Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Argus Filch - Character Analysis

Old August 9th, 2009, 12:45 am
Third Year

Re: Argus Filch - Character Analysis

1. Why does/did Dumbledore employ Argus Filch as caretaker? You wouldn't exactly call him someone the students have any respect for. Does Filch have a family connection with someone at Hogwarts or is Filch just the right (or only) man for the job?

The latter I think. There wouldn't be many people in the wizarding community willing togive up time merely clean up corridors. Filch really wanted to be recognised as magical; that would be why he was accepting of this position.

2. Filch hates the students, partly because they make a mess of Hogwarts. He shows his dislike many times in the books, so why does he still remain at Hogwarts? (from Filch’s point of view)

As I stated earlier, I think Filch really wanted to belong in the wizrding community. If that meant residing with students and a whole lot of mess, he would do it.

3. Umbridge took care to get Filch on her side as soon as possible and Filch had the time of his life under her reign. How do you think he reacted when Dumbledore came back?

I think he was annoyed that the power he could have over students had diminished greatly. He was probably also upset because Dumbledore's return also meant the departure of Umbridge.

4. Where do you think Filch’s loyalties lie?

His loyalties mostly lie with himself and Mrs Norris. We see him as slighhtly selfish after all. However, Filch is also loyal to Dumbledore (slightly) as he was the man to offer Filch a wizarding job.

5. Filch seemed to respect Dumbledore, positively adore Umbridge and now we have a new headmaster/mistress coming up. If this was McGonagall, what do you think will Filch’s attitude be towards her? How do you think he reacted to the Carrows?

I think he considered McGonagall to be half-insane at times but wouldn't speak this opinion out loud for McGonagall wasn't one to cross. He would also have respected her though, she being a formidable and talented witch. As for the Carrows, they may have given Filch the same powers he had under the wing of Umbridge. This means that Filch would give them the same admiration and pleasure to have power over the students.

6. Do you think we learned anything new about Filch in DH?

We had it confirmed that he disliked Peeves and thought the poltergeist to be useless. We also found out that while he may disagree with McGonagall's orders, he still will obey.

7. What do you think about Argus Filch as a character?

I think that Filch is self-centred, power-loving (but not in the way Voldemort was) and obedient. I find him unpleasant and a grouchy guy that ruins a third of the Hogwarts fun.

8. Hypothetical: Imagine Filch wasn't a squib but a qualified wizard. He would still be the caretaker at Hogwarts though. Based on what we know about his character, in which of the four houses would he have been sorted? Does the canon we know give any hints towards Filch's possible preferences?

I can't think of many good hints, but I'd consider him a Slytherin. After all, he was overjoyed to work alongside many Slytherin students of the Inquisitorial Squad. His power crave and ambition to do Kwikispell also demonstarte Slytherin traits.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2009, 4:43 am
First Year

1. Why does/did Dumbledore employ Argus Filch as caretaker? You wouldn't exactly call him someone the students have any respect for. Does Filch have a family connection with someone at Hogwarts or is Filch just the right (or only) man for the job?
He knows the school better than anyone with the exception of the Weasley twins and the Marauders. That and the fact that he'd have no where to go, and Dumbledore's not the type to toss people out on their butts.

2. Filch hates the students, partly because they make a mess of Hogwarts. He shows his dislike many times in the books, so why does he still remain at Hogwarts? (from Filch’s point of view)
Its been his home for at least 25 years and he's got nowhere to go. I think that perhaps, despite all his complaining, looking after Hogwarts is his one and only passion.

3. Umbridge took care to get Filch on her side as soon as possible and Filch had the time of his life under her reign. How do you think he reacted when Dumbledore came back?

Probably a bit disappointed now that he's back under a closer watch.

With Hogwarts itself, and what he feels is best for it.

5. Filch seemed to respect Dumbledore, positively adore Umbridge and now we have a new headmaster/mistress coming up. If this was McGonagall, what do you think will Filch’s attitude be towards her? How do you think he reacted to the Carrows?

He'd give her the respect and obedience he gave she gave Dumbledore. Maybe even a bit more, she's a strict lady and would likely be less flexible with rule breaking than Dumbledore. I'd imagine that while he enjoyed the Carrows methods, it was probably from a distance. After all, he is a squib, which to them is probably worse than a muggle.

No, he's in it for about 20 seconds.

He's a nasty, bitter old man, but is great for comic relief.

8. Hypothetical: Imagine Filch wasn't a squib but a qualified wizard. He would still be the caretaker at Hogwarts though. Based on what we know about his character, in which of the four houses would he have been sorted? Does the canon we know give any hints towards Filch's possible preferences?

I feel like disagreeing with everyone, and I'm going to go with GRYFFINDOR!!!! He's a squib with no magical talent what so ever and still has the guts to tell-off, threaten, and punish students, some of which are capable of performing magic that could do very nasty things to him if they chose to.

Old August 15th, 2009, 6:48 pm
First Year

I'd say that he's just the right man for the job. I mean, he's someone who deffinately holds discipline at a high standard. If anybody can keep students like Fred and George in line, it'd be Filch... well, yeah, he didn't keep them in line at all really, but I'm sure there'd be a whole lot more chaos in Hogwarts if he wasn't there. Not to mention that he's a squib, so Dumbledore could've taken some pity on him, knowing that it'd be difficult for Filch to succeed in any other profession in the Wizarding world.

Again, probably because he doesn't think he'll succeed in any other profession in the wizarding world. There's also the fact that, while working at Hogwarts, he gets free room and board.

I'm guessing that he was a bit disappointed, but I think Filch liked Dumbledore.

Deffinately with Dumbledore. Yes, he liked Umbridge because she let him use severe punishments, but Dumbledore's kind to Filch... I doubt that Umbridge actually enjoyed Filch as a person.

I'm guessing that Filch hated the Carrows. Yes, they used severe punishment for students, but when you think about it, Filch is a squib -- he can't perform the cruciatus, which is what they used for punishment. Since Filch can't punish the students (one of his seemingly favorite hobbies), he must've been pretty bored.

As for McGonagall, I think he'll enjoy her as well... she may be soft on the inside, but she's pretty strict.

No, not really.

I like him, and I don't like him. He's one of those characters that you know makes the series what it is, and he's deffinately there for comic relief purposes, which makes the series more entertaining. As a person, he's not someone I would like very much in real life, though.

I think he would be in... oh man, I have no clue. I guess... Hufflepuff? I know that he liked Umbridge, but he seems to be loyal to Dumbledore otherwise.... he's deffinately not cunning, intelligent, or brave, so... it's more the process of elimination, I suppose. Jo never really seems to hint at anything.

Old August 16th, 2009, 2:08 am
Second Year

I imagine he got on pretty well with Snape, who understands petty desires for revenge.

Proud owner of Emerson's autograph.
Old August 16th, 2009, 2:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriseldatheGood View Post
I imagine he got on pretty well with Snape, who understands petty desires for revenge.
I'd guess the same... not to mention that they both find pleasure in... less than mild punishment.

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Third Year

Poor filch. I like how filch could no more have stunned Fred and George's fireworks than swallowed them.

Why would he want to swallow them? hehe.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 6:38 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Dumbledore seemed to have a soft spot for misfits, and Filch certainly fits that category. Where else would he have gone? From the sound of it, Filch had been at Hogwarts for quite a while, possibly even while Dumbedore was a student. He would have been too soft hearted to throw him out.

I think he hates them because of his not being able to do magic. We don't hear much about his family, but, I assume a Squib would be from two magical parents or they wouldn't be expected to have powers. Since he didn't, it had to be pretty embarassing to watch all of the half-bloods and students from non-magical parents being able to do magic when he can't.

Again, I think he stayed because he didn't have anyplace else to go.

He probably missed Umbridge, but, I think Filch respected Dumbledore, and maybe was even grateful to him for keeping him at Hogwarts.

I think with Dumbledore. Knowing the feelings of Voldemort toward "half- bloods" and "mudbloods," he probably felt the same about Squibs...maybe worse as they would have had the advantage of having magical parents but no magical abilities, possibly even a bigger insult to pure-blooded wizarding families.

I think he would have respected her because I think he respected Dumbledore and McGonagall both.

I didn't. But, I wasn't concentrating that much on him.

He was kind of sad. The only one he had who really cared about him was Mrs. Norris.

Probably Slytherin. I think he had the temperment of a Slytherin.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 8:04 am
Second Year

Most people who answered the last question chose Slytherin. Other reasons were provided, but I feel his surly attitude greatly contributed to that conclusion. However, I don't know if he would be quite so grumpy and violent if he had been a wizard. I think that comes from a jealous that grows and grows over the years. I mean, we see how Petunia is, and it was just her sister being a witch in a family of Muggles, and that wasn't discovered for ten years. Imagine how she would be if she grew up in the wizarding world, slowly coming to the realization (not fully accepting until the letter never comes) over the years that she has no magical abilities. That's Filch. Combined with years of working at the very place he probably yearned to attend, watching a bunch of unappreciative children (he probably regarded them as taking their abilities for granted, and no doubt the non-muggleborns did) "wreak havoc" instead of study like he wishes he could.

As to why he continues to work there, maybe he hopes that all the magic in the place would rub off on him. Or perhaps he's been there so long, that's all he knows now, and can't think of a reason to leave. At this point he probably enjoys being miserable. Plus there's Madam Pince.

Here's what I think: the way he got there in the first place is he had family there. They were trying to include him in the world that he was devastated to not be fully part of. Perhaps he had an uncle that was a professor and scored him a job as caretaker so he could still be around his cousins and siblings who attended. Maybe they went off and got careers elsewhere in the wizarding world upon graduation and he lost touch (grew apart emotionally as well? got tired of being felt sorry for?) or they died. He's definitely alone in the world, but whether that's by choice or circumstance, I'm not sure. He's probably got a great, heartbreaking backstory.

Pet: Screech owl named Artemis

"...what is easy is often not right."
with a twist of but CoS says i'm
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:58 pm
First Year

Knowing Dumbledore and his humanity, I'd say that Filch was already working as a caretaker at Hogwarts prior to Dumbledore ascending into office, and that Dumbledore chose not to fire him because he wasn't really doing anything wrong. As for Filch having any family connections with anyone at Hogwarts, I'd vote in the negative. Caretakers, at least in this instance, aren't exactly "important", and so, he might've gotten the job simply because he applied with a reasonable asking salary and a reasonable resume, if any.

Perhaps it is reasonable to say that Filch remains at Hogwarts because it is the home he has come to know. Of course, he might be there after all those years due to difficulty in finding another job, monetary issues, loyalty to previous benefactors etc. But I'd still like to say it's because Hogwarts was his home.

I think he accepted Dumbledore's return, albeit grudgingly. Dumbledore never did allow him to dish out the punishments he yearned to dish out, that's a fact. However, I've always felt that there was some kind of respect he held for Dumbledore, something unsurprising, really.

I think Filch's true loyalties lay in Hogwarts; the grounds, the castle, the very essence that flits through its walls.

I think Filch would've treated McGonagall more or less the way he treated Dumbledore. Certainly, he might not hold her in as high a regard as he held Dumbledore, but I believe that the fundamental respect still stands there. On the other hand, I don't think Filch would've liked it if the Carrows were in charge. Yes, he loves his punishments, some of which does seem pretty messed up. However, I feel as if he's not completely evil. And if anything, I'd vote for the notion of Filch being afraid of the Carrows, perhaps more so because he's a squib, someone not generally favored by those on the dark side.

Not quite.

To be honest, I've never really paid that much attention to him. To me, he just seems like the grumpy, discontent janitor that frequently roams the hallways in search of his quick thrill (punishing students). However, I feel like he is a character to be pitied, not so much because of the way he is, but because of the loneliness he must've felt - being the only non-magical being in a magical world.

It's difficult to answer this. It's hard to picture Filch being distinctively sorted into any of the houses, though if I had to pick one, I'd say Hufflepuff. Filch certainly is loyal, and he is hardworking, though a fan of frequent mutinous complaining. So that'd be it, I reckon.

Old March 13th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravnklo View Post
Knowing Dumbledore and his humanity, I'd say that Filch was already working as a caretaker at Hogwarts prior to Dumbledore ascending into office, and that Dumbledore chose not to fire him because he wasn't really doing anything wrong.

We know that Flich wasn't caretaker at Hogwarts until after Molly and Arthur Weasley were at school.

HP lexiconApollyon Pringle, caretaker at Hogwarts when Arthur and Molly Weasley attended (1960s), preceding Argus Filch. He punished Arthur (for being caught out at night with Molly) in a way that left permanent scars (GF31).

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
We know that Flich wasn't caretaker at Hogwarts until after Molly and Arthur Weasley were at school.

HP lexiconApollyon Pringle, caretaker at Hogwarts when Arthur and Molly Weasley attended (1960s), preceding Argus Filch. He punished Arthur (for being caught out at night with Molly) in a way that left permanent scars (GF31).
I've checked and you're right.
HP Wiki"Haven't you been complaining about Peeves for a quarter of a century?"
— Minerva McGonagall, in 1998 (DH)

Apparently, according to the aforementioned, Filch only begun working in Hogwarts in about 1973 whereas Dumbledore ascended to the position of headmaster prior to the year 1955, so I apologize for my mistake.

Old March 18th, 2012, 3:48 am
First Year

I think Dumbledore employed Filch because he knew there was really nowhere else for him. As a squib, there's nowhere in the muggle world for him because he was raised by wizards. Also, as a squib, there's nowhere for him in the wizarding world. I think Dumbledore just made a place for him.

This goes back to what I said before, there's not a place for him anywhere else. Plus, Filch does get his little happy moments, like taking students into the Dark Forest for detention.

I think he was probably disappointed because he felt less important than what Umbridge made him feel.

I think his loyalties lie with whoever can protect him. If he tried being one of Voldemorts followers, he'd be dead, because they'd consider him as bad as a muggle-born. Umbridge would take care of him until she had no use for him anymore. I think Dumbledore would have his support, though, even if he did stray a bit.

I think he would respect either McGonagall, or the Carrows, as his superiors. However, he would go with the majority as far as actually liking either of them.

I think this is where we learned about his loyalties, and that he isn't completely useless.

I think Filch overcompensates for being a Squib. He isn't one thing or another. He joins the majority to feel like he can be part of something big whether it's good or bad (OotP for example).

I think he would prefer to be in Slytherin. He would probably end up there because he would feel more special there, surrounded by good pals, than anywhere else.

Old March 18th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I know this doesn't answer your questions, but since Hogwarts is so large, Filch couldn't clean it alone. The house-elves would help. But, could Filch give the house-elves an order, "like help me clean up mud the students brought in"? Or would he have to go to Dumbledore to get the house-elves to help?
This could be why he hated the students, they made messes and he couldn't get the house-elves to help?

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:08 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I know this doesn't answer your questions, but since Hogwarts is so large, Filch couldn't clean it alone. The house-elves would help. But, could Filch give the house-elves an order, "like help me clean up mud the students brought in"? Or would he have to go to Dumbledore to get the house-elves to help?
This could be why he hated the students, they made messes and he couldn't get the house-elves to help?
I never thought about this. Does being a Squib make Filch unable to order house-elves around? He's not magical himself but he works for Hogwarts and as such he is part of the, well, establishment. I really have no idea whether this would give him a certain authority with magical creatures or not. Really interesting issue.

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I never thought about this. Does being a Squib make Filch unable to order house-elves around? He's not magical himself but he works for Hogwarts and as such he is part of the, well, establishment. I really have no idea whether this would give him a certain authority with magical creatures or not. Really interesting issue.
I'm more inclined to think the elves were sort of an integrated unit, and had well-defined duties. As long as they did what they were supposed to and Filch did his part, much interaction between Filch and the house-elves wouldn't be required. There wouldn't be any reason for him to "order them around", IMO. From what we see, Filch's duties were largely restricted to cleaning of corridoors etc, and the house-elves took care of dormitories and classrooms.

Old March 25th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvseverus View Post
I'm more inclined to think the elves were sort of an integrated unit, and had well-defined duties. As long as they did what they were supposed to and Filch did his part, much interaction between Filch and the house-elves wouldn't be required. There wouldn't be any reason for him to "order them around", IMO. From what we see, Filch's duties were largely restricted to cleaning of corridoors etc, and the house-elves took care of dormitories and classrooms.
I agree. I think Filch was an employee of Hogwarts, just as Madam Pince and Madam Pomfrey were, and each employee has their own set of job responsibilities. I think Filch answered to Dumbledore and perhaps Deputy Headmistress McGonagall, and the same applied to the house elves. Both would also help out in different situations, owing to their personalities - the house elves would probably fix a snack for any student who visited the kitchen, while Filch would help Snape track any students wandering the corridors at night.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old March 25th, 2012, 9:41 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvseverus View Post
Fair points. But not everyone always does what their supposed to do and, well, Filch always showed a keen interest in what was going on in Hogwarts. I'm not saying that he habitually overstepped the boundaries of his job description but I wouldn't put it past him if he felt that a job wasn't as well done as he would have liked. That's speculation, of course.

Old April 5th, 2012, 5:10 am
Second Year

I think Dumbledore is/was a fair, diplomatic man, and wouldn't release Filch just because the students did not like him, as long as he, Filch, did his job.

Hm, from Filch's point of view? Hard to say; perhaps because he values an orderly and clean environment.

He was probably disappointed, but prepared to show reluctant respect for whoever is in charge.

Toward anyone who shares his opinions of the students.

McGonagall seems to command respect, so I think he will be polite in person, but mutter about her when he thinks she can't hear him.

Can't remember at the moment about Filch in DH.

I like him and he makes me laugh, although if I were a student at Hogwarts, I probably wouldn't feel the same way. His presence keeps the students alert, and careful about how they attempt to sneak around and get into trouble.

Filch is "Unafraid of toil" - one of the Hufflepuff traits.

Old April 5th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

(1) I think there might be a family connection with someone at Hogwarts. I think this is why he works at Hogwarts. It helps jim to stay connected to the wizarding world. Most wizards look down on squibs so his family might reject him and working at Hogwarts helps him stay in touch.
( 2) I think Filch stays at Hogwarts mainly because he would be alone otherwise.
(3). I think Filch was disappointed with Dumbledore returning. He mentioned that he told Dumbledore that he was too soft on the students.
(4). I think his loyalties lie with who ever was Headmaster/mistress of Hogwarts
(5). I think Filch liked the Carrows, but refused to let anyone know about it.
(6) No, we didn't learn anything new about filch in DH.
(7) I feel sorry for him. But I think there are a lot of schools who have caretaker like him.
(8) I think Filch would be sorted into Slytherin, just because he is nasty.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies