Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why Did Professor McGonagall Start Working at Hogwarts in December?

Old March 11th, 2007, 10:43 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Why Did Professor McGonagall Start Working at Hogwarts in December?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgranger View Post
McGonnagall was hired to teach Transfiguration, the post vacated by Dumbledore when he became headmaster. I don't think we're given a reason why Professor Dippet retired or died, but according to the Lexicon, he was "nearly bald, somewhat feeble (CS13)," so I don't think there's any reason to suspect foul play.
Agreed; this seems to coincide correctly with the timeline in HP.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2007, 7:19 pm
Fifth Year

Because that is when the position was posted.

Can you guess where I am?
Old May 24th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Third Year

Where does it say that McGonagall started teaching in December? I always thought she was "rounding off" the 39 years, if it wasn't 39 years even.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old May 24th, 2007, 8:03 pm
Second Year

i think that maybe Hogwarts had to get rid of a teacher or a teacher quit or died around that time so they had to fill the spot for transfigurations so she got hired about that time.

Old May 24th, 2007, 8:06 pm
Second Year

professor dippet probably died or retired, DD got the top job and the transfiguation post was open

Old May 24th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Fifth Year

Because she's EVIL! No, just kidding.

I don't think Dippet retired due to extenuating circumstances, not in the middle of the year. December's not even in the middle of the academic year. If there was something personal going on where Dippet needed to retire, I feel he would have retired before the school year started rather than interrupt the curriculum with staff changes.

It could be something like the reason Firenze began teaching in the middle of the year. Although, not exactly the same reason, obviously, since similar decrees seemingly weren't in place back then. I think it's also possible that Dumbledore and Dippet worked it out together, in a situation where Dumbledore felt he could better fight the Dark Arts if he was headmaster instead of teacher and Dippet didn't mind retiring.

Old May 25th, 2007, 1:20 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
...I think it's also possible that Dumbledore and Dippet worked it out together, in a situation where Dumbledore felt he could better fight the Dark Arts if he was headmaster instead of teacher and Dippet didn't mind retiring.
But we don't have any clues that something particularly dark was just on the horizon. Tom has disappeared for 10 years, but it isn't as if he came back right away when Albus became Headmaster. We don't know when he came asking for the job - except that it was after Dec'56 and before VW1 starts in 1970.

And by '56, the whole Grindelwald things had been finished for 11 years. Unless there is some reason to believe that JKR figured on another 'dark' wizard to coincide with the 'cold war'? Possible, but if so she's hidden the clues pretty well.

I guess Albus might have heard some things about Tom while he was away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig_3180 View Post
Where does it say that McGonagall started teaching in December? I always thought she was "rounding off" the 39 years, if it wasn't 39 years even.
She told Umbridge (in her review) that she had been teaching for 39 years come December.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old May 25th, 2007, 1:23 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

As everyone had already said, I think McGonagall had taken the Transfiguration post as soon as Dumbledore was appointed Headmaster. However, I'm not sure why Dippet would end his term in December. I think it seems likely that he had gotten seriously ill as someone had mentioned in the begining posts. :agreed:

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 29th, 2007, 8:01 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyla View Post
But we don't have any clues that something particularly dark was just on the horizon. Tom has disappeared for 10 years, but it isn't as if he came back right away when Albus became Headmaster. We don't know when he came asking for the job - except that it was after Dec'56 and before VW1 starts in 1970.

And by '56, the whole Grindelwald things had been finished for 11 years. Unless there is some reason to believe that JKR figured on another 'dark' wizard to coincide with the 'cold war'? Possible, but if so she's hidden the clues pretty well.

I guess Albus might have heard some things about Tom while he was away?

She told Umbridge (in her review) that she had been teaching for 39 years come December.
You're right, I had gotten my dates mixed up. I thought Dumbledore became headmaster shortly before Grindelwald was defeated, but clearly that's incorrect. Maybe there was a series of less-known Dark wizards that wouldn't have made it onto Dumbledore's list of Chocolate Frog accomplishments?

Old May 30th, 2007, 12:46 am
Second Year

Re: Why Did Professor McGonnagal Start Working at Hogwarts in December?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Just my opinion, but I think Dippet died during the school year, Albus was 'promoted' to Headmaster and Minerva took Dumbledore's place as Transfiguration teacher.
I concur

Old May 30th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
....Maybe there was a series of less-known Dark wizards that wouldn't have made it onto Dumbledore's list of Chocolate Frog accomplishments?

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old May 30th, 2007, 9:17 pm
Third Year

Re: Why Did Professor McGonnagal Start Working at Hogwarts in December?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Just my opinion, but I think Dippet died during the school year, Albus was 'promoted' to Headmaster and Minerva took Dumbledore's place as Transfiguration teacher.
that sounds about right. i think that someone had died instead of something happening,because we would have known about it.

Old June 29th, 2007, 3:09 am
First Year

We know Voldmort asked Dumbledore for a job at Hogwarts around 1957. (Graduated 45, disappeared a couple of years later, stayed gone ten years.) I presume Voldemort came looking for a job in summer. If it was summer 57, that's close on the heels of Dumbledore becoming headmaster. Gotta be a reason for the timing.

Old June 29th, 2007, 2:20 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedroid View Post
We know Voldmort asked Dumbledore for a job at Hogwarts around 1957. (Graduated 45, disappeared a couple of years later, stayed gone ten years.) I presume Voldemort came looking for a job in summer. If it was summer 57, that's close on the heels of Dumbledore becoming headmaster. Gotta be a reason for the timing.
When Riddle visited Dumbledore, it was snowing outside, so it was obviously not summer. This could mean that the visit happened almost at the exact same time as Dumbledore becoming headmaster or it could have happened at least a year later.

Old June 29th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Third Year

i wouod have to agree with nicole about dippet

but that also would make me curious if it were true.... who will be the new transfiguration teacher? (assuming hogwarts reopns) does anybody know a link to a thread disscussing this?

'Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?' ~the great Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Old June 29th, 2007, 3:55 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedroid View Post
Actually we do NOT know what year it was that Voldy went after the job. You are correct about there needing to be a couple years of working at B&B, but we have no idea how many years that was.

Remember that by the time he leaves for 10 years his appearance had already declined and his eyes flashed red when he saw the Locket. He had apparently already made a horcrux therefore. But he hadn't yet in his last year at Hogwarts (Sluggy's memory). So, it would seem that he found the spell for Horcrux making while working at B&B - perhaps some special 'Dark Arts' book he found while working for them? That could take more than just a few years.

And Hezpiah seemed to know Tom fairly well - I would think that might take a few years.

Remember - we don't have any idea why he went to ask for a job. Albus certainly did not believe Voldy expected to get one - he was sure there was a different reason. Personally I think Voldy's only reason for going there was for the purpose of placing the curse on the DADA job. Why should he do it just out of spite? He knew Albus wouldn't hire him.

But ensuring ahead of time that when he began his war all those students would be badly prepared to defend themselves? That's good advance planning for war. But the war doesn't start until 1970. So we have quite a few years after Albus became Headmaster as possible years Voldy went to ask for the job.

So, yes it might have been as early as Albus' first month as Headmaster. But it isn't proven as such.

Last edited by hwyla; June 29th, 2007 at 3:57 pm.
Old June 29th, 2007, 4:27 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonna
When Riddle visited Dumbledore, it was snowing outside, so it was obviously not summer. This could mean that the visit happened almost at the exact same time as Dumbledore becoming headmaster or it could have happened at least a year later.
This is very interesting, for it furthers the argument that Dumbledore became headmaster midway through the school year (during the winter). Of course, like you say, Dumbledore could have been headmaster for one year or more, but it is interesting nevertheless. Voldemort, upon his entrance, says "I heard you were appointed as Headmaster. A worthy choice," or something to that effect (surprisingly, I do not have my book with me). To me, this sounds as if Dumbledore was recently appointed as headmaster, which is more evidence to Dippet's resignation/death in the winter.

However, while I support the theory that Dippet died midway through the year and was thus replaced, it is also possible that McGonagall was 'hired' as something of a student teacher, if Dippet announced his resignation to be the next summer. Perhaps McGonagall decided to, upon accepting the post in advance, she would become familiar with Hogwarts, etc., and thus came early - in December.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 29th, 2007, 5:08 pm
First Year

Wasn't 1951 about the time that the Basilisk killed Moaning Myrtle? If it was maybe Dippet quit in the summer and Dumbledore became head but the school closed till Christmas in case they could find some evidence of what happened but they didn't find anything... So McGonagall just couldn't take over as Transfiguration teacher because the school wasn't opened yet...

These belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal.
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil.

Old June 30th, 2007, 3:23 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fairy_dust_ View Post
Wasn't 1951 about the time that the Basilisk killed Moaning Myrtle? If it was maybe Dippet quit in the summer and Dumbledore became head but the school closed till Christmas in case they could find some evidence of what happened but they didn't find anything... So McGonagall just couldn't take over as Transfiguration teacher because the school wasn't opened yet...
The basilisk killing Moaning Myrtle happened back when Riddle was in Hogwarts in 1943 which was fourteen years before Dippet died and Dumbledore became headmaster.

Old June 30th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Dippet may have died or he may have been in ill health and couldn't teach past the end of the fall term. Schools hire when there's a vacancy; I don't know that there has to be more to this than that. We've seen this with Trelawney as well.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives