Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film

Old July 18th, 2011, 3:45 pm
First Year

Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I did enjoy the movie and I know I need to see it again to fully appreciate everything but I have some major issues with the film (most has already been said by others).

1.) I absolutely do not understand why there was no celebration after Voldemort was killed. This is almost unforgiveable to me. I mean, I was annoyed in Half-Blood Prince with the added scene of the burrow burning but at least I could say "okay, the film makers wanted to add some drama, pacing, etc.". But this decision to end the film this way is baffling to me. It actually dropped my rating of the film from "excellent" to just "pretty good". The ending was unsettling, unsatisfying, and disappointing to me.

2.) The duel between Voldemort and Harry was also unsatisfactory. I know they needed to "spice things up" for the movie but I hated hated hated the way Harry pulled Voldemort off the cliff and the subsequent "faces merging thing". Perhaps I am being too much of a book purist but I just think the way it happened in the book was so much better. Harry being confident and in control and telling Voldemort just how things are. I've heard people say this confrontation is anticlimatic which I do not understand. Harry just spent the last year hunting and destroying horcruxes which can be considered part of the battle to kill Voldemort.

3.) Not enough battle. The battle scenes were great but there were too few. I am not a big action person (for example, I actually get kind of bored in Lord of the Rings because I feel like the battles drag on and on) but there was simply not enough duels! I think it would have been fantastic to see more of the Weasleys as well as the Order fighting.

4.) Way too much humor. Granted I did see the movie at midnight and the theater was packed but everyone was laughing at everything, even stuff that I don't think was supposed to be funny (example, when Voldemort is celebrating and does his little "dance" sort of thing). I noticed when I saw HBP in the theater at midnight, everyone was laughing so hard but when I saw it a few days later with less people, there was much less laughter. The reason I bring this up is I think I need to see it again with a different group of people that won't be laughing at inappropriate moments.

I do have a few more minor squabbles (the Draco/Voldemort hug, Bellatrix shattering, the Ron/Hermione kiss, King's Cross) but the ones above that I listed I just can't seem to get over.

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2011, 4:43 pm
Second Year

The epilogue to me was terrible. It looked like they were sending their kids off to be executed. The first time harry went to the station, there was excitement etc. I mean, Voldemort has been dead for 19 years for goodness sake, he's not headmaster of Hogwarts!!!

I also hated the way Ron was excluded with the last shot. I mean, I know he was there, but it looked more like the 'Hermione and Harry Show' with Ron as an extra in the background. They did that in HBP as well and I hated it!

Old July 18th, 2011, 5:00 pm
First Year

The last book did talk about Snape jumping out a window and turning into a bat ...during the battle with McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout..

Old July 18th, 2011, 5:36 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorWooton View Post
It bothered me how they changed Snape's last words, and pretty much his whole death part.
Hmm, I liked how they added, 'you have your mother's eyes.' I think that said so much in those 5 words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
For some reason, I was kind of peeved that they didn't include Pettigrews death.
Me too - they should have just had him strangle himself in Part 1. It was a needless deviation from the book. And then when Harry tried to help Pettigrew it would have matched nicely with him consoling Snape in Part 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
A few other things after thinking about the film: Harry not fixing his wand and not burying it with Dumbledore.
Right, because I always liked that another generation could have hunted for Hallows. Just leaving the possibility open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erisa View Post
I didn't like that no one was there to witness Voldemort's death and that he evaporated instead of dropping dead. How does the wizarding community know he's really gone? Everyone thought he was dead the first time he failed to kill Harry and he still came back later.
Right? He simply vanished the first time and came back, so what tells us he's gone forever now. That along with they made efforts to make Voldie more and more human throughout the movie -like the creepy Draco hug, and even him seeming to gain weight, and just looking like an older man - and then they don't leave a human, mortal body behind. I just can't get over that.

Old July 18th, 2011, 5:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leverystrange View Post
The epilogue to me was terrible. It looked like they were sending their kids off to be executed. The first time harry went to the station, there was excitement etc. I mean, Voldemort has been dead for 19 years for goodness sake, he's not headmaster of Hogwarts!!!

I also hated the way Ron was excluded with the last shot. I mean, I know he was there, but it looked more like the 'Hermione and Harry Show' with Ron as an extra in the background. They did that in HBP as well and I hated it!

I'm not sure I understand you here. I thought the kids looked excited and like they were having fun. I felt like Ron was in the shot also. He is third back, but he nearly always is. He seemed equally in the shot though, not like HPB where he is way back there.

Old July 18th, 2011, 5:59 pm
Third Year

I wish in the final scene with Harry and Voldemort that we would have gotten some of the book dialogue. I was hoping for Harry to ask Voldemort if he had felt any remorse. I think the scene was over too quickly.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old July 18th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvans13060 View Post

4. 19 Years Later - After Harry tells James about the Sorting Hat taking the student's choice into account, I was waiting for him to say, "It did for me." Minor thing, but it would have showed quite the connection between Harry and his son. Plus no one paying attention to Harry at King's Cross. Everyone is supposed to be staring at him and Ron says, "It's because I'm famous." Would have been nice to have one last laugh thanks to Ron at the end of the movie. And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?

On my second viewing he does have the scar. But it is very faded.

Old July 18th, 2011, 6:36 pm
First Year

When Fred and George are on the parapet and he says 'Are you ok Freddie?' George has two ears

Old July 18th, 2011, 7:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabixsarang View Post
When Fred and George are on the parapet and he says 'Are you ok Freddie?' George has two ears
I noticed this as well, but then I went back to part 1 to check. When George lost his ear in part 1, he only sort of lost the upper part of the ear, in the books his whole ear is basically lost. George's hair was covering the upper part of the ear I'd say.

MidnightQuill
Old July 18th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I'm not sure I understand you here. I thought the kids looked excited and like they were having fun. I felt like Ron was in the shot also. He is third back, but he nearly always is. He seemed equally in the shot though, not like HPB where he is way back there.
Hmmm... I don't know, maybe I need to watch it again (I wasn't feeling too well yesterday). I guess I always feel like Ron's left out in the movies. I would have preferred it if Hermione stood holding him or something. To me it looked like she had left Ron behind and was standing with Harry. But, like I said, maybe I just need to watch it again.

Yeah, the kids seemed excited, but the parents not so much... like I said, it almost looked like they were sending them away to their execution. Okay, not that I'd expect the parents to be jumping for joy when they send their kids away (although, I'm sure some would ) I just felt it was a little sad, it wasn't their first cjild they were sending off and wasn't going to be their last. My parents weren't as sad when they dropped us off at the station at the beginning of term.

Last edited by leverystrange; July 18th, 2011 at 7:36 pm.
Old July 18th, 2011, 8:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potion View Post
I noticed this as well, but then I went back to part 1 to check. When George lost his ear in part 1, he only sort of lost the upper part of the ear, in the books his whole ear is basically lost. George's hair was covering the upper part of the ear I'd say.
ah thank you I'm glad it wasn't just me who saw it lol.

Old July 18th, 2011, 9:24 pm
First Year

Though there were several deviations from the book, such that they would leave the non-reading movie-goer scratching their head in confusion, I was bothered most by the final confrontation.

Since the beginning, Voldy has touted his superiority over Harry. He's always believed he was above to the rest of the wizarding class, deserving of the title "Lord", and clever in his plans to secretly protect his immortality.

For me, the most satisfying aspect of the book's conclusion is the moments in the end where Voldy realized he was wrong, that he'd been bested, that he wasn't as clever as he'd thought, small and pitiable, and that a teenager he perceived as ordinary has outmaneuvered him. I believe this was more devastating than his physical death (though it's obvious he feared his own death greatly, much more than Harry). Furthermore, coming to this realization before all of his enemies added to the deflation.

Unfortunately, in the movie, Voldy only seems confused at what's happening, ignorant of why he's failed, just before he turns into confetti. We didn't see him put in his place, just done away with. That left me unsatisfied and disappointed.

On a side note, the Malfoy hug caused chuckles and giggles in my theatre (Saw it at the 3D IMAX at Universal Orlando; lots of children with their HP merchandise they'd just bought at the park). It seemed out of place and awkward.

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:04 pm
First Year

I agree with many people's points here, but in a few spots, the changes from the book were appropriate and worked well. It is frustrating though that so many changes seem to be without an explanation though, that the book version would have been more cinematic than the screen version.

Changes that worked:

1. Harry saying goodbye to Hermione and Ron; it allowed him to voice his choice to die so the audience could hear it and without his thoughts explaining why, it would have seemed strange for Harry not to say goodbye to his friends. But, yes, Ron not saying goodbye with a bear-hug seemed strange....
2. Snapping the wand- actually, it makes more sense than putting it back with Dumbledore. But yes, I also wanted him to mend his old wand.

As for the other changes, I found them to be questionable but I still enjoyed the movie for what it is- something different than the book. But that being said, why couldn't you have a more movie -friendly Voldy-Harry battle and still have Harry have the conversation, still talk to Voldy? And, of course, you still could have the crowd gathered in the courtyard.

And could there be a more cinema friendly scene than Neville, the sorting hat and Nagini? The way Ron and Hermione hunt him now seemed totally unnecessary and pointless.

And I actually thought the epilogue was well done- the girls somehow didn't age but Harry and Ron looked decent and it was touching to see life go on; I know everyone I saw the movie with hadn't read the books and they very much liked the ending.
I'll post some other thoughts later...

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:34 pm
First Year

When Harry mentioned Lupin's son to him in the Forest...this line and Lupin's response is so emotional in the book, and yet in DH1 they never mentioned he had a son! I was glad that they kept the line in, to give some recognition to Lupin being there, but talk about confusing for non-book readers! It would have been better I think to give Harry/Lupin a non canon dialogue instead if they didn't want to include his son in the story.

"For him?” shouted Snape. “Expecto Patronum!” From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe: She landed on the office floor, bounded once across the office, and soared out of the window. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears. “After all this time?” “Always,” said Snape.

Pottermore - PhoenixFirebolt52
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:37 pm
Seventh Year

I didn't like the screaming after Voldemort first began speaking to everyone. I believe it was in the book, but I still thought it was annoying.

I wish we could have seen Neville and Professor Sprout fighting, using plants.

I wanted to see Madame Trewlaney hit Fenrir Greyback with the crystal ball when he attacked Lavender.

I wanted to see Peeves create havoc, and hear his "Voldy is moldy" song.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:40 pm
First Year

The deaths of Lupin, Tonks and Fred. Just merely glimpsed over. That could have been an absolute heartbreaker in the film which would have captured the hearts of even the non-book readers.

Also is there gunna be an extended version of this?

if so I think thats where the (minor) characters' scenes come into play.

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Second Year

Loved the Harry/Voldemort duel I just wish that when they had landed in the great hall instead of the courtyard and then before recommencing the attack have the exchange of words that explains how Harry is still alive and how Voldy is seconds from finally dying!

Last edited by AMAC; July 18th, 2011 at 10:52 pm.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:09 pm
First Year

I know that the Harry/Voldemort monologues at the battle wouldn't have been very "movie-ish" but I feel like they could have at least have had Harry say that Snape was Dumbledore's and that he was the master of the Elder wand. That's would take like 30 seconds...
and I completely hated flaking away Voldemort. I mean really, did he need dandruff shampoo of something?! In the book I thought it was really cool how he just died like anyone else because it showed he was completely human once again.

One of my favorite things about the book was that when McGonigal said anyone who didn't want to fight could be evacuated, so many people stayed. It showed the students' real loyalty to Hogwarts and eachother. That's actually probably what I was most disappointed about.

And finally, HARRY'S WAND!! When he snapped the Elder Wand without fixing his I literally wanted to get up and scream at him!!

Anyway, the movie was still amazing My friends and I were the freaks having duels in the lobby before it started. Pretty awesome.

And of course, WHY DID GEORGE HAVE AN EAR?!

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:40 am
Second Year

I was a bit annoyed with the battle between Snape and McGonagall, changing up Nagini being killed, and how Harry just snapped the Elder Wand at the end. I was really hoping the film would show him repairing his original wand. That aside, I still loved the movie. But of course, like all previous movies, they deviated a bit from the book. However, these novels are difficult to translate to the screen directly.

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:46 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndCredits View Post
The deaths of Lupin, Tonks and Fred. Just merely glimpsed over. That could have been an absolute heartbreaker in the film which would have captured the hearts of even the non-book readers.

Also is there gunna be an extended version of this?

if so I think thats where the (minor) characters' scenes come into play.
But isn't Tonks and Lupin's death kinda supposed to get merely glimpsed over? In the book, Harry just catches the sight of them lying in the Great Hall. I liked that they held hands, that was so cute.

And yes, I would love for some more minor characters in the EV! (If there's going to be any)

Blondes have more fun! The Jackson KS300 Lovegood special: Only $499!
(Also known as the Lunatar ^^)

Do not read my fanfic "Bannister Sparke and the Peverell Penultiman Conspiracy"
Try
Xenophilius Lovegood: A Life instead
TRIVIUM !! <3
PS: Tom Marvolo Riddle anagrams into "I am Lord Voldemort", but also "Odd immortal lover"
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies