Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Scholastic Question #6: Will Voldemort Be Defeated?

View Poll Results: Will Voldemort Be Defeated
Yes and he will die 38 51.35%
Yes and he will live/worse than death 28 37.84%
No way 1 1.35%
There will be a truce. 0 0%
Cos Special - Yes but he will come back as a ghost 4 5.41%
Cos Special - No, he will be redeemed 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 26th, 2007, 10:12 pm
Second Year

Re: Scholastic Question #6: Will Voldemort Be Defeated?

Cos Special - Yes but he will come back as a ghost.

He's afraid of death, and Nearly Headless Nick said that only those afraid of death stayed as ghosts. I think he might try to terrorize people as a ghost, seeing as he will be dead, and won't be able to come back. He has to die, or get something worse, otherwise there won't be resolution to the story, will there?

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 9:34 am
Third Year

Obviously he will definitely be defeated, but I'm always going backwards and forwards a bit with Voldemort's actual fate. On the one hand, his biggest fear is death, so obviously that would be a fitting punishment for him. On the other, Dumbledore was always determined that there are fates worse than death, "'We both know that there are other ways of destroying a man'", "'your failure to understand that there are things much worse than death has always been your greatest weakness'" ...

The ghost option intruiged me; it got me thinking about whether or not Voldemort even has the option to come back as a ghost, as his soul has been ripped apart .. I got the idea that your soul was what became the ghost, though I don't think there's any canon for that whatsoever. Still, I'm willing to bet that somehow it will be impossible for Voldemort to become a ghost, otherwise, being as scared of death as he is, he will choose that path and continue to be a menace until the end of time ...

Overall, I think I'm going to go with 'Yes and he will die' though the fate worse than death option is a very close second.

HPIA

Old June 27th, 2007, 7:34 pm
First Year

i voted for the worse than death option as it has been consitantly hinted at in the books

[/SIGPIC]

Honour to the end.
Here to the end.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:03 am
Fifth Year

There are two ways for 'a fate worse than death'
1. Having his soul sucked out by a Dementor.
2. What if Harry and Dumbledores' souls entered Voldemorts soul...look what happened at the MoM, when Harry's love entered the frame..Vodlemort couldn't get out of Harrys soul quick enough. With Harry and Dumbledore going into Voldemorts soul on purpose, and not comming out.....The Dark Lord would go mad...........forever!

Old June 28th, 2007, 1:39 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

love will conquer all,even him.and yes he will get what he fears most,death.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 28th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Fourth Year

See when I considered the options I thought to defeat Voldemort you have to discredit him. You can not have him left in any position that he would be able to regroup and army, so to speak - that's why I didn't go for the ghost option. I don't believe there can be a truce at this point, too much water under the bridge. I considered as well fate worse than death, and thought that for Voldemort being a muggle would be that fate- again I worried that he could have influence. So that is why in the end I chose that he will die - but I do have a feeling that it will be a fate worse than death - maybe a memory modification of all wizards so his very existence is erased?

Well Done ASA!

In the words of 1980's Wham t-shirt "Choose Life" Harry!!!!! (and Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Molly, Arthur, Neville, Luna, Lupin, Tonks, Hagrid, McGonagall, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill Fleur...well you get the idea!)
*wonders off embarrassed because I now sound like Hagrid at the end of "Chamber of Secrets" movie *
Old June 30th, 2007, 2:51 am
Fourth Year

Yes and he will die.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 4:48 pm
Second Year

Yes, obviously... there is no other possible ending but to have him be defeated.

If for any reason he's not defeated, I will have a hard time ever wanting to re-read the books again. Why go through 7 books worth of storyline if the villian isn't defeated in the end!!

Old July 3rd, 2007, 5:00 pm
First Year

I think there would be a very large outcry indeed should Voldemort somehow survive, unless Jo has written something for him that is worse than death. But this is what the series has been building up to, hasn't it? Harry defeating him once and for all? Ms. Rowling's cooked up something good for us!

As a side note about the coming back as a ghost, wasn't there a posting in the Book 7 facts section of Mugglenet about how we're finally going to find out why some ghosts come back and some don't? Maybe this ties in somehow. Who knows?

Old July 3rd, 2007, 7:18 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudley View Post
As a side note about the coming back as a ghost, wasn't there a posting in the Book 7 facts section of Mugglenet about how we're finally going to find out why some ghosts come back and some don't? Maybe this ties in somehow. Who knows?
Rowling made that statement before she wrote Order: we got the explanation there, so it is widely suspected that she moved it up to a place where it did fit in quite well.

As for "outcries," well, there is outcry that Rowling has magic in her books. Rowling has almost certainly had the ending in mind since the outset: she was not worried about popular opinion! She is telling the stories for her own purposes, and although it should be pretty clear what those are by now, we also should expect one or two more "revelations" about Rowling's world views with Hallows.

How frequently has Scholastic been doing this? There actually is not much time left! Given that COS goes offline in 11 days, I wonder if we even will get to discuss it here.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:11 am
First Year

I think he will be defeated....I just have no idea how.

Harry isn't even *this* close to being a quarter as powerful as Voldemort, so I've come to the conclusion that he will find a different way to defeat him.

I just cannot see him defeating him by predictable terms..... I mean, Voldemort was pretty much as powerful as Dumbledore. And I say "pretty much", because obviously he wasn't AS powerful, but the difference was most likely quite small.

Just what I've come up with. The only wizards I can see even having a chance of defeating Voldemort is Snape or maybe Peter Pettigrew (sorry for the spelling error).

Now, you may say "Peter?!?! What is this guy thinking?!?" but if you think about it, it's not to hard to imagine Peter's whole "sniffling incompetent servant" thing to be an act. Of course, for this to be true, he would have to be very powerful at occlumency.

That is the main reason I think Snape is far more likely, because I just don't see four (Dumbledore, Voldemort, Snape, Peter) experienced occlumens all being great enough at it to all fool eachother. It's almost like a wizard soap opera.

But with Snape...ever since the sixth book I have had a very strong hunch that he is far (and by that I mean, "at about the same level as Voldemort") more powerful than he has ever let on, and if he is good after all, I can pretty easily imagine him ending up taking Voldemort down.

That is, if Harry fails, which I honestly have no clue about.

Just my opinion. Thanks for reading.

Old July 4th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Third Year

i like what you think tangledweb16 its pretty interesting, i think snape would probably defeat Voldemort if Harry fails

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:47 am
Second Year

Voldemort will be defeated. There's no doubt about that. Good always overcomes evil. Now how he is defeated is up in the air. I voted for him dieing. It seems right that since Voldy's greatest fear is death, it should be a good punishment.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives