Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What would you change about the films?

Old April 20th, 2012, 9:52 pm
Banned

Re: What would you change about the films?

What would I change about the films, hmmm.
Well I would start with the screenwriter/s, then the directors. How about the production team, yeah, they could go. Some of the actors, I'd try real hard and get young people to play the young parts, you know like Lily, James, Remus, Lupin, Snape, Julie Walters is great but I'd try and get someone in their late 30's not their late fifties. The others should be in their late 20's, in the case of Lily and James they should really be in their very early 20's. I'd keep Evanna Lynch for sure, but I think I'd do a serious overhaul on all the actors and try to get some who can both act and look the part. Then I'd get a special effects team that could read the books and try to replicate in some kind of fashion what the spells in the books should look like on screen. Speaking of on screen I'd try and get a lighting man that remembered to pay the electricity bill so the audience could see what was happening. I'd also hire a supervisor to make sure the new screenwriters read the books and not fan fiction. I'd keep the sets and props, but I'd get a costume designer that could actually design some costumes instead of stopping off at the nearest GAP shop. Yeah, I'd do a complete overhaul. I don't know if I could do better but I could hardly do worse.

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2012, 4:48 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by susimuggle View Post
I've always wanted to say this, but not sure if many people feel the same. Richard Harris was amazing. He was exactly how I imagined Dumbledore. I would have replaced Michael Gambon (who is otherwise a brilliant actor) with somebody different. Dumbledore is pretty laid back and relaxed. Michael Gambon portrayed him in such a hyper and flustery way and he speaks way too fast and too loudly. I actually think Alan Rickman could have made a brilliant Dumbledore, cos he has this quiet calm aura about him, (and the perfect nose), even though he might have been a wee bit too young.
Oh, I definitely feel the same way. I loved Harris as Dumbledore, he suited the part so well. I love Michael Gambon as an actor. He is brilliant in the role of George V in King's Speech and as Cazran in Doctor who and other roles. As Dumbledore, I never really felt he fit the part. Too abrasive, too stern. He seemed like he yelled a lot and lacked that calm and in control aura of Dumbledore. Not just in "DIDYA PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIYER HARRY!!" but in general. I'm not sure who else I'd pick. Ian McKeller is good as Gandalf, but that would be a bit too typecast, and the jokes about Gandalbus were running wild before the second Dumbledore was cast.

Old April 21st, 2012, 6:36 pm
First Year

I don't think I would change any of it really. I love all the actors, they were chosen well. But
Spoiler: show
I would want to change Snapes death... even if it may be in the book

Old April 21st, 2012, 8:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I've always wanted to say this, but not sure if many people feel the same. Richard Harris was amazing. He was exactly how I imagined Dumbledore. I would have replaced Michael Gambon (who is otherwise a brilliant actor) with somebody different. Dumbledore is pretty laid back and relaxed. Michael Gambon portrayed him in such a hyper and flustery way and he speaks way too fast and too loudly. I actually think Alan Rickman could have made a brilliant Dumbledore, cos he has this quiet calm aura about him, (and the perfect nose), even though he might have been a wee bit too young.
Interesting, I'd never thought of Rickman as Dumbledore. Of course AR would never have been offered the part (instead of Snape) since he only plays bad guys . . .[sarcasm]

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:42 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
And more importantly, if Alan Rickman was cast as Dumbledore, who could have possibly played Snape as well as Rickman did?

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 22nd, 2012, 1:07 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
And more importantly, if Alan Rickman was cast as Dumbledore, who could have possibly played Snape as well as Rickman did?
No one IMO!

Tim Roth did say he would have portrayed Snape entirely differently. I'm not sure I would have liked that Snape nearly as well as AR's!!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old April 22nd, 2012, 3:16 am
Sixth Year

Tim Roth might've portrayed Snape closer to the book version, much more unpleasant than Alan Rickman's version.

Hmmm...what about Patrick Stewart as Dumbledore?

Old April 22nd, 2012, 4:00 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Tim Roth might've portrayed Snape closer to the book version, much more unpleasant than Alan Rickman's version.

Hmmm...what about Patrick Stewart as Dumbledore?
Possibly, though that was entirely dependent on Steve Kloves. We definitely wouldn't have had the buttoned up Snape as AR's taken credit for the costume.

I'm having difficulty imagining Patrick Stewart with hair!!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old April 22nd, 2012, 5:01 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Possibly, though that was entirely dependent on Steve Kloves. We definitely wouldn't have had the buttoned up Snape as AR's taken credit for the costume.

I'm having difficulty imagining Patrick Stewart with hair!!
That is difficult to picture.....does anyone have photo software? We need to get Richard Harris's Dumbledore hair/beard on Patrick Stewart's face.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 5:31 am
Sixth Year

Just go watch "I, Claudius" to get some basic ideas.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 7:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Just go watch "I, Claudius" to get some basic ideas.
Oh you beat me to it! IIRC blond, short, and curly. No beard.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old April 22nd, 2012, 2:27 pm
Sixth Year

Okay, watch "I, Claudius" and the recent "Hamlet" he did with David Tennant and combine both Patricks.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:02 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Okay, watch "I, Claudius" and the recent "Hamlet" he did with David Tennant and combine both Patricks.
Need a much longer, fuller beard, and longer hair....

Old April 23rd, 2012, 1:26 am
Sixth Year

Come on, use some imagination!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 4:29 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Come on, use some imagination!
Since Patrick Stewart started losing his hair at 19, I think that even he has a difficult time imagining himself with long white hair & beard!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 1:30 pm
Sixth Year

Hey, Sean Connery was the first choice for Gandalf so we already have a close enough approximation for turning a (semi) bald guy into a long-haired bearded wizard.

Old May 13th, 2012, 8:31 pm
Third Year

It's hard to say, because I've always seperated the films from the books in a way. I've always been sympathetic that it's so hard to fit everything in. I would have liked the Marauders back story though, in reference to the map and Sirius and Snapes relationship too.
The one thing I was most disappointed about was in The Order of the Pheonix. I really wanted to see Harry in Dumbledores office, shouting and throwing things. That scene was so emotional, it would have been great to see.

Old May 15th, 2012, 5:24 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaBlack View Post
It's hard to say, because I've always seperated the films from the books in a way. I've always been sympathetic that it's so hard to fit everything in. I would have liked the Marauders back story though, in reference to the map and Sirius and Snapes relationship too.
The one thing I was most disappointed about was in The Order of the Pheonix. I really wanted to see Harry in Dumbledores office, shouting and throwing things. That scene was so emotional, it would have been great to see.

Visually, I really liked OotP, but palpitation wise, I think it was weakest. Even GoF which was just too huge to adapt well, did better. And a shame, because I think OotP was my favorite book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaBlack View Post

Visually, I really liked OotP, but adapatation wise, I think it was weakest. Even GoF which was just too huge to adapt well, did better. And a shame, because I think OotP was my favorite book.

Old May 17th, 2012, 4:22 am
Third Year

1) Shorten the basilisk scene in COS
2) Put the scene with Dumbledore and Fudge arguing at the end into GOF
3) Shorten the dragon scene in GOF

"A book is made up of signs that speak of other signs, which in turn speak of things." -- Umberto Eco
Old May 20th, 2012, 3:03 am
Second Year

Put in the Sphinx in the maze in GOF as long as it didn't cut any of the Voldemorte returning scenes later in the film.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies