Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Did the Marauders know everything about the castle?

Old June 13th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Did the Marauders know everything about the castle?

Answering the thread title, no they didn't. First of all, they didn't know about the room of requirement. they probably didn't know about the girls bathroom or any of the other house common rooms. (arguable)

Old June 13th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Second Year

I don't think so, because I don't think it's possible for anyone to know all Hogwart's secrets. However, I think they must have known a lot about it, with all those monthly excursions, and sneaking around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosPatronus
First of all, they didn't know about the room of requirement.
It's possible that they did, but either didn't realize it, or, if they did, it's part of the room's magic that it will be unplottable.
Quote:
they probably didn't know about the girls bathroom
I agree, they didn't know that it lead to the Chamber of Secrets, I don't think any of them knew parceltongue, so it's almost impossible without that.
Quote:
any of the other house common rooms.
That, as you said, is arguable, because, as trouble-makers, I could see them sneaking in along with the others from that house. Sort of like Harry and Ron did in CoS, but everywhere.

Old June 14th, 2007, 5:38 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Clearly the Marauders did not know everything there was to know about the castle, since the Twins never said anything about the Chamber of Secrets when it was clear that it was more than just a legend.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old June 14th, 2007, 5:44 am
Fourth Year

I don't think it's really possible that they knew everything about Hogwarts. Rowling has continued to write that the castle is a mind of its own and would take several decades to figure out all of its secrets, let alone seven (or fewer) years that the Mauraders had. Dumbledore even admitted he didn't truly understand all the school's magical abilities.

Old June 15th, 2007, 2:54 am
Arithmancer

I don't believe they knew all of Hogwarts secrets or everything about Hogwarts. Dumbledore said even he didn't know all the secrets and secret places and so on about Hogwarts. He said that no one could persume to know everything about Hogwarts or something to that effect.
I think they did know a great deal but definitely not everything.

Old June 16th, 2007, 1:11 am
Fifth Year

I think it may be safe to say that they knew as much (or more) than anyone else ever knew about the castle (except for maybe the founders, but I'm not sure one of them even knew everything about the castle). There are too many secrets within the castle for any one person (or four people) to know everything.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old June 18th, 2007, 5:02 pm
First Year

i think they knew a lot about the castle, but as sllagnire said not one person knows ALL about the castle. They most likely would have to be there for a long long long time and they have to be very old and I don't know any of the HP charaters who are like that.

Old July 7th, 2007, 1:06 am
Third Year

The map never showed Draco in the room of requirements, obviosly they didn't know of this room, nor did the twins. I am sure thier are quite a few secrets in the castle that they did not know about.

Old July 7th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Secret Keeper

It is possible that Voldemort hid a horocrux in the castle, but not very probable. the safest place to hide is usually the most dangerous one, but i can't imagine how Voldemort managed to sneak into the castle, I'm sure he wouldn't have used a Death Eater, they would've been caught, maybe he used imperio on a child of a death eater or something.

Also, there is absolutely no way the Marauders knew everything about the castle, like the cos, I'm sure they probably knew more than most of the people who went or ever went to hogwarts (except the founders of course), but they couldn't have known everything, and maybe some places were made unplottable, maybe the cos was made unplottable

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 7th, 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Elephant

I think the enchantment they used was likely designed to map rooms they may not have personally visited, but the Room of Requirement and the Chamber of Secrets have powerful enchantments that would make them unplottable even if they were known to exist and where they were. That would not only explain how rooms the marauders didn't have access to were on the map and how people born after their school years would still be identified by the map.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives