Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Seventh Child Folklore and Its Significance for Ginevra Weasley

Old March 8th, 2007, 7:49 am
Second Year

Re: Seventh Child Folklore and Its Significance for Ginevra Weasley

You know the Jannus Thickey ward in OotP-Jannus Thickey= Ginny's the key-I am not sure.

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtraitor13 View Post
You know the Jannus Thickey ward in OotP-Jannus Thickey= Ginny's the key-I am not sure.
Oohhhhh.... Hm.... This reminds me of the Griffin on DD's door... JKR uses names and turns of phrase so often I remember reading (rereading? ) OoTP and wondering about the ward names and portrait names... never came up with this one. I can't believe it could be an accident. The question is, is "the non accident" a clue to make us all salivate, or a clue to see if we will all salivate over nothing! Then again, DD always is talking about love being a key, maybe this is a clue.... see what I mean???? How many days until July???

Old March 10th, 2007, 12:23 am
Third Year

I read a book a while ago about "the seventh son of the seventh son". He had extrordanairy magical powers. This could mean somthing for Ginny, as she is the seventh child. I haven't heard anything about Arthur being the seventh child though.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old March 10th, 2007, 2:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig_3180 View Post
I read a book a while ago about "the seventh son of the seventh son". He had extrordanairy magical powers. This could mean somthing for Ginny, as she is the seventh child. I haven't heard anything about Arthur being the seventh child though.
JKR said on her website that Arthur is one of three children, so there is no seventh child of a seventh child going on unless Molly has a large number of siblings that we do not know about.

Old March 10th, 2007, 9:13 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtraitor13 View Post
Are you saying that Jannus Thickey sounds like Ginny is the key. That would be pretty awesome given that I've heard that people have found the other names on the ward to be foreshadowing of things like Kreature is the betrayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonna View Post
JKR said on her website that Arthur is one of three children, so there is no seventh child of a seventh child going on unless Molly has a large number of siblings that we do not know about.
Molly only had her twin brothers Prewett that were killed by Voldemort as far as I know. I don't think JK is going for 7th of the 7th here. I think just like with a lot of other things in the series, JK is going to uses the mythology surrounding the idea of a 7th child and create her own version of their capabilities.

Cheers

Old March 24th, 2007, 3:52 am
Fifth Year

My vote is for her becoming a vampire.

Romanian VampiresRomanian tradition described a myriad of ways of bringing about a vampire. A person born with a caul, an extra nipple, a tail, or extra hair was doomed to become a vampire. The same fate applied to someone born too early, someone whose mother encountered black cat cross her path, and someone who was born out of wedlock. Others who became vampires were those who died an unnatural death or before baptism, the seventh child in any family (presuming all of his or her previous siblings were of the same sex), the child of a pregnant woman who avoided eating salt, and a person who was looked upon by a vampire or a witch. Moreover, being bitten by a vampire meant certain condemnation to a vampiric existence after death.

link

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot) Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Old April 25th, 2007, 2:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Another interesting thing about Ginny now is that her patronus appears to be a Phoenix. I know it's the movies but something as important as that would not have been missed by JK. I'm curious to see how it all ties in.

Old April 25th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold
Another interesting thing about Ginny now is that her patronus appears to be a Phoenix. I know it's the movies but something as important as that would not have been missed by JK. I'm curious to see how it all ties in.
Wow they showed that in the trailer? If Jo had confirmed it with the director, then it must be important. The phoenix, as we all know, has tears that have healing powers, and the seventh child is supposed to be gifted at healing.

Dance Pretty
Old April 25th, 2007, 2:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotionA View Post
Wow they showed that in the trailer? If Jo had confirmed it with the director, then it must be important. The phoenix, as we all know, has tears that have healing powers, and the seventh child is supposed to be gifted at healing.
No, it wasn't in the trailer but we heard about it in reviews from people who saw the movie.

Yeah, all those powers that the phoenix represent must be relevant. Perhaps it's significant that Harry will be reborn after all the trauma he experienced with Voldemort through Ginny. However, I guess an analysis of all other patronuses will have to come into play to truly understand what significance Ginny's could mean. Ron's patronus represents him: man's best friend, loyal, quick and protective, etc. Hermione's is an otter and could represent where she loves, Harry's represent's his father, Tonks's even changed so I don't really understand Patronuses well enough to truly analyze what significance Ginny's being a phoenix could mean given her 7th child and powerful status.

Cheers

Old April 25th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Zonko's Employee

If Ginny's phoenix Patronus is considered canon, then the symbolisms do match her character just like Ron, Harry and Tonks' do - loyal, healing powers and are associated with fire.

Dance Pretty
Old April 25th, 2007, 4:03 pm
Third Year

Dumbledore's patronus was a phoenix, though - will we see a character with the same patronus? :/ In that case, what does it mean? Is it foreshadowing that Ginny, too, will die, or that she will become Headmistress? Or simply how great her powers are?

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what." - Atticus Finch , who has the same thoughts about courage as Dumbledore.

R.I.P. every brave witch, wizard or other creature who died fighting the most evil wizard who ever lived.
Old April 25th, 2007, 8:33 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotionA View Post
If Ginny's phoenix Patronus is considered canon, then the symbolisms do match her character just like Ron, Harry and Tonks' do - loyal, healing powers and are associated with fire.
True. Also what do phoenixes and the seventh child folklore have in common? The healing powers you just mentioned. Maybe Ginny has powers we don't know about?

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

Interviewer: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
JKR: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old July 5th, 2007, 4:03 pm
Second Year

Regarding the Ginny as Animagus theory.... we've heard about the Marauders working to become animagi, but have we heard anything about natural animagi? And if there is such a thing as a natural animagus, what age would it manifest itsself? Maybe she's a natural animagus who simply hasn't discovered that particular power as yet? And the cat-like anaolgies are just symbolic of what she's going to become in the future?

Old July 5th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly54 View Post
True. Also what do phoenixes and the seventh child folklore have in common? The healing powers you just mentioned. Maybe Ginny has powers we don't know about?
It isn't a phoenix; it is a horse. Bonnie Wright said this in a recent interview.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion? Vygotsky
Old July 5th, 2007, 7:35 pm
Second Year

I expect naming a child 'Six' would be an insult. I suppose it could apply to Ron.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives