Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Aberforth Dumbledore: Character Analysis

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Second Year

Aberforth Dumbledore: Character Analysis

what do you think of the relevation of Aberforth Dumbledore as a character? its the first time we're really meeting him....any notable similarities to Albus DD? except physical ones? Do you actually feel Aberforth was "saner" than Albus? (reference to Ariana..and the circumstances of her death)..why do you think he never revealed himself in Hog's head? why wasn't he a part of the Order of the Pheonix?
discuss everything related to your opinion and doubts about Aberforth in here

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:07 pm
Second Year

Re: Aberforth Dumbledore

I really liked Aberforth! He really showed that Albus really was human and had ambitions when he was younger.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Aberforth was a member of the Order, but not quite so active. I don't think he identified himself at the Hog's Head because he never really needed to in terms of plot.

As to whether he was saner than Albus, I think so in some ways. But lets not forget that incident with the goats

Because we love our Vegemite!
We all adore our Vegemite!
It puts a rose on every cheek!
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:13 pm
Master Seer

heck, here's a character I love. We don't get to see much of him, but what we see is such a brilliant and psychologically convincing sketch of a character. He's grumpy and lacks everything that could be called 'charming', but he's got his heart in the right place, and in the midst of all his cynicism and facing hopelessness, he does everything in his power to do the right thing. I actually prefer that from his brother's brand of greatness. Aberforth is the more credibly human character (although Albus improved in my eyes in DH - a human being, at last, suffering from the same conditio humana as the rest of us, too)

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:13 pm
First Year

lol, you know I always hoped that there wasn't an eewwwww factor with the inappropriate charms on the goats, but now that his patronus is definitely a goat, I concede defeat lol.

I liked him. He was not as 'for the greater good' as Albus, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. He still got in the thick of things. I think he was a lot cleverer than people gave him credit for, and I think this may have been deliberate on Albus' part.

Nobody would've felt threatened by the old bar-tender of The Hogs Head. Even if they (Death Eaters etc) found out he was Aberforth, Albus was saying that he wasnt even sure he could read. I find that unlikely.

Like muggles, and house elves, centaurs etc, he would have been passed over as inconsequential.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:23 pm
First Year

Aberforth was a pretty striking character, and helped reveal a much more tangible side of the saintly Albus. At first, you'd think that Aberforth would be the more morally inclined of the brothers.. we witnessed his devotion to his sister and felt his pain as his family was torn apart, and saw his "very human" reaction of punching Albus at Ariana's funeral.

However, we also see why Albus may be so much greater than his brother actually is/became. In the Fight of Hogwarts, Aberforth comments to Harry that they should have kept Slytherin students prisoner to blackmail the Death Eaters, and Harry quickly responds that "Your brother wouldn't have done that."

I think this comment serves even more to rectify the wrongs in Albus' youth. Which is really Aberforth's place in the novel.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:34 pm
Fifth Year

I liked him and I was glad that he helped Harry so much. One thing I wonder, though...when Ron asked if he had sent the doe, why did he not know the doe was Snape's Patronus? Didn't all the members of the order communicate via patronus? I guess maybe he never had the occasion to communicate with Snape that way. Anyway, overall, I liked Aberforth, but I still prefer Albus.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravclawprefec View Post
I liked him and I was glad that he helped Harry so much. One thing I wonder, though...when Ron asked if he had sent the doe, why did he not know the doe was Snape's Patronus? Didn't all the members of the order communicate via patronus? I guess maybe he never had the occasion to communicate with Snape that way. Anyway, overall, I liked Aberforth, but I still prefer Albus.
I don't think many people ever saw Snape's patronus.. its something he wouldn't have really shown off, and he wasn't too keen on making highly visible contact with the Order under Voldemort's watch.

Even Dumbledore was "surprised" as to the form of Snape's patronus.. although I don't think much ever really surprised him.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:48 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravclawprefec View Post

Another factor as to why he would not have seen the patronus is stated in book 5. Moody shows Harry the picture of the order and says that that was the only time he met Aberforth...

I do like Aberforth. He is uncouth, unambitious but with love. Dumbledore is for everyone and the greater good. But that also makes him slightly detached and withholding. Aberforth is more a heart-on-his-sleeve sort of guy. He cares for those close to him.

I would like to know more about the goats... A treat for Ariana, when she was calm, was to go and feed them...

Member of the Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin Society

As a gryffindor female I have the right to sneak into Remus Lupin's old dorm and cuddle up in his old bed... With lots and lots of Chocolate... And a woolly cardy.. alas only one thing missing...

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:41 pm
First Year

I liked him! I'm glad we finally got to know more about him, and he seems interesting enough a character. It was brilliant how he saved them from death eaters, and his patronus is a goat! that was so funny.

I thought he was actually more down to earth than his brother. Albus always craved for something bigger, better, and Aberforth was more dedicated to his family. Albus was very powerful magically, but Aberforth seemed to me more... realistic, in a good way. Although he pretty much gave up on the Order, he was still a good person, and helped most he could. He was refreshing, not a completely new character, but still new, because we learned so much more about him. And I loved how he still has the portrait of his sister on the wall.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Second Year

Aberforth seemed like an actual person, he didnt look like a proper wizard at all, given that he's a bartender, I would have thought that he would have at least some magical advice for Harry. Still, Aberforth did display and show that the House of Dumbledore is much more rich than anybody else thought.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:51 pm
Registered Animagus

I liked Aberforth. He seemed very down to earth.

I think he kept aloof from Albus because he still blamed Albus for Ariana's death. That was quite a story, and only Harry knew the end of it because he heard Albus' anguish after drinking the potion. I'd like to think that after Harry told Aberforth the truth about that night, he would have forgiven Albus eventually.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Sixth Year

I loved him. I thought he was a great addition to the story - and it was interesting to hear his feelings about his brother.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Seventh Year

i thought he was great, but i felt a bit irritated with him for giving up on the order and everything, and believing that voldemort couldn't be stopped or something like that

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:03 pm
Third Year

The Hogs Head Bar, who would have thought that those rumors were true. Yikes! and then there was the hair. I thought that he was in trouble with the Wizengomet? I was also under the impression that he was downright crazy. I didnt think that he was a loving brother and basically a functional human being.

I learned however who he was exactly, but i still dont understand why would he care if so many kids were being ushered out of Hogwarts thru to his bar?
-wouldnt he be helping the children that his brother tryed so hard to protect
-He would be honored by all the parents for helping their children escape

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:09 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think Aberforth was another character who seemed "real". The estrangement I had suspected between him and Albus was true (I had suspected that they weren't the best of friends, but cordial), and he seemed more pragmatic than the somewhat idealistic Albus.
In the end, he did just enough to save the day, and the DE's still didn't suspect that he was Albus' brother, or else they would have known the Hog's Head was the place to raid to shut off the flow of resistance fighters into Hogwarts.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:12 pm
Third Year

I think we all knew the barman was Aberforth, but how did Neville and everyone else find out? And how was Percy in touch with him? I wondered about that.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:12 pm
Arithmancer

Oh I really liked Aberforth. Nothing like I thought he was going to be when introduced. I was thinking he was going to be grumpier than he was and maybe a little more like Albus. I really liked how different he was from Albus. I didn't see any similarties besides their physical looks.

Oh yeah and I figured that Aberforth was the barman at the Hog's Head.

Last edited by stunnedtina; July 24th, 2007 at 4:18 pm.
Old July 25th, 2007, 1:53 pm
Second Year

yeah Aberforth was one striking charachter in DH, and I wish he had been introduced a bit while earlier...but I absolutley LOVE his grumpiness...irritation...and honesty!

Old July 25th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Qvack...

I think he was a fantastic addition to the book. He was grumpy, irritable and frank to the point of cruelty. As a once member of the order of the phoenix, I don't think he ever forgot his righteousness and so he helped Neville when help was needed. Without him, things may have taken a turn for the worse. I also think it's funny how nobody's ever brought up the line where Dumbledore flippantly mentions being " just friendly with the local barmen".

Aberforth is the kind of anti hero the story saw in droves, but he also added so much to the Dumbledore family, and showed perhaps some of it's darker oppressive side, that he was a great, striking addition.

THE DUCK.

Old July 25th, 2007, 2:50 pm
Third Year

Aberforth's part in DH was brilliant! To me, he is much more outspoken than DD. Plus, I died laughing when told the DEs that is patronus was a goat.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies