Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Kingsley Shacklebolt: Character Analysis

Old July 22nd, 2007, 8:26 pm
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat

Kingsley Shacklebolt: Character Analysis

This thread is to discuss the character of Kingsley and his characterisation through DH.

In OotP he was an Auror in charge of Sirius Black hunt. Also in the Order, therefore prevented the actual capture by giving false information.
In the Ministry battle he is one of the members of the Order going to rescue Harry and the others.

In HBP he is in charge of protecting the Prime Minister which shows a vaste knowledge of Muggles and a high adaptability to different tasks.

In DH we see him still protecting the Ministry. He also is part of the Potter movement from Dursley's house, protecting Hermione on a thestral. He saves many lives by warning the people at the wedding of the fall of the Ministry.

He takes part in the Potterwatch under the name Royal, asking wizards to protect muggles and making an emphasis on the equality of all people.

He is described to have a calm voice and generally a calming effect on others. In his free time he wears earrings.
  • His patronus is a lynx. What does this say about his personality?
  • His knowledge of muggles and comments on the Potterwatch: does this indicate he could be muggleborn or a special empathy or interest? Or is he simply more interested in muggles than most of the wizards seem to be (seeing him working for the Prime Ministers' protection as well)?
  • Do the qualities we've seen from him make him qualified for minister? Will he be a good one?
  • Will he be Minister permanently?
  • Was he the best choice?

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 28th, 2007 at 5:31 pm. Reason: Edited to add some more description and questions, thanks to guad!
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 5:42 pm
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Re: Kingsley Shacklebolt: Character Analysis

Oh my, I LOVED Kingsley in this book. I've always considered him the perfect leader, and he really did himself proud. He was out-and-out the best choice for Minister, and I hope he remained in the post for many a-year.

Part of the Care Bear gang!
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:12 am
Second Year

Will Kingsley be Minister permanently?
I think he will become a permanent minister.

Was he the best choice?
Without doubt. He's well liked, much better at dealing with muggles than Fudge and Scrimgeour- his stint as the muggle prime minister's protector probably went a very long way towards endearing him with the "muggle community"(the prime minister)- because there is going to need to be a lot of patching of relations, with all the muggle casualties. He's proven himself smart, that he can handle a tough job (he flawlessly had the ministry convinced that he was looking for Sirius Black for a year) and I think he'd be fair. He doesn't have the same prejudices and agendas the previous ministers had.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:48 am
Third Year

Well yeah he was the best choice. He was so cool and he seems like a powerful wizard.

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Qvack...

I think he will be Minister permanently, and rightly so.

Was he the best choice?

Yes, I think so.
I think Kingsley Shacklebolt displayed qualities far and away above standard of the other Ministers we have seen. I disregard Thicknesse because he was merely a puppet. Fudge was pitiful as a leader, consistently needing advice and restraint. Scrimgeour had trust issues and hated being out of the loop. Shacklebolt certainly shows leadership skills and power strong enough to prove himself as best choice. After all, he never gave up, as other leaders did.

THE DUCK.

Old July 26th, 2007, 2:03 am
Fourth Year

I think Kingsley is a natural born leader, and an excellent one! I truly hope he sees many, many more days as Minister of Magic. I sure can't think of any one who could do the job better.

Hermione jumped to her feet. She hadn't looked so excited since they'd gotten back the marks for their very first piece of homework.

The world isn't split
between good people
and death eaters,
we've all got both
light
and
dark
inside us.
Old July 26th, 2007, 5:00 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuousdream View Post
This thread is to discuss the character of Kingsley and his characterisation through DH.

Was he the best choice?
1. I think so. I also think he would insist on a popular vote election

2. He is for several reasons. He is a dark wizard figher. He has also built trust with the Muggle governement. He is also very hip and cool

PRICELESS

["I wish we could get our rings tomorrow...Unbelievable—no more going to Yankee Stadium and having to listen to '1918.'"
--Derek Lowe, Red Sox pitcher
Old July 26th, 2007, 5:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuousdream View Post
Was he the best choice?
Yes, I think he will be. He deserves it too!
Plus, I love the sound of his voice in my head.

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts”, “Hogwarts Staff Meeting” and “The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel)”: All by Inkwolf

Old July 26th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenielou View Post
Oh my, I LOVED Kingsley in this book. I've always considered him the perfect leader, and he really did himself proud. He was out-and-out the best choice for Minister, and I hope he remained in the post for many a-year.
Agree fullheartly! He was great. His warning at the wedding saved the life of many people. He was always calm, knowing when to act. He was part of the Potterwatch.

I think he was most likely Minister for many years

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old September 16th, 2007, 9:19 am
Lycanthrope

I agree with everyone. I thought Kingsley was the perfect choice - actually one of my predictions that came true. I thought he'd be great in that role even before DH because he was a very responsible warrior who fought for the cause and spied for the cause faithfully from GoF. He was a kind man as well and had a good amount of compassion for people, so he seemed like he would fit well as Minister - and of course those things made me feel he was a good leader. I was not surprised to see him keep up his job after DD died and through DH - he even had time to squeeze in Potterwatch and help out with the Order - setting himself up for exposure all the while.

And he wore an earring which was cool for Aurors - at least to me. A Dynamic character and altogether fun to read about.

Old September 16th, 2007, 11:28 am
Beauxbatons Champion

Will he be Minister permanently?

I really hope so!

Was he the best choice?

Most definitely. After a few years of the wizarding world being in complete disarray, Kinglsey's calm and collected attitude would have been the best attitude to have. Also, he understood what must be done to get the wizarding world back to its normal state.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 16th, 2007, 4:54 pm
I want to believe

His patronus is a lynx. What does this say about his personality?
I think it says that he's a very brave, fighter-type personality.

His knowledge of muggles and comments on the Potterwatch: does this indicate he could be muggleborn or a special empathy or interest? Or is he simply more interested in muggles than most of the wizards seem to be (seeing him working for the Prime Ministers' protection as well)?
It's possible, but there's really no evidence either way. I think he was just standing up against the prejudicial ideology that muggles are inferior to wizards. Kingsley seems like a very fair and tolerant individual, so even if he wasn't muggle-born or half-blood, it makes sense to me that he would stand up for muggles and muggle rights.

Do the qualities we've seen from him make him qualified for minister? Will he be a good one?
Yes to both questions. From what we've seen, Kingsley is an excellent leader. He's strong, brave, magically talented, and I believe he has a good strategic sense as well. He's not overly ambitious or power-hungry, which is a change from the previous leaders. I think he'll make an excellent Minister.

Well, I'm sure the wizarding world probably has a limit on the term of office for the Minister of Magic, so I'm guessing he'll be Minister for as long as legally possible.

Was he the best choice?
Definitely.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 18th, 2007, 9:31 am
Fifth Year

Yeah, I hope he's long term. I feel that if Harry is to be an Auror, he would work for Kingsley, not the MoM. So, when Kingsley retires, so would Harry....unless another member of the Order of the Phoenix, was to take his place!

Old September 23rd, 2007, 5:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I think it says that he's a very brave, fighter-type personality.

His knowledge of muggles and comments on the Potterwatch: does this indicate he could be muggleborn or a special empathy or interest? Or is he simply more interested in muggles than most of the wizards seem to be (seeing him working for the Prime Ministers' protection as well)?
It's possible, but there's really no evidence either way. I think he was just standing up against the prejudicial ideology that muggles are inferior to wizards. Kingsley seems like a very fair and tolerant individual, so even if he wasn't muggle-born or half-blood, it makes sense to me that he would stand up for muggles and muggle rights.

Do the qualities we've seen from him make him qualified for minister? Will he be a good one?
Yes to both questions. From what we've seen, Kingsley is an excellent leader. He's strong, brave, magically talented, and I believe he has a good strategic sense as well. He's not overly ambitious or power-hungry, which is a change from the previous leaders. I think he'll make an excellent Minister.

Well, I'm sure the wizarding world probably has a limit on the term of office for the Minister of Magic, so I'm guessing he'll be Minister for as long as legally possible.

Was he the best choice?
Definitely.
I should point out that here is no limit that a prime minister can serve in Britain, so there is no reason that Kingsley couldn't have continued indefinately.

Old October 1st, 2007, 4:30 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry10 View Post
I should point out that here is no limit that a prime minister can serve in Britain, so there is no reason that Kingsley couldn't have continued indefinately.
I would agree. Not only was he a great candidate for Minister having shown his loyaty to the cause and their principles, but he was dedicated and dilligent in his actions. I think he will serve for most of his life - and in Wizard years that is a long long time.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

First off... I love this character. He is so cool and calm, yet firece and talented.

I don't know much about lynxes, but when I think of any large cat I think of a fierceness that is more protecting than anything. I think that sums up Shacklebolt pretty well, he was a great protector (in fact that is what he did for the Muggle Prime Minister). But Wikki says that they are "shy" and "solitaire" in nature. It is rare to even see one because they don't go around people much. I like this most because it reminds me of a stealth like person that would be in the military or FBI (MI6).

Lynx (mythology) Wiki
The Lynx is an elusive, ghost-like animal that sees without being seen. Often called "the keeper of secrets of the forest", its magical appearance stems from the mystery that such a creature's secrecy can also be its strength.

I think this sounds a lot like Kingsly's character in that he is very secretive in his work for the ministry and for the Order. I also feel like his is very stealth like and elusive in the way he fights and protects.

Here is another interesting part I found:
Lynx (mythology) Wikki
On the other hand, the lynx may be an omen to warn those who have somehow betrayed the confidentiality of oneself or others.

hmm...The warning at the Burrow that the Ministry has fallen and the DE's were on the way anyone?

Here are the two links if anyone wants to read further
Lynx (mythology)
Lynx

Hmmm, I haven't considered that he could have been Muggleborn, I suppose it is possible. But, it could be that he was just that educated in things of Muggles. Plus he was friends with Arthur Weasley ().

Absolutely and Absolutely.

I don't think permanently, I mean he will die at some point. But, I think he would have been in good standing as Minister for a very long time .

Was he the best choice?

Honestly, I really would have liked to see Arthur as Minister. I think he had all the qualities to be a great Minister and it would have been nice to see him take that position.
But I am really happy that it was Shacklebolt. He is a great character and perfect fit.

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:09 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

I thought Kingsley was an excellent choice for Minister. His calm demeaner was probably exactly what the wizarding world needed following Voldemort's downfall. Additionally, he was already known to the muggle minister(s), so no new introductions were needed. He knew how to work the system in the "correct" way, IMO - I don't think he'd stand for the bag-of-galleons style of politicking so common under previous regimes.

In terms of his actions during DH, I think he was an important leader of the resistance movement. He warned the Weasley wedding party in time, and he was an important part of getting Harry to the Weasley's safely. He was able to evade Voldemort for a time after Voldemort himself came after them in the escape from 4 Privet Drive, too.

I like Kingsley a lot . For someone we see little of, he inspired confidance and had a strong sense of "competance" surrounding him .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:15 am
The Godfather

In most of the narrative, with Fudge, Scrimgeour and Thicknesse as Minister, the Aurors that are presented seem pretty tame, and sometimes unqualified. We learn what it takes to be an Auror when Harry expresses an interest. Then we get to who would seem to be downright kick butt examples of Aurors.

None shine more than Kingsley, who is able, intimidating, competent, confident and fierce. He becomes the personification of what we expected out of the Office of Aurors (not like poor Dawlish, who can't seem to catch a break, even getting dinged by Neville's Gran).

Personally, I don't think he remains as Minister. He accepts the interim or temporary title because there is a dire emergency, but the man is an Auror, he's a field man, not a politician and I think he'd eschew the office and power to be true to himself.

Here's a thought, how about Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts? If the position is no longer jinxed, he'd be AWESOME at that job.

Thanks to cybobbie for the awesome sig pic!
Thanks to the best fanclub in the world!

My Fanfics:
A History of Magic: Part II - Beyond the Epilogue
Teddy Lupin and the Legacy of the Marauders ; A History of Magic: The Harry Potter Era (on hiatus); You Are Cordially Invited... (First Attempt)
Old November 29th, 2007, 2:40 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAGator91 View Post
In most of the narrative, with Fudge, Scrimgeour and Thicknesse as Minister, the Aurors that are presented seem pretty tame, and sometimes unqualified. We learn what it takes to be an Auror when Harry expresses an interest. Then we get to who would seem to be downright kick butt examples of Aurors.

None shine more than Kingsley, who is able, intimidating, competent, confident and fierce. He becomes the personification of what we expected out of the Office of Aurors (not like poor Dawlish, who can't seem to catch a break, even getting dinged by Neville's Gran).

Personally, I don't think he remains as Minister. He accepts the interim or temporary title because there is a dire emergency, but the man is an Auror, he's a field man, not a politician and I think he'd eschew the office and power to be true to himself.

Here's a thought, how about Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts? If the position is no longer jinxed, he'd be AWESOME at that job.
Actually, JKR said he went on to be permanent Minister. I guess he grew into the task - he did seem good in the field.

Old November 29th, 2007, 2:58 am
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAGator91
Maybe he's a better permanent minister because he isn't a politician. I can imagine the damage done by the Death Eaters & Co. would be hard to undo, and politics wouldn't be the easiest medium in which to undo it.

Kingsley is definitely the guy to go to in an emergency. Keeping his cool like he does is a good thing. Mad-Eye was known as a good Auror and he seemed to be able to do the same thing, even through his (understandable) paranoia.

It would be cool to see what he's like when he "turns it off" and is just a person instead of an Auror or Order Member. His Character isn't really major enough to do that though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies