Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Would you want to be Harry Potter?

Old November 15th, 2011, 6:50 pm
First Year

Would you want to be Harry Potter?

This may sound like a silly question but I just wanted to know. What I mean is would you like to be in his place, like get all the attention and everybody looking at your forehead......Think about the good things and bad things before you write. The good things would be: all the exciting thing happening to you, being The Chosen One and etc. The bad things are probably that: you get too much attention and you're so popular that people always look at you and your scar and go like 'Are you who I think you are?' and all that.

I just want to know what you think about it. And don't forget that Harry is probably the best Seeker in Hogwarts!

It is our choices... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.

Of course this is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

Albus Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2011, 1:38 am
Sixth Year

Re: Would you want to be Harry Potter?

Weighing out all the good and the bad, I would have to say no. As awesome of a person that I think Harry is, I would rather blend into the background. I don't like drawing a lot of attention to myself, although I think we can all agree that Harry didn't ask for it.

Old November 16th, 2011, 3:34 am
Second Year

No if I was given the option. But I feel if i was forced then I wouldn't do too terrible in his place. still its better to have him be him. There are many things I would have approached differently then what he did, but oh well.

Old November 16th, 2011, 3:36 am
Sixth Year

No, I wouldn't. Not only would there be unwanted attention, but I don't think I'd want to grow up without any parents. Harry does have some good qualities, but the tragedies in his life and the constant danger he's in throughout the series are the biggest reasons why I'd rather be myself.

Old November 16th, 2011, 3:46 am
Second Year

I wouldn't either. I wouldn't want to go through all the events Harry went through, especially with Voldemort. I would be terrified and probably would go into be too scared to face Voldemort. I also don't like all the attention and would rather be someone like Ron.

Lightnox167
12¼ inches, Hawthorn, Unicorn Hair core, unyielding

Old November 16th, 2011, 3:50 am
Sixth Year

But let's remember that Harry never asked for any attention for himself. He simply didn't want it in some cases.

Old November 16th, 2011, 4:29 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
But let's remember that Harry never asked for any attention for himself. He simply didn't want it in some cases.
Exactly; and that's why I wouldn't want to be him. I don't like being in limelight all the time; if I was looking for attention, I want it to be under my own circumstances (i.e. I won an award or, taking limelight literally, am on stage performing.) I also do not want the pressure of being a leader and having everyone look to me for help.

I think we can agree that life ended up pretty well for Harry, but it started out horribly, losing his parents and being raised by the Dursleys. Of all that Harry has gone through, this is by far the worst, IMO, and I definitely would not be as strong as he was.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old November 16th, 2011, 4:37 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
I agree. There is only one occasion on which I would have loved to be Harry. If my home life was as bad as living with the Dursleys. Then I would by all means love to be Harry and go away to Hogwarts!

Old November 16th, 2011, 4:48 am
Third Year

Quote:
The good things would be: all the exciting thing happening to you, being The Chosen One and etc
That's why I wouldn't. What a lot of people seem to forget (not saying you!) is that the Chosen One isn't really a great thing to be; You lose too much, there is always a madman after you, you don't know if people want you for your fame or friendship... Heck, even if you have the possibility to be the chosen one you get shafted.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old November 16th, 2011, 4:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Yes. I think it would be good to be Harry. Sure he had a lot of problems at first, but he overcame them. And I think he became a better person because of them. If harry had grown up in a proper wizarding family, after his parents died, he might have had more people making a big deal over him. By growing up with the Dursleys, Harry learned to appreciate the little things in life. He learned to accept people like Neville, and Luna, and even Hermione. He took his time weighing all the facts and didn't always rush into everything.

Old November 16th, 2011, 7:22 am
Second Year

Ultimately, no. I would certainly love to be in the magical world he lives in. But not at the expense of my parents. Attention would not bother me, so long it is not for the same reasons.

Old November 16th, 2011, 7:03 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Heavens no. He lost his parents at such a young age and had to live with his awful relatives. That alone tells me I don't want to be Harry Potter.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old November 17th, 2011, 5:00 pm
Third Year

No but I do want to be a wizard of course and meet him in person. If I really could choose, I rather be Ron or Hermione.

Old November 17th, 2011, 11:44 pm
First Year

Oh no.
I mean who would want such a life? I'd love to know all of his universe though. But that poor boy went through hell so, no. I'll pass lol.

Chamber of Secrets and Pottermore
Sig by NikkyNik. Nice n' Spicy since 1991.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons -
For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Old November 18th, 2011, 5:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

So far, I am the only one who wouldn't mind being Harry. I feel so alone.

Old November 18th, 2011, 8:02 am
First Year

No. I'm not brave or strong enough to go through half of what he did. Seriously, by the seventh book, I would be in hiding somewhere in a different country if I were him lol

Old November 18th, 2011, 5:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
So far, I am the only one who wouldn't mind being Harry. I feel so alone.
Not anymore alone, I'm in too.
Honestly now, I would say yes without thinking about it twice. Indeed I would have to go thorugh many and many sufferings, but thinking of it I would really: why? Because one of my main beliefs, that was strongly influenced by JKR's books, is that saving a life of a loved one is the ultimate thing someone can do. I am still young but if I died without ever saving a life in mine I would really have a very big regret. Saving a life of a person you love has really no price. I will never be able to explain how I feel about this in words, but I think that it is simply the most wondeful thing I could do in my life and I wouldn't exchange the opportunity of doing it for anything in the world. So yes I would have been, if it depended on me, Harry Potter. He saved so many lives I couldn't think of a more fantastic thing to do. It would be really amazing for me.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Draco Dormiens Numquam Tintillandus

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Old November 19th, 2011, 6:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Thank you. That's something else about Harry, not always going along with everyone's else's opinions.

Old November 19th, 2011, 10:41 am
First Year

Good God no! I don't, and most people wouldn't because we know the story of Harry's past; the death of his parents, abusive relatives murderous Dark Lord etc.

But people like Ron who have grown up hearing about this child wizard defeating the greatest Dark Lord, worshipped Harry. They don't see the horror, they only see the fame and respect that came with Harry's aftermath.

Check it out.
Pottermore: QueenJinx40, Slytherin, wand: Hawthorn and unicorn hair, 11 and 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy
Old November 19th, 2011, 1:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Thank you. That's something else about Harry, not always going along with everyone's else's opinions.
Well from that point of view (the characteristics I have in common with Harry) I actually see me in him more than any other character in the series, and I'm talking honestly. The stubborness he has is nearly identical to mine: I never stand back when I have to defend an idea or an opinion of mine, I always react and go on defending it until I have completely lost. This is just one thing I see, but I could talk about others, yet this would be a little off topic.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Draco Dormiens Numquam Tintillandus

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak