Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Dementor's Kiss

Old April 20th, 2007, 9:43 pm
Second Year

The Dementor's Kiss

I was wondering mostly what happens to the bodies of those who've been kissed by dementors. We know they don't neccessarily die... so do they still walk around? Is there a ward at St. Mungos for the souless?

Then also, in turn, what happens to the souls of those people. Do they pass on to the afterlife like normal, could they become a ghost if they choose?

Thoughts?

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Last edited by Nicole; May 27th, 2007 at 4:47 pm. Reason: removed 'note to mods'
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2007, 9:50 pm
First Year

Re: The Dementor's Kiss

Not sure. I've always thought that when the soul gets sucked out, and there's a soulless body, then the body will be returned to Azkaban. But I doubt this as there's really no use for them there, the dementors can't feed off of them. So maybe they are to be sent to St. Mungos.

And I don't think that the soul goes on to an afterlife, nor can it be a ghost. I think the kiss is like eating the soul, so once a dementor eats it, it's gone forever and doesn't exist.

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhpfan View Post
And I don't think that the soul goes on to an afterlife, nor can it be a ghost. I think the kiss is like eating the soul, so once a dementor eats it, it's gone forever and doesn't exist.
What if the dementor sort of keeps it inside? Like it's stored or trapped there.

Has anyone read the book Peter and the Shadow Theives? In it these creatures steal people's shadows, which is sort of like their soul because when they touch a shadow they can find out everything about that person. What they're thinking feeling, everything. If they touch your shadow long enough they keep it and you are like a zombie. Kind of like a body after a dementor kiss.

So do you think the dementors store the souls? And if so if a way were found to completely destroy a dementor, not just chase it away with a patronus, could the souls be set free to find their bodies again?

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:16 pm
First Year

The only reason why I don't think Dementors store the souls is because they always seem to need souls to feed off of. If they stored the souls inside of them then I think it would make them stronger and they wouldn't need anymore souls to feed from. I think they eat a soul, like we eat food, it makes them happy for a while (maybe the wrong choice of word) and then they need souls again later.

I think that feeding off of human energy, and sucking the soul out of the body are the same things. It's just that feeding off of human energy is like eating an appetizer, and eating a whole soul is a main course.

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:22 pm
Sixth Year

I think it reads as though the dementors consume the soul, so that it is gone completely.

And drill sergeants do not hug.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:33 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhpfan View Post
I think that feeding off of human energy, and sucking the soul out of the body are the same things. It's just that feeding off of human energy is like eating an appetizer, and eating a whole soul is a main course.
A valid point... dangit. I thought I was on to something.

Okay, well back to the point I was most curious about, the bodies. What do you think happens to them? Oooo, is how inferi's are made and that's why Voldemort wants the dementors on his side?

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:44 pm
First Year

Regardless if the wizard has it's soul kissed, he/she will most likely die due to starvation.

Or so I always thought.

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:49 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleGreenfield View Post
Oooo, is how inferi's are made and that's why Voldemort wants the dementors on his side?
That's an interesting idea. Could Crouch Jr. be and inferius? I don't know, but for some reason I got the impression that the inferi are dead bodies reanimated. For some reason I don't think they are created using the dementor's kiss. That's just the impression I got--am not near the books to look up the exact quote to pinpoint why.

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleGreenfield View Post
A valid point... dangit. I thought I was on to something.

Okay, well back to the point I was most curious about, the bodies. What do you think happens to them? Oooo, is how inferi's are made and that's why Voldemort wants the dementors on his side?
i think inferi and made by just killin from anyone and casting the spell to make them do a wizard's bidding

Old April 20th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

That'd be scary if someone had no soul and they were walking around! Wouldn't they be lifeless? When the soul is sucked out and the body is left behind, are they kind of like Inferi, except that they're still alive and breathing?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:17 pm
Second Year

The bodies must go somewhere.

I don't know if the way to make inferi is ever explained but the reanimated dead is probably right, just a wild guess I had.

Could the bodies still be put under the imperius curse? They'd be really easy to do it to.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:50 am
Zonko's Employee

I have a lot of questions about dementors and the dementor's kiss, too; I'm hoping they're all cleared up by the end of Deathly Hallows. (If not, I'm sure Jo will be happy to continue to clear things up when it's all over.)
I read Peter and the Shadow-Thieves (loved it) but the dementors don't work that way, as has been stated; they actually feed on the souls, not just steal them. I really think you have to have a soul to be Imperiused, though I definitely see a possibility of them becoming Inferi.
It does make sense that the soulless body would die without food or water.

Old April 21st, 2007, 1:19 am
Fourth Year

Well Dementors suck the Happiness out of it's Victim. So this tells me the person winds up with Depression--except they don't have any Medication to take away those feelings. I get the feeling the person is left a shell of him or herself.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old April 21st, 2007, 1:33 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I've always thought of it this way: the soul is the person, and the body is only the shell, or vessel. When the dementor sucks out the soul, it "digests" it. Why would a dementor keep someone's soul when it's a creature of sadness and depression? So the soul is slowly and eventually destroyed. But the body still breathes, just doesn't and won't respond. The bodies might be killed and/or disposed of, since they have no further use.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 21st, 2007, 9:45 am
Fifth Year

I think the Dementors could be referred to as 'soul eaters'! Also, from reading the books, I'd say once you have been 'kissed', you have no memory, no thoughts no interrest in life itself. You'd be better off dead!

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm
First Year

well you could be killed even if you don't have your soul, stop the heart and put the person out of their misery i expect.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old April 21st, 2007, 6:05 pm
Sixth Year

Here is a quote you might find of use:
PoA, Ch. 12"They call it the Dementor's Kiss," said Lupin, with a slightly twisted smile. "It's what dementors do to those they wish to destroy utterly. I suppose there must be some kind of mouth under there, because they clamp their jaws upon the mouth of the victim and ~ and suck out his soul," <snip> "You can exist without your soul, you know, as long as your brain and heart are still working. But you'll have no sense of self anymore, no memory, no...anything. There's no chance at all of recovery. You'll just ~ exist. As an empty shell. And your soul is gone forever...lost."

Old April 21st, 2007, 6:34 pm
First Year

I always thought, after the explanation by Lupin(what maebelle posted), that the bodies can't move, they're just slumped over and can't do anything. I don't think that the bodies are put into St. Mungo's because there is no hope for recovery, there is no point in putting them there. I don't think they bury them though, that just seems wrong, because that would be like burying somebody alive. I also thought that since the bodies can't do anything, they can't die, they just stay in this state forever. However horrible this seems, I think that they just pile the bodies up somewhere(as sort of like a human dump), and leave them there, because there is no use for them.

And yes, the demetors eat the souls. They don't seem to die without the souls, I can't imagine a dementor in pain because he hasn't been near humans and therefore couldn't eat souls, but they need the souls for something.

Quote:
"Vot," he said, draining his goblet and getting to his feet again, "is the point of being an international Quidditch player if all the good-looking girls are taken?"
(DH, ch 8, pg 150)
Old April 21st, 2007, 6:50 pm
First Year

I always thought their bodies would remain in azkaban, since everyones there goes insane anyway..

Harry: You can't give a Dementor the old one-two!

Harry: So light a fire!
Hermione: Yes...of course...but there's no wood!
Ron: HAVE YOU GONE MAD! ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!
Old April 22nd, 2007, 3:31 am
First Year

I always just thought the Dementor's Kiss would cause the kissed to become a dementor, like them. Kind of like the Ringwraiths from Lord of the Rings. I guess I could be way off base with that, but that's just what I thought.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives