Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Peeves: Character Analysis

Old August 27th, 2007, 2:35 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Peeves: Character Analysis

I've always liked Peeves as a character. I'm sure he loves his home, he just thinks that it's dreary and needs a bit of humor and brightening up, in his own special way. He sees Hogwarts as his home and almost an entire character, it's unified, and he probably doesn't like how everyone is split into houses, he annoys everyone in the same way,lol. I think that he wanted to cause more trouble, but part of it was still that he loves his home.

I'm almost sure that McGonagol likes him. She's usually strict and uptight, but she still likes Peeves, I'm sure she liked the twins too. Sometimes, the people that annoy us the most are the ones we happen to like. I thought it was touching how she had Filch fetch Peeves, and it was soooooooo funny how she told Peeves in OoTP "It unscrews the other way." lol.

I loved the Voldy gone Moldy thing, People will be talking about that for years and years to come. There are already people who are calling Voldemort Moldyshorts and stuff like that, but to me, he'll always be ickle voldiekins, lol.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2007, 9:26 pm
First Year

Almost all of you are giving Peeves far too much credit.

Peeves just wants to cause chaos. He doesn't have altruistic motives such as defending Hogwarts and opposing the "bad guys".

The only reason he saluted Fred and George is because they asked him to do exactly what it is in his nature to do- to give people hell.

Old September 18th, 2007, 8:59 am
Fifth Year

It would be nice to know how and when, Peeves arrived at Hogwarts? As to his character, he's a necessary evil.......but in a nice way!

Old September 18th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Renegade

I liked Peeves. He was exactly what I envisioned a poltergeist to be. Jo did a great job with him. And his songs - !

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:44 pm
Second Year

I love Peeves!!

His song at the end of DH was amazing.

I also really liked him in OotP, when he followed Fred and George's orders directly. He was fully up for defending Hogwarts against Umbridge. Shows his loyalty to Hogwarts, no matter how much he likes to pester everyone within its walls.

and I couldn't help laughing when he said:

"Oh Potter, you rotter, oh what have you done?
You're killing off students, you think it's good fun"

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old November 16th, 2010, 4:05 pm
First Year

Do you think Peeves has a "drama" going on or is he just as shallow as he seems to be?

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:33 pm
First Year

I was quite sad when they cut Peeves out of the films. I always thought he added the much needed comic relief with his random songs.

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Peeves is a force that comes from the pent up energy of the students. He probably goes back to the founding days of the school. but how and why he listens to the Bloody Baron is strange.

Old November 25th, 2010, 1:26 pm
First Year

i think peeves is hilarious. although i won't be too fond of him if i were to meet him in person (or spirit should i say?).

Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:53 pm
First Year

I believe that the only reason Peeves obeys Fred and George is because they told him to create chaos.

His rhymes are all amazing:

"Looney, loopy Lupin! Looney, loopy Lupin!"

"Kicky, scratchy, tweaky, pokey, Stick your fingers up his nosey. Draw his cork and pull his earsies !!!"

"Oh Potter, you rotter. Oh what have you done? You're killing off students, you think its good fun."

"We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let's have fun!"

Made by SadiraSnape
We are Slytherin.

"The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible."
—Severus Snape

Pottermore: BludgerIce121
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:42 pm
Second Year

Peeves is very annoying.
He always shows up at the worst times, that causes even more chaos in the books (weird how he was in a grand total of 0 films...)

EXAMPLES: When Harry Ron and Hermione are trying to get to the Sorcerer's Stone chambers. He is conveniently right there.

He's there as soon as Harry finds Nick and Justin Finch-Fletchey petrified. He could have been petrified too! However, that would have been a good thing for most people in the castle.

When Harry is sneaking back from the Prefect's bathroom. Then, Snape and "Moody" show up. How absolutely inconvenient.

MCA, 1964-2012.
Do visit my My Immortal analysis: http://cwbpresentsmyimmortalanalysis.webs.com/
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:57 pm
First Year

I know Peeves is supposed to be annoying, but he's one of my favorite characters! I loved the part when Fred and George told him to "give her hell from us, Peeves." and he saluted.

Though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death,
I will
FEAR NO EVIL.
Psalm 23
Old August 3rd, 2011, 2:07 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast_ended View Post
While it seems that Peeves dosen't have any preference for a house/student, there is one exception: Fred and George. Why do you think Peeves has chosen, from all the students in Hogwarts, to obey to the twins?
I have a feeling the twins were kindred spirits of sorts. They liked chaos in certain situations; so did Peeves - in mostly every situation. I also think Peeves obeys anyone who tells him to do something "naughty" or something that causes chaos. So he'll obey you so long as you tell him to do something he wants to do.
Quote:
-Peeves always obeyed one character only - Bloody Baron. What do you think has set the Baron apart from the others? Why him and not somebody else?
It's probably because the Bloody Baron is described as being rather creepy. Perhaps in the past, the Bloody Baron could have been scarily angry with Peeves, and from then on, Peeves has always stayed clear of him.
Quote:
-JK said that Peeves is still in the castle because Dumbledore's "can't get him out". What is that about Peeves that just - comes with the castle? Why does he choose to stick to the place so badly?
Even though Peeves isn't technically a ghost, perhaps Hogwarts is the only place he enjoys "haunting". I think he feels at home there. I'm also not entirely sure Dumbledore would really have thrown Peeves out if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrhoad View Post
"We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let's have fun!"
That might be my favorite line/rhyme from Peeves.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:12 am
First Year

I'm sure that a Hogwarts controlled by death eaters would be no fun at all for Peeves, even if he chose to leave the castle if Harry was defeated it would be hard to find a place filled with so many easy targets for pranking that would put up with him for so long. Coupled with the fact that causing mayhem is EXACTLY what he loves to do, i think he would have been a force to be reckoned with in the battle. I dont think however that he would have changed much after the battle though, i like to imagine him carrying on as usual with him pranks straight away.

Pottermore Name= QueenEcho***
Pottermore Battalion
Old August 7th, 2011, 2:47 pm
First Year

-While it seems that Peeves dosen't have any preference for a house/student, there is one exception: Fred and George. Why do you think Peeves has chosen, from all the students in Hogwarts, to obey to the twins? Because he sees himself in them? Because they liked him more than others and treated him nicely (think of it, I never remember seeing the twins shoo Peeves or express any anger at him)?

I think he likes anyone who tries to cause as much chaos as he does, also I don't think he would have found it very hard to obey an order to give someone hell. It's not so much that he can't obey orders he just won't if it's something that interferes with his mischief making.

-JK said that Peeves is still in the castle because Dumbledore's "can't get him out". What is that about Peeves that just - comes with the castle? Why does he choose to stick to the place so badly?

It's possible that if he was made from the essence of all the pent up enrgy of the students then there would be nothing to stop the same kind of thing happening again after a while and maybe Dumbledore thinks its better the devil you know.

-Peeves always obeyed one character only - Bloody Baron. What do you think has set the Baron apart from the others? Why him and not somebody else?

I think in Peeves earlier he may not have had as much power as it appears he gets his power from pent up energy of the students so he was possibly much more manageable in the very early days and the Bloody Baron would have been around in those days. He was by all accounts a terrifying man in life and quite possibly intimidated a freshly made Peeves. I'm going to guess that seeing the Baron come back as a ghost scared the bejeebus out of Peeves leading to him only obeying him. (we know that Nick wasn't on the scene until the 14th century so wouldn't remember this happening).

I think as Peeves got stronger he obeyed the Baron out of habit- part of the fun about breaking rules and causing mayhem is the chance to get caught- it's what adds the exictment. If he had no restrictions and no-one to stop him when he got too far I don't think it would be as much fun for him.

I think also a part of Peeves knows that if he went too far the professors would find a way to get him out so having someone who can 'handle' him is a perfect way of him stopping when he goes too far without it looking like he wants to stop.(sorry for babbling sometimes I think too much)

I like to think Professor McGonagall has a bit of a soft spot for trouble makers, she seems to remember James and Sirius fondly along with the twins. Once again Peeves would have no isses obeying an order to cause mayhem upon the death eaters. I would imagine he had to behave himself while Snape and the Carrows were around at risk of explusion so he would have had loads of pent up energy to release.

Old August 7th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Second Year

Peeves finally grew on me. In the beginning when harry was sneaking around the castle at night I was like "Oh, I hope Peeves doesn't show up!" But after a few books I started to wish he showed up. Peeves plays an important role in the whole mystery while sneaking around a night, without him there would only be Filtch and lovely Miss Norris.

MidnightQuill
Old August 12th, 2011, 6:45 pm
First Year

Even though he sets peoples pants on fire is that so bad in a world where it can be healed in minutes? I think Peeves would be horrified to seriously permently injure someone and does what he does most of the time as it is expected of him. He must have a lonely life, everyone advoiding him and the twins might have befriended him early on.

Pottermore name: OakSkull40
Old October 12th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Fourth Year

While it seems that Peeves dosen't have any preference for a house/student, there is one exception: Fred and George. Why do you think Peeves has chosen, from all the students in Hogwarts, to obey to the twins? Because he sees himself in them? Because they liked him more than others and treated him nicely (think of it, I never remember seeing the twins shoo Peeves or express any anger at him)?

I don't think Peeves obeyed the twins, per se, more that he took their words as encouragement for what he already liked to do - cause chaos. For him, it seemed like Fred and George telling him to give Umbridge hell was an excuse to carry on doing what he did best.

I can't really see Peeves as having any sort of loyalty to anyone. He obeys and respects people who intimidate him (teachers, the Bloody Baron) but I don't think he could ever really have friends. He probably liked Fred and George because they caused trouble as well, but if he caught them sneaking around at night he'd be just as likely to tell on them as anyone else. I see Peeves as being very one-dimensional: he will annoy everyone and cause trouble but that's about it. Any sort of morals or loyalty go right over his head.

JK said that Peeves is still in the castle because Dumbledore's "can't get him out". What is that about Peeves that just - comes with the castle? Why does he choose to stick to the place so badly?

He might be magically tied to the castle somehow, not sure how that would work though. It's possible he just has no where else to go and there's nothing to stop him from coming back if Dumbledore did tell him to leave because he isn't solid, is he? I like merrymarge's idea that he's created from the pent up energy of the students

Peeves always obeyed one character only - Bloody Baron. What do you think has set the Baron apart from the others? Why him and not somebody else?

I think Peeves is just scared of him, and maybe the Bloody Baron has some sort of high position in the ghosts at Hogwarts and Peeves does seem to respect authority. Since they're both spirits would it be possible for the Bloody Baron to actually harm Peeves?

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old October 12th, 2011, 5:20 pm
Second Year

I think Peeves was always there, born out of all the angst and drama generated by the teenagers who live there. Or either he was attracted to these things, as his kind seem to be, and has become very strong due to these things, I think if Hogwarts were to close [as in forever] for some reason, if he stayed there, eventually he would weaken. I wonder if he depends on Hogwarts for his "life" such as it is?

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old October 12th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimeldaDursley View Post
I think Peeves was always there, born out of all the angst and drama generated by the teenagers who live there.
This is my theory as well.

I see Peeves as a poltergeist. One modern theory about poltergeists is that poltergeist activity usually occurs in places which have seen alot of violence and suffering, or around adolescents who are experiencing deep emotional turmoils. Hogwarts, anyone?

There's also the theory that, while a ghost can't necessarily interact with the physical world in such a way as to cause physical danger, a poltergeist can. Remember all the havoc Peeves created for Umbridge? We don't see the ghosts doing anything even close to what Peeves did.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies