Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Hufflepuff House: Group Character Analysis

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Auror Emeritus

Hufflepuff House: Group Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Hufflepuff House. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

1. Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?

2. Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?

3. What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?

4. What are the significance of Earth and the Badger to Hufflepuff?

5. What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?

6. What new thoughts do you have on Hufflepuff post DH?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:34 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Hufflepuff House: Group Character Analysis

1. They need to be steadfast and loyal and do their duty no matter what. Often they put anybody else before themselves.

2. Not at all. It seems so, I think, because Rowling put everybody she likes in Gryffindor and everybody she doesn't like in Slytherin. :-) It would be more realistic if for example Molly Weasly was a Hufflepuff. She perfectly matches what Rowling says hufflepuffs should be.

4. Earth is being earthbound, grounded in reality. The Badger is hardy and sometimes a bit blind. :-)

To continue the MBTI-theme: Hufflepuffs are predominantly Sensing-Judgers, I think.

The Polyphonic Spree.

Last edited by smartypants; July 24th, 2007 at 8:39 pm.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:08 am
Mrs Grawp

I'd like to point out something regarding Hufflepuffs in DH:

The first guy who says that they'll stay and fight in Hogwarts is Ernie McMillan, Prefect of Hufflepuff.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old July 26th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think Hufflepuff really came good in DH. They were ahead of Ravenclaw in defending Harry from Pansy and in the numbers that stayed to fight. They showed you didn't have to be in Gryffindor to have courage and determination. Their principal quality of loyalty probably came to the fore in the last chapters, but it was loyalty to the school, to Harry and to the cause of good that they came out for. They showed that Cedric wasn't a lone Hufflepuff but represented them all. I think of them as Sam in relation to Frodo, loyal, brave, unambitious and utter heroes!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 27th, 2007, 4:00 am
Second Year

DH seemed to be the first book that portrayed Hufflepuffs as something other than fluffy happy go lucky gals and guys. When more Hufflepuffs stood up to stay and fight (and protect Harry from the Slytherins) than the other 2 houses, the first thing that came to my mind was they took Dumbledore's speech to heart (end of book 4) about not letting Cedric die in vain and that the only way to be victorious at Hogwarts was if all houses joined together to fight against Valdemort. Go Hufflepuff!

Old July 27th, 2007, 9:43 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I think Hufflepuff really came good in DH. They were ahead of Ravenclaw in defending Harry from Pansy and in the numbers that stayed to fight.
I noticed that too! I think JKR was trying to show that kindness and loyalty does not contradict bravery and nerve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatus_Benevol1 View Post
DH seemed to be the first book that portrayed Hufflepuffs as something other than fluffy happy go lucky gals and guys.
Well, I never thought they were, but the general view on Hufflepuff was often in that line. I think that DH might put an end to these predjudices. After all badgers bite too (incidentally, some badger species eat snakes... )

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:23 pm
First Year

Did I read correctly that Zacharias Smith pushed his way to the front of the line to escape Hogwarts before the fighting ensued instead of staying with the rest of Dumbledore's Army? If so, he's a disgrace to the House of Hufflepuff! Perhaps he should have been in Slytherin!

Old July 30th, 2007, 11:53 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRJLupin View Post
Did I read correctly that Zacharias Smith pushed his way to the front of the line to escape Hogwarts before the fighting ensued instead of staying with the rest of Dumbledore's Army? If so, he's a disgrace to the House of Hufflepuff! Perhaps he should have been in Slytherin!
Well the world is not divided into bad people and Hufflepuffs

Actually I like that Zach is in Hufflepuff. It shows that Hufflepuff does not necessarily mean to be nice and kind to everybody. Zach must have the main characteristics of Hufflepuff, which are hardworking and loyal, but nonetheless this doesn't mean he has to be on the DA side.

Slytherins are not all bad. Unfortunately, and as adressed in the Slytherin thread it comes around this way.

But generally I am pleased how Hufflepuffs react. Very brave and ready to fight.

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:32 am
Third Year

1. Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?

I would say that the predominant quality needed to be a Hufflepuff (ideally) would be acceptance. If you think about it, it makes sense -- Hufflepuff herself wanted to accept anyone who wanted to learn, without being selective. While the other three Founders prided themselves on bravery, brains, and cunningness, Hufflepuff prided herself on simply accepting anyone who didn't fit into the other two categories. Whether or not that reigns true hasn't really been seen, because you could argue that the Hufflepuffs were the least accepting of Harry in CoS when he was thought to be the Heir of Slytherin.

2. Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?

I think that is possible. But I would like to think that everyone contains at least some degree of all of the things required to be sorted into any of the houses, so Hufflepuffs would be sorted into Hufflepuff because they don't pride themselves on those qualities as much. After all, bravery, brains, and cunningness are NOT the only three qualities a person can have.

3. What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?

I don't even know where to start with this question...

Well for one, their it directly effects the makeup of their common room... underground, tunnels, etc. But more importantly, it shows that they tend to be more down to earth, not so stuck on certain aspects of others.

5. What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?

The main significance, I think, is that it corresponds with the way English boarding schools have houses... that is, after all, where she got the idea. I think that it gives students a sense of community in a (debatably) large school, a sort of sense of home. Hufflepuff acts as a buffer to the other three houses, especially Slytherin and Gryffindor, who seem to exhibit more rivalry towards each other.

Well, it isn't really a new thought, but I would still love to know what the properties of Hufflepuffs cup were before it was turned into a Horcrux. I feel that having that knowledge would shed a light on the Hufflepuff house, which was often portrayed as a bunch of duffers that kept getting sort of shunted out of the picture. However, I did think it was extremely wonderful to see the Hufflepuffs react in such a proactive manner at the onslaught of the war, namely Ernie being the first to stand up and ask about allowing students to stay behind and fight if they wanted to.

Old October 10th, 2007, 12:00 am
I want to believe

Though I believe it’s mainly a combination of the traits valued by Helga Hufflepuff, if I was to pick an overwhelming trait I think I’d pick a sense of justness/fairness/equality. The fact that Helga Hufflepuff was willing to “teach the lot and treat them just the same” seems like the most important part of being a Hufflepuff – being willing to treat others fairly and justly.

Many people consider Hufflepuff the “left-over” House because of the way the Sorting Hat says that Helga vowed to “teach the lot”. I don’t really believe this is true, though I do believe that Helga Hufflepuff was the most tolerant and inclusive of the Founders. Perhaps to a degree Hufflepuff took any other student who didn’t seem to fit into the other three Houses, but for the most part I believe that all Hufflepuffs display at least one of the traits Hufflepuff valued to a certain degree.

In general, I’d say Hufflepuffs would be more likely to stop and think things through before rushing into a situation; I think they’d operate by the motto “slow and steady wins the race”. They’d also (presumably) be the most tolerant people, so they’d be willing to include and accept as many people as possible. They’d probably also be fairer judges of people and situations than those from other Houses.

Hufflepuffs seem to be very down-to-Earth people, being loyal and hard-workers. The Badger symbolizes many things in different cultures, such as supernatural power, mischief, wisdom, caring, bravery, perseverance, protection, aggressiveness, and passion/drive. I’d say the most relevant characteristics that fit with Hufflepuff nature are probably passion/drive and perseverance, since that speaks to the hard-working nature of Hufflepuffs. But many of the other characteristics are fitting as well.

As I mentioned earlier, many people believe that Hufflepuff is the House for people who don’t belong into other houses. And as I said above, I believe this is an incorrect assessment because Hufflepuff does value certain characteristics, such as loyalty, fairness, and being hard-working. But Hufflepuff is definitely different from all the others in that Helga Hufflepuff seemed to be the most tolerant of the other Founders (with Slytherin being the least tolerant).

I loved very much that we were introduced to another Hufflepuff besides Cedric - namely Tonks. I really liked that she was in Hufflepuff because that gives this great house another chance to shine. I think Hufflepuffs were generally underestimated, but the final battle at Hogwarts likely changed that notion.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:47 am
Third Year

I definitely think there is a predominant quality like loyalty or fairness that all Hufflepuff's share to some degree.

I don't think so, its just that Helga Hufflepuff beleived in equality and treated anyone with Hufflepuff (and sorted into Hufflepuff) traits the same.

I think Hufflepuff wouldn't just rush into a situation. They would look at it from various angles then decide what to do.

Earth probaly represents hard-working, loyal, and pratical ways.

I think she made it look rather like the house of easy-going people or people who treat others fairly.

It was interesting how more Hufflepuff's stayed then Ravenclaw. I know that I'm in ravenclaw, but I've always really liked Hufflepuff.

Old October 10th, 2007, 12:58 am
Ordo Lebes

Everyone always says the Hufflepuffs are loyal and kind, but personally, I also imagine them to be very artistic people. I'm not too sure why, but I guess it's because the other day I was trying to "sort" my friends into the four houses, and my more artistically-inclined friends all struck me as Hufflepuffs. And the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me. Can't you just imagine the Hufflepuff common room as this comfy, musical place with lots of really nice art around the walls? With like, one kid strumming a guitar by the fire and another humming along as they draw pretty pictures... That's kind of how I picture it.

Oooh, I bet they're all really good at cooking, too. Cooking's an art! And their common room is near the kitchens.

I'm probably pulling this out of absolutely nowhere, but that's my imagination for you.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:34 am
Fifth Year

I was confused how in one song Hufflepuff was not described with any qualities.The one that mentioned founders,

Good Hufflepuff, she took the rest,
And taught them all she knew,

Do you think that maybe people who were less suited for other houses ere put in Hufflepuff?
I have to say of all the founder this makes Helga seem the best.Slytherin favoured pure-blood,but Gryffindor and Ravenclaw also had preferences too(obviously not as bad as Slytherin).It seemed Hufflepuff was the only one who seem to accept all.

Old October 10th, 2007, 10:43 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
Do you think that maybe people who were less suited for other houses ere put in Hufflepuff?
Atleast that is what the Song suggest, but then how come Cedric landed himself in there, he was a brave guy and could well have been in Gryffindor.

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:22 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Atleast that is what the Song suggest, but then how come Cedric landed himself in there, he was a brave guy and could well have been in Gryffindor.
No I don't mean they have no qualities at all,but in the case in which you weren't more suited for the other houses you be put in Hufflepuff(by default).

Old October 10th, 2007, 4:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
Why is it that when I think about Hufflepuff I want to snuggle them? Can that be a predominant quality? Okay for real I think their fairness or justness it the dominant trait. Maybe a more down-to-eart personality as well. (Earth is the corresponding element for the Hufflepuff house).

Quote:
Yes I think so. This part of the song makes me feel that way, it is right after the hat tells why each of the other three houses chose their members:
OoTP, 2005
Said Hufflepuff, "I'll take the lot,
And treat them just the same."

*snip*

"Good Hufflepuff she took the rest,
And taught them all she knew."

Quote:
Earth this their corrersponding element as I have mentioned above. But it suggest people are down to earth and easygoing from this house. The Badger is known to be a very agressive animal which suggests that the house members can be aggressive if provoked. Which I think accounts for their participation in the DA and the Final Battle.

Old October 11th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Second Year

I think that consistency, and solidarity are the predominant qualities has been shown for this house.

To be Hufflepuffs I think a student must have focus, and an unwavering nature. In Hufflepuff I think it matters less what traits you where innately born with (like say wit, cunning, or bravery) and more what you are willing to work to accomplish. For Hufflepuff I don't think the means justify the ends. Instead the journey is the most important thing.

I think Hufflepuff more then any other house is willing to work with potential in a student; not necessarily the skills or traits they bring with them to Hogwarts. After all good work ethic can be learned, as can things like patience; both are qualities that seem important to Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff more then any other house is the house that I think believes in Nurture vs Nature.

That said I think you need to have a strong, and loyal nature to be in Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff is the only house we never see a traitor or a sneak from; and I don't think that is coincidence.

Well for one I don't think that Marietta would have ratted out the DA if she had been in Hufflepuff. It would also surprise me greatly if Fudge was a Hufflepuff, for his actions in OotP.

Earth is the perfect element for Hufflepuff; as the word that best describes them in my mind is "grounded". Helga Hufflepuff was grounded enough to know that not every magical child was going to be a cunning pure blood; a legendary hero in training; or a genus. She staid consent to the original idea of Hogwarts, that it was a place for all magical children. And opened her house to the children who would have otherwise fallen through the cracks. She also focused on potential, not ability; and so chose to have her house focus on things that could be learned like work ethic.

The badger is also a wonderful symbol for Hufflepuff. Very tenacious and, respectable animal; but not one with his head in the clouds or one that is dreaming up how very grand he must be.The badger is not the king of the beasts like the lion, not the king of the birds like the eagle, or the mythical and daunting serpent. For me the quote "Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly" (Saint Francis) applies easily to both Hufflpuffs, and the tenacious badger embodies that well.

There was not a lot of room in a story this for Hufflepuffs. This is a grand adventure; and the most a grounded, loyal, decent Hufflepuff can contribute to the story is as the sacrificial sheep.

Not much. They did not contribute hugely to the plot; but staid consistent as ever.

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw
Old October 27th, 2007, 5:51 am
First Year

I think I'll take a slightly different stance on this thread, since its not getting much attention, and analyze by character...

Hannah Abbott: First to be sorted, skeptical of Harry's bloodline in CoS, sports a Potter Stinks Badge in GoF. The badge actually supports Hufflepuff loyalty, and does not necessarily display cruelty/jerkiness. High strung - freaks out about OWLs, but becomes Prefect. Member of the DA

Susan Bones: Not mentioned (after PS/SS) until OotP when she joins the DA. Splinches herself. Pretty nondescript.

Cedric Diggory: Do I even have to explain? Most well-known Hufflepuff, loyal, brave, sometimes a cocky poo face.

Justin Finch-Fletchley: Also skeptical of Harry's role as Heir of Slytherin. Loyal to Cedric during the Triwizard Tourney (also not a bad thing in itself). Joins D.A. End Scene.

Ernie Macmillan: Also anti-Harry and pro-Huff in both CoS and GoF, but apologizes after both, which takes a great deal of courage. Became Prefect and DA member, and is also the first to volunteer to fight at the final battle.

Zacharias Smith: Biggest jerk of a Huff ever, but still loyal, just to...unadvisable people. Darts out of the final battle as fast as he can. Was a member of the DA. I am interested to know what happened to him.

Pomona Sprout: Herbology teacher, head of Hufflepuff House. Supports Dumbledore and fights valiantly in the final battle. With plants, of course.

Nymphadora Tonks: Well, we already know how awesome Tonks is, but she's an Auror, member of the OotP, married to Remus Lupin. Funny, smart, talented, clumsy.

So, we can see that loyalty is the biggest connecting factor. All of these characters are also very different, which goes with the acceptance idea. Mostly down to earth (minus Ernie), and all fierce when it comes to protecting/fighting for those they are loyal to (badger).

| Christians For Harry |

Wombats Level Three: Outstanding!
(pwned.)
Old October 27th, 2007, 7:06 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
I was confused how in one song Hufflepuff was not described with any qualities.The one that mentioned founders,

Good Hufflepuff, she took the rest,
And taught them all she knew,

I have to say of all the founder this makes Helga seem the best.Slytherin favoured pure-blood,but Gryffindor and Ravenclaw also had preferences too(obviously not as bad as Slytherin).It seemed Hufflepuff was the only one who seem to accept all.
It can be viewed that way. I tend to think though that Helga Hufflepuff was without prejudice, and I like to think that this is one of the defining qualities of the house as well. So we have Brave Gryffindor, cunning Slytherin, Wise Ravenclaw and tolerant Hufflepuff.
I personally think that the books show repeatedly that sorting the children according to traits they have at eleven, or preferences they may have regarding the Hogwarts houses, is a stupid idea that causes an awful lot of trouble!

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old November 16th, 2007, 4:48 pm
Second Year

I would say, to be a Hufflepuff you would have to have quite a balanced personality, but the main traits for the house are loyalty and tolerance.

No, that's the job of the House of Awesome. Jokes. But anyway, everybody fits in to one house, nobody has exactly equal amounts of courage, ambition, loyalty and intelligence! But I would say that as Hufflepuff's traits are being the best you can be and working hard and being patient, it is more of a learning house than any other. Like BlackCatsMeow said, it seems to go with Nuture over Nature.

I am a HufflePuff. Well technically, a HuffleClaw is really me, but they don't seem to have that yet. hm....

luv!

nerdfighter
i need to kick off and fly into the night
follow the red sparks and hold on tight
the higher we get the colder the wind whips in my face
and it feels like i'm breathing for the first time tonight

The stars are going out...the darkness is coming...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References