Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Did the Marauders know everything about the castle?

Old October 3rd, 2006, 4:23 pm
ASA Signature Champion

Re: Did the Mauraders know everything about the castle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesHPfan View Post
As for the Room of Requirement, I don't think they knew about that one either ... I mean we know that room is really unplottable ... however if the Marauders had known that it existed, why would they have left it off the map? The room might not show who is in it, but they could still have put the exact location on the map. Therefore I don't think they came across it.
Wasn't it Hermione's opinion that the Room was only unplottable because Draco wanted it to be? That use of the Room was designed for hiding things away, never to be found again, so it's users would want it to unplottable. But when it becomes a store cupboard for Filch or the house elves it needn't be unplottable - in fact the people using it would want it to be found easily. I think that if Harry looks at the Map when the Room of Requirement returns to something mundane, like a toilet, he will be able to see it

Currently... enjoying my wood-burning stove

Riddle Thread * Ask the Brits * Chocolate!
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2006, 9:59 pm
Second Year

But ... what if the room was "made" or "installed" after the Marauders had graduated from Hogwarts?

And yes, indeed she will...
Dance The Night Away..
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:00 pm
Banned

i think they knew about everthing except the Chamber of Secrects.

Old October 4th, 2006, 4:20 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholeigh View Post
Wasn't it Hermione's opinion that the Room was only unplottable because Draco wanted it to be? That use of the Room was designed for hiding things away, never to be found again, so it's users would want it to unplottable. But when it becomes a store cupboard for Filch or the house elves it needn't be unplottable - in fact the people using it would want it to be found easily. I think that if Harry looks at the Map when the Room of Requirement returns to something mundane, like a toilet, he will be able to see it
That could be true, but can someone see what it turns into for others? Harry couldn't see what it became for Draco because of the unplottable wish I don't think he can see what it becomes for others either. Because that would be rather a difficult magical thing, the Map would be sort of able to read the minds of the people who use the room.
It seems plausible that if the Marauders did know about the room they would have put it on the Map, but if I remember correctly it's now a big nothing.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old March 18th, 2007, 7:40 pm
Second Year

not everything, but a whole lot more than most....

Pottermore House
Wand: Elder, Unicorn Tail, 14 1/2, hard.
Old March 18th, 2007, 9:30 pm
Seventh Year

I think the Mauraders did know about the room, but couldn't put it on there because it was unplottable. And because of that, anyone who went in there would effectivly 'dissapear' from the map.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old March 18th, 2007, 9:42 pm
Fifth Year

I think that the Mauraders knew about most of the castle. At the time they were in school they may have know more than the other students. Most likely they knew about the Room of Requirement. It seems that it is pretty well known. I don't think they knew about the Chamber of Secrets.

Because of that I think that Voldemort may have known more about the castle than the Mauraders ever did.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 6:10 am
Second Year

it did know everything about the cattle. i think the four that made it wondered around the cattle when lupin would become a werewolf and the other three would turn into the animals.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:16 am
Second Year

I don't think so. I they didn't know about the room on the seventh floor. It's not on the map.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:27 am
First Year

i'm guessing the room of Requirement isn't always in the castle so to speak.
i mean the room is there when it is needed which might be the reason why it won't show on the map. as for the chamber of secrets, it must have some sort of protections so it won't show on the map. don't know the exact wording but wasn't it said that "it can only be found the heir of slytherin" ?

Old June 4th, 2007, 3:11 am
Second Year

I really believe that althought the Maurauders were amazing at what they did, fact is they graduated Hogwarts and also had enough time to chase girls and terrorize their enemies, play sports, do homework, and all that other fun stuff which was going on at Hogwarts. Seven years? That's not nearly enough time to know all that their is to know about Hogwarts ... we know that Dumbledore was there for well over 50 years and he still said that even he did not know everything about the castle that there is to know ...

Dance The Night Away..
Old June 4th, 2007, 3:29 pm
Second Year

Re: Did the Marauders know everything about the castle?

There seem to be some places that weren't recorded on the Map.

One of them is the Shrieking Shack - Snape says he saw Lupin running along the pasageway and out of sight. So, although the passageway is visible, the inside of the Shack doesn't appear to be.

The other place is Hagrid's hut - Lupin says he sees the trio entering the hut and then leaving the hut 20 minutes later, accompanied by Wormtail. If Lupin had been able to see inside of the hut then he probably would have seen Wormtail on the Map whilst the trio was still inside.

Old June 5th, 2007, 1:05 am
Second Year

AH yes ... you see, although the Shrieking Shack was not on the map, all of the Marauders knew about that place. (They all became animagi to be around Lupin, Wormtail was the smallest and froze the knot at the base of the tree etc..)

I think that the only reason that the Maraduers did NOT put it on the map is because it is not directly asscociated with Hogwarts, that is to say, it is not a part of Hogwarts castle.

And so, it does not prove nor disprove the question whether or not the Marauders knew everything there is to know about Hogwarts...

Dance The Night Away..
Old June 5th, 2007, 1:14 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheercheek View Post
Since Voldemort thinks he's the only one who knows about the chamber (and who will be able to even open it via parselmouth) perhaps he hid one of his horcruxes there. It would be an ideal hiding place--protected by the spells of the castle as well as his assurance that only he can penetrate the language barrier.
Perhaps Salazar Slytherin's statue?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 5th, 2007, 1:15 am
Registered Animagus

It seems pretty certain that the Marauders did not know about the Room of Requirement. When Harry and the his friends were searching for a place to use for the DA Sirius suggested the Shrieking Shack (which implies to me that the Marauders probably used the Shack for other uses than the Full Moon).

After Hermione rightfully points out that they can't sneak all those kids down to the Whomping Willow without being seen, Sirius doesn't offer any other suggestions. Either he doesn't know about the Room of Requirement or he withholds the info from Harry and the DA

I can't see that happening, so I'd say Sirius didn't know about the RoR.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old June 5th, 2007, 1:41 am
Second Year

Bahh, you're right ..

Sirius would be the first person to say " SO THERE IS THIS SECRET ROOM THAT TURNS INTO WHATEVER YOU WANT... I MADE IT ONTO A TORTURE CHAMBER FOR SNAPE ..." blah blah blah

Dance The Night Away..
Old June 5th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdancer_ View Post
AH yes ... you see, although the Shrieking Shack was not on the map, all of the Marauders knew about that place. (They all became animagi to be around Lupin, Wormtail was the smallest and froze the knot at the base of the tree etc..)

I think that the only reason that the Maraduers did NOT put it on the map is because it is not directly asscociated with Hogwarts, that is to say, it is not a part of Hogwarts castle.

And so, it does not prove nor disprove the question whether or not the Marauders knew everything there is to know about Hogwarts...
Sorry, my mistake, I didn't mean to imply that the reason the Marauder's left the Shrieking Shack off the Map was for reasons other than wanting to keep it secret.

I think it's reasonable to speculate that if Fred and George were able to work out how it worked, then others would have been able to do so also. The Marauders may have believed that if Snape, in particular, had got hold of it he may have been able to work how to use it, so they deliberately kept it off.

I think they may have included buildings on the school grounds on the Map if they could have. The Quidditch pitch, changing rooms and greenhouses aren't in the school proper, but I think they may have been on the Map. So, I imagine that they would have put on the Map what places they could.

Having said that, it seems clear that there weren't places that they didn't know, such as the Chamber of Secrets and the Room of Requirement. Given that many wizards over the years looked for the fabled CoS and were unable to find it because it was only open to the Heir of Slytherin, I'm going to speculate that Hogwarts still holds many secrets. (As you can probably guess, I think the trio will be back at the school ) .

Old June 5th, 2007, 4:08 pm
First Year

I don't think so, you can never know, I think Dumbledore said that in GoF. Dumbledore was there a lot longer than the Marauders, so he would know. I'm sure they missed some things off the map, maybe they added things when they found them.. ?

If nobody's everybody then someone can be anybody!

The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.
-Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, PS
Old June 5th, 2007, 4:45 pm
Suteki da ne

I don't know whether they knew everything about the castle, but I do have a suspicion that Filch has seen the map in use before, which is why he knows all about the secret passageways

If you change your mind
Old June 5th, 2007, 9:13 pm
First Year

I don't think that Filch would be able to work it, but it may be reasonable to assume that he caught the Marauders using it and saw it then.

Additionally, my interpretation of the Room of Requirement from the books is that not many people know or understand what it is. It seems that many have stumbled upon it (usually in a time of distress) without understanding how it works. If the Marauders had stumbled upon the room they may not have fully figured out what it was. I don't think the room is always there behind the brick wall; it comes and goes and transforms according to the users needs.

However, I believe, and I could be totally wrong, that the map wasn't hand drawn by the Marauders. They may have used some wand waving and what not over a piece of parchment and the map drew itself (or even continues to redraw itself everytime someone uses it) leaving out areas that are unplottable or not necessarily there (as the room of requirement is not always there). It would only show areas that you can reach without special magic.

<3.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives