Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why Did Dumbledore Immobilise Harry?

Old July 3rd, 2007, 7:38 am
First Year

Re: Why Did Dumbledore Immobilise Harry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGriffin View Post
i have many things to say on this one...

1. why would dumbledore imobilize harry just after he said "i'm not worried, i'm with you." which basically says that he believes in harry. and he knew that harry was probably one of the best defense against dark arts students in hogwarts history. so why take away harry's chances at imobilizing draco without him noticing? that to me points to some sort of plan of dumbledore's.

2. i'm not sure if a person can use legilimancy to talk to someone telepathically but it seems like it can be done, so why wouldn't dumbledore, probably one of the better legilimans in the world, not say anything to harry? we have already seen, or so harry thinks, dumbledore go into harry's mind without harry noticing, even when harry was imobilized he could have given some sort of order. this to me also points to a plan of dumbledore's.

3. what is the arguement to save draco? why would he save one student who is on the dark side, to throw away harry's best chances to finding horcruxes? it doesn't make sense, even dumbledore knows that people die when there is a war and one person on the dark side is worth the death of lord voldemort.

all i know is, i can't wait to figure out what really happened on that night dumbledore died.
My thoughts exactly.

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 7:45 am
First Year

I'm guessing he didn't want Harry to move.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 8:27 am
Second Year

I think he didn't want Harry to stop Snape from killing him.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 9:03 am
Fifth Year

1. Harry could not be harmed, as he was 'the chosen one'!
2. Harry was there to witness the event
3. Harry was close by, so at Dumbledores' point of death, he could transfer his soul into Harry! How else is Harry going to find and destroy the Horcruxes, without Dumbledores help?

Old July 3rd, 2007, 9:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think that Dumbledore froze Harry for one or both of two reasons.
1) for his safety and
2) to show Harry that Draco wasent as bad as he thought, he was able to show Harry that Draco was not a killer

was very smart on DD part. He needs to keep Harry alive and well and he did that till the very end.

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 9:01 pm
First Year

ok dumbledore did it so draco can live... no that is ridiculous, dumbledore knew that a fight was raging below, why would he save the life of a known death eater when he could have killed, or at least imobilized draco, and gone on to save the others below. i know nobody was killed but only 4 of them took the felix felicis, one of the others could have died that night.

vs.

Dawlish.

Dumbledore wins.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:47 pm
Fifth Year

Dumbledore was offering his student and his mother a safe haven from Lord Voldemort. Why does that sound as if he didn't want Malfoy to live? And Dumbledore was in such a week state he would have been in no way able to help in the battle. But I don't think he even knew about the battle downstairs when he immobilised Harry. Draco just came running up. Immobilising Harry gave Dumbledore the perfect opportunity to offer Malfoy safety.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorMichael View Post
dude. are you dumbledore?
Yes. Severus simply spoke the words "Avada Kedavra" on top of the astronomy tower that night. No unforgivable curse was used. In reality, he cast a nonverbal spell the two of us created upon learning of Voldemort's plot to use young Draco as the tool of my murder. This spell, the Libra Librus charm, blasted me over the edge of the tower and straight off of the pages, into what you muggles - forgive me, old habits you know - you people call the real world.

Since arriving here I have enjoyed a much simpler life, once pleasently absent of Dark Lords, prophecies, horcruxes and precocious orphaned wizards whom I must constantly pull out of the proverbial fire. I've grown quite fond of your Sourpatch Kids and Twizzlers in the last two years and I must say I find it simply amazing that your department stores have such a plentitude of warm wool socks. I must say computers still baffle me, though.

Last edited by sickoftv; July 3rd, 2007 at 11:26 pm.
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:36 am
First Year

but what about when draco said that there were more death eaters in the building? how could dumbledore risk the deaths of the Order of the Phoenix just to save draco and his mother? and even if he wasn't fit to fight inside the castle it still would have been a morale booster and the death eaters would have been terrified.

i think dumbledore would have been strong enough to battle with the death eaters because of when harry needed to be saved in the cave. the adrenaline hit him and he forgot the pain of the potion.

vs.

Dawlish.

Dumbledore wins.
Old July 4th, 2007, 1:06 am
Arithmancer

He knew there was hope for Draco. Draco faultered and couldn't kill Dumbledore. He knew there was still hope there for Draco. Remembered he'd previously taken Snape in after he was a known Death Eater. Dumbledore had a huge amount of love,forgiveness, and trust in him.
I believe in his talking with Draco and that whole conversation between the 2 was also buying him time.

I'm still not convinced he and Snape had any agreement or plan but it's possible. There is a gab there for that theory.

And you're right, Dumbledore did not know that there was a raging battle below when he immobilized Harry on top the tower when Draco burst through the door. He only learned of the battle after Draco appeared.

There are some very good points being made here.

Old July 4th, 2007, 6:02 am
First Year

IMO, DD immobilized Harry so that he would see the truth about Malfoy, and more importantly, so that he would pursue Snape. This way Snape will be able to tell him things that he hadn't previously known, or some other very important details.

Old July 4th, 2007, 7:39 am
Third Year

Quote:
but what about when draco said that there were more death eaters in the building? how could dumbledore risk the deaths of the Order of the Phoenix just to save draco and his mother? and even if he wasn't fit to fight inside the castle it still would have been a morale booster and the death eaters would have been terrified.
Now I love DD to death but he is known to risk students lives. Not in an "i dont care kind of way" but in a heroic sense. I think hes confident in the Orders talents enough to leave them to fight for a moment or two. He did leave a member outside the DoM corridor in OotP. I believe that he immobilised Harry to show him that there is good in Draco... he knew Draco wasnt a murderer, and in that situation, he knew Harry wouldnt be able to control himself against Draco.

Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book_Worm_07 View Post
Why in the world would Dumbledore and Snape plan to kill Dumbledore? Honestly that's seriously crazy sounding in my opinion. I think Dumbledore knew what was going to happen(sort of). And he had a plan but i dont think Snape was in on it at all.
Agreed. I think Dumbledore knew for a long time what was coming. Some of the things he says to Malfoy in the tower lead me to believe so. I don't have my book with me so I can't provide exact quotes, but the impression I got was that Dumbledore knew much more than he let on all year, and that's why he waved it away when Harry brought up his suspicions about Malfoy earlier in the book.

I also agree that he immobilized Harry to keep him from interfering. He knew there was a possibility he might die, and he knew that Harry would not react so well to that happening. He also knew that Harry mustn't reveal himself to the Death Eaters because they would undoubtedly either kill him on the spot or take him to Voldemort himself and let him finish the job. Either way, it wasn't what Dumbledore wanted.

I expect Dumbledore has a reason for everything he does (including trusting Snape, whom I'm not sure about personally, but I'm getting off topic) and those will come out in Deathly Hallows.

"I...must...not...look...like...a...baboon's...bac kside."

"Did I tell you I've invented a broomstick that'll reach Jupiter!"

"Percy wouldn't recognize a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby's tea cozy!"

--Ron Weasley<3
Old July 4th, 2007, 1:52 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:

i think dumbledore would have been strong enough to battle with the death eaters because of when harry needed to be saved in the cave. the adrenaline hit him and he forgot the pain of the potion.
Dumbledore immobilised Harry before Malfoy entered. By the time Malfoy was talking about others being there and they could hear the battle below Dumbledore was slipping down the wall. It wouldn't have been much of a moral booster if Dumbledore fell down the stairs from weakness. I'm pretty sure the entire Order would run to help him and so would be cornered.

Old July 4th, 2007, 2:00 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsxrealxlove View Post
Agreed. I think Dumbledore knew for a long time what was coming. Some of the things he says to Malfoy in the tower lead me to believe so. I don't have my book with me so I can't provide exact quotes, but the impression I got was that Dumbledore knew much more than he let on all year, and that's why he waved it away when Harry brought up his suspicions about Malfoy earlier in the book.

I also agree that he immobilized Harry to keep him from interfering. He knew there was a possibility he might die, and he knew that Harry would not react so well to that happening. He also knew that Harry mustn't reveal himself to the Death Eaters because they would undoubtedly either kill him on the spot or take him to Voldemort himself and let him finish the job. Either way, it wasn't what Dumbledore wanted.

I expect Dumbledore has a reason for everything he does (including trusting Snape, whom I'm not sure about personally, but I'm getting off topic) and those will come out in Deathly Hallows.
I couldn't have said it better myself.... Apparently Dumbledore did have his own plan, whether Snape was involved or not, we'll find out soon enough.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 4th, 2007, 2:02 pm
Third Year

I simply think that Dumbledore did not want Harry to interfere. What was to be done was to be done. It is him at his most Gandalf. His most Yoda.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; July 4th, 2007 at 2:05 pm.
Old July 4th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I simply think that Dumbledore did not want Harry to interfere. What was to be done was to be done. It is him at his most Gandalf. His most Yoda.
He even turned green for a moment!

Old July 4th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Arithmancer

Oh now that's disturbing but I can't but laugh.

Old July 6th, 2007, 4:48 am
First Year

Dumbledore knew it was a trap as soon as they got there, and he knew that Harry would try to get in the way..attempt to stop whatever was going on... (Especially when it turned out to be Malfoy..) and he didn't want Harry to end up killed...given the prophecy.

at least thats what I think.

Professor McGonagall is amazing.

"I wonder, how you can expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

"I should have made my meaning plainer. He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."

"Are you quite sure you wouldn't like a cough drop, Dolores?"
Old July 6th, 2007, 9:03 pm
First Year

I don't believe it was in any way set up by Snape or Dumbledore. Albus took advantage of the situation the events in the cave put him in to keep himself and Harry alive. Snape showing up was a bonus for Dumbledore.
At the time he was blasted by Snape, it was impossible to kill him with the Killing Curse. I will explain.
When Harry and Dumbledore went into the cavern with the Horcrux, they were in an area where water could not exist (see Harry's efforts) but the island was in the middle of a lake. Filled with Inferi. Which are undead. What would be better to keep and preserve Inferi than a lake filled with not water but Draught of Living Death (this potion has the appearance of water, mentioned by Slughorn earlier in the book). Therefore, to slake the agony of the poison he was consuming Dumbledore sucked down a few liters of said potion. Being who he is, he realized it. Cut to the battlements. He knows he is heading towards a period of zombiehood and when the fewmets hit the ventilator he gets Harry out of the way because Harry is vulnerable and shortly he won't be. In comes Draco and what does he do? He gets him talking, delays things, giving the potion time to reach full effect. Enter Snape. Snape and Dumbledore are both serious Legillimens/Occlumens, so without speech Snape is filled in and suddenly...he can fulfill his Unbreakable Oath and still not betray Dumbledore. He hits DD with the curse and all it does is blow him off the battlements. You can't kill what's already dead. The fall smashed him up, but I have full faith in Madame Pomfrey to mend him.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives