Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Seventh Child Folklore and Its Significance for Ginevra Weasley

Old February 20th, 2006, 4:08 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Seventh Child Folklore and Its Significance for Ginevra Weasley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ania21
I love your theory! But I'm just biased, I'd love to see it, but it sounds too good to be true.

I think it is possible that Ginny can develop minor healing power (or her connection to Harry will heal him). But I can't see any hints pointing to this in the books... Unless it's kind of foreshadowing, like Ginny staring at the bell jar in Room of Time in MoM.
Thanks I just wish I knew exactly what part of the folklore, if any, relates to Ginny. It would be so much easier to speculate and figure what powers she may have been gifted with. Personally, the healing one is my favourite but divination would make an interesting storyline as well.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2006, 6:14 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold
Thanks I just wish I knew exactly what part of the folklore, if any, relates to Ginny. It would be so much easier to speculate and figure what powers she may have been gifted with. Personally, the healing one is my favourite but divination would make an interesting storyline as well.

Cheers
If that's just speculation anyway... we can go and look for possible hints towards Ginny's healing powers. Like:

- after DD's death, she was his greatest source of comfort (that one is pretty strong)
- taking his hand she helped him leave Dumbledore's body - so he must've felt better
- she told Luna about Sirius and Luna helped Harry, so this kinda is partially Ginny's work
- the Hippogriff joke showed how she can turn sad atmosphere into something more happy and energetic
- she 'healed' the atmosphere in the Hog's Head Inn
- she helped him to leave her go go hunt Voldemort
- she helps Luna and Neville feels better in school
- she was fascinated by the Jar Bell with a bird inside in MoM
- she recovered from possession pretty fast
- she made Harry feel better when he thought he's possessed

And next one!
Quote:
„Cats used to be Witches companions. It's the reason why Hermione picked the cat over the owl that she originally wanted. Before the Inquisition the mithology consider cats to be deities. Killing one was punishable with death. Cats were the object of Religious devotions for quite a long time. This began by the Goddest Bastet that was usually portrayed with the body of a woman and the head of the cat, she was worshiped as the personification of fertility and healing. All cats came down not only to be remember not only as symbols of Bastet but as Gods themselves. Killing one by even accident was as I said punishable by death.

Some say Egyptian cat worship frenzy stemmed from the facts that cats protected granaries and other palces where food was stored from becoming overrun by rodents. And having observed cats killing deadly vipers. (which hints you out at something of CoS) Egyptians came to believe the cat was the natural enemy of the snake , a traditional symbol of evil. The cats excellent night vision, and the way it's eyes can eerily reflect light, led to the idea that cats were clairvoyant. If they could see in the dark, why couldn't they read minds or look into the future.

Witches used to be consider to take the form of cat (animagus in JKR world) but unlike McGonagal and the other people. They were able to do it only 9 times. One for each live that her cat had.

Cats were consider able to seek out good hideaways in JKR world they can sense a lie.

7th children:

Although the myth is the seventh son. It doesn't necessarily has to be that way. (I know I'm going to get people that say it has to be 7th son but I'm sure it doesn't has to be.) 7th children of 7th children used to be consider special. They had the the power to heal, and had the gift of 'Second Sight' so it shall be written, so it shall be done. Anything that they could predict was bound to come true.

Now if you want to attached to HP and Ginny. Ginny is a seventh child and the 9th of a family, which apparently is consider important. Ginny was previously with the twins before they found out the QWC result. Also in the Waters book they reminded people that on the chapter of the dark mark were she dissapears with Fred and George that was planned. Cats were followed during times of storms and weather problems because they were able to find the perfect hideaways and ketp safe. I agree with him. Perhaps the twins know what is 'going on' with Ginny and Ron probably will began to question it now.

Up until this book we don't have any kind of foreshadowing of Ginny being a healer but she certainly does seem to get by without anything happening to her. Remember how Harry said that Michale was either bad or unwilling to jinx her perhaps there could be a posibility that he jus wasn't able. I don't know if JKR used this part on Ginny but that part kind of jumped at me as strange.

Also 7th children were alegedly born as divine and chosen ones. They used to be used or said to be able to fight Evil and Corruption and even had the power to destroyed it.

In the gypsy culture little girls with Red hair were consider to be able to see the future.”
I think it was some kind of editorial about Ginny Weasley, but I have no idea where I've found it.

Last edited by Ania21; March 2nd, 2006 at 9:03 pm.
Old March 29th, 2006, 5:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ania21
If that's just speculation anyway... we can go and look for possible hints towards Ginny's healing powers. Like:

- after DD's death, she was his greatest source of comfort (that one is pretty strong)
- taking his hand she helped him leave Dumbledore's body - so he must've felt better
- she was fascinated by the Jar Bell with a bird inside in MoM
These three are the most significant. Time heals and she was fascinated by time. If Ginny has healing powers it would be very surprising because these are the best examples and they aren't very telling by themselves. I think she does have a special power that has not yet been disclosed because she is a seventh child.

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

Interviewer: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
JKR: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old April 18th, 2006, 7:07 am
First Year

I think Ginny will be by Harry's side no matter what he says. When they broke up he walked away before she could say anything. The healing and divinatory powers may come into effect in the 7th book. Ginny knows Harry as a kindred spirit but her power may extend further than we realise. She loves him unconditionally and this will lead to something to do with her healing powers and healing Harry more i think in mind than body. As someone said previously Harry is deeply traumatised and it is this trauma which needs fixing more than anything. This trauma is the reason he is out for revenge.

Old April 28th, 2006, 2:59 am
First Year

this is an awesome thread! i totally agree with you, abraxan_lady15 ^^^^

Old May 7th, 2006, 9:12 pm
Second Year

Ginny Rocks-how can you not vote for her to be the charecter that will most important too the next book?Have I said this before-Ginny Rocks!!!!
Evil Jim

Old May 8th, 2006, 9:19 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljim13
Ginny Rocks-how can you not vote for her to be the charecter that will most important too the next book?Have I said this before-Ginny Rocks!!!!
Evil Jim
I wouldn't go as far to say she will be the most important character in the next book(that would go to Harry or Snape or Voldemort or Dumbledore's ghost etc) but she most certainly rocks

Old May 8th, 2006, 1:34 pm
Zonko's Employee

Wow, this is a great thread.

Cheers to the one that started it.

Old May 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Sixth Year

I don't know if anyone has said this yet. I have to go and read this whole thread, but according to wikipedia, the number seven has many significances. One of those was the belief that a seventh child would be a vampire or a werewolf! I don't know if this will happen to Ginny though. I think it just means she will have a lot of natural talent and magical ability.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Or face the wrath of the four-legged duckling of dooooom!

Severus Snape= Pauses Nerves
Deathly Hallows= The old hallways
Old June 22nd, 2006, 6:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidney Pie
I don't know if anyone has said this yet. I have to go and read this whole thread, but according to wikipedia, the number seven has many significances. One of those was the belief that a seventh child would be a vampire or a werewolf! I don't know if this will happen to Ginny though. I think it just means she will have a lot of natural talent and magical ability.
I think it may mean that Ginny will be involved with the werewolf side of the story in book 7 in some way. Bill is her favourite brother and he was bit by a werewolf and perhaps this may give her cause for retaliation. Or on a weirder note, perhaps Ginny will be bit by a werewolf and turned into one. I just don't see how JK would have time to play out that particular storyline though. I prefer to think that the seventh child aspect has to do with the (1) divination (2) healing powers and (3) metamorphmagus. It would be easier to work those things into the story in my opinion.

Cheers

Old June 22nd, 2006, 8:36 pm
Fourth Year

I think Ginny is a truly remarkable witch, with great powers and she is also kind, and sweet, brave, bold and daring. Maybe she'll find the cure to the werewolf bit, to save her favorite brother, and Lupin? maybe But i also think Harry's stupid for letter her go, his power is love, he loves her keep her around love her more. but then things aren't so simple when you're the one dealing with the promblems.

Old September 14th, 2006, 1:45 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenLH
I think Ginny is a truly remarkable witch, with great powers and she is also kind, and sweet, brave, bold and daring. Maybe she'll find the cure to the werewolf bit, to save her favorite brother, and Lupin? maybe But i also think Harry's stupid for letter her go, his power is love, he loves her keep her around love her more. but then things aren't so simple when you're the one dealing with the promblems.
That is a really interesting idea. There has never been any indication that Ginny is particularly good at potions but it would be really great if she did something as important as that. It's doubtful but still a nice idea. I've always liked Lupin and I hope he's cured by the end of book 7. It's very unfair what happened to him but Jo is writing realistically and life isn't fair so he'll probably be a werewolf at the end of the book.

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old September 14th, 2006, 4:50 am
Second Year

Ooh this is a very interesting topic! I have long admired JK"s subtle (and not so subtle) working and reworkign of legends into her writing, and I think this is one of her best usages. I really love how Ginny's character has developed, and I agree that she has undergone a metamorphosis, the best part of which is that it was a natural and personal change. She just grew up to be herself, without other people pushing her or a bunch of trauma entering her life. Her personality seems right to be that of a healer of some kind, even if her gifts manifest themsleves only in a specific instance. I very much like the idea of her healing Harry...kind of like Fawkes, actually.

I'm also intrigued by the seer-like qualities of the seventh child. This is the most common belief surrounding the seventh child of a seventh child, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the child can predict the future. It can mean that, but it also indicates that the child can see things in the present that other people can't. In the Muggle world this means auras, ghosts, fairies, or other supernatural stuff. For wizards it would obviously be different, as they have no trouble seeing ghosts or other creatures, but maybe Ginny has some kind of "second sight" that can help find the horcruxes?
Good point that Ginny is often associated with cats. In many cultures cats are thought to be powerfully magical and have second sight. Interesting...

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old September 21st, 2006, 3:19 am
Third Year

Okay, I've done a search and decided this is as good as any place to post my thought.
You'll have to forgive, some of the info here is not very new, I only have internet acces to this sight when I am on business trips, and then I have limited time.
Today I was reviewing the sight jkrowling sight, and i noticed the following

"Ginny (full name Ginervra, not Virginia) is the first girl to be born into the Weasley clan for several generations."

I think there is significance to this comment. I think there is even more significance in Ginny's character that fans as a whole seem to be skipping over. I could be wrong as I am a great fan of Ginny (not to be confused with attracted to...no...I'd go for Lupin) but I think there is more significance to her than being Ron's little sister and Harry's first love (I don't believe he loved Cho). First, Lucious chose her for the journal, not Ron, not the Twins, and not Percy. Personally, I think he may have succeeded if he had tried Percy, and I can see why he chose Ginny. She was young, first year at Hogwarts, poor, afraid to fit in, ect. Still...you have to wonder if there is something about Ginny that we do not know. Something beyond her love for Harry, something deep and fated. Thoughts???

Old September 21st, 2006, 6:15 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeydsngwrtr View Post
Okay, I've done a search and decided this is as good as any place to post my thought.
You'll have to forgive, some of the info here is not very new, I only have internet acces to this sight when I am on business trips, and then I have limited time.
You can express your thoughts about Ginny on this thread as well. There was a thread called "The Future of Ginny" but I can't find it.

Ginny, the 7th Weasley...

Quote:
Today I was reviewing the sight jkrowling sight, and i noticed the following

"Ginny (full name Ginervra, not Virginia) is the first girl to be born into the Weasley clan for several generations."

I think there is significance to this comment. I think there is even more significance in Ginny's character that fans as a whole seem to be skipping over. I could be wrong as I am a great fan of Ginny (not to be confused with attracted to...no...I'd go for Lupin) but I think there is more significance to her than being Ron's little sister and Harry's first love (I don't believe he loved Cho). First, Lucious chose her for the journal, not Ron, not the Twins, and not Percy. Personally, I think he may have succeeded if he had tried Percy, and I can see why he chose Ginny. She was young, first year at Hogwarts, poor, afraid to fit in, ect. Still...you have to wonder if there is something about Ginny that we do not know. Something beyond her love for Harry, something deep and fated. Thoughts???
Very interesting and I agree that Ginny will have importance that does not include being Ron's sister or Harry's first love.

I disagree with your reasoning for Lucius choosing her. She was young and vulnerable little girl just starting a new school with no friends so she was the one most likely to use a diary. We also know that Ron would not have used it but given it to his father or Dumbledore or a teacher based on this quote from the Chamber of Secrets:
COSHarry and Ron looked under the sink where Myrtle was pointing. A small, thin book lay there. It had a shabby black cover and was as wet as everything else in the bathroom. Harry stepped forward to pick it up, but Ron suddenly flung out an arm to hold him back.
“What?” said Harry.
“Are you crazy?” said Ron. “It could be dangerous.”
“Dangerous?” said Harry laughing. “Come off it, how could it be dangerous?”
“You’d be surprised,” said Ron, who was looking apprehensively at the book. “Some of the books the Ministry’s confiscated – Dad told me – there was one that burned your eyes out. And everyone who read Sonnett of a Sorcerer spoke in limericks for the rest of their lives. And some old witch in Bath had a book that you could never stop reading! You just had to wander around with your nose in it, trying to do everything one-handed. And –“
“All right, I’ve got the point,” said Harry
If Ron had started writing in it and it had started writing back, Ron would have been suspicious and decide that it was dangerous so it wouldn't have gotten as far as it did with Ginny.

I also don't think this would have worked on any of the other boys. I just don't see them using a diary and Percy is so stuck on authority that he would have felt compelled to hand in this magical object. The twins would have tried to figure out how it worked.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old September 25th, 2006, 1:38 am
Second Year

If you cu
combine the currant state of things with the number 7 youwill come up with something!!!!!!!
Jim

Old September 25th, 2006, 6:40 pm
Third Year

Kind of swerving this back to topic, the folklore of the seventh son has not disappeared. Here in the southern U.S., where most of our families are from English and/or Scotch/Irish (sorry, Scots, but that's what we call ourselves) ancestors, and not long off the farm (if at all), seventh sons are still reputed to be extremely lucky individuals. Good things will happen to them in anything they attempt. Kind of a 'Midas touch' type person. They also were seen as having healing abilities. My great-grandfather's brother was the seventh son (out of 16 children) and he was addressed as 'doctor,' even though he had never been to medical school - he was the repository of folk medicine and healing techniques. Nobody considered it magical, he just knew what to do. BTW, I have read the ingredients of some of his medicinal concotions - the sick person might get well just in self-defense!

Last edited by confutatis; September 25th, 2006 at 6:43 pm.
Old February 12th, 2007, 6:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidney Pie View Post
One of those was the belief that a seventh child would be a vampire or a werewolf!
Ooo that kind of fits in nicely (with a bit of a twist) with my theory that Ginny will become a feline Animagus.

Old March 4th, 2007, 1:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Ooo that kind of fits in nicely (with a bit of a twist) with my theory that Ginny will become a feline Animagus.

Me too! I posted this on the "Ginny" character thread. There are at least two, that I can think of right now, instances that Ginny is described in cat-like terms. One at 12 G'd Place the night her father was attacked, she is described as curling up catlike on a chair to wait for news. Then at the end of OoTP in the infirmary the same such comment was made as she curled up on on of the beds to talk to Ron, Hermione and the others. When I read this first post , and one in the middle pages about Bastet it seemed to click again.

Old March 7th, 2007, 4:36 am
Second Year

I'll have to dig it up, but I think I remember reading a quote from JKR stating that Ginny's patronus was a phoenix.

If that's true, I imagine that would tie in the "healer" aspect of the whole "7th daughter of a 7th daughter" lore.

FWIW...

Last edited by Eileithyia; March 7th, 2007 at 4:36 am. Reason: Fix punctuation.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives