Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Dumbledore's Cold Feet

Old March 25th, 2007, 5:32 am
Third Year

Re: Dumbledore's Cold Feet

That could be his hearts desire as remember after Christmas he said that again he didn't get any socks as people insist on giving him books.
He wouldn't want too much as he is so powerful. But then again he should be able to just go get himself some new socks, shouldn't he.

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2007, 6:32 am
First Year

I'm pretty sure that just as Dobby was freed by Harry with a sock, Dumbledore wants to be liberated (not physically freed like Dobby, but maybe he is tired of always being the smartest or the one everyone looks for answers?)

Old March 25th, 2007, 1:38 pm
Third Year

He said in book 5 he had many possesions that losing a few wouldn't matter, he's not into material things, apart from the socks so perhaps they are a clue.

Old March 25th, 2007, 1:49 pm
First Year

But sometimes the greatest people in the world long for just the simple things in life. Harry's found that out a fair bit himself. Yes, it's true. If Dumbledore wanted socks he could just go out and buy some, but maybe he would like them as a gift. My mum buys me socks each year for xmas and they are pretty much my favourite gift cos of their inevitability...

Old March 25th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Since the Mirror of Erised shows us our deepest desire, and DD said that a man truly and completely happy and content would see only himself, then I suggest that DD seeing himself holding a pair of thick woollen socks is to say that Dumbledore is foreshadowing his waning years. He has lived longer than most, and has found a peace that only comes with living a full and happy life. He has nothing about his life that he wishes he could change, or unfinished business in his personal life.

Albus Dumbledore was about as truly a happy and content man as one could hope.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 25th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Fifth Year

I would have to disagree with you slightly there. I do not think that Dumbledore is a happy and content man...yet. I think that he will be (I guess its actually would have been ... still can't get over that he's dead) happy and content once Harry is safe and Voldemort is vanquished for good. Then I think he would be as happy and content as could be. Especially if he could have continued at Hogwarts. I think he is truly happy there.

But anyway, I think it is possible that he really just wants a pair of socks. Dumbledore is one who finds joys in the simple things. Or we could say that based on my previous paragraph that maybe really his greatest desire is to see Harry safe and did not want to tell Harry and show how much he was invested in Harry's safety...yet.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old March 25th, 2007, 3:21 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

This is a very interesting theory, and Dumbledore's comment could really be taken this way. I always thought it was either JKR showing us Dumbledore's quirky side, or his kind way of telling Harry that the question was a bit too personal, since Harry thinks that himself later on after DD leaves. However, it could have meant Dumbledore's reluctance to tell Harry about the prophecy as he tells him that the first thing Harry asks him is the one thing he's not ready to inform him about. I wonder though, does the Mirror Erised work in metaphors? Or just simply the actual deepest desires of a person? Because if it works metaphorically, Dumbledore's cold feet makes sense. I just wonder what it could possibly mean (metaphor-wise) for Harry since all he saw was his parents.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
I would have to disagree with you slightly there. I do not think that Dumbledore is a happy and content man...yet. I think that he will be (I guess its actually would have been ... still can't get over that he's dead) happy and content once Harry is safe and Voldemort is vanquished for good. Then I think he would be as happy and content as could be. Especially if he could have continued at Hogwarts. I think he is truly happy there.

But anyway, I think it is possible that he really just wants a pair of socks. Dumbledore is one who finds joys in the simple things. Or we could say that based on my previous paragraph that maybe really his greatest desire is to see Harry safe and did not want to tell Harry and show how much he was invested in Harry's safety...yet.
However, in PS/SS when Dumbledore discovers Harry looking at the mirror, Voldemort has not reared his head yet. At this point the possibility of Voldemort's presence is not considered. Although there is fear of his name, and that he COULD be around, Dumbledore at this point is not really sure.

The Mirror of Erised shows us our deepest desires--OF THE MOMENT. As our priorities change, as our values shift from one time to another, so too would our deepest desires. At the time we see Dumbledore and Harry by the mirror, Dumbledore's deepest desire at that time may well have been to have a pair of warm woollen socks.

Had we enjoyed this scene the after Quirrelmort's/Vapormort's encounter with Harry, then I think Dumbledore's deepest desire would have changed significantly.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 26th, 2007, 5:24 am
Third Year

Good catch! "cold feet" heh, heh, heh. Anyway, I think if could have been telling Harry about the Prophecy. He had so much trouble with that. And it relates to CoS when Harry gives Dobby socks for freedom. How could that tie in? Socks = Freedom? I like it.

I must learn to love the fool in me: the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries.

Read Love, Loss, and Devotion And also read Journey to Peace by Secunda

Rising Above the Rivalry (A Feud of the Past Must Come to an End . . . )

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:32 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
However, in PS/SS when Dumbledore discovers Harry looking at the mirror, Voldemort has not reared his head yet. At this point the possibility of Voldemort's presence is not considered. Although there is fear of his name, and that he COULD be around, Dumbledore at this point is not really sure.

The Mirror of Erised shows us our deepest desires--OF THE MOMENT. As our priorities change, as our values shift from one time to another, so too would our deepest desires. At the time we see Dumbledore and Harry by the mirror, Dumbledore's deepest desire at that time may well have been to have a pair of warm woollen socks.

Had we enjoyed this scene the after Quirrelmort's/Vapormort's encounter with Harry, then I think Dumbledore's deepest desire would have changed significantly.
I agree with you in respect to the Mirror showing what is desired at that moment, and that it would have changed as the series progressed. At the point we are talking about though, Dumbledore is concerned enough that DD is around and looking for a way to create a body to have not only taken possession of the Philosopher's Stone (presummably both to protect the Flamell's and the stone itself) but also moved it out of the vault. Why would he do this if the danger is more than a suggestion or rumour?

I disagree with statements made about Dumbledore lying to Harry or making a polite attempt to tell Harry the answer is none of Harry's buisness. That I can think of, Dumbledore has never straight out lied about anything to Harry - only obmitted things until he was sure Harry could handle it.

We have also seen Dumbledore politely but firmly put Harry in his place when the need has arisen. This indicates to me that Dumbledore did see socks in the mirror, probably would prefer socks to books as a present (as he is probably feeling the weight of needing to be constantly thinking ahead and covering all bases) and knows that Harry sees his parents in the mirror and keeps returning to the mirror because he misses them. Dumbledore also knows that loosing his parents is not the last hardship that Harry will face, and also knows that eventually Dumbledore himself will need introduce Harry to a dangerous and difficult path in fighting and defeating an accomplished and powerful wizard. Dumbledore is looking at a boy, and probably also has cold feet about forcing the boy into manhood.

I honestly believe Jo was hinting at more than the obvious in this scene, and there is probably more than one intended meaning.

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:41 am
First Year

according to me he was just kidding with harry

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:54 am
Second Year

I like the idea of linking the socks with Dobby and freedom, although I doubt Dumbledore even knew who Dumbledore was or the part a sock would play in gaining his freedom at the time of the Mirror scene.

The missing sock in the wash idea is also interesting, and far too common an occurance in my house! Dumbledore is looking at a pair though, so not sure if this fits.

Refering back to my original post, I thought maybe Dumbledore's begging about not harming others and taking him instead may be related. My theory is that he could be talking about past events that he still feels responcible for, and that going through that experience could also have made him more resolved to sacrifice himself to keep Harry and the other residents of Hogwarts safe.

Any thoughts?

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:32 pm
First Year

he's a simple guy (beneeth the whole genius thing...) and likes simple things, maybe he was actually serious!

Read my FANFIC! (You and I Collide) And then REVIEW!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 29th, 2007, 6:34 am
Second Year

Do we have any eviddence that Dumbledore has ever lied to Harry - or anyone else for that matter?

Old March 29th, 2007, 10:44 am
Second Year

I think it's Dumbledore's way of avoiding a very personal question, and it is all together possible that if he were to answer honestly, it could relate to Harry directly. It could be something such as seeing James and Lily alive himself, or to see Harry safely living in the muggle world. Or it could be the answer to killing Voldemort.

Most likely though, Dumbledore will just see the Philosopher's stone, as he said those that don't want to use the stone can see and receive it, making the mirror useless to him.

Spoil Deathly Hallows and the cute kitty gets it!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

Last edited by SnappySlytherin; March 29th, 2007 at 10:48 am.
Old March 29th, 2007, 1:28 pm
Fifth Year

Somehow I don't quite see Dumbledore as an outright liar. There have been many instances where he hasn't given us the full story, but he hasn't lied either.
Someone mentioned earlier that Dumbledor is indeed a rather simple man beneath the genius.
I definitely think that there is more to what Dumbledore sees in the mirror of erised; but somehow socks fits into the picture.
Maybe it's Rolwing's way of telling us that inspite of having the world's burdens on you're shoulders people can be still be 'normal'.
That with all the fighting and saving the world, it is only human and natural to have a normal day to day life, desire or wish. Just because you are the best wizard the world has ever known does not mean that you're everyday life and desires have to be extraordinary.
Maybe it's her way of bringing out the fact that at the end of the day all of us essentially want the same thing-love.
Socks represent warmth. They also represnt christmas. Isn't christmas supposed to be the spirit of love?
Even when Dumbledor talks about the socks it is in connection with the festival..
Perhaps in some wierd way the socks in this situation symbolise Dumbledor's belief in the power of love.

I SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I AM UPTO NO GOOD
To Jo-
For the hours of crying and laughing.
The intense discussions the theorizing.
For the friends we've made and the life lessons learnt
Thank you for everything. It means the world and what lies beyond.
Old March 29th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Third Year

I think it was one of Dumbledore's quirks, as he has so many. He was saying he would rather have non-academic things (cause people keep giving him books) that are simple and enjoyable. I think in a way he was admitting that people always want him to be complex, and his life is very complex, and he desires more simplicity. Socks kind of represent the simpler things in life.

Old March 29th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonarcher View Post
Do we have any eviddence that Dumbledore has ever lied to Harry - or anyone else for that matter?
Straight out lied, no. Told less than the whole truth, yes.

Compare his account of the prophecy night in OOTP, and Trelawney's in HBP. Also, I don't believe he gave the real or at least, the whole reason why he trusts Snape to Harry with the "he was sorry your parents died" story. And overall in OOTP, he didn't share his plans with Harry - why he didn't teach him Occlumency, what the snake vision meant etc...

Also notice how he evades Harry's direct question why LV tried to kill him in PS. He did say he can't tell him yet, but still - he wasn't telling him everything he knew.

The socks answer in PS about the Erised mirror, I believe, was also his polite way of not really answering what he saw. It was a personal question after all.

Last edited by snuka; March 29th, 2007 at 3:09 pm.
Old March 29th, 2007, 3:20 pm
Third Year

Obviously he was joking...There was a definite reason why he didn't tell Harry.

Old March 30th, 2007, 6:15 am
Second Year

maybe his feet are just cold so he wants some socks to warm them or he has holes in his socks so he would like some new ones.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives