Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Peeves: Character Analysis

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:34 pm
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat

Peeves: Character Analysis

"We did it, we banished them, wee Potter's the One,
And Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let's have fun!"

Peeves has lived up to his name all through the books, but I felt it was very touching how he came to aid, including how McGonagall called him! I think she quite likes him!

I also found it touching in this rhyme how he says "we" - everyone unified. I think Peeves' character shone through in DH.

Why do you think he helped? Was it because he was "good?" Was it because his home was under threat? Was it just an excuse to cause trouble?

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:38 pm
Genius Loci

Re: Peeves: Character Analysis

"Voldy's gone mouldy" is going to be the stuff of icons and avatars for years to come! I hope they keep it in the movie. That's all I can say!

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:39 pm
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat

I still think Jo put the "Voldy" bit in as a nod to fans who called Voldemort 'Voldy' and she requested they stopped it because it wasn't 'befitting,' or something along those lines! [/offtopic]

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:53 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuousdream View Post
I still think Jo put the "Voldy" bit in as a nod to fans who called Voldemort 'Voldy' and she requested they stopped it because it wasn't 'befitting,' or something along those lines! [/offtopic]

That's EXACTLY what I thought - she put that in there as an "Ok! You guys can call him Voldy now that's he's dead, I guess."

Peeves just loves mischief. He's not one for actually hurting anyone. I think he does have a certain admiration for the teacher's too and of course he's going to defend his home!

Snape Article
My Art
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:34 am
Knower of things

Of all the characters, you've got to say that Peeves is the one with the best rhymes!

Voldy's gone Mouldy is a classic.

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:56 am
First Year

He'll love doing pranks on others, and in the process defend his home... why not?

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:17 pm
First Year

I love his character.. I really miss him in movies

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:42 pm
Second Year

No one mentioned it, so I shall add another few points:

-While it seems that Peeves dosen't have any preference for a house/student, there is one exception: Fred and George. Why do you think Peeves has chosen, from all the students in Hogwarts, to obey to the twins? Because he sees himself in them? Because they liked him more than others and treated him nicely (think of it, I never remember seeing the twins shoo Peeves or express any anger at him)?

-JK said that Peeves is still in the castle because Dumbledore's "can't get him out". What is that about Peeves that just - comes with the castle? Why does he choose to stick to the place so badly?

-Peeves always obeyed one character only - Bloody Baron. What do you think has set the Baron apart from the others? Why him and not somebody else?

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:24 pm
First Year

Peeves is by far the best character...hes amazing, his little comments make the book humorous at a time when there has been a catastrophe, e.g. such as Oh Potter you rotter...(in Chamber of Secrets)
He adds that humorous spark to awkward situations

Old July 25th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Second Year

Why do you think he helped? Was it because he was "good?" Was it because his home was under threat? Was it just an excuse to cause trouble?

I think he helped because it was good pranking time; it's not often he's asked to prank by a teacher. He respects the teachers, grudgingly, and I don't think he'd like it if he no longer had a home. I don't think he did much pranking that year, with the Carrows.

-While it seems that Peeves dosen't have any preference for a house/student, there is one exception: Fred and George. Why do you think Peeves has chosen, from all the students in Hogwarts, to obey to the twins? Because he sees himself in them? Because they liked him more than others and treated him nicely (think of it, I never remember seeing the twins shoo Peeves or express any anger at him)?

I think he chose the twins because they have something in common; they're all mischief makers.

Old July 25th, 2007, 2:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGHPRW View Post
I think he chose the twins because they have something in common; they're all mischief makers.
do you think Fred would become a poltergeist too and join Peeves in the mischief making?

(should i be hanged for saying such a thing?)

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
"Voldy's gone mouldy" is going to be the stuff of icons and avatars for years to come! I hope they keep it in the movie. That's all I can say!
Sadly, there's no Peeves in the movies, they wrote him out
But I do think that sneaky poltergeist loves Hogwarts, even if he does hide in the armour and graffiti the walls. And he does have a soft corner for the twins, even if he used to bug them at times...not that I recall any instance of that.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:08 pm
Second Year

So, who's designing the "Voldy's gone mouldy" t-shirt?

I think he helped defend the castle because it was not only his home, but basically an open invitation from McGonagall herself to cause mayhem ~ a dream come true!

Peeves' respect for the twins seemed mutual. I can't recall an instance of Fred or George telling him to get lost, etc.

The lady believes: Dumbledore is, regrettably, deceased - confirmed by JKR 08-02-06 ; Snape is on the good side; Harry will survive Book 7; Draco is not a werewolf; R.A.B. is Regulus A. Black; Snape was at Spinner's End; Fawkes will return; Lily's big secret is ~ not a freakin' clue...

Family: The Wise and Enigmatic House of Dumbledore; High profile, highly respected, and quite, quite mad.Wand:10 1/2 inches, cedar and floo powder, a strange Gregorovitch combination. Rescue Mission: Harry, the leader. Fantastic Beast: Hippogriff; proud, respected, loved. Animagus: Fox. Personality: Severus Snape INTJ Marauder: Padfoot; loyal, protective, temperamental, wild. Marriages: Mrs. Cedric Diggory, Mrs. George Weasley, Mrs. Albus Dumbledore. 40% obsessed
Old July 28th, 2007, 7:11 pm
First Year

Peeves was a great character. I think when the school was under attack, and he fought to defend it, that says not only is he really good at heart, but also he supports Harry. He didn't try to turn Harry over to the Death Eaters or anything like that. I think he's always liked Harry, really, he's just teased him a bit.

Old August 24th, 2007, 8:40 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra View Post
Though Peeves likes chaos and general mayhem, I don't think he supports anything blantantly evil like Voldemort. For all his cheek, I don't think he really wants people to die or get seriously hurt. I think he helped because he was "good" in the sense that he wouldn't have wanted Voldemort to triumph, and because Hogwarts was being threatened. I too really liked Peeves' "Voldy gone moldy" line - it was probably his best line. And it came at a time where some comic relief was needed. So all in all, great contribution from Peeves in this book.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 24th, 2007, 9:06 pm
First Year

Peeves is just silly. Really, he isn't evil. I think he had a certain amount of respect for the castle which he called his home. I'm not so sure he was willing to obey McGonagall so much as he wanted to defend Hogwarts.

Old August 24th, 2007, 9:12 pm
First Year

Peeves didn't want anyone to be hurt by his antics, like dying (OK, burning their pants is a bit far, but...) and this time, he had permission! No Filch coming along to threaten him with the Bloody Baron, no shouts from McGonagall, he had permission! He wasn't going to just leave it there.

Harry looked at his mother.

"Stay close to me," he said quietly.
Old August 25th, 2007, 9:45 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, Peeves doesn't mind physical harm to the castle's inhabitants (burning pants, anyone ) but I do think he had felt something like affection for Hogwarts itself, and a grudging respect for McGonagall. And we know he isn't anti-student, he did take his hat off to Fred and George when they escaped Umbridge after all. He wouldn't have wanted the school to come under the control of the Death Eaters, and I'm sure McGonagall knew that- which was why she specifically sent for him when figuring out her battle plan.

Old August 26th, 2007, 2:54 am
First Year

I think that Peeves is generally good, but enjoys teasing the students. He seems like the kind of ghost to just do crazy things because school needs a little livening up.

Old August 26th, 2007, 4:41 am
Second Year

I personally found Peeves very annoying through most of the series and was disappointed that even Dumbledore was powerless to eject him. Then I began to warm to him in book 5, because the High Inquisitor was sooo terrible, that I began to enjoy Peeve's attempts to counteract her actions. By the end of DH, I had grown accustomed to him - sort of like the students who just put up with him and enjoyed the occasions when he raspberried the bad guys.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies