Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Scholastic Question #6: Will Voldemort Be Defeated?

View Poll Results: Will Voldemort Be Defeated
Yes and he will die 38 51.35%
Yes and he will live/worse than death 28 37.84%
No way 1 1.35%
There will be a truce. 0 0%
Cos Special - Yes but he will come back as a ghost 4 5.41%
Cos Special - No, he will be redeemed 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 26th, 2007, 3:05 pm
Third Year

Re: Scholastic Question #6: Will Voldemort Be Defeated?

yep...same here...going for the "fate worse than death" option, but its not there so i didnt vote....

Harry, Ron and Hermione...our favourite trio all the way...after 10 years the end is near and we will finally know how Ron and Hermione end up together and how the saga ends....21st of July

An all new story, about the search for a demented serial killer who is killing off everyone Harry loves. to read And please leave feedback.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2007, 3:10 pm
First Year

i think harry will kill voldemort. then voldemort will turn into a ghost and live @ hogwarts. this is bcoz jkr said we would find out sumthing new about ghosts and voldemort likes hogwarts too much. plus he is scared of death, so it would make sense that he would live on earth. also they are still forfilling the prophecy about one having to kill the other.

i hope this isnt a spoiler it kinda cocerned me after i posted it when i wrote that jkr said we find sumthing new about ghosts. (just incase no heard about this).
i know most ppl wont want voldemort to return in anyway, shape or form. but i think he might turn into a ghost or finally except death. it has just made me think bcoz i keep reading about how voldemort was attached to hogwarts and the fact that he is scared of death. then i heard that jkr said we would find sumthing new about ghosts and it just seemed to make sense to me. i cant remember properly (sorry) but i think it was mentioned in the 5th or 6th book that a witch or wizard can choose to stay on earth as an inprint of themselves. so if voldemort was scared of death, to me, it just makes sense.

Last edited by Flobbergusterbo; June 26th, 2007 at 9:06 pm. Reason: hope this isnt a spoiler.
Old June 26th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff View Post
g: Oblivion, the complete opposite of immortality, IE no hope of any afterlife
h: Having one's soul sucked out by a Dementor, not sure exactly what that's all about
i: Complete amnesia...lol
j: Losing ones magical powers
We figured that g and h might be the same, I think. I left "dementored" off of our list: that was there. (There was some debate about it, as many people objected that it would defy the Prophecy, but others said, well, maybe some people do not think that the Prophecy will come true in the end.)

Yeah, the Amnesia is good, too, It has to kick in right before the dramatic pronouncement that Voldemort is Harry's......

We debated adding j); however, the consensus was that if people could be stripped of magical powers, then Rowling would have introduced it by now. As she has not, we figured that it was not really an option.
Quote:
uh...my well of creativity has run dry for the moment. I tried but can't think of anything worse than the Spice Girls option, though.
Actually, I think that Voldemort is supposed to be their roadie, too. Now that could be what Dumbldore meant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
Gotta wonder who wrote the options. Have they read the books?
Almost certainly not: after all, when we got "where are the Horcruxes?" we got just a list of place names in the books rather than the types of places that Dumbledore tells Harry where they might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
Voldemort is so tricky, with his horcruxes and his knowledge of the Dark Arts, that he has to be totally dead. Any other choice would leave too much of a possibility that he could return some day.
heh, maybe the publisher's rewrote the ending the. Maybe Voldemort is on an out-of-control hippogriff and we last see him gaining control of it?

That is going to be my vote!

I suspect that Jessica is going to add options and that "The Fate worse than the Fate worse than Death" will be there.

Edit: I know that we tend to slog on the people asking these questions, and a few people have asked whether they ever have read the books. However, I strongly suspect that people at Scholastic who are doing this are just "typical" book readers: i.e., the sort who has no idea that there is a Regulus Black who might be RAB, no real memory of Dumbledore's gleam, who cannot tell you the name of the character that died in Goblet, etc. I.e., Joe and Jane Reader, who reads the books once when it comes out, and maybe again before the second book comes out. They probably are the same as people who make friendly wagers on the World Cup or Super Bowl without any real knowledge of the teams involved, only that the game is being played and the names of the teams: they will say or ask things that make the real football fans (of either sort) cringe!

We should not forget that we tend to dissect Rowling's writings in much more detail than does the average reader. (Indeed, I think that many people would use cognates of "obsess" when describing us..... )

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; June 26th, 2007 at 8:59 pm.
Old June 26th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Mouse

Edited the poll with some help from Wimsey

Old June 26th, 2007, 4:31 pm
Student

I voted for the "worse than death" option. The prophecy only said vanquish, not kill.

Old June 26th, 2007, 4:33 pm
Sixth Year

I think that "Voldemort" may die, but that Tom Riddle will live.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old June 26th, 2007, 4:46 pm
Curse Breaker

Hmmm, well, although the Prophecy says that either must die at the hands of the other, I still am betting that Rowling has some major irony up her sleeve. I'm still suspecting that Harry will either die (or sacrifice himself but somehow be saved), and that will seal the fate worse than death for Voldemort. So, Harry dies but Lives (there is an Afterlife in Potterverse!), whereas Voldemort suffers some sort of eternal damnation that is, ironically, what he wanted in the first place.

(It's probably a good thing that I just write technical papers and not children's literature!)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old June 26th, 2007, 4:47 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aislin View Post
I am also leaning towards the "worse than death" option and since that is not an option, I didn't vote.
Ditto.

I picked "die" because it's his greatest fear. Defeat is a foregone conclusion- I have no doubt of that.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old June 26th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Fourth Year

WellI have to say I voted Voldemort would be defeated and die - though I was hedging on the fate worse than death, some sort of life as Neville's house elf would seem appropriate. I am certain however that Voldemort's fate worse than death is to be a Muggle. However I can't think that he can be kept "alive" in anyway in which he could be an influence on anyone else to fulfill his evil ways.

Well Done ASA!

In the words of 1980's Wham t-shirt "Choose Life" Harry!!!!! (and Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Molly, Arthur, Neville, Luna, Lupin, Tonks, Hagrid, McGonagall, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill Fleur...well you get the idea!)
*wonders off embarrassed because I now sound like Hagrid at the end of "Chamber of Secrets" movie *
Old June 26th, 2007, 5:34 pm
Zonko's Employee

As death is what he fears most I guess he'll die...also I doubt that he'll be able to live without wanting to be all powerful.

I decided on die, but there is also the obvious chance that he will be defeated by live a life worse than death or whatever the wording was!

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old June 26th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

What the heck, ghostyVold gets my vote

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 26th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Inconceivable!

I think that Voldemort is already living the "fate worse than death". His existence as Vapormort was bad. He said he was willing to take back his old body when he regenerated. He may have been hoping to get a better model.

Now he is probably complacent, thinking that he has a bunch of horcruxes that are keeping him immortal. He doesn't really have to worry about being killed. So he will be in for a big surprise, we hope, at the end of this book. A wizard without horcruxes would never let himself be vulnerable enough to be attacked.

That is why I think Voldemort is already living the fate worse than death. His life is a sham.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old June 26th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Fifth Year

Yuck I really don't like this question. I went for will die as none of the others seemed to fit.

I actually think it will be the fate worse than death whatever that may be.

Old June 26th, 2007, 7:16 pm
First Year

I thought for a long time he was just going to die by Harry's hands (and my brother bet me Harry was gonna die as well, so ofcourse I had to say Harry lived on), but this sort of makes me think again. The ghost thing is quite interesting... but I kind of like the Fate worse than Death thing actually, it reminds me a lot of Greek and Roman epos! And we know Jo likes to use words from those types of countries... so I really, don't know right now. 24 days.. maybe I'll vote later.

(especially The Mental Mentorship and A Tumultuous Tenureship!)
George and Verity Shipper!
Old June 26th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Seventh Year

Personally, i think that he will suffer a fate worse then death, as foreshadowed by Dumbledore. However, i don't think it will be him locked in the Room of Love, or anything like that.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old June 26th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
What about
j: Losing ones magical powers
I like that one. That would certainly be the hardest on LV. Imagine him, with his wizard´s pureblood idiotology, having to live like a muggle.

I didn´t vote on Scholastic. But here I voted for 'worse than death'. I know, I know, Dumbledore says something about Harry having to 'kill' LV, and the prophecy indicates that one of the two has to die (and I will surely hope that isn´t Harry), but nevertheless, this comment of Dumbledore´s about things worse than death.... I just think that would be a very satisfying end.

Harry would not have to kill, and LV will live a miserable life.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old June 26th, 2007, 9:31 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Maybe 'what is the final missing horcrux?' or 'Who is RAB?'
Yeah, i like the RAB one. i guess that will porbably be the most likely one.

Any other ideas?

What is the big twist, the big revalation jo talked about????? Does it have to do with the gleam of triumph,harrys green eyes,james's invisibility cloak,Aunt Petunia,Snapes loyalty,Dumbledores reason for trusting Snape,Voldemort giving Lily a choice,whatever is in that locked room, the veil,the remaining horcruxes,the two-way mirror,the other person at godrics hollow that night,wormtails life debt,that awful boy,Dumbledore's screams whilst drinking the potion,James's and Lily's jobs,dumbledores family,spouse's of hogwarts staff,Hagrid in knockturn alley,dumbledores boggort and his vision in the mirror,the lost day,someone doing magic very late in life,RAB,why voldemort wanted a job at hogwarts, (which i think this might be linked to the title of book 7)the smoky machine dumbledore used in order of the phoenix or none or all of the above????
Old June 26th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
I like that one. That would certainly be the hardest on LV. Imagine him, with his wizard´s pureblood idiotology, having to live like a muggle.

I didn´t vote on Scholastic. But here I voted for 'worse than death'. I know, I know, Dumbledore says something about Harry having to 'kill' LV, and the prophecy indicates that one of the two has to die (and I will surely hope that isn´t Harry), but nevertheless, this comment of Dumbledore´s about things worse than death.... I just think that would be a very satisfying end.

Harry would not have to kill, and LV will live a miserable life.
Very good point. If he loathes Muggles so much, and is repulsed by his own heritage, then living as a Muggle would be worse than death, surely.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:10 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Almost certainly not: after all, when we got "where are the Horcruxes?" we got just a list of place names in the books rather than the types of places that Dumbledore tells Harry where they might be.

heh, maybe the publisher's rewrote the ending the. Maybe Voldemort is on an out-of-control hippogriff and we last see him gaining control of it?

Edit: I know that we tend to slog on the people asking these questions, and a few people have asked whether they ever have read the books. However, I strongly suspect that people at Scholastic who are doing this are just "typical" book readers: i.e., the sort who has no idea that there is a Regulus Black who might be RAB, no real memory of Dumbledore's gleam, who cannot tell you the name of the character that died in Goblet, etc. I.e., Joe and Jane Reader, who reads the books once when it comes out, and maybe again before the second book comes out. They probably are the same as people who make friendly wagers on the World Cup or Super Bowl without any real knowledge of the teams involved, only that the game is being played and the names of the teams: they will say or ask things that make the real football fans (of either sort) cringe!

We should not forget that we tend to dissect Rowling's writings in much more detail than does the average reader. (Indeed, I think that many people would use cognates of "obsess" when describing us..... )
I am glad you put this edit onto your post. Please everyone, don't be so hard on Scholastic.

They are publishers who specialize in literature for children and they do a great job on their Harry Potter section of the website. We adults should remember that children have a very different view of the books and cannot remember or figure out the intracacies of all the books like we do. THey have to keep it simple.

Way to go Scholastic for bringing the magical world of HP to children everywhere! Thanks for helping us parents and teachers buy your books at such reduced rates.

*Thanks Dedalus Diggle for the cool and hilarious siggie.
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:12 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I voted for the things worse than death option. I know there's the prophecy, butDumbledore says prophecies are valid when those concerned take them seriously. There are probably things Voldy would hate more than dying.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives