Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old September 25th, 2011, 2:25 pm
First Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

I've had to explain why Harry had to keep going back to the Dursley's. "They treat him so badly there, why does he keep going back?" I guess it wasn't explained very well in the movies, particularly since the Dursley's weren't even at the beginning of GoF or HBP. The whole "Harry is protected by his mother's blood" thing wasn't really done that well.

Old September 25th, 2011, 4:57 pm
Third Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

I was forced to explain to my father that Snape WAS NOT Harry's dad.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old September 25th, 2011, 5:00 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Nothing. They're pretty much across it.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 25th, 2011, 5:30 pm
Second Year

Disturbing as it is, I've had two friends who have asked me if Snape is Harry's father, and it just ****** me off. Personally I can't understand their conclusion at all. Just because Snape went to the Potter's house after they died and hugged Lily, and the fact that Harry named one of his sons Albus Severus Potter doesn't mean that Snape is Harry's father.

MidnightQuill
Old September 25th, 2011, 6:44 pm
Second Year

I had to explain almost the entire story to my dad. He has not read the books, but has seen some of the movies. He does not typically get to sit and watch a Harry Potter movie in its entirety because he always gets called out to fight a fire about halfway through. He went to see DH2 with my mom, my friend, and me on opening day. My parents went in first, (I had to change, seeing as I came from work and smelled terribly of deep fried food) and my friend and I sat somewhere else. Afterward, my mom was telling me how she had to keep explaining things to my dad. When we got home, I had to explain things that were not covered in the movies, and that Snape was truly a good person.

Proud Ravenclaw
(Both CoS and Jo agree)

Pottermore: RoseSparks

Wand: Ash with Unicorn; 10 3/4 inches; hard

Finally a Pottermore Beta Tester August 29!
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Registered Animagus

The more i hear about people that thought Snape was Harry's dad the more i realize what an epic failure the film was. It just did not make sense in my opinion.

Last edited by decarus; September 25th, 2011 at 11:36 pm.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobson View Post
I was forced to explain to my father that Snape WAS NOT Harry's dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
The more people i hear about people that thought Snape was Harry's dad the more i realize what an epic failure the film was. It just did not make sense in my opinion.

I had no idea that people actually thought that!
Personally, I thought the movies made pretty clear who Harry's parents were.

A lot of other things, however... (I try to avoid watching the movies with people who haven't read the books.)
But, I always feel the need to add to my non-book reading friends that the Marauder's Map was made by Harry's dad, Lupin, Sirius & Pettigrew, because that was one of the things I loved finding out in the books and I think it's a shame it's not really in the movie.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
The more i hear about people that thought Snape was Harry's dad the more i realize what an epic failure the film was. It just did not make sense in my opinion.
the film made perfect sense in my opinion, the people who thought that snape was harrys dad obviously werent watching properly and obviously arent too familiar with the story and arent that much of a fan of the films imo, its perfectly clear who harrys father is in the film in all the films for that matter, my best friend has never read the books but has watched all the films, but he is a proper fan of the films he hasnt just glanced over them once or twice he has followed the story and seen all the films loads and it was clear to him who harrys father was he understood most of the story tbh, i agree that there are some parts of the harry potter films that are hard to understand if you havent read the books but knowing who harrys father was was not one of them imo

Last edited by rogue_bludger; September 26th, 2011 at 12:03 am.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:27 am
Fourth Year

I would never, ever go with my friends to see the movies. The amount of questions I would be pelted with would detract from my enjoyment . My parents don't care about Harry Potter, so they are not a problem. My sibling, however, has asked time and again why Voldemort looks deformed. And I have told her, time and again, that it was the result of horcruxes. Yet she continues to pester me with this one question.

Old September 26th, 2011, 12:48 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_bludger View Post
the film made perfect sense in my opinion, the people who thought that snape was harrys dad obviously werent watching properly and obviously arent too familiar with the story and arent that much of a fan of the films imo, its perfectly clear who harrys father is in the film in all the films for that matter, my best friend has never read the books but has watched all the films, but he is a proper fan of the films he hasnt just glanced over them once or twice he has followed the story and seen all the films loads and it was clear to him who harrys father was he understood most of the story tbh, i agree that there are some parts of the harry potter films that are hard to understand if you havent read the books but knowing who harrys father was was not one of them imo
I understand that you feel that way. And after i saw the film i did not consider that people would think Snape was Harry's father. The thing is that it seems to be the most stated thing that people thought about the film that was not true and needed to be explained. It is not one guy. It seems like a very regular thought and an epic failure in my opinion.

Old September 26th, 2011, 12:53 am
First Year

Everything, every single time I have to explain the whole story from beginning to end.

Old September 26th, 2011, 1:48 am
Third Year

I had to explain Snape's story in more depth to my parents so they could understand that he was really a good character, and they didn't quite understand what the pensive was at first. My mom also thought Lunas dad was Lucius at first and asked "is he a good chracter then?" She realized pretty quick it wasnt him though!

Pottermore: GhostMidnight77 House:Slytherin
Wand: Cedar, dragon core, 13 inches, unbending

Voldemort is relaxing at HQ stroking Nagini absentmindedly.Suddenly,an idea hits him.He grins maliciously .

Voldemort : "ACCIO POTTER!"
Harry comes flying through the Window and lands on the floor looking confused.
Voldemort : "Well, I'll be damned ..."
Old September 26th, 2011, 1:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
I understand that you feel that way. And after i saw the film i did not consider that people would think Snape was Harry's father. The thing is that it seems to be the most stated thing that people thought about the film that was not true and needed to be explained. It is not one guy. It seems like a very regular thought and an epic failure in my opinion.
well i can only agree with you, the whole is snape harrys father thing does seem the most stated thing that isnt true and has to be explained and i understand its not just one guy or even a couple of people who got confused, its quite a regular thought, and it might be that because ive read the books and i know the truth that its hard for me to understand this confusion

Old September 26th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Second Year

The main thing I had to explain was the Snape-Dumbledore situation through Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows. I had to explain what they were arguing about and why Dumbledore was raising Harry for slaughter.

Lightnox167
12¼ inches, Hawthorn, Unicorn Hair core, unyielding

Old September 26th, 2011, 5:12 pm
Second Year

I pretty much have to explain EVERYTHING to my family, and seriously I'm not exaggerating. I personally think the movies aren't really explained well and are more focused towards the actual fans that have read the HP books, so for an audience that hasn't even read the first book, I think, would probably walk out totally puzzled out of the cinema.

So pretty much whenever me and my family went to see the movies I'd have to explain the whole story from beginning to end. And now I got my mum to read the books, she has started number one

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old September 26th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_bludger View Post
well i can only agree with you, the whole is snape harrys father thing does seem the most stated thing that isnt true and has to be explained and i understand its not just one guy or even a couple of people who got confused, its quite a regular thought, and it might be that because ive read the books and i know the truth that its hard for me to understand this confusion
I agree with you. Having read the books i would never have considered that people would think that Snape was Harry's father, but i can totally see how a casual movie goer who does not know the end of the series going in could think that. The Snape scenes were confusing.

And while it was stated that Harry looked like his father and all that, there was definitely a suggestion that something was going on between Snape and Lily and then to see Snape in the room with Lily's body and baby Harry in the background and Snape saying "No one can know" or something like that. I could easily see why it would occur to people that what no one could know was that Harry was Snape's son. It isn't a huge leap in my opinion.

Still clearly a misunderstanding in light of the whole series, but certainly not in light of DH2. And i personally think that it is very important that each film be internally consistent within itself.

Old September 26th, 2011, 7:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
I agree with you. Having read the books i would never have considered that people would think that Snape was Harry's father, but i can totally see how a casual movie goer who does not know the end of the series going in could think that. The Snape scenes were confusing.

And while it was stated that Harry looked like his father and all that, there was definitely a suggestion that something was going on between Snape and Lily and then to see Snape in the room with Lily's body and baby Harry in the background and Snape saying "No one can know" or something like that. I could easily see why it would occur to people that what no one could know was that Harry was Snape's son. It isn't a huge leap in my opinion.

Still clearly a misunderstanding in light of the whole series, but certainly not in light of DH2. And i personally think that it is very important that each film be internally consistent within itself.
yeah good point, looking back at those scenes i can sort of understand now why people thought snape was harrys dad, i guess i just take it for granted while watching the films that being a book fan i already know what the story is, and maybe the film makers took it for granted to

Old September 26th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Fourth Year

The only thing I had to explain to my friend who hadn't read the books was why Harry didn't die in the forest, and I did a pretty bad job of it. I understand that the whole blood protection is probably way too complicated to explain easily in the film, but they could have used the fact that Harry was Master of Death as an explanation.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:09 pm
Third Year

I remember after Half-Blood Prince came out, I had to have about an hour-long discussion with my friend about Horcruxes. She just didn't understand what they were and how they worked and basically wanted me to break the whole thing down for her. She also had all these other questions about the plot and other details and I ended up describing scenes and plot lines from the books that weren't in the movies. I think towards the end I finally just said to her, "if you care so much, why don't you just read the books?!"

ThestralQuill
11 1/2" Sycamore and Unicorn hair, surprisingly swishy

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,
that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:27 am
Registered Animagus

I didn't understand why Harry came back to life in the film either because they didn't give a reason why he wasn't just dead.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies