Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Discussion: The Horcruxes

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:07 am
First Year

Re: Discussion: The Horcruxes

1. What did you think of Umbridge having Slytherin's locket?

I thought this was brilliant, and it showed the true nature of Umbridge, getting it from Dung. I do wonder if the Horcrux affected her personality and made her meaner at ther job and amplified her hatred of other magical beings and muggle borns.

2. What did you think of the destruction methods for each Horcrux? Was the sword of Godric Gryffindor overused for that purpose?

I loved the fire the best. I think it showed the power it took to destroy the Horcruxes and how the good guys were unwilling to weild that type of dark magic. It would make sense why Voldemort thought the Horcruxes were so safe if it took that for them to be destroyed. I liked the sword too, I don't think it was overused, it's such a symbol of the power of the Gryffindors and Hogwarts.

3. Were you surprised at how many different people destroyed Horcruxes?

I thought it was brilliant how Neville killed Nagini and how that proved Harry needed to share the burdon of the mission Dumbledore left him. I was so glad the cup was destoyed without a huge waste of time. I felt like they took their own sweet time destroying most of them.

4. Were the Horcruxes in places you expected them to be?

Not really, I expected them to have to do more of what Dumbledore had to do, exploring the places Voldemort had been. Much of what Harry learned about him in HBP didn't seem to matter much, it went more back to COS.

I was also disappointed that the 5th Horcrux was such a well known relic of Ravenclaw. The diadem seemed kind of obvious, and the clues were all there at Hogwarts, why didn't Dumbledore look? Wouldn't Hermione have known about the diadem and the Gray Lady from Hogwarts A History or other books about the Hogwarts founders? Weren't they looking for objects that belonged to the founders that could be horcruxes for months?

Also, I don't get how Voldemort would have thought the Room of requirement was a good enough hiding place. Draco use the Room of Requirement all last year to fix the cabinet and that was the access point where the Death eaters gained entry to Hogwarts, why wasn't Voldmort tipped off that the Diadem wasn't safe? Wouldn't one of the Death Eaters explained how they got in or how Draco repaired the cabinet unnoticed?

5. Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes?

I think that was left intentionally by Dumbledore so that they would know more. Dumbledore hadn't told everything to Harry, when he died, they wouldn't know what to do.

Last edited by JCalder; July 24th, 2007 at 7:12 am.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 7:26 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4halls View Post
2. I was actually pleased at the way JKR wrote that. I was glad that there wasn't just "one item" that had to be used to destroy them. I thought it was brilliant though that the sword destroyed the last horcrux and that the last horcrux was Nagini. It was a great parallel to "Chamber" when Harry used the sword to kill the basilsk. It was almost as if the sword was the snake killing weapon. I was impressed.
That's a good point. The two times in the series that the sword was pulled out of the sorting hat (which was Godric Gryffindor's) were to kill the basilisk (a type of snake) and to kill Nagini. Strangely enough, both times were to kill snakes linked very closely to Slytherin aims. Yes, true Gryffindors pulled them out of the hat, but it also seems that the goal was to defeat Slytherin's heir each time. Ahh, gotta love those ancient rivalries.

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:27 am
[user title]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
[b]1.
It seems as if many of the fans guessed Voldemort's Horcruxes and their locations somewhat easily, with twists here and there. Many believed of the tiara, locket, and cup (and some did believe the cup was in Gringotts - even some believed it was with Bella), and Nagini staying with Voldemort was no surprise. However, I am not criticizing JKR for her seemly act of 'unoriginality,' for she had these ideas in her head from the beginning, and she was not about to change them because some fans guessed them. It does not truly matter what/where the Horcruxes were, but how the hunt for them was written.
Of course the books had to have enough information in them for us to figure them out. We new what Harry knew and Harry had all the information he needed.
However, we did not guess them easily, it was a group effort and took months to figure out, just because lots of people read other peoples ideas and adopted them as their own does not negate all the work that came before hand. Not that I remember all of the theories that I got from someone else and what was all my work (although I am pretty sure that I came up with my theory that when the AK curse hit Lily, it rebounded and destroyed Voldy's body and the piece of should that had just been damaged broke off and went into the only loving thing available).

I loved that she had it and Harry got to torture her. As soon as I read about her clipboard being at her chest, I knew she had the locket on.

2. What did you think of the destruction methods for each Horcrux? Was the sword of Godric Gryffindor overused for that purpose?
I loved that Neville killed Nagini, even though he wasn't Voldy's Chosen one, he stepped forward when needed.

I was not surprised, only a true Griffendor can wield the sword and everyone was always wondering about Neville, now he has proved himself, same with Ron, he doubted himself, now he knows he is a true Gryfendor, no matter what anyone says.

I thought it was very cool the way the trio went through the possible locations, just like we have done a million times in the horcrux threads.
I love that the diadom had been in Albania and then ended up at Gringotts.

Two locations that I was absolutely sure about. Why would Voldy be in Romania for 10 years otherwise and the bank, because he never had money to put there, I remember posting that right after we found out about the horcruxes.
And even though my unrealistic favorite, the Golden Snitch was not a horcrux, which I knew wasn't likely, she still used one in a different manner.
I knew that Bella had one of the horcruxes. That is why she thought she was Voldy's most trusted DE.
Then I don't remember who the brilliant poster who noticed the artifacts that the house Ghosts had on as they flew threw the window, but after I found out about that, my faith in the tiara never faltered. I knew the tiara in the RoR wasn't what it seemed.

I thought it was so great that Neville killed Nagini. I knew she was the final horcrux.
DD's guesses are never far off the mark and even though we know how stupid it was for Voldy to make her one, he had so much Hubris he did not think it mattered. No one could find out that he had one horcrux, let alone six and they would never find the one in the RoR, since he was the only one who could get in.

5. Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes? I did not suprise me at all. Obviously Dumbledore had put a spell on them that he knew would end when he died and the Harry and the Twins showed us that the accio spell has a very long range for talented witches and wizards, plus evey one was always talking about why Harry didn't just say Accio Horocrux, so Jo had to explain it.

Last edited by storyteller; July 25th, 2007 at 5:25 am.
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:44 am
First Year

Dementors, Horcruxes....Anyone???

As I was reading Hermiones description of how to destroy Horcruxes, a simple thoery struck me, Im not sure if anyone has posted this idea before, but to me it seemed a simple one, and i was sure JK was going to use it.

A horcrux is an object, with a persons soul inside, If you remove the soul, or destroy it, the Horcrux should be destroyed.

So what is the only creature we know of that can remove one's soul.......

So dementors struck me as a very obvious way to help Harry in there task.

What do you think, did anyone else think of this

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:46 am
Third Year

Perfect! Umbridge is full of pride but so clueless. She would have been easy prey for the bit of Voldy's soul in the locket, and to unknowingly slip it on and parade it around like a medal suited her to a T.

With so many details to agonize over, I was happy that Harry, Ron and Hermione were not going to have to come up with new ways to defeat a Horcrux everytime. That said, the means of destruction varied after all, and to see Neville (who so easily could have been in Harry's place) pull the sword out of the sorting hat was awesome.

Not at all. Harry's strength is in the loyalty he puts in others, and earns from them. Voldy ultimately learned: one man can only do so much.

When Harry kept pushing Hogwarts and getting shut down by Ron and Hemione, you just knew one was going to be there, no? Otherwise, I really did expect one at Godric's Hollow.

5. Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes?

Hermione and books go together like Hermione and Ron! ;-) If there was something to be read, she was going to get it. No surprise here!

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:17 am
First Year

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It seemed very Umbridgy to pass herself off as a pure blood and to confiscate the locket from Mundungus. I'm glad we've got to see her suffer a bit more!

Overused? It was only used to destroy three of the seven. Basilisk venom for two. Fiendfyre for one. The Killing Curse for one. It didn't strike me as a problem.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant! No one person destroyed more than one Horcrux (though Voldemort destroyed Harry's and the last soul fragment still in himself, though that's not actually a Horcrux...) It underlines the need for friends. You can't do it alone.

Well, Dumbledore knew all of them all along. It was pretty clever to have dropped hints about the locket and the diadem in previous books, though...

No. Hermione's a smart one. And those books didn't end up helping very much anyway.

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:48 am
Second Year

I think it just emphasises her evilness and sadist qualities.

The sword wasnt overused but I did think that they would be much harder to destroy. I'm not saying that it was easy but they seemed to just need to be stabbed by something really really powerful

Yeah I was. But I definitely liked it a lot. It shared Harry's burden and I think it was a great way for Ron to redeem himself.

Not at all. Except for Harry the others were a surprise. I liked the twist with the Grey Lady. The Gringotts scene was also really good.
I thought they were going to be in similar places to the locket where Dark Magic was everywhere and it was going to require sacrifices and they would be haunted by horrible memories.

Yeah, but she's clever. I think the simple way of getting it was not expected by Ron and Harry so they wouldn't have thought about it.

Lord Montymort
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:56 am
First Year

When Mundungus was trying to describe her, my immediate thoughts were; "Oh no, not Umbridge, not her, don't want to see her with it". I wanted to know if she knew the nature of this particular locket or if she thought that it would help her avoid being called anything but a Pureblood; and is she that evil? When the Trio wore it, the locket put them in a completely different state of mind, but does it affect Umbridge?

They're simple enough to show that the souls are protected well enough that you cannot destroy it by just smacking it against the table.
Horcruxes aren't common, so things that are able to destroy them wouldn't be that common as well. It's fitting that most of LV's (heir of Slytherin)Horcruxes to be destroyed by Gryffindors' sword.

It shows that not only Harry would be able to destroy LV's many souls, and that by having so many people doing it, they are like representatives of those whose lives have been in any way changed by LV's actions.

Yeah, they've got to be places that LV has been but would also have some tie to magical history/properties. But Umbridge's neck! Eurgh - felt sorry for the locket on that one.

If it was easy to sneak Snufflers in, it would be easy to sneak things out, wouldn't it? Usually the simplest answer is the best. And it gave Hermione some new reading materials before the school was taken over.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:55 am
Third Year

A BIG shout out to surrypotter, if you read this... Hi =D

Somewhat unexpected, though I was absolutely right that Mudungus (is that how you spell it?) stole the locket and most likely sold it. And was therefore right that the locket found in Gimmauld was a Horcrux

Not really, it was only used for 2 times. After all the sword represents the spirit of the Gryffindor house, and it is fitting that 2 Gryffindors used the sword to destroy the horcruxes.

A little, but after all it Harry couldnt had done it alone. I think it is good anf Harry too required the help of his friends and enemy alike.

No. =p

I didnt expect one of them to be in Hogwarts. I thought one of them must be in Albania, but sadly Voldy moved it, damn, so close. And I didnt suspect one of it would be in Gringott.

Probably Dumbledore menat for her to find it. who knows

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:17 pm
Second Year

I have to say, when I was reading Harry, Ron and Hermione's reactions to the locket, I kind of thought of the One Ring. The locket really brings out the worst in the wearer.

I expected one of them to be at Hogwarts, but I also expected Dumbledore to find the Hogwarts one...

I actually liked the idea of Gryffindor's sword as the destroyer of the horcruxes.

Because we love our Vegemite!
We all adore our Vegemite!
It puts a rose on every cheek!
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:19 pm
Second Year

I didn't surprise me that much, I'd think nothing of her taking something for her own gain... I would say I was surprised that no-one noticed the effect it had on her, but she was a thoroughly nast character anyway imo, so I don't suppose it would have made much difference!!!

Again, I was surprised... I thought it might be some incredibly complex and dangerous spell to destroy the horcruxes... and where did it come from that the sword was impregnated with basilisk venom? Hermione seemed to just deduce that out of thin air, with no research or proof!

I think it was kinda cool tht so many people were involved in this, reinforces the idea that having friends and working as a team (Harry and co) is better than being a loner and trusting no-one (a la LV)

Some were, some weren't... I had a feeling there'd be something at Hogwarts

Not really... but only Hermione would think of just accio'ing it!!!!

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Third Year

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, and if not please let me know and I'll move, but could someone explain to me how exactly VM was able to destroy the scar horcrux? And if DD guessed that this would happen, why didn't he tell Harry or at least Snape? I found it so hard to read the chapter where Harry believed he was walking to his death, it upset me as much (nearly!) as Snape's death and then I got a tad confused after...

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:41 pm
First Year

I thought it was a perfect excuse to get back at her.

I do not think the sword was over used. We all knew it was important, but I kept thinking about how Dumbledore said it was only a sword. Appartently he knew that the sword had importance even if it was not a horocrux.

Yes, but I loved it. Especially Neville's contribution.

For the most part yes. I always thought the diadem we saw in the RofR was a horocrux. I just wonder how much stuff was in it when LV left it there. Surely he had to realize that a room full of stuff was not only known by him.

Yes, but like they saw, Keep it Simple.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:45 pm
First Year

I'm slightly confused. Voldemort's soul was split into 7 parts right? and 7 parts of his soul has been destroyed from the moment when Neville killed Nagini, so how was Voldemort still alive? With no soul left shouldn't he have been like people who have suffered the dementor's kiss?
Or did I misunderstand, and there were actually 8 parts of Voldemort's soul, 7 horcruxes and one part still in Voldemort?

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:05 pm
First Year

First, to everyone who said the scarcrux thing was 'impossible' and spent all last year chastising me about how it simply couldn't be:

Altho' admittedly, she handled it as poorly as she handled most of Book 7. Lazily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffybot View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, and if not please let me know and I'll move, but could someone explain to me how exactly VM was able to destroy the scar horcrux? And if DD guessed that this would happen, why didn't he tell Harry or at least Snape? I found it so hard to read the chapter where Harry believed he was walking to his death, it upset me as much (nearly!) as Snape's death and then I got a tad confused after...

Dumbledore wasn't sure that's how it would work... even if he was MOSTLY sure, that's a hard thing to tell someone. "Hey, go ahead and get killed. It might only affect the scarcrux." I mean, what adult would believe that let alone a child. Dumbledore would have been starting under questionable pretenses to begin with: he didn't know absolutely that the scar was a horcrux. So, to say "go get AK'd" when that wasn't 100% definite would be silly.

He didn't tell Snape just in case Voldy was able to get it out of him that Harry had the scarcrux. The less people that know; the better.

When I talked after HBP about how an 'accidental horcrux' could be made, I thought of the AK as merely jaunting the soul out of the body, hence the body being in perfect condition -- just dead. Apparently, that part was true. Ak removes souls... Harry happened to have 2 of them... Voldy's soul is the soul that gets removed by the AK.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY!!!

PoA was the best HP movie, yet!

BRING BACK ALFONSO!!!

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:09 pm
Seventh Year

Was I the only one slightly put off by the location of the diadem, I mean how could Riddle really have thought no-one else had hidden stuff in the room when it was full to the brim with objects obviously hidden through the centuaries. I did really like the way how Harry kept seeing Voldemort going through each of his Horcrux locations just to realise Harry and Dumbledore had already beaten him to them.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, I definatley didn't think this one was comming. But I take my hat off to everyone that said that the tiara in the RoR was a horcrux and that it was stashed there when Voldy went for the job. I was so fast to dispute it, but it was right all along! The way Harry found out was a simple puzzle, which was needed.

I still am not quite sure how I feel about the cup being in Gringotts and the statement that is made about Voldy trusting the Lestranges with it. I still think it is is a little out of character since we know that he opportates along and doesn't trust people.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:33 pm
Knower of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post

I still am not quite sure how I feel about the cup being in Gringotts and the statement that is made about Voldy trusting the Lestranges with it. I still think it is is a little out of character since we know that he opportates along and doesn't trust people.
He trusted Lucius Malfoy with the Diary though. I agree though, you'd think that after being burned by one "loyal follower" that he'd learn his lesson. Maybe the cup was in Gringotts before Bella and her husband were sent to Azkaban and he didn't think that people would connect it with him.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:37 pm
First Year

What did you think of Umbridge having Slytherin's locket?

I thought this was excellent, we got to see Umbridge again and the freeing of muggleborns was perfect.

What did you think of the destruction methods for each Horcrux? Was the sword of Godric Gryffindor overused for that purpose?

I thought the methods were excellent and well thought out (could a use of dragon blood be this? After all she never mentioned what they all were ). I don't think the sword was overused, it showed the bravery of the task they were trying to complete. Also, Gryffindor destroying something belonging to the heir of slytherin, nice!

Were you surprised at how many different people destroyed Horcruxes?

No. I thought this worked really well because it showed that Harry could not have completed the task alone in the time that he had, and that he was not alone.

Were the Horcruxes in places you expected them to be?

Gringotts was obvious because of the cover of uk childrens and I always thought one would still be at hogwarts, but I thought it might be in the chamber of secrets, but I loved how it was in the ROR and then Voldemort thought no one else could find it. Locket- no lol, thought it would still be in grimmauld place.Nagini, well she would obviously be with Voldemort.

Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes?

I read a lot of comments on the news articles and a lot of people seem to think this was silly. people were saying why would Dumbledore just leave the books lying around. Well, he didn't. They were left there for the trio, Dumbledore probably knew hermione would try. After all, down in the cave in HBP, harry tries a summoning charm to get the horcrux and dumbledore says it wasn't as foolish as it seemed!

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:30 pm
First Year

1. What did you think of Umbridge having Slytherin's locket? I thought it was stupid but I suppose it wasn't that bad considering the storyline.It should of been harder to get though.

2. What did you think of the destruction methods for each Horcrux? Was the sword of Godric Gryffindor overused for that purpose? I think Hermoine and Ron just walking down into the COS was ridiculous and a baslisks tooth should not be able to destroy a locket,cup etc.

3. Were you surprised at how many different people destroyed Horcruxes? Not really

I didn't expect Voldemort to trust one of his Death Eaters so much and put it in there bank but I can't say I was amazingly shocked with where all the other Horcruxes were.

No I suppose Dumbledore would of tried to make the books easy for Harry to get to once he'd died.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone