain. I'm sure if JKR were asked in an interview what Hermione was doing at Number 12 in Order of the Phoenix, she would give some of the same explanations which have already been set forth in this thread.

Last edited by Minmei; July 6th, 2007 at 4:20 am.
Old July 6th, 2007, 4:51 am
First Year

It is of my opinion that she was there for sevewral reasons. One was for protection because she was muggle-born, but not specifically her protection. If Voldemort went after her because he couldn't find Harry directly and wanted to draw him out, he would likely expose wizardry to numerous muggles and the Ministry wouldn't want to deal with that.
Also, in case it was absolutely necessary to open the order of the phoenix to more people, she is not only an invaluable mental resource but also was directly involved in several of the incidents. If anyone had no point in being there, it would be Ron (Ron had a reason, his parents having to stay at Grimmauld Place, but he had little purpose.)
Plus, she's probably memorized every book in the Hogwarts library, including How to Magically Clean Just About Anything and could help with the mansion. (j/k)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives