Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Child of love potion

Old July 5th, 2007, 8:37 pm
First Year

Child of love potion

Is the reason Voldemort is the way he is because he is a side effect of the love potion? If the child is produced from two people who love each other artificially then the child will be fated and the strong obsessive love created by the potion is in fact reversed in the kid, i.e. they know no love.

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2007, 8:47 pm
Second Year

Re: Child of love potion

Interesting theory. It could be, as there seem to be no other explanation for his being a nasty little boy.

Old July 5th, 2007, 8:51 pm
Secret Keeper

JK has told us that Voldemort was not born evil, therefore, the love potion had nothing to do with what he has become. His choices have defined him, not the circumstances of his birth.
World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004mnich: Was Voldemort born evil?
JK Rowling replies -> I don't believe that anybody was born evil. You will find out more about the circumstances of his birth in the next book.

Old July 5th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Second Year

Well, maybe the love potion didn't make him evil, but just caused him to be unable to feel things like love.

Old July 5th, 2007, 9:08 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think the Love Potion itself stopped him being able to love. Even without a Love Potion there have to be children whose parents didn't really love each other. But the children were still able to go on and love. No, I think it was that because his father was only chained to his mother using a Love Potion that when it was lifted he abandoned his child. We know this caused Merope to abandon her powers and her life, leaving Tom Riddle to row up without love. So inadvertently the use of Love Potion caused him to know no kind of love.

Old July 5th, 2007, 9:16 pm
Second Year

But children who grow up at orphanages are still able to love, even though they have been deserted earlier in life. Something is really wrong with little Tom.

Old July 5th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Fifth Year

I think Tom is meant to be an example though of what can happen when the wrong essence inside a person meets the wrong circumstances. He had something in him, a talent for magic, intelligence which his time in the orphanage and later Hogwarts allowed to grow into something evil. As an opposite, take Harry. He seemed to live in muchworse circumstances where he actually was a slave for the Dursleys. Yet he had that one year where his mother protected him and gave up her life for him.

Of course something inside him is wrong. He was torturing by the age of 11.

Old July 6th, 2007, 4:36 am
First Year

interesting idea.

Professor McGonagall is amazing.

"I wonder, how you can expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

"I should have made my meaning plainer. He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."

"Are you quite sure you wouldn't like a cough drop, Dolores?"
Old July 6th, 2007, 4:42 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleF View Post
I think Tom is meant to be an example though of what can happen when the wrong essence inside a person meets the wrong circumstances.
I totally agree with that. It would be too easy to say he was born evil, that seems almost like scapegoating his later actions. And I also agree that the love potion had inadvertant bad affects (because it caused his father to leave).

But back to the original question, it would be interesting to study the affects a love potion would have on the kid, but there's really nothing in canon to say whether or not thats the reason.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Snivellus doesn't LIKE spoilers...

Old July 6th, 2007, 8:20 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraZy_Kender View Post
Interesting theory. It could be, as there seem to be no other explanation for his being a nasty little boy.
How about generations of inbreeding on the distaff side of his family?

Voldemort was given the choices to go straight when he came to hogwarts. But he was probably aching to get into Slytherin house from whatever he had heard about it. After leaving Hogwarts, he could have become minister of magic but he wanted dominion his way.

Old July 6th, 2007, 8:25 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Interesting idea. I think that could be part of it, but i think also just his upbringing also has made him the way he is. He didnt make the most of his situation as Harry has. He let his surroundings inlfuence who he became he did not attempt to ever allow himself to love or someone to love him. some could be the potion but there are other reasons as well he is the way he is.

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old July 6th, 2007, 8:30 am
First Year

I feel that JKR rather undermined the message of her books in HBP by making Tom Riddle evil at 11. Her message so far is that its choices, not birth, that define you, and yet for Tom Riddle to be evil at such a young age rather takes away from this point. He wasn't treated badly at the orphanage, and he has no other reason to be how he is. She seems to have just made him evil from birth, despite what she says about no-one being born evil.

Old July 6th, 2007, 8:41 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
I feel that JKR rather undermined the message of her books in HBP by making Tom Riddle evil at 11. Her message so far is that its choices, not birth, that define you, and yet for Tom Riddle to be evil at such a young age rather takes away from this point. He wasn't treated badly at the orphanage, and he has no other reason to be how he is. She seems to have just made him evil from birth, despite what she says about no-one being born evil.
I agree. It sounds almost like abit of a cop-out to say that Tom wasn't born evil when he was doing all these psychopathic things as a young child. Choosing to be evil at such a young age is practically the same as being born evil, is it not?

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch, Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it.. Say I知 the only bee in your bonnet!
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Old July 6th, 2007, 9:34 am
Fifth Year

Maybe, if he's have had a happy loving childhood, he wouldn't be this depraves terror, we have grown to hate?

Old July 6th, 2007, 10:17 am
First Year

In psychology I studied the effects of growing up in an orphanage as compared to growing up with a family. We learned that children who grow up in orphanages are often faced with severe social if not emotional or psychological problems. Growing up without being held enough has serious effects on a child's development. By the sound of the nanny at the nursery, she was one of few people at this place to take care of the kids. No orphanage can give kids the attention that they really need to have a normal life. Harry had his mother for his first year(the most important year of development). Tom had nothing. He was probably not given enough physical or emotional attention as a child and that had a horrible effect on his basic human development.

Couple this with the genetics, the idea that he was more than he knew, the lack of positive attention(which caused the need for negative attention), and the fact that he was torturing people by age 11 is no surprise. I know that I've seen kids who pull the wings off flies or beat up other kids. It's the same thing, but with Tom he had the ability to do more, and he chose to do so. His character is almost textbooks considering that he grew up in an orphanage in the 30's in Britain(Post WWI) when such places were not given the help from the govt that they are now. They were just there(much like the Dursleys') to keep the kids alive, not make sure they grew into productive and psychologically healthy members of society. Sad but true...

Old July 6th, 2007, 11:33 am
First Year

...so all kids who grow up in orphanages turn out to be psycopathic sociopaths?

Taure does not think so.

Old July 6th, 2007, 11:41 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
I agree that this is a weakness. But seeing as Voldemort is absolutely evil, I can honestly say I wasn't surprised at all. I expected him to have been a very scary kid, and when I read it, it felt natural and consistent with his character.

Old July 6th, 2007, 1:18 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Quote:
...so all kids who grow up in orphanages turn out to be psycopathic sociopaths?

Taure does not think so.
Tom Riddle did not grow up to be a psycopathic sociopath just because he grew up in an orphanage. There are children who are bullies just like him. In those eleven years of his life Tom Ridddle was a bully who was living with many younger children in a place where there could only ever be so much supervision. But unlike the bullies we meet in our day-to-day lives Tom had powers which put him in control of his victims absolutely and completely. He wasn't treated badly at the orphanage but when he started bullying the other children Mrs. Cole just stayed away from him.

Just by his circumstances Tom Riddle grew up fast. He had a huge degree of control over his powers at age 11 which leads to the tought that really he was very mature and capable. He wasn't a normal eleven year old in any way.

Old July 6th, 2007, 1:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWL_invidulator View Post
Is the reason Voldemort is the way he is because he is a side effect of the love potion? If the child is produced from two people who love each other artificially then the child will be fated and the strong obsessive love created by the potion is in fact reversed in the kid, i.e. they know no love.
Yeah, I had the similar thought.... and wondered what if Voldemort grew up in the family with loving mother and father... probably he wouldn't have wanted to look for immortality The fact that his mother was a witch and still she died, had a great impact on him I believe.

Sirius is alive. In my heart.
Old July 6th, 2007, 2:02 pm
Second Year

If JKR has said that we'll find out more about the circumstances of Tom's birth, so I think there are probably definitely more details coming about why he became how he was, even at such a young age. But it's an interesting theory, and indirectly at least, I think there's some degree of truth to it. I don't think it will turn out to be that "black and white", but I believe I remember her saying in one of her interviews that with the magic in her books, there has to be an equal and opposite action. And I don't think that necessarily has to mean a counterspell or an antidote.

I had a book about spellcasting in Magick - I'll try to remember what it was, and find the quote - and it discussed the need to really think about exactly what it was you were wishing for, because you might get exactly what you want, only to find out it's only what you think you wanted. And I think it used the idea of casting a love spell specifically - that if you wished "I wish for X to fall in love with me", as opposed to "I wish for someone to come into my live that embodies these qualities" that if you got X, you might find that it becomes an affair that has a dangerous intensity rather than passionate love - and / or you would always doubt whether your love was real or the illusion of the spell. I think Merope stopped giving Riddle the potion because of this.

I also like these thoughts from the finale of the musical Into The Woods (highly, highly recommended if you've never heard or seen it - watch the DVD of the Broadway cast):

"Careful the wish you make,
Wishes are children.
Careful the path they take -
Wishes come true,
Not free.
Careful the spell you cast,
Not just on children.
Sometimes the spell may last
Past what you can see
And turn against you."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives