Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old February 1st, 2010, 5:46 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

The latter part of this scene was one I was looking forward to before the movie came out, and I really loved it.

There were a few really creative touches to this scene:

1) Arnold the Pygmy Puff: He was really cute! Pretty much how I thought he would look like.

2) Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder: I loved the way they put this into the film. Thought it was very creative.

3) The train: Never before have we seen the part of the train Draco and the Slytherins were in. I really loved it.

Over all, I really liked this scene. The latter part was MUCH better than the first. Tom Felton did a wonderful performance here. I really liked seeing Pansy too. She isn't in the movies much and the actor for her has changed so much, but Draco's gang wouldn't be the same without her. Speaking of Draco's gang, you also see Crabbe and Goyle for a split-second. They are not a big part of this movie (though in the book, they had a big role), but you do see them. Nice continuity.

The nose-smash scene was great. Made me jump the first time I saw it.

Evanna Lynch delivers another great performance in this scene as Luna Lovegood. She's just wonderful.

Old February 1st, 2010, 6:34 pm
Second Year

I'll start off by saying that I loved the little details going on around the train: Arnold the Pygmy Puff on Ginny's shoulder, Marcus grabbing a chocolate frog off of the compartment door, Crabbe and Goyle, and Luna with her Quibblers. The trio moment was fine, although Harry's line about Hermione seeing something is a bit out of place without the cut scene, but it establishes Harry's suspicions of Draco. I liked the use of the Darkness Powder and the whole "Malfoy finding/stamping Potter" was done perfectly. I especially loved Draco's cruel line to Harry before he does so.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:03 am
Fifth Year

Previous Chapter Posts:
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5

A strange chapter. I think that the bizarro-trio of Draco, Blaise and whoever the girl is, are a thousand times more natural than the regular trio in this scene. Radcliffe is so so stiff in his dialogue with Watson and the writing here makes no sense at all, they are talking about things that were not even hinted at on screen, words like Death Eater and Borgin and Burkes are tossed around without care, the dialogue is a mess and is made even worse by the awkward acting. The little creature on Ginny's shoulder was kind of fumbled too, it was very hard to notice on the big screen, I thought, though thankfully Evanna Lynch is much more captivating. Once we move to Draco, things pick up. Felton is convincing, and his confrontation with Harry is just right, Yates keeps the action crunchy, it's a shame that this wasn't better set up earlier, and that this kind of antagonism gets lost in the upcoming scramble between Quidditch, Slughorn and romance. Bruno Delbonnel also did a fine job with the shots of the train, that one panning shot from one carriage to another was straight out of Azkaban.

Any other business:
  • I vaguely remember some people complaining about Luna seeing through the Invisibility Cloak, but I think it works fine.
  • The good old chocolate frog can be seen climbing up a window during one of the tracking shots.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:13 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

I have yet to see the chocolate frog - I'll have to look out for that!

The only problem I have with the trio is that Hermione apparently saw something that the others didn't and this does work since they changed the Borgin and Burkes scene from the script. I also expect they cut a shot of the door sign.

I wish that we hadn't seen Wrackspurts, since they are meant to be made up invisible creatures, yet Luna sees them with the Spectrespecs, but I'm happy that people realise that Luna could not see through the cloak! (Something I'd been trying to people for years - ever since that script was leaked.)

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 1:08 am
Zonko's Employee

I just assumed that Hermione was at a particular angle up there on the roof to see something Ron and/or Harry couldn't see. That's all. I don't see why it's such a big deal.

I like how ambiguous that scene of Draco in Borgin and Burkes was. If Draco was obviously up to something sinister, then it wouldn't make sense for Ron and Hermione to doubt Harry's accusations. This way, it's more about Harry's paranoia and his 'instinct' that Draco is up to no good (which is how it was in the book, Harry had no real evidence that Draco was up to something).

I always noticed the Choclate frog, but I never knew that was Marcus Belby grabbing it and eating it. That kid did such a good job at creating a character out of an extra. It's such a shame he died.

I like the Pgmy puff on Ginny's shoulder. I recently noticed that we could see cages of Pgmy Puffs in the background of the love potion section of the joke shop.

Luna is amazing as always.

I like how Draco, Pansy and Blaise are framed as the 'alternate trio', the Harry/Ron/Hermione of the dark side. The Zabini actor does so much with his expression. He captures: haughty, arrogant and rich with one look. The Pansy actress seems too nice to be Pansy but It doesn't bother me too much.

My parents were slightly confused at this scene when they first saw it. They didn't piece together that Harry was under the cloak up in the luggage rack spying on Draco and forgot what 'petrificus toltalus' did so they didn't quite understand what was going on. They thought Harry was dead at first. The scene definitely could have benefited from that cut shot of Harry under the cloak (glimpsed in the very first HBP sneak peak on the OOTP DVD) to establish that Harry was indeed up there spying on Draco.

Overall though, I love this chapter.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old February 2nd, 2010, 1:43 am
First Year

I'm not seeing the awkward acting in the trio scene that others refer to -- it all seems to flow smoothly to me.

I do like the way the trio's dialogue reflects two alternate views of the Draco character. Harry is convinced that Draco is "graduating" to the status of a genuine villian while Ron & Hermione figure he's still the Draco of movies 1-5, i.e. an evil but ultimately inconsequential little prat. As the movie progresses we will find out that Harry is right...sort of.

I've heard some purists complain about Luna finding Harry on the train (That Didn't Happen In The Book!), but I think it was a good choice by the film-makers. It gives the wonderful Evanna Lynch a bit more to do and helps set up Harry's decision to take her to the Christmas party later.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 5:38 pm
Fifth Year

The first thing that caught my attention upon my first view was how different the landscape looked from the other films. It sort of looked like a desert, but that's not a bad thing. It's visually a great scene, with warm and bright colours as a clear contrast to the previous scene. It's great to see Luna again and details like the Quibbler and the cute pygmy puff. Evanna Lynch's acting in this scene felt natural whereas Bonnie Wright seemed a bit stiff IMO.
I think the scene is brilliantly shot and edited, especially when the camera pans out from one carriage to another one, stops and lingers for a minute or so. As in the book Harry is suspicious about Draco, but Ron and Hermione doubt it and thus seem ignorant. Of course Harry's suspicion turns out to be right in the end which shouldn't surprise the audience the slightest. The dialogue is somewhat strange. "Hermione saw it with her own eyes" doesn't make sense at all and should be cut.
The rest of the scene is near perfect in my opinion. The shot of Hagrid watching the train arriving Hogwarts reminds me so much of the first film

Music in the scene: "Hedwig's theme" and "Into the Rushes", if I am not mistaken. I am not sure about the music used when Luna finds Harry. It is not on the soundtrack.

Last edited by Noldus; February 2nd, 2010 at 9:37 pm.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:30 pm
Fifth Year

Thank heavens for Tom Felton, whose fire rips through the plodding drama and limp acting and gives this chapter a very welcome kick up the whatsit.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:22 am
Zonko's Employee

I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm not impressed with Tom Felton. Not anymore anyway. He seems too forced. Especially when he's trying to be 'threatening and brooding', he just goes overboard and it's kinda cheesy. The way he says every word very slowly and constantly has the constipated look. I don't know I'm just not buying it. Somebody sell it to me.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old February 3rd, 2010, 9:45 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
Thank heavens for Tom Felton, whose fire rips through the plodding drama and limp acting and gives this chapter a very welcome kick up the whatsit.
I've always said that Tom Felton is the most gifted and concentrated actor in HBP, actually, he's much better than any kid since he was a kid in PS/SS.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 1:01 pm
Second Year

I do agree that this scene was one of the Trio's worst acting points in the movie. In the rest of the movie I thought they had improved greatly.

I think the best part about this scene was the cinematography. The landscaping, the unique colours we haven't seen before, and the transitions were perfect IMO.

You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard. You really are.
Not as good as you.
Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship and bravery. And Harry, just be careful.

Sorted
Old February 3rd, 2010, 1:15 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm not impressed with Tom Felton. Not anymore anyway. He seems too forced. Especially when he's trying to be 'threatening and brooding', he just goes overboard and it's kinda cheesy. The way he says every word very slowly and constantly has the constipated look. I don't know I'm just not buying it. Somebody sell it to me.
Well, I don't know if I could sell it to you, but I've never actually considered Malfoy to be threatening in the book either. He just wants to act like he's tougher than he really is, which in its turn will make his "threatening" or "sulking" look seem forced.

The Malfoy who is brooding or sitting in deep thoughts doesn't seem forced to me. But perhaps you've got one or several examples of instances where you find the acting too forced? Or maybe we'll get to it later?

I think it's interesting to hear that several people disliked the acting of the trio so intensely in this scene, but it's a bit difficult to understand why when there's no concrete example of what makes the acting bad ( for instance body language, tone of voice, expression or discrepancy between what is being said and how it's being said, being out of character etc).

Last edited by jan74; February 3rd, 2010 at 2:53 pm.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 1:48 pm
Second Year

The trio scene set up Harry's isolation from Hermione and Ron because of his suspicions until they come to the same conclusion, much later in the film. Harry is irritated because they should see what he sees but friends don't always do that and it sets up the same dynamics we will see in Deathly Hallows.
I liked Draco who seems just as suspicious and paranoid as Harry and thought Blaise Zabini was a perfect Slytherin in bearing.
The shots of the train moving through what looked like drought country instead of the green we've always seen reminded me of the beginning of OoTP, where everything was dry and parched.
And now I'm going to go back and look for that chocolate frog and the cage of pygmy puffs, just when I thoght I'd seen everything.

Old February 4th, 2010, 9:15 pm
Fifth Year

Here are some stills of the train from this chapter:
Spoiler: show

It reminds me of the first film

I like how the camera zooms into train when Harry uses Peruvian Instant Darkness powder. Nice and natural colours and lighting too, from the POV of an amateur.

The landscape looks so different from this wide-shot. I think it's a nice angle.

Why is it a shed there (on the bottom of the right side)?

Last edited by Noldus; February 5th, 2010 at 2:04 pm.
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:55 pm
First Year

The train exteriors were filmed on Rannoch Moor in Perthshire, Scotland. It genuinely looks like that in real life. Very beautiful, but desolate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post

Why is it a shed there (on the bottom of the right side)?
It's a shelter ("bothy" in the vernacular) for the chaps who work on the railway line. It exists in real life, though it appears to have been tidied up somewhat in post production.

I mentioned in my last post on this thread that the Trio seemed to have lost all their natural chemistry in the scenes at the Burrow. The acting from all three was still quite stilted here - the wonderful cinematography makes up for it though. As someone else said, these are shots of the type we haven't seen since PoA.

Old February 5th, 2010, 1:36 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post

I like how the camera zooms into train when Harry uses the Floo powder. Nice and natural colours and lighting too, from the POV of an amateur.
I think you mean Peruvian Instant Darkness powder

Old February 5th, 2010, 7:53 am
Fourth Year

At this point in the movie, I was slightly interested and already slightly disappointed; the opening really caught my attention but instead of keeping the pace at a nice speed, a limp develops. I should say that I really do love the cinematography; I asked my roommate today, "which was the only Oscar HBP was nodded for, do you think?" and she said without blinking, "cinematography." This chapter really presents some gorgeous shots from the train. Tom Felton is also lovely as a broody Draco. Everything else is difficult for me to remember so I tend not to.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old February 5th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I think you mean Peruvian Instant Darkness powder
Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks

Old February 5th, 2010, 5:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnIllusion View Post
At this point in the movie, I was slightly interested and already slightly disappointed; the opening really caught my attention but instead of keeping the pace at a nice speed, a limp develops. I should say that I really do love the cinematography; I asked my roommate today, "which was the only Oscar HBP was nodded for, do you think?" and she said without blinking, "cinematography." This chapter really presents some gorgeous shots from the train. Tom Felton is also lovely as a broody Draco. Everything else is difficult for me to remember so I tend not to.
The first time I saw the film I was more like waiting, but quite confident that some of the hints dropped would soon develop into something more.
Yates certainly didn't choose the easy option for structuring the film, which would be focusing strongly on Harry's obsession with what Malfoy is up to and Harry's antagonism with Snape. Upon later viewings I felt that the decision to switch between several storylines made more of the characters and the story of the book really shine, even though the film didn't get the traditional build up of momentum and resolution that a standard film would have.

Also the cinematography didn't feel like an isolated effect, but something which was linked to the telling of the stories and contributed to conveying the underlying emotions and connections between the characters. It felt like it was made for this kind of film.

Old February 5th, 2010, 9:41 pm
Fourth Year

I played the movie watching the Unbreakable Vow scene between the disapparition of DD and Harry from Babberton and Harry arriving at the Burrow.
Try it youself and you'll see that the film gets more pace this way.
Oh yes, I've got so much time to spare...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies