Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old September 13th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Fifth Year

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

After much trawling of the interweb, here's Dumbledore and Harry on the balcony:

http://www.danradcliffe.us/coppermin...392&fullsize=1

And here's a description of the scene, along with another picture.

http://www.danradcliffe.us/coppermin...393&fullsize=1

Oh, what could have been, I bet the view of Hogwarts while DD and Harry are talking is great. Oh well, perhaps the footage will see the light of day on a DVD release sometime (I sincerely doubt it).

Last edited by yoshi2542; September 13th, 2007 at 6:59 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:08 pm
Second Year

Amos Diggory's reaction gives me a lump in my throat every time I see it. It's heartbreaking. I think everyone's reaction here is so, so sad. Including Fleur's scream.

The Fake!Moody-scene is ok. I think Radcliffe is doing a fair peace of acting here. I also love the little detail of Snape using a non-verbal spell. Dumbledore is... well, I think I've made my views on Gambon fairly obvious, I don't need to repeat it again.

Old September 13th, 2007, 11:41 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
After much trawling of the interweb, here's Dumbledore and Harry on the balcony:

http://www.danradcliffe.us/coppermin...392&fullsize=1

And here's a description of the scene, along with another picture.

http://www.danradcliffe.us/coppermin...393&fullsize=1

Oh, what could have been, I bet the view of Hogwarts while DD and Harry are talking is great. Oh well, perhaps the footage will see the light of day on a DVD release sometime (I sincerely doubt it).
UGH WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST KEEP THAT SCENE IN!!!

*breathes*

Ok I guess it's for flowing reasons...but still it looks incredible. And seeing Dumbledore standing there looking out with Harry just reminds me of what we'll be seeing in HBP in a way. Never saw the picture of Dumbledore's hand on Harry's shoulder though, thanks!

Old September 13th, 2007, 11:55 pm
Zonko's Employee

Yes! I agree! Dumbledore looks like he SINCERELY cares and loves Harry in that scene and feels for him! This movie needed more of there relationship and a closure to that set piece and an explanation on the wands!

Why did they have to cut it?? It wouldn't have affected the pacing at all....

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old September 14th, 2007, 12:00 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Previous Chapter Post
GoF Chp 1: The Riddle House
GoF Chp 2: The Port Key
GoF Chp 3: The Quidditch World Cup
GoF Chp 4: The Dark Mark
GoF Chp 5: The Tri-Wizard Tournament
GoF Chp 6: The Goblet of Fire
GoF Chp 7: The Unforgivable Curses
GoF Chp 8: The Four Champions
GoF Chp 9: Let Events Unfold
GoF Chp 10: Rita Skeeter

GoF Chp 11: Sirius Conversation
GoF Chp 12: The Hungarian Horntail
GoF Chp 13: Transforming Malfoy
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 15: Best Foot Forward
GoF Chp 16: An Unexpected Challenge
GoF Chp 17: The Yule Ball
GoF Chp 18: The Egg's Clue
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 20: Never Whole Again
GoF Chp 21: The Pensieve
GoF Chp 22: Dreams and Suspicsions
GoF Chp 23: The Third Task
GoF Chp 24: Flesh Blood and Bone
GoF Chp 25: The Death Eaters
GoF Chp 26: Priori Incantatem

GoF Chp 27: Veritaserum

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 28: Parting of the Ways

The eulogy begins with something...wrong really. While I do like how really contemplative Dumbledore is; having to deal with a student death during his stint as Headmaster of Hogwarts and with Voldemort being behind it of all things; it does reflect poorly on both the character's past and the film past as well. Dumbledore should be a bit more used to dealing with death. On the other hand I guess it shows how much compassion he has regarding death due to him being as affected with Cedric's death as if it was the very first time. A human not being desensitized by all the bad things around him.

The other problem I found with this scene is that it entirely reminds me too much of Harris in CoS. Knowing Harris was ill at this time, I don't know if Newall chose to add this as a little homage to Harris' Dumbledore talking to Harry about his life from a sitting position. If it was an intentional continuation of certain themes throughout the series or if it was just a individual chose, it still looks quite odd.

There isn't much to be said about the acting in the eulogy scene except for Gambon which does a good enough job even though a bit gruff. Instead of empowering the students with information, he seems to be scaring them into the return of Voldemort. Once again another aspect of the film that seems to pander right to the audience rather than rely on subtlety. The pan up into the rafters of the great hall, was alright but it shows the certain weird-eyed composition that Newall has sometimes with his shots. Alone they look wonderful but sometimes within the context of the film it looks...a bit off.

And so we have the Harry and Dumbledore moment. Yoshi's pointing out of the explanation on the balcony also wants me to see this deleted scene, but alas, might not be there. However I think there is one good thing to come out of all of this; the first genuine Radcliffe and Gambon as Harry and Dumbledore moment. You see, while I love Gambon in PoA, there was still a sense that he wasn't quite part of the cast as a whole. He did a wonderful Dumbledore, the best one IMHO for the book; however there's just still this barrier that in all his ability to be him, he still had that distance from the involvement of the Trio that the books and Harris never had. While Harris with the Trio was good even in the worst of times; you still gotten a feeling that they were close on screen.

It just clicked for me while I reviewed the film chapter. There's just that moment when Dumbledore said to Harry that he was sorry for putting him in danger. And just seeing this 16 year old Radcliffe opposite Dumbledore, it makes me feel that they are Harry and Dumbledore talking to each other. I mean yes...Harris was good, but in no capacity could I imagine Harris talking to Harry as good with the Harry of GoF as he did with the Harry of PS. There's just something revelent and consistent to the look and design of both Harry and Dumbledore in this scene that makes me believe that Gambon's Dumbledore is indeed part of this filmverse.

However the rest of the scene you can pretty much throwaway. The rest of the dialogue felt far too forced as if Dumbledore was listing off instructions to Harry rather than talking to him. This chapter is pretty much a goose-egg. Clunky throughout, a painful attempt at chatting dialogue between the Trio. One final crowd scene that ends the movie with Newall's now trademarked ability to make the person lose complete focus as to what the hell is supposed to be going on in the shot. And Harry who looks onto the crowd with a sort of lovey dovey face. It doesn't feel sincere if it's suppose to show him that the bonds of friendship has not broken and that he isn't alone in this new fight. Mainly because I feel no connection between him and the crowd that is supposed to inspire him. If I were in that position I would be thinking how could I burn the entire school down for being witness to such sappiness but that's just the bitterness of the past films bubbling up from me.

In the right frame of mind, Grint's acting before and after he gets kissed by Fleur could indicate how he reflecting on his own relationship (or lack thereof) with Hermione or him thinking about Krum muscling in on his date. Radcliffe does an pretty good job being both unsettled by the words of Dumbledore given recent circumstances during the eulogy and Watson...well my mind just broke trying to find anything redeeming from her acting aside from being alright.

All in all, it's probably the second worst ending in the franchise yet (OoTP included). For one final time we get to see a scene where it's just shot with little consideration for flow, editing and reference to what previous occured. The ending is different and actually quite relaxing and nice despite the horrendous direction earlier. It great to see it in complete contrast to the evil and dark beginning of GoF to end off with one of the few, if not only, non-hard scenic shot of the film. It is a bit hokey but it works.

Come to think about it the other films also have a great consistency with the end reflecting the beginning. If you think about is PS has Harry going to his "home" with the end going away from his home at Hogwarts. CoS starts off with being trapped his his room with the ending people being freed from capture. In addition to the camera panning into his window only to pan out of Hogwarts' window. PoA well someone on the boards mentioned how it was an homage to a simliar beginning and end to a film.

Things of Note

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; September 14th, 2007 at 12:20 am.
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:21 am
Fifth Year

This final chapter is, like the whole film, a mixed bag. It's so obvious that DDs speech is spliced together from different takes, his voice starts soft, then gets all loud and gruff, then ends all rich and soft, Newell really needed to decide whether he wanted Albudo Bagmandore or Albus Dumbledore to be giving this eulogy. Krum gives a great sad look as DD is speaking, far better than Harry and Hermione whose reactions seem forced.

The scene in the dormitory is good, starts with an odd snippet from DDs past, the bed curtains was a great line, as was his apology, but the dialogue does not feel like a real conversation, it feels like a heavily condensed version a much longer scene (which it is, see my above post), and this is where the movie should have ended. DD should tell Harry he's not alone, then we pan out the window and see the carriage and ship. The scene in the courtyard was horrible. Truly terrible, a simpering, badly acted clunker of an end scene, worthy of Columbus.

And one final thing that irks me. Wear your glasses Dumbledore! Silly Newell for starting this thing with DD not wearing glasses!

Old September 14th, 2007, 12:27 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
This final chapter is, like the whole film, a mixed bag. It's so obvious that DDs speech is spliced together from different takes, his voice starts soft, then gets all loud and gruff, then ends all rich and soft, Newell really needed to decide whether he wanted Albudo Bagmandore or Albus Dumbledore to be giving this eulogy.
I don't mean to be one of those members who start arguments and stuff, but please don't be silly. That assumption is so ridiculous. OBVIOUSLY the man is acting that way on purpose and has been directed to act that way by the director. It's what we call "range". The opposite of this performance is what we would consider "flat".

Old September 14th, 2007, 12:37 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I don't mean to be one of those members who start arguments and stuff, but please don't be silly. That assumption is so ridiculous. OBVIOUSLY the man is acting that way on purpose and has been directed to act that way by the director. It's what we call "range". The opposite of this performance is what we would consider "flat".
I don't agree. DD is barking at them one minute, then soft and tender the next. It's messy, and sounds weird and inappropriate, to go from DD all contemplative in his chair, speaking fondly about Cedric, to being all gruff like he is inthe middle, then back to kindly again. A sombre, tender reading like the final few lines would be better than the rollercoaster of tones that DD uses throughout, it just sounds weird, be it for direction or having to splice together different lines in post production. Notice how we don't really see DD once he walks to the lectern, they could easily have tried to change the scene by using different lines from different takes when they dubbed it. I should have phrased it differently in my other post, I should have said Gambons delivery is so variable that it's as if it's spliced together from different takes.

Last edited by yoshi2542; September 14th, 2007 at 12:49 am.
Old September 14th, 2007, 1:32 am
Fourth Year

Oh God...I can never watch the ending of this movie *sigh* Anyways...

I liked the Eulogy...but I agree it's kinda random that he gets all loud for a second, then back to soft. Maybe it's for dramatic effect. I dunno.

I like the scene in the dorm (Although I'm sure I would like the scene on the balcony better...ARHHGGHHHHHH) I liked the curtain joke, but to me this feels like a scene they wrote near the end of shooting and got Dan and Gambon to film (I don't even remember seeing any cuts on Harry's face during this scene, but they're there for the next. Maybe I should check again...) One of my favorite lines of the entire series is in this scene however. 'Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy' So true and how he slowly looks up at Harry's scar as he says this. Excellent.

Then there's the next scene. I usually stop the movie after this however and I agree that the scene between Dumbledore and Harry would've been a nice ending, but you know we have to see the trio again one last time and HAPPYYYYY!! WHOOO someone just died, but make sure you write me this summer Harry!! AHhhh sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns. The worse ending to all the Harry Potter movies to date (I actually didn't like the COS one due to the clapping for Hagrid, but that's just me)

It just seemed so....odd. Oh and the way Emma delievered "Everythings going to change now, isn't it" um....Newell...did you actually think that was good? No wait you weren't on set that day right? One of ur other guys directed it? No....then how come u didn't have her do it over. Newell let Emma get away with ALOT of stuff. I loved her in every movie before this and thankfully it seems like Yates has calmed her down. I've never cringed that much at the acting in the Harry Potter movies as much as I did in this one (Atleast the first watch through)

Alas we get a nice shot of the two schools leaving and we fade to black. And I get out of my seat feeling slightly confused about that ending lol.

Old September 16th, 2007, 8:54 am
Second Year

This is the weakest part of the movie, I would say. They cold have dropped most of it and replaced it with the real Parting of the Ways, that would have been much more interesting.

Unfortunately, I never believe in Gambon as Dumbledore. He might be a very skilled actor, but he just doesn't give me the feel of being wise, caring and the greatest wizard of our age. All I see is a middle-aged man walking around in a night-gown.

I just saw CoS again, and even though I can see the faults like weak acting from the trio and a very sick Harris, it says a lot in my book that a dying Harris portrays a fair greater and believable Dumbledore than a virile and agile Gambon. (In my opinion, that is).

Old September 16th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Yes! I agree! Dumbledore looks like he SINCERELY cares and loves Harry in that scene and feels for him! This movie needed more of there relationship and a closure to that set piece and an explanation on the wands!

Why did they have to cut it?? It wouldn't have affected the pacing at all....
I know what you mean, even though it wasn't a huge part, it would have made the movie a little better, and, like you said, it wouldn't have affected the pacing.

Old September 17th, 2007, 3:34 am
Second Year

I guess the only thing out of that scene I liked was Dumbledores' quote of '..what is right and what is easy'. Everything else was just..blah and I too stop watching the movie from that point.

Old September 17th, 2007, 4:28 am
Fourth Year

Now that we have ended this movie for all intents and purposes, are we going to go straight into OOTP or wait for the DVD? If we are waiting for the DVD (which I hope, since it'd make things easier) what will happen to the thread? Let it die and start version 3 or talk about something regarding the general franchise in the meantime, seeing as it will only be a few months before it comes out?

Proud to have proclaimed BOTH Battles of Hogwarts two books early!
Old September 17th, 2007, 5:10 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Emperor View Post
Now that we have ended this movie for all intents and purposes, are we going to go straight into OOTP or wait for the DVD? If we are waiting for the DVD (which I hope, since it'd make things easier) what will happen to the thread? Let it die and start version 3 or talk about something regarding the general franchise in the meantime, seeing as it will only be a few months before it comes out?
We have yet to discuss the credits as tradition dictates. I'll be putting up that post either later or tommorow. Or whenever I feel like it; also as tradition dictates. GO SEE EASTERN PROMISES.

Old September 18th, 2007, 5:37 am
Fourth Year

OT- I would see Eastern Promises if it didn't look so suspiciously like a refocus on History of Violence....

On topic-

Perhaps the trailers of each movie should be analyzed then? After all it'll only be a month or so until the DVD hits the UK.

Proud to have proclaimed BOTH Battles of Hogwarts two books early!
Old September 20th, 2007, 6:36 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Previous Chapter Post
GoF Chp 1: The Riddle House
GoF Chp 2: The Port Key
GoF Chp 3: The Quidditch World Cup
GoF Chp 4: The Dark Mark
GoF Chp 5: The Tri-Wizard Tournament
GoF Chp 6: The Goblet of Fire
GoF Chp 7: The Unforgivable Curses
GoF Chp 8: The Four Champions
GoF Chp 9: Let Events Unfold
GoF Chp 10: Rita Skeeter

GoF Chp 11: Sirius Conversation
GoF Chp 12: The Hungarian Horntail
GoF Chp 13: Transforming Malfoy
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 15: Best Foot Forward
GoF Chp 16: An Unexpected Challenge
GoF Chp 17: The Yule Ball
GoF Chp 18: The Egg's Clue
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 20: Never Whole Again
GoF Chp 21: The Pensieve
GoF Chp 22: Dreams and Suspicsions
GoF Chp 23: The Third Task
GoF Chp 24: Flesh Blood and Bone
GoF Chp 25: The Death Eaters
GoF Chp 26: Priori Incantatem

GoF Chp 27: Veritaserum
GoF Chp 28: Parting Ways

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 29: End Credits

FINALLY

We are at the end of GoF. Something that should have been done months ago had I just manned up and gung ho'd through the thing, but however much it looked like I was attempting coincide the finish of GoF with the OoTP DVD release date is unintentional and I appologize for taking so long. So now that we are at the end credits we shall discuss the film as a whole as dictated by tradition for the other films' credits as well.

Favorite Chapter: It's a semi-tough decision because one of the things that keeps a majority of my rewatching interest in the film is (say it with me now *ALTOGETHER*)

DRAGONS!!!!

GoF Chp 14: The First Task is something I can watch over and over again and most rewatchable of the 3 tasks. The most temptation I ever had to buy a Blu-Ray dvd player is seeing GoF in High Def with a large screen. You can count the scales on that damn dragon. If I were a 100% HP film geek, I would put a down payment on it right away. However I'm not. The problem I find with the chapter is that it's faults outweigh it's strengths. While the dragon is fantastic, Radcliffe is not and doesn't show as much liveliness than his SFX counterpart. In addition, while there are some fantastic shots, the chase scene after Harry gets his broom back from the roof reminded me far too much of the Star Wars Death-Star trench run from CoS's quidditch match. So with that in mind my favorite chapter has to go to another dragon of sorts:

SMILE FOR THE CAMERA

Yes even though it's somewhat of a 3 way tie I'd have to settle for GoF Chp 25: The Death Eaters. Fiennes basically made the scene what GoF is supposed to be while everything else beforehand (and afterwards) struggles to find solid footing in representing GoF either faithfully or spiritually. This is the scene that basically has my butt glued to seat until afterwards where I just left the theatre during my second viewing. If this scene is capable of keeping to bear the mess of a film before it; then it goes to show how much I like this scene.

Favorite actor/actress: I'd like to give it to the twins, but even they had some stinker of lines. Reading the above paragraph, it's pretty obivious that Ralph Fiennes got the Best in Stealing the Show award this installment. For such a small appearance he manages to be Voldemort in less time that it took for other actors and actresses with more screentime than him in the film or even the entire series. While I've never seen the characteristic of being a psychopath that JKR assigned to Voldemort, Fiennes made it crystal clear beyond a doubt. He has the best lines and no bad ones. Pattison, I should also give the honour too. For such a short time he made Cedric all the best that he can possibly be.

Anything new learned from this thread: Once again a lot of things but more continuity mistakes than anything else. I think the biggest thing is now knowing why I like and hate Newall's choice in cinematography at times. Most importantly being able to express that in words.

Anything feelings towards the film changed from the last time watching it?: It's hard to say because my feelings have changed due to watching OoTP and GoF by comparison looks like amateur hour at the film school. Keeping in mind just the thread, my post in the Cuaron, Columbus, Newall, Yates Deathmatch summarizes how I feel about it.

Quote:
The more I think about Newall, the more I think he got the possibly worst film installment period. Don't get me wrong, much like Columbus, this does not reflect on how little I think of his directional abilities. But come on, after seeing OoTP, GoF was amateur hour compared to Yates.

I mean every other director got their own little compatability; Columbus with the saccharine 1st and 2nd (which barely got away with it); Cuaron with the maturing 3rd and Yates with the politically driven 5th but Newall...he was stuck with the one that you can't possibly messed up but did in some astounding way.

I mean you have the plot of Voldemort coming back, Harry at school trying to solve this and 3 monumentally awesome no-brainer-cannot-screw-up-wizarding-tasks in the film and yet it's this exact combination that made Newall basically hang onto this production by the skin of his teeth. He took everything by piece meal and to some degree you never gotten a feeling you were watching a complete movie. Drastic edits and scene transitions that were even jarring for the most seasoned of movie vet and geek. The film as a whole had no cohesion at all and even Columbus with his bloated films at least had some resemblence from one scene to another, with Newall it's like seeing a 3.0hr movie in 2.5hrs.

It's not that I want it to be longer, but there are times when you see the cuts it mentally hiccups you into realizing that this movie is really slapped together. There's a beginning and end in every other scene, the acting is reflective of Columbus' films where there are periods of greatness with more dismal periods than usual. No one feels especially comfortable with their roles with the exception of Ralph Fiennes and Grint; and the latter even feels a bit out of place.

On the other hand, the 3 tasks were amazing to behold. Not adaption wise but as the production values really show that even though Newall didn't direct people well, he certainly knew what he wanted the audience to feel when a scenary or landscape shot was front and center. As amazing as Cuaron's but not as naturally occuring, he makes some shots look like documentarys with others showing the danger and life of the Hogwarts landscape.

In the end Newall got a very VERY short end of the stick. Stuck with 3 tasks to make exciting in the action movie of the series (as of that time) along with Voldemort's return; he was stuck with having to do things a certain way or else he'd probably be flamed alive. I give him kudos for pulling through without making it a complete travesty but let's put it this way:

If I could walk out of the theatre before GoF was done on my 2nd viewing, right after the graveyard scene; it goes to show how little Newall has done to captivate me in the film as a whole.
Basically said, every single scene felt like a short film. It is like Newall decided to make 29+ short films about Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire and mucked in all together. While it produced some great scenes, it lacked a cohesion that made it more than sum of it's parts. It felt incomplete at times. I still thought it was great, but as said before Yates just showed how bad it is in comparison.

Knowing this it lead me to the theory that:

Odd # installments of the HP series are Good-Alright
Even # installments of the HP series are Bad.

Which means HBP is going to be COMPLETE GARBAGE or near it. You can quote me on that.

Things of Note

So that's it people. As said in my signature for the past week or so, I'm leaving this thread and these forums for a long while. Quite glad that OoTP is being released on Dec 11th which gives me a much needed break from the thread and a time to recharge my brain. It didn't turn out to what I expected; especially considering that this is one of the biggest if not *the* biggest HP fan forum on the net that I'd get more input and discussion. Especially considering how opinionated and well versed some people are when discussing the novels, I had expected the turn out to be equally busy in the muggle forums. I guess Radcliffe's hair length took precedent over this anyways. Oh well you win some and you lose some.

I do have to thank some great members on here who participated the best they can and made this thread more of a success after my expectations were dashed and made this more than *just* the DarwinMayflower "One-man-rant-show." Thanks go out to Phrozenone, yoshi2542, Dark Emperor, lindaluna, MoodyHarry, underscore, psycha, RoonibWazley, Paranoidndroid, Atreides, NoDayBut2Day, Solaris23, Paper_Shoes, Wimsey, Paper_Shoes, k4r6000, Queen_Beruth and many others that I'm sure I forgotten.

Special thanks goes to Tabris93 for being the only fan of the Columbus films in face of 1:23 odds against non-Columbus fans to actually do what I almost never though would happen: discuss the films past the idea of just being faithful to the novel. As debates did open up between her and the rest of you guys, I am impressed that they were resolved with minimal interference by me and I love that you guys all have common-sense.

For the rest of you Columbus fans; you were given an opputunity to discuss and even defend why you liked PS and especially CoS. You all had a chance to persuade me or at least show me insight as to why you like the films. Instead you only confirmed my worst fears. Your accurac-ianado feelings make you want more a visual representation of the audio books rather than actually go outside and discuss the films as the art it should be regarded as. While none of you decided to take me for example to express your opinion in detail; you should have at least taken a page out of Tabris93's book and attempted to discuss it outside of your normal boundries.

Final thanks has to go to dungeonguard of which this thread would have never happened in the first place. Also thanks goes to PorridgeBoy for starting out with such a great format, that I decided to totally steal from him. Basically without those two, this thread would have probably been deleted far sooner than it should ever have been.

That's basically it. I'll be sticking around for the next few days to finish up some things, but if anyone wants to e-mail me at darwinmay@gmail.com. For those who were looking for my post of all the chapter links, no such thing this time. As said before, I'm compiling an archive of the HP DVD Chapter a day thread at http://mcpotterdore.livejournal.com/ and hopefully now that I have the time I can update that darn thing to have everything in it now. This thread's direction for the next few months is up to you guys because until the OoTP dvd comes out on Dec 11th, I'm not going to be directing this thread in any way. Even then I might take a bit of time to watch the film and get my bearings and thoughts together on the film; IF I come back at all. However here's hoping that the thread will be here when I get back and if not...well I'll just make a new one.

Before I say see you later, I do like to keep in mind some things for the next time I'll be doing this thing (and as tradition dicates ;P),
  1. Do you like the format? Do you want anything changed with the format of posting?
  2. Would you like to suggest anything in regards to what's being posted for the beginning of each chapter?
  3. What would you want to be for the focus of each chapter post? Less about cinema more about Harry Potter? Is there anything off or insulting that you'd prefer to not exist in the thread?
  4. Do you still want to keep the discussion at one chapter per 2 days? Or perhaps longer? Should there be an option to leave one or two chapters open longer for discussion if it warrants it?
  5. Is there enough discussion in the thread? Or does it seem that this thread isn't really creating much discussion in the first place? Should there be an addition to the format of the chapter posts to encourage discussion? I.e. rating each chapter, more tidibits of information, favorite actor/actress in the scene etc.?
  6. Should we revisit some chapters in the future? If yes how so?
As always I love you guys' and gals' input because you make the thread as much as I do. Other than that have a good break from me ranting for ages and ages. Here's hoping for a brighter future for most of you and I'll probably see you in December! Here's one final screenshot! Toodles!

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; September 20th, 2007 at 7:11 am.
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:13 pm
Sixth Year

DarwinMayflower,

Just wanted to extend my thanks and appreciated for the massive and
unprecedented amount of work and effort you have put into this thread.
It is one of the most enjoyable in these forums.

It's too bad you will "disappear" for a few months but definitely looking forward to your return.

Go rest, relax and rejuvenate.
We'll be anticipating your return.

Bring it.

[image courtesy of ArryGrotter]

Old September 20th, 2007, 9:43 pm
Second Year

I'll miss this even though the next movie will be out in the next months, and though I'm still new to this thread, I'd like to thank you DarwinMayflower for all your hardwork. It's great to read others thoughts on all the different details of each chapter of each film so, can't wait to come back for the next DVD.

and lol, love the Lockhart picture.

Old September 21st, 2007, 8:45 am
Second Year

Favorite Chapter:

I think I wold have to say the Graveyard scene myself. Ralph Fiennes is brilliant, and the Priori Incantatem-scene gives me chills everytime I see it.

Favorite actor/actress:

For me, it would have to be the twins. They were flawless in this one, and it's their best movie to date in my opinion. Not to mention that they got so much charm in this one it should have been made illegal...

Anything new learned from this thread:

Pretty m[uch I learned that there are more people disliking this movie then I thought.

Anything feelings towards the film changed from the last time watching it?:

Hm, not really. The movie has it's flaws and it has it's moments - and those haven't changed for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
Special thanks goes to Tabris93 for being the only fan of the Columbus films in face of 1:23 odds against non-Columbus fans to actually do what I almost never though would happen: discuss the films past the idea of just being faithful to the novel. As debates did open up between her and the rest of you guys, I am impressed that they were resolved with minimal interference by me and I love that you guys all have common-sense.
Thanks a bunch, DarwinMayflower! It was tough - and fun.

Quote:
[*]What would you want to be for the focus of each chapter post? Less about cinema more about Harry Potter? Is there anything off or insulting that you'd prefer to not exist in the thread?
I would have liked the discussions to revovle a bit more around Harry Potter. Of course, discussing camera angles and cinema is important when one is dicussing movies, but it would be even more interesting if we could add more about the Potterverse too. In that way, we could analyze the movie both as a movie in itself and as a Harry Potter movie and how true it is to the Harry Potter world.

Best of luck, and we'll see you in December!

Old September 24th, 2007, 2:01 am
Fourth Year

Favorite actor/actress: I'll have to agree and say that at the end of the day I really enjoyed Ralph Fiennes. He really did, imo, Voldemort justice and one of the saving graces of this movie.

Anything new learned from this thread: This thread has taught me the difference between book purist and movie fans. I love these books and I love the movies, and for some reason it's like a sin to like both. Also there are alot of continuity, technical, and acting things that I never would've noticed if it weren't for this thread. Oh and that someone really loves DRAGONS!!! lol

Anything feelings towards the film changed from the last time watching it?: I don't think so. Chamber is still my least favorite. I watched it about a week ago and still found myself pausing. It's not a HORRIBLE movie, just the least rewatchable out of the 4 (that I have on DVD right now there is) Prisoner is still my favorite and this thread showed me even more things I never noticed in that film. Actually I think I liked Goblet of Fire more before this thread lol

Quote:
I do have to thank some great members on here who participated the best they can and made this thread more of a success after my expectations were dashed and made this more than *just* the DarwinMayflower "One-man-rant-show." Thanks go out to Phrozenone, yoshi2542, Dark Emperor, lindaluna, MoodyHarry, underscore, psycha, RoonibWazley, Paranoidndroid, Atreides, NoDayBut2Day, Solaris23, Paper_Shoes, Wimsey, Paper_Shoes, k4r6000, Queen_Beruth and many others that I'm sure I forgotten.

Before I say see you later, I do like to keep in mind some things for the next time I'll be doing this thing (and as tradition dicates ;P),
  1. Do you like the format? Do you want anything changed with the format of posting?
  2. Would you like to suggest anything in regards to what's being posted for the beginning of each chapter?
  3. What would you want to be for the focus of each chapter post? Less about cinema more about Harry Potter? Is there anything off or insulting that you'd prefer to not exist in the thread?
  4. Do you still want to keep the discussion at one chapter per 2 days? Or perhaps longer? Should there be an option to leave one or two chapters open longer for discussion if it warrants it?
  5. Is there enough discussion in the thread? Or does it seem that this thread isn't really creating much discussion in the first place? Should there be an addition to the format of the chapter posts to encourage discussion? I.e. rating each chapter, more tidibits of information, favorite actor/actress in the scene etc.?
  6. Should we revisit some chapters in the future? If yes how so?
As always I love you guys' and gals' input because you make the thread as much as I do. Other than that have a good break from me ranting for ages and ages. Here's hoping for a brighter future for most of you and I'll probably see you in December! Here's one final screenshot! Toodles!
Ah Darwin thanks for creating this amazing thread. This is the thread that made me sign up actually (as I've said numerous of times) and I will def be emailing you. We should keep in touch, become friends, and go out and vanquish all book purists that oppose us lol. Tabris you're a great sport and I'm glad you were in this post. It wouldn't have been half as interesting with only people that enjoyed the same movies.

Also I love the format I think it worked well and if it's not broke don't fix it. I loved how everything flowed. I think the 1 per two days works fine and if it warrents longer than so be it. I think we should look at the chapters from two different veiwpoints. One as a movie and then discuss it as an adaptation.

I think the only reason we should revisit past chapters is if it's tied to in some way a scene in the next film. The good thing is Yates did enough of that all ready so I doubt we'll have to use that feature.

Once again Darwin thanks for this thread. I love your long winded posts and I wish I could've posted more but once school got hectic I had to lay off for a while. I'm glad I was able to come back before GOF was over and I will try my best to be there everyday for OOTP because I have ALOT to say about that movie I'll be emailing you soon and have a great great GREAT vacation and I will see you in December!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies