Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Did the centaur Bane predict the end of Deathly Hallows?

Old August 5th, 2011, 9:35 am
First Year

Did the centaur Bane predict the end of Deathly Hallows?

Hello, this will mark my first post and I hope it is a good one.

I was re-reading the series and was at chapter fifteen pg 257 of TSS and read this quote by Bane, "Remember Firenze, we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens. Have we not read what is to come in the movements of the planets?" and continues with, "For the best! What is that to do with us? Centaurs are concerned with what has been foretold!..." This is all after Firenze rescued Harry from Quirrel in the Forbidden Forest. My question is; was Bane angry at Firenze because he stopped Harry from being killed by Voldemort when he had read the future and saw that it would happen, but he just didnt know Harry and Voldemort would meet again?

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
First Year

Re: Did the centaur Bane predict the end of Deathly Hallows?

This is an interesting theory, but I think that if centaurs are able to read the movements of the planets and what is to come, they would have known when this event was going to happen.
Just my two cents.

Old August 5th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Fourth Year

I've caught that when rereading PS before and I think you're right. Even though the centaurs have a reputation as being better than humans at predicting the future, the books also suggest that predicting the future is very "wooly" so it wouldn't surprise me if the centaurs knew what was going to happen but didn't know when. And really, when they are reading the planets to find out when things are going to happen, seven years isn't a long time to get mixed up between dates when they could be seeing things that happen 100+ years in the future

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old August 5th, 2011, 5:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
This is an interesting theory, but I think that if centaurs are able to read the movements of the planets and what is to come, they would have known when this event was going to happen.
Just my two cents.
I do not think that knowing what will happen needs to be paired with when it will. The Hall of Prophecys has all those prophecys that have yet to be fufilled, but does that mean they are wrong. Banes anger with Firenze makes sense since Firenze went against their laws. I agree with Gelowo since it is an uncertain branch of magic.

Old August 5th, 2011, 5:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclonePrefect8 View Post
I do not think that knowing what will happen needs to be paired with when it will. The Hall of Prophecys has all those prophecys that have yet to be fufilled, but does that mean they are wrong. Banes anger with Firenze makes sense since Firenze went against their laws. I agree with Gelowo since it is an uncertain branch of magic.
This is true. I just would've thought that if you were reading the movements in the stars, things would have matched up at a certain time, making it more apparent than with human's prophesies when things would happen.

Still, it's not something to rule out entirely.

Old August 5th, 2011, 6:47 pm
First Year

I have noticed this as well and I agree that the centaurs did have some idea that Harry would be killed by Voldemort. I don't think that they knew the time, just that it was destined. Firenze saving Harry can be interpreted to validate the centaurs knowing Harry had to die. Firenze acted against the beliefs of his people to save Harry, he didn't want to stand by and see a foal get hurt, but he knew it would cause a lot of problems. Firenze must have known Harry was in some serious danger which prompted him to act. I'm just thinking they all had an idea that Voldemort would take out Harry sooner or later. So I agree, good observation Jordan.

Old August 5th, 2011, 6:48 pm
Second Year

I thought it was pretty clear that Bane was predicting Harry being killed off by Voldemort and thus did not want Firenze to interfere with it.

YewSpirit36 is waiting for Pottermore
Old August 5th, 2011, 7:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Just my two cents.
I don't think a short space of time like six years really means a lot to centaurs; Firenze told Lavender and Parvati that trivial human concerns were nothing to do with true Divination. I think, similarly, they would consider those few short years something trivial.

I do think the centaurs somehow knew that Voldemort would kill Harry in the Forest. Firenze says that the Forest is unsafe, especially for Harry. Bane's anger at Firenze for interfering with what was foretold also seems to suggest that Harry's death in the Forest was something they had foreseen.

Plus, the centaurs join in the Battle of Hogwarts only after Harry's "death". Perhaps up until then, they didn't want to interfere with what was foretold? Perhaps they knew that the battle would be won after Harry died, or perhaps the end of the battle was unclear to them, after that point?

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old August 6th, 2011, 1:06 am
Second Year

I never read that the centaurs specifically knew that Voldemort would kill Harry, because their prophesies don't seem to be that specific. They thought that they were simply in a lull between wars, but didn't really know when or where the second one would start again. I think Bane was mostly upset that Firenze let Harry ride him, which was beneath centaurs.

Old August 6th, 2011, 1:40 am
Second Year

It is an interesting though. I believe the event taking place and a generalization of the type of event was known (like "a horrible event will take place in the coming years") but the actual specific event was completely unknown.

From what it appears, Wizards try to tell the future very specifically which appears to be a super rare gift and (while I don't get why they go into those trances) not something that they can voluntarily control. The prophecy comes! and that is it (involuntarily).

Banner by: Dark_Disciple
Old August 6th, 2011, 3:36 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I do think the centaurs somehow knew that Voldemort would kill Harry in the Forest. Firenze says that the Forest is unsafe, especially for Harry. Bane's anger at Firenze for interfering with what was foretold also seems to suggest that Harry's death in the Forest was something they had foreseen.
I tend to agree that the Centaurs did foresee Harry's death as well. But what confuses me a little is that if Harry's death seven years from that time was foreseen, surely interfering at that moment wouldn't have changed the fact that Harry was going to be killed seven years from then (unless they didn't know when it was going to happen). Or does Bane's anger mean that Harry's death was predicted to happen at that moment by the hands of Quirrellmort? Or a third option - was Bane simply upset with Firenze on the principle that any kind of interference would change the future?

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 6th, 2011, 4:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I tend to agree that the Centaurs did foresee Harry's death as well. But what confuses me a little is that if Harry's death seven years from that time was foreseen, surely interfering at that moment wouldn't have changed the fact that Harry was going to be killed seven years from then (unless they didn't know when it was going to happen). Or does Bane's anger mean that Harry's death was predicted to happen at that moment by the hands of Quirrellmort? Or a third option - was Bane simply upset with Firenze on the principle that any kind of interference would change the future?
I think the third option is more likely. I think the centaurs can predict the future, but do not know when it will take place. It must be sort of like the time turner rules and interfering can cause major repercussions. If harry was supposed to die wouldn't he had jist died since voldemort had yet to take his blood?

Old August 6th, 2011, 4:46 am
First Year

I agree, Bane did foretell Harry's death...and I think it was intended to be so by Rowling (I read somewhere that she had planned "19 Years Later" sinc the beginning) Speaking of predicing Harry's death did the tea leaves in PoA predict it too???

Pottermore username: HowlStrike32
Old August 6th, 2011, 5:11 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandjo View Post
I agree, Bane did foretell Harry's death...and I think it was intended to be so by Rowling (I read somewhere that she had planned "19 Years Later" sinc the beginning) Speaking of predicing Harry's death did the tea leaves in PoA predict it too???
I never paid attention to this before now (after reading the books numerous times), but it certainly does sound very possible.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Third Year

I don't think the centuar's knowledge of the future is granular enough to know about a specific death, even if it is the "chosen one" being killed by the dark lord. When Firenze came to the castle to teach divination, Pavarti or Lavendar said something about Mars being at a certain angle so people need to be careful about handling hot things. Firenze's reply to that was that was just a trivial human prediction and that the heaven's didn't predict things that minor. (Sorry for any mistakes, going off of memory here)

I think that Bane was just admonishing Firenze for rescuing Harry because the Centaurs already knew that Harry was a major part of the war that was going to start back up again.

Old August 6th, 2011, 3:09 pm
First Year

I think that they had some idea of what would happen, maybe they just knew that there would be a war, or that people would be killed. I do not belive that they saw all of what was to come just bits and pieces IMO they were much better at divination than most wizerds.

Old August 6th, 2011, 3:25 pm
Sixth Year

They may have seen snippets of what was to come but not everything. I think Bane was angry that Firenze was helping Harry because centaurs normally have nothing to do with humans.

Old August 6th, 2011, 3:37 pm
Second Year

Wow. I never thought of it that way, but now you're saying it like that, I wouldn't doubt it. Centaurs are very intelligent magical creatures who can read the stars. Firenze was better than Professor Trelawney at teaching Divination.
I would not be surprised at all if Bane DID predict something along those lines, however, maybe he didn't predict the full story, obviously he didn't know that Harry wouldn't be killed by the Avada Kedavra curse that Tom cast.
Good theory though, I wouldn't doubt he predicted something like that.

MCA, 1964-2012.
Do visit my My Immortal analysis: http://cwbpresentsmyimmortalanalysis.webs.com/
Old August 6th, 2011, 5:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elangomatt View Post
I don't think the centuar's knowledge of the future is granular enough to know about a specific death, even if it is the "chosen one" being killed by the dark lord. When Firenze came to the castle to teach divination, Pavarti or Lavendar said something about Mars being at a certain angle so people need to be careful about handling hot things. Firenze's reply to that was that was just a trivial human prediction and that the heaven's didn't predict things that minor. (Sorry for any mistakes, going off of memory here)

I think that Bane was just admonishing Firenze for rescuing Harry because the Centaurs already knew that Harry was a major part of the war that was going to start back up again.
Yes, but that really WAS something trivial, made up my silly frauds like Trelawney (she doesn't even REMEMBER her real prophesies) so that when someone burns themselves, they can go "wow! She was right!" and if they didn't burn themselves, they just wouldn't think about it again, or would assume they were "careful" enough.

Harry's death however was pivotal in the destruction of the Dark Lord, whose reign caused great strife for more than just wizardkind. It affected muggles, magical creatures, everyone.

It was not "trivial." If Harry was the one destined to die to kill Voldemort, then his life is important enough to be specifically mentioned.

Also, I think everyone has made a valid point. 6 years isn't too long, so I suppose they could've had trouble predicting the exact time.

Besides, I really like this theory.

Old August 30th, 2011, 4:45 pm
Second Year

Yeah those centaurs believe in all that mumbo jumbo I think the most likely knew a war was coming, and that Harry would die. They knew what was coming, generally, just not the details. I having the centaurs know about the war and voldemort would be just the kind of thing Rowling would've put in there. Would be a good question to ask her!

Pottermore: ShadowMagic
And because everyone loves a bit of Disney blog magic: Just a Spoonful of Sugar
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone