Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old March 21st, 2010, 6:30 pm
Fifth Year

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan74 View Post
Dumbledore isn't neccessarily given more scenes by being pointed out as the target, but Draco's mission is.
That doesn't make sense to me. I would say it's on the contrary. If we don't know the target more time might be spent on speculation about his mission.

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2010, 8:28 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan74 View Post
And yoshi, as for Harry being stupid in this film, it depends what kind of logic you want to apply.
I'd like to apply the same logic that Harry has shown in previous films. When someone he cares about is in danger he does something about it. He rushed after Sirius in POA, he tried to help Cedric at the end of GOF, went looking for Sirius again in OOTP. In HBP he finds out within the first hour that Draco is trying to harm Dumbledore, but does absolutely nothing about it. I normally don't care about altered characterisations, but Harry in this movie is too different from the previous films, never mind the books.

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:17 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
I'd like to apply the same logic that Harry has shown in previous films. When someone he cares about is in danger he does something about it. He rushed after Sirius in POA, he tried to help Cedric at the end of GOF, went looking for Sirius again in OOTP. In HBP he finds out within the first hour that Draco is trying to harm Dumbledore, but does absolutely nothing about it. I normally don't care about altered characterisations, but Harry in this movie is too different from the previous films, never mind the books.
Have you considered that maybe it's just character development? After all Harry went through in GOF and OOTP, if he stayed the exact same character, it wouldn't work out. After being fooled by Voldemort in OOTP about Sirius being captured, Harry obviously became a lot more cautious.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:32 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Although I doubt Harry's logic and character have changed in one single year, I would be more inclined to call it a simple case of maturing. Sure, in this instance, he would have been better off to act irrationally and be a little more reckless in his pursuit to catch Malfoy at work, however, I think that is where the immense trust and respect Harry had for Dumbledore set in. Perhaps Harry never quite considered that Dumbledore could be in any real danger? I mean...he is Dumbledore.

And actually, Harry did do something about it in HBP. It seems, throughout the series, that Harry has always had various suspicions of Draco, but he never really directly confronted Draco on any of them. The farthest Harry went, in cases involving Malfoy, was to snoop. But in HBP, after confirming in his own mind that Malfoy was responsible for the hex on Katie Bell, Harry actually ran Malfoy down which resulted in the Sectumsempra scene.

What an experience this has been for
us all.
Old March 29th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Second Year

I've made some questions for scene 12 of HBP. I hope some of them are interesting.

1.The scene largely consist of three parts, Ron & Harry's bedroom talk, Slughorn's select student gathering and Harry's private talk with Slughorn. How relevant do you think the different parts of the scene are to the film as a whole? If any of them seems irrelevant, what would you rather exchange it with and why?

RON & HARRY'S BED-ROOM TALK
2.What do you like and what do you dislike/want to improve when it comes to Harry and Ron's bedroom talk?

3.Does the scene give a fitting portrayal of Ron's character/personality? Why/why not?

4.At the end of their talk Harry puts the book away and turns away from Ron, looking into the camera. Did this look strike you on your first viewings? What do you think his look says about Harry's state of mind?

THE «SELECT STUDENT PARTY»
5. In this scene we have several people who don't speak at all, like the girl twins and Blaise (Zabini). What do you make of Blaise's character from the few glimpses we get of him? Would it matter to you if he was excluded from the scene? Why/why not?

6.What do you think of the portrayal of Slughorn at the table in general and towards Hermione specifically? How believable do you find him as a social climber considering this scene?

7.In this scene we learn that Ginny and Dean have been fighting (again). Did you reflect on the transition from the scene at the Three Bromsticks to this one?

8. What did you think of the portrayal of the atmosphere at the «dinner» in general? Any other comments about this part of the scene?

HARRY and SLUGHORN
9. The «quality of the conversation»-hourglass. Did you like the inclusion of this object? Why/why not?

10. In this part of the scene Tom Riddle's name is mentioned again. How effective/fitting did you find Dan Radcliffe's and Jim Broadbent's portrayal of their characters during this part of the scene?

11.Slughorn comments on similarities between Tom Riddle and Harry, a point which is elaborated more on in the books in the conversations between Dumbledore & Harry. Were you disappointed that this point wasn't elaborated more on during the film?

12.In this and later scenes Harry gets to try his abilities as manipulator/getting what he wants than we've seen him previously in the series. There's also quite a bit of manipulation going on with other characters as well. What did you think of the amount of time devoted to this character trait in this film? How well do you think Harry performs at getting what he wants in this scene? How different is he from Dumbledore and Tom Riddle in this respect (manipulator/getting what he wants) based on what you see in this scene?

Feel free to comment on whatever else that strikes you about the entire scene.

Last edited by jan74; March 29th, 2010 at 1:35 pm.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:11 am
Fifth Year

Previous Chapter Posts:
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Apologies for the late post, uni has been really busy recently. Not much to talk about until we get to Harry and Slughorn alone, the scene in the dormitory was entertaining enough, Radcliffe and Grint have always had decent chemistry in scenes like this, and the Marauder's Map cameo was a nice touch. The Slug Club scene I thought was a waste of time, it should have been combined with the Christmas Party, as it is both scenes cover a lot of the same ground. The stuff about Ginny and Dean fighting didn't work for me, we'd only just been introduced to that couple (and even then we saw them from afar), they should have shown the couple at the Joke Shop/the Burrow, because that whole thing comes out of nowhere. The conversation with Slughorn and Harry is much better, they play off each other well and the hourglass was a fun idea, though once again Harry comes off as very, very stupid when he seems to have forgotten Slughorn's shelf despite staring at it for some time during the movie's opening. I suppose the chapter pushes a few things forwards, though I do feel that Yates has let Dumbledore drift out of the picture, he won't appear again for another 20 minutes, and it's been that long since we last saw him. He didn't do a good job of keeping the tension up after the necklace incident, you certainly don't feel the threat of an assassination hanging over these scenes, once again thinking back to POA, where Cuaron kept the threat of Black and the Dementors prominent even in the light-hearted moments, Yates loses track of Dumbledore and the movie loses a lot of atmosphere.

Any other business:
  • The names on the Marauder's Map have change in appearance, before they were on little banner things, now they are just plain letters.

Last edited by yoshi2542; March 30th, 2010 at 10:46 am.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:41 am
Second Year

I agree that the dinner party could have been ditched in favour of a better Christmas Party with more Luna. Jim Broadbent was just annoying me so much by this time because I couldn't help comparing the book Slughorn with the film Slughorn. Slughorn was bombastic and over the top in the book until Harry tries to get the memory then he became more like the film slughorn.

I did love Snape's scene with McClaggen, just brilliant.

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:11 am
Fifth Year

The dormitory scene is necessary as it emphasizes on Harry's crush on Ginny, but it feels like the scene never ends. I would perhaps rather include the scene where Ginny and Dean are kissing, Ron interferes and Harry tries to calm down the situation. Anyway, "you know, she's got nice skin" is hilarious and Ron's reaction is even better. But he looks like a nitwit when he suddenly proclaims that Hermione too has nice skin And there's no continuity; at Hogsmeade Ron said that Harry was too busy reading the book to have a nice chat on the evenings, but didn't they just have one? The film waste valuable screen time on Harry saying he will be going to bed. It makes me wonder if someone else than Mark Day edited this

Last edited by Noldus; March 30th, 2010 at 2:48 pm.
Old April 1st, 2010, 9:32 pm
Second Year

I will admit that sometimes I've wondered if the chat between Harry & Ron isn't a bit long, but in the end I love it all the same. Ron's expressions and comments are just hilarious and so much in-character!

I think this scene, like many other similar scenes contributes a lot to the atmosphere of the film, it's just a different atmosphere from a film which is mostly driven by excitement. The film is meant to be include a lot of comedy, where the comedy and the characters are important, not plot tension.

I agree, that Ginny and Dean's break-up is introduced very abrubtly, how can they have been fighting when they have just been seen snogging? What I like a lot, though, are the small glances between Hermione and Harry and the smug look that Hermione does. I also greatly enjoy the entire situation with Slughorn attempting at "playing liberal-minded" when asking about Hermiones' parents and the reaction of the other students.

I thought Harry's talk with Slughorn actually was quite well-done - the interaction and how Harry plays up to him is very believable.

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:46 pm
Fifth Year

Slug Club scene: Thoroughly enjoyable, but I admit that it doesn't move the plot forward. The score suits the situation well, but the track is nowhere to find on the soundtrack.
I love the scene with Harry and Slughorn after the meeting and thought the hourglass was a nice addition. I want it to be a horcrux, but that won't happen. I especially like Slughorn saying that if the monster in Riddle really existed at that time it had to be buried deep within. Good that Slughorn comments on similarities between Riddle and Harry. I disagree that Harry looks stupid for not remembering the shelf. He just forgot about it for a moment or just responded without thinking much. Besides, it's not uncommon in real life to answer a question with a question.

Last edited by Noldus; April 1st, 2010 at 11:50 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Slug Club scene: I love the scene with Harry and Slughorn after the meeting and thought the hourglass was a nice addition. I want it to be a horcrux, but that won't happen..
I also liked the hourglass. I think one of the things this film exploits to a great effect is the recurrent use of some visual motifs. With the Slughorn - Tom Riddle relation you've always got the hourglass, with Malfoy's mission you have the bird (and the broken opera record, which is a recurrent auditive motif). Moreover I think the lighting is very important to Harry's talks with Slughorn, it makes the situations more intimate.

I forgot to comment on Dumbledore's absence, which is IMO the most interesting choice to discuss about the handling of the overall plot. Dumbledore is after all a key character in the film and gets quite a lot of screentime at the start. Does his absence in the middle section give his death less impact for instance? It could have been effective to use him in connection with a montage of Tom Riddle's life at Hogwarts for instance, like mrfutterman suggested, since this would work well as a follow-up to the end of this scene.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:44 am
Fifth Year

Fun little object, the hourglass. Notice the pineapple on the left side!
Spoiler: show

I almost forgot to mention that I love the symbolic transition from the hourglass to Ron standing in the Great Hall. Now it's time for Ron to show off his quidditch skills!

Last edited by Noldus; April 3rd, 2010 at 10:09 pm.
Old April 7th, 2010, 4:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Slug Club scene: Thoroughly enjoyable, but I admit that it doesn't move the plot forward. The score suits the situation well, but the track is nowhere to find on the soundtrack.
I love the scene with Harry and Slughorn after the meeting and thought the hourglass was a nice addition. I want it to be a horcrux, but that won't happen. I especially like Slughorn saying that if the monster in Riddle really existed at that time it had to be buried deep within. Good that Slughorn comments on similarities between Riddle and Harry. I disagree that Harry looks stupid for not remembering the shelf. He just forgot about it for a moment or just responded without thinking much. Besides, it's not uncommon in real life to answer a question with a question.
Plus, Harry had about 4 months to forget the shelf. He has schoolwork, Dumbledore, Draco, and the Slug Club.

Old April 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

See that line of text near the top of the page, that's a bit bigger and bolder than the rest? Yeah...that's the topic. Let's stay on it and discuss other things elsewhere.

If you want to discuss something related to the topic in here, that's great! Otherwise, keep logistics out. Posts have been deleted.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old April 15th, 2010, 7:52 am
Zonko's Employee

To get back on topic, I was reflecting on HBP as a film and I discovered another reason I'm happy we don't see adult Voldemort.

Evil in this movie is depicted in a very realistic manner. There's no big bad evil villain here. What we have is much more frighting and unsettling.

Here we see otherwise human and good people making the wrong choices that lead to some evil.

Narcissa as the mafia wife supports and promotes the murder of an old man to save her son.

A young boy who is seemingly bad struggling with his conscience.

Harry Potter who is seemingly the hero nearly brutally murdering Draco.

Snape who we thought was good seemingly murdering his friend.

Slughorn slipping and enlightening Tom Riddle about Horcruxes.

The only time we see Voldemort in this movie is in the past when he was just a normal and human boy. This is embedded in one of the themes of the film that evil isn't this foreign and outlandish monster who comes and attacks, evil comes from within all of us and can be anything no matter how small from turning your head to something unjust just to keep your family safe to being blinded by pride and vanity and leading a future tyrant to immortality to becoming a monster just to defend yourself.

It's really powerful, complex and thought-provoking stuff going on here. When the only image we have of the big villain in this movie is as a little boy and then a normal looking young charismatic teenager, it makes this message clearer and enriches the film.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old April 15th, 2010, 8:12 pm
Fifth Year

Previous Chapter Posts:
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 13

Apologies once again for the delayed chapter. Exam season is coming and I'm in full on revision mode. I will try to post more frequently (every 15 days is perhaps too big a stretch given the thread title). Fortunately this is another short chapter. I think a lot of us had mixed feelings about Quidditch before the movie came out. I was extremely negative given the way Yates was talking about it, but I think he got it just right in the final film. The action is kept punchy but brief in stark contrast to the first two films (going back to the Quidditch from those films must be torture), and the musical callback to POA was a good way to stop me complaining about the score for once. Also I think this is one of the best chapters comedy-wise in the movie, at least the Great Hall part was, Evanna Lynch was brilliantly deadpan and Lavender was funny as well. Even Radcliffe convinces when he says 'I don't know what you're talking about'. Having said all that, we do still seem to be shuffling around Hogwarts with little purpose, this short little moment for Ron is fine, but it is yet another scene where Dumbledore has gone AWOL, as has Draco. It would have been nice for Yates to reinforce the 'Hogwart in lockdown' idea throughout this, perhaps with some of the stands empty or something, but he just about gets away with that, though Harry's continuing lack of action regarding a known plot to kill Dumbledore is still way off.

Any other business:
  • Track 11 'Ron's Victory' plays here, with a nice motif from POA worked in.
  • Very Cuaron-esque bit of background work with the two kids chucking the ball in time to the drum beat. It was nice to see Yates doing that kind of thing after the very dry OOTP.

Old April 15th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Registered Animagus

I really loved this scene, mainly because of how Quidditch in the movies has evolved so much. It's a brutal knock-down type of game, and I love when I see the players getting slammed so physically.

But first, I'll start with the scene prior to the Quidditch - The Great Hall scene. This scene was so in tune with the book, it was great. Luna's lion hat was just pure-awesome and just even better since Evanna Lynch made it herself. Rupert's acting was great, as was Daniel's and Emma's. Like I said, it was just so in tune with the book.

Now for the Quidditch:

While I loved Emma Watson's performance here, the camera going to her and showing her applause gets a little repetitive after a while, but her facial expressions more than make up for it.

Ron's celebrations each time he blocks a goal are great, and perfect since he thinks he's high (excuse the term ) on luck.

I wish they focused a little bit more on Harry here, but then again, we've seen that before and Ron was the star of the scene.

Looking forward to the next chapter. As a fan of Emma Watson's performance in this movie, its just great. But we'll leave it at that for a little while

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:33 pm
Second Year

I'm not sure, but didn't this scene also include the celebration afterwards with Lavender kissing Ron?

Although the comedy continues throughout most of the rest of the film I think this scene marks a change in the film. From now on there are elements of stronger emotions or urgency in almost every scene, while in many of the previous scenes we have had pure situational comedy or scenes setting up specific relations. I say elements, because many scenes are made up of several parts, sometimes quite dissimilar in tone.

Luna is hilarious as always - the lionhead was a nice detail - but I liked in particular how Radcliffe nailed Harry's smugness when interacting with Hermione and Ron. If the celebration afterwards is included in this scene, I think Emma's reaction to Lavender and Ron kissing would be the single best moment of acting in the scene. A small moment, but so quietly powerful.

My reaction to the Quidditch part varies somewhat from time to time; mostly it's very good and the shots are brief and effective - I love seeing the determination on Ron's face when blocking the quaffle. Still it's incredibly difficult to seem natural when you have to act that you're cheering (I'm refering to Ron), but perhaps he's not supposed to be? It's a minor detail, though.

Old April 16th, 2010, 2:40 pm
Fifth Year

A really good chapter and the perfect time for some action. The match ended a bit too suddenly, but who cares? This is the first time they are playing quidditch in a snowy landscape and it looks great.

Quote:
Having said all that, we do still seem to be shuffling around Hogwarts with little purpose, this short little moment for Ron is fine, but it is yet another scene where Dumbledore has gone AWOL, as has Draco. It would have been nice for Yates to reinforce the 'Hogwart in lockdown' idea throughout this, perhaps with some of the stands empty or something, but he just about gets away with that, though Harry's continuing lack of action regarding a known plot to kill Dumbledore is still way off.
Later we are told that Dumbledore is travelling, so it makes sense that he's absent. Still, it seems a bit random when Snape suddenly mentions it to Harry since it's never been established that Dumbledore is nowhere to see. It would have helped with shot of the professors and an empty seat for the headmaster and having Harry mentioning it to Hermione later on.

I don't see why Harry should worry about Dumbledore 24/7, though. Dumbledore isn't even at school and therefore Harry doesn't need to do something reckless. A year passes by in the film and it would only seem unrealistic if Harry was whining about Malfoy attempting to kill Dumbledore every day.

Last edited by Noldus; April 16th, 2010 at 11:11 pm.
Old April 16th, 2010, 5:18 pm
Second Year

Whoops, I've fallen a bit behind. Regarding the last chapter I really enjoyed Slughorn's dinner party, especially Hermione's story about her father and just the mention of her parents ("they're dentists!") I kinda wish Neville had been given some lines. The hourglass was a nice add as well.

I'm so glad they left in Luna's lionhat The fact that it blinks whenever she does was a nice and funny subtle touch.

The Quidditch scene was nice, brief and fast-paced. I thought it worked well and it's interesting to see it played in a snowy environment. Overall I liked the chapter.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies