Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old September 2nd, 2011, 3:30 am
First Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Let's see... What do I have to explain to friends and family who only see the movies? Hmm...
EVERYTHING.

Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not much. Seriously, NOTHING is explained in the movies, so here I am explaining the whole Lily's-Patronus-Snape's-Patronus thing, and the whole reason that Harry didn't die when Voldemort killed him, and how Snape really was good, and basically everything. It's sad. BUT... I've gotten my mom to start reading the books, so maybe she can help me on my sad, long quest for UNDERSTANDING!

Though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death,
I will
FEAR NO EVIL.
Psalm 23
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2011, 5:07 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

My sister wanted to know why Snape was called the Half-Blood Prince.

She didn't realize that the patronus Harry cast in PoA wasn't the same one Snape cast in DH1. Personally I think she needs new glasses!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 2nd, 2011, 5:47 am
Fifth Year

Sage not only never read any of the books, he didn't see the first four movies either.

So a lot of his questions were along the "Who is that character" lines, and how s/he is relevant to the storyline.

And in DH 1 he asked me if Ron and Molly Weasley were Muggles, because he didn't notice Ron doing any much magic and because Molly was doing the dishes by hand when the 7 Potters showed up. That bothered me, too.

He also asked why Hermione couldn't just conjure some cheeseburgers from the nearest McDonalds so Ron wouldn't be hungry, and why Hermione wasn't the Chosen One as she was obviously so much better at magic than either of the boys.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old September 2nd, 2011, 8:02 am
Fifth Year

Only little things. I did have to explain why Snape and Lily werent friends anymore. (to my boyfriend) I also did have to explain why Harry was able to beat Voldy but he pretty much got the idea about the horcruxes. It was the whole Harry "dying" business he was a little fuzzy on. He needs to see the other films again though. Hes said so himself, saying he cant remember too much for only seeing them all once...in the theater...as they were released.

My boyfriend intends on buying the full Blu-Ray set when its released. YAY!

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old September 2nd, 2011, 8:30 am
Second Year

Whilst watching HBP I had to explain to my mum hundreds of things. Firstly she didn't understand why Slughorn changed the memory and what a Horcrux was, then she wanted to know why Ron was kissing Lavendar and not Hermione, then why someone would poison Ron. When I explained the poison was for Dumbledore I had to explain that too. This went on for most of them film and in the end she asked me why didn't Dumbledore come back to like and if Fawkes was Dumbledore who 'changed himself into a bird'. I'm dreading watching DH1 and 2 with her...

Twitter - @NiallJAdams
Old September 2nd, 2011, 9:46 am
First Year

At the end of DH part 2 my dad went 'so snape was harry's dad!'

Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:31 am
First Year

i recently went to see DH 2 with a friend who hasnt read the books he had watched it once already so this was his second viewing and near the end when dracos mum asks harry if draco is still alive and harry nods he said to me 'so the malfoys are actually on the good side' lol

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:11 pm
First Year

Like, everything. The entire plot of DH had to be explained to my friend after seeing DH1. The movies add things in that make like, no sense if you haven't read, but aren't really complete if you have read, confusing everyone. Example: Kreacher & the fake locket

the awkward moment when your username is Ravenclaw797 and Pottermore puts you in Gryffindor. but i'm a ravenclaw, through and through

Send me an owl if you want to join the POTTERMORE BATTALION GROUP
http://www.cosforums.com/group.php?groupid=525
and i'll invite you. Everyone who's been posting on the chat threads is basically in the Battalion and therefore needs to join. (Don't be shy!)
Old September 3rd, 2011, 7:46 pm
Second Year

"What's that?" "Who is that?" "What just happened?"

My husband had a lot of questions during DH1 and DH2, but I don't remember many anymore. I'm pretty sure he asked about the doe patronus in the woods, but I told him to wait and see because it would be explained (and then I had to explain it after the movie anyway). Sometimes he didn't know who certain characters were. I had to explain the whole elder wand thing. And he asked whether Harry was dead in the woods.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:43 pm
First Year

I've answered a lot of questions, mainly about Horcruxes. The Deathly Hallows/ Elder Wand subplot seem quite confusing to non-readers, too.

Old September 4th, 2011, 3:07 pm
First Year

Well I have a lot of friends who have never even cracked open any of the books and only know of Harry Potter from what they see in the films,and it seems like every time i've went to see one of the films they would lean over every minutes to ask another question,which im not complaining about at least their interested.So i can't even begin to start to eplain what i had to explain to them about it all

Old September 9th, 2011, 10:49 am
Sixth Year

I'm always curious to know this, but my mom doesn't ask me any questions. She's read the books, but she doesn't remember them now (she reads tons and tons - sometimes she can't even remember which books she's read and which she hasn't). She gets annoyed when I ask her if she understood. I found out from the last one that she didn't understand the Imperius curse - she thought it just made him happy and apathetic (which, I guess in the movie, it kind of did...). She didn't understand why the wand didn't work for Voldemort. She didn't understand why Harry didn't die. Just things like that.

The non-explanation of the Marauders and the map drove me NUTS when I saw POA. It still does.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old September 9th, 2011, 1:33 pm
Registered Animagus

Just those things. That is sort of the main thing. People should understand why Harry died and people should understand why the wand didn't work. I really think it is a failure that the general audience did not explain properly. And the explanation does not need to be like the book. There just needed to a clear explanation.

Old September 9th, 2011, 6:57 pm
Fifth Year

Only question Sage asked during the film, DH2, in the theater:

"Is the snake killing Snape?"

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old September 12th, 2011, 6:15 pm
First Year

After leaving the cinema:

My OH: 'That part was cool where Draco drank Polyjuice Potion to become Harry, and went into the Forest to face Voldemort and pretended to die... then his mother comes over and checks that it's Draco, then they switch back.'

Me: '.... That's completely incorrect.'

Needless to say, I had to explain quite a lot of the movie on the walk home.

Old September 13th, 2011, 1:31 pm
Registered Animagus

Wow. That is a first. I hadn't heard that anyone thought that before. Very interesting.

Old September 24th, 2011, 2:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I haven't had to explain much to my husband. he realised that Snape was a good guy trying to protect Harry. I borrowed DH-part 1 from the library, but he didn't say anything about the movie, good, bad or indifferent. I have to wait a bit for the DH-Part 2 movie.

Old September 24th, 2011, 3:12 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter_gleek View Post
Whilst watching HBP I had to explain to my mum hundreds of things. Firstly she didn't understand why Slughorn changed the memory and what a Horcrux was, then she wanted to know why Ron was kissing Lavendar and not Hermione, then why someone would poison Ron. When I explained the poison was for Dumbledore I had to explain that too. This went on for most of them film and in the end she asked me why didn't Dumbledore come back to like and if Fawkes was Dumbledore who 'changed himself into a bird'. I'm dreading watching DH1 and 2 with her...

My sister & her husband always go to the HP movies together...he's read the books, she has not. Little questions started with OOTP; she had dozens of questions for DH 1 & 2 (she won't ask him; she pretends she gets it, and asks me later).

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:05 pm
First Year

I have to explain so much to my dad, which makes me realise how much they actually leave out of the movies. The earlier ones he doesn't have too many problems understanding, it's the latter ones with the more intricate plots that throw him.

The first time he asked me to explain something was when he didn't understand why Bart Crouch Jr. Didn't just kill Harry in GoF when he was Moody. I told him fair point really. He found it odd that he didn't just kill Harry and take some of his blood to Voldemort so that Voldy could be reincarnated.

He then didn't understand what was going on in the department of Mysteries in OotP. He was following it well up until they realised Sirius wasn't there and then ran into the room that had that archway in it (can't remember what it's called). He didn't understand how Sirius was killed by a curtain or where he went. I had to spend half an hour explaining to him what the department of Mysteries was.

He pretty much understood HBP. I think they explained the plot well. He had trouble understanding the whole Pensieve thing though.

Then he had a million questions when we saw both parts of DH. First, he didn't know why Fleur and Bill were suddenly together (didn't really understand who Bill was; he guessed he was a Weasley but that was it). He then didn't know what the news was that Tonks was talking about (Didn't really have an idea who Tonks was either, which I can't blame him for. She doesn't get much screen time). Then he wondered why they didn't just use those 'teleporter thingies' (Portkeys) from the fourth movie to get to the Burrow. Then he didn't understand what the mirror thing was (again, can't blame him). Then he didn't understand the plot behind the Elder Wand changing hands or who Grindlewald was (again, not very well explained).

Then when we say the last movie I basically had to explain the whole plot to him. Initially he thought Lily was having an affair with Snape and Snape was really Harry's father. He thought that they'd never fallen out as friends. He also didn't understand who Aberforth was or Ariana. He thought the girl in the painting was just a girl in a painting, and that Dumbledore just didn't like the painting or that it was a painting of Aberforth's dead wife and Dumbledore didn't get along with her. He got very confused.

Pottermore:
RookFlight56
Slytherin
12 ½ inches, Dragon heartstring, Hazel, Slightly springy

Last edited by BlueScarecrow; September 24th, 2011 at 12:12 pm.
Old September 24th, 2011, 4:45 pm
Second Year

I had to explain to my brother that Snape was not Harry's real father... yikes!

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies