Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old August 19th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Fourth Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Well in film 1 you don't have to explain anything... (probably why i like it! lol!) because at least peopel thought htey got it.
the second one not as much...but it didn't really seem to matter to them
they at least thought they got POA and lvoed it. Gof....well, who wormtail was!!!!
i think they got OOTP...but i explained most of it. Except i don't think they picked up the prophecy thing.

plus, my grandma who loves all the movies but has never read the books....she asked me after OOTP who the muggles were - "it's the twins and ron's sister and his mum, right?" O.o.

..and she's watched all the films and loves them....a lot...

BUt after OOTP she said "it's ron and hermione, isn't?!

so not too bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornzyum View Post
That YES Ginny does fancy Harry! Honestly! My family are really slow!
but they noticed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Black View Post
Explain why they broke up. It was different in both.
and if they didn't get the movie version then... O.o. they should have explained it more....and liek said "Cho Chang" not just "Miss Chang" when snape's saying about using the variteserum up

Old August 19th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Fifth Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff View Post
but they noticed!!!
Only just!

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old August 19th, 2007, 6:13 pm
First Year

I had to explain who Tonks was for a non-reader that watched OOtP. They were intrigued by her character, and wanted to know who she was. Other than that, surprisingly, all of my friends understood OOtP very well!

Old August 19th, 2007, 6:16 pm
First Year

I had to explain that Hagrid has his wand in his umbrella. My mom seriously didn't pick up on that.

Old August 20th, 2007, 4:29 am
Second Year

I had a lot of trouble explaining the stag patronous in PoA to a friend of mine. I think I just confused him. Actually, PoA in general was difficult to understand. Still, it was one of my favorites so far. My father said he was least confused by OotP.

52% Obsessed with Harry Potter.
(take the quiz )

WOMBAT: Level 1=E, Level 2=E, Level 3=E.
PROUD GRYFFINDOR!

Old August 22nd, 2007, 1:12 am
Second Year

My friends thought Nigel was another Weasley! I was insulted.

They also wondered why Harry would say that the nargles were in the mistletoe. I had to explain that Luna specifically said that about the mistletoe beforehand.

I had to explain that Krum was cursed in GoF.

And I had to explain that Harry/Hermione is certainly not hinted like that in the books.

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:08 pm
Second Year

Actually - I never really have to explain anything. My parents get the gist - I just tell them more in depth detail that was missing from the movies and why certain things were important. Thus far my mom only asked - what was such a big deal about the prophecy being made. She understand that one was made and that it was a big deal, but she didn't understand what it meant. And quite frankly I don't recall if it was explained all that well in the movie.

Oh and I did have to explain the Room of Requirement to them and how it works and why I was so upset with how they portrayed that room in the movie of OOTP - especially with what happens in HBP.

Let us endeavor to live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry” ~ Mark Twain~

"And the last enemy that shall be conquered is death" ~Deathly Hallows~

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you" ~Legend of Dragoon~
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:14 pm
Defender of Dogs

Nothing, surprisingly- I make a point to only see HP movies with friends of mine who have read the books, because I wouldn't be up to explaining everything to them. Everyone in my family has read them, though, so I usually only have to remind them of things they've forgotten because they don't read the books as much as me.

Old April 28th, 2008, 10:19 pm
Third Year

I have only ever seen the films with my friends who have also read Harry Potter. But actually, when talking about the films to one of my friends, who has only seen the films and not the read the books, I always start talking about things that happen in the books and she gets all confused about it.
I've told her to read them a million times but she hates reading.
I can now always wind her up by telling her spoilers! she has no idea who dies and plans on keeping it that way until 2011 when the last film is out.

Old April 28th, 2008, 10:38 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

I had to explain that an archway gobbled up Sirius!

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old April 29th, 2008, 7:19 am
Third Year

Actually, my mum's doing pretty well. She did read 1-4, but that was years ago. She had been looking forward to the Order movie for awhile as the book was what turned her off from the series in the first place (just too long and too boring in her opinion ^^; ) and she thought the movie would be better.

She swallowed it well. In fact, of the questions she asked were mostly on future and background stuff. She questioned Snape's loyalty and why Dumbledore trusts him and helps protects Harry even though his father was a pig to him (go mum for spotting that! I didn't even question that back in the OotP/HBP days).

She also wanted to know more on the prophecy. How it was made and why only Harry could get it. And because we never saw the Death Eaters again at the end of the ministry scene, she was surprised to hear that Voldemort doesn't kill Malfoy Snr. She was sure he was a goner! XD And because we watched it on her tiny TV she kept asking why was it so dark. I couldn't come up with a good enough answer aside from "... it's a dark story?"

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old April 29th, 2008, 5:17 pm
First Year

I have to explain EVERYTHING to them. Why did this occur, how did they do that, what's that certain thing called..just everything.

Old April 29th, 2008, 5:22 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I've had to explain a lot of things, and often when explaining all of this they just give me funny looks. My uncle was like "How am I meant to know all that from this film?" (I may have gone a bit in depth ) But on the whole, my family, who have never picked a Harry Potter book before, understand what is going on. Sirius' death was a bit confusing for them, and all of the spells.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old May 2nd, 2008, 8:06 pm
Second Year

i usually watch hp movies with my lola(grandma) i even made her read all the books so she can understand it on her own and my lola even gave me additional allowance for that hehe.. now my couz is starting to like hp, so i have to explain to her everything coz i dont want her to borrow my books haha

"Understanding is the first step to acceptance..
and only with acceptance can there be recovery..."
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:35 pm
Third Year

I had to explain that Harry and Hermione do not end up together. Seriously, even the films show alot of Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny and I could not believe that my mom actually did not see this! We were in the car and I was talking about the epilouge. And she stopped me mid sentence and asked, "Wait-What about Harry and Hermione? Don't they become a couple?" and I nearly fainted or not. I went on to a ten minute rebuttal why this was not true.

And for some reason, my friend thought it was canon that Voldemort was always barefoot....

(I have nothing against Harry/Hermione shippers who understand that it's not canon even if they like it. I just had to say this...)

Proud member of FOPAP (Fans of Puppies and Ponies)
Begone all you so called c.ats!

Last edited by firefly20angel; May 4th, 2008 at 7:17 pm.
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I always feel like I have to explain everything and I find it hard to hold myself back because there is so much that book misses.

For PoA, I had to explain the whole Marauder's Map thing and more recently the propchey from OoTP. I found a lot of people really confused about this part. Also, the movie brought up that there is some sort of connection between Voldy and Harry and I had to go into that too (without spoiling of couse )

Old May 4th, 2008, 4:04 am
Seventh Year

There's a lot I have to explain to friends and family who aren't readers of the books. The main thing was the whole Marauders back story in PoA. I like this film but it left a lot unexplained.

Old May 4th, 2008, 4:06 am
Fifth Year

A lot about the last film; nothing much about the rest.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion?’ Vygotsky
Old May 4th, 2008, 4:11 am
First Year

My mum's the only who watch the films, because I made her to. (lol)
She doesn't read the books, nor does she wants to anyway.
So when we watch the films/DVDs, she would ask questions every now and then, and that's where I come in (lol)

She don't really care about the continuous storyline, it's just the visuals that matter. (lol)

Old May 4th, 2008, 4:47 am
Second Year

The Harry Potter movies are like the only movies I don't have to explain stuff to my mum. Every other movie she asks stuff the whole way through but she usually gets the HP movies

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies