Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Old December 24th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Third Year

Re: What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Leaving out Bagman and the Quidditch match itself was a big thing for me.

Also, the very famous Dumbledore freak-out after the champions are named.

Old December 25th, 2009, 12:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I, too wanted to see more of the Quidditch World Cup. I didn't mind everyone's long hair. I thought they looked more like how I pictured them in the books. I didn't like Snape pushing down on Ron and Harry's heads. I wished he had read the article about Harry's love life in Witch Weekly.

Old December 30th, 2009, 9:31 am
First Year

Ugh, so many things... my main ones were:

1. Revealing Barty Crouch, Jr. at the beginning of the film, and the complete alteration of his character.

2. Making the maze carnivorous instead of full of neat challenges.

3. The abrupt end to the Quidditch Cup.

4. Short-changing the Rita Skeeter subplot.

5. The general lack of screentime and lines for Krum and Fleur.

6. Hermione coming down the stairs at the Yule Ball, which was not particularly amazing, as Emma always looks like that in the films.

There's plenty more where that came from, but those are some of the major ones.

Old December 30th, 2009, 10:14 am
Second Year

"I love Magic"

It does not do good to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.

'So, did you and Ginny do it?'
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

The meager use of Gary Oldman and the stoopid head in the coals image instead of Sirius's actual face in the fireplace.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old December 30th, 2009, 1:24 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
I agree with everyone else in how I didn't like the angryDumbledore.
And the boys' hair is just ridiculously long.
and I hate how they didn't have any magical creatures in the third task-just the hedges being all weird.
dissapointing
I loved Harry's long hair. I think it's more Harry than his haircut in movie 6. I also love Ron having long hair, his look in movie 3 wasn't very becoming. Plus the twins with long hair look awesome!!!
Now, I agree with you on angry DD. I think everybody hated angry DD.
Third task was a bit weird without the animals.
Harry using expeliarmus on Krum, but it was as if the had stunned him and then Cedric comes and kicks Krum's wand away! did the filmmakers read the books???
the dragon scene was too long. Why did it have to chase Harry out of the quidditch pitch?? not cool.
There are probably other things, but right now I can only think of those. Anyway GOF is my favourite movie and book so....

Old December 30th, 2009, 3:24 pm
Fourth Year

I completely agree with the rest of you that showing Crouch junior in the first scene was completely stupid and a huge mistake, they're basically showing you who put then Harry's name in the Goblet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
I also love Ron having long hair, his look in movie 3 wasn't very becoming.
Ron's hair in PoA is closest to the way its described in the book, and definitley the way I picture it.

Quote:
Plus the twins with long hair look awesome!!!
I actually think they looked like some one shaved a pair of oragnutans .

Old December 30th, 2009, 3:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Harry using expeliarmus on Krum, but it was as if the had stunned him and then Cedric comes and kicks Krum's wand away! did the filmmakers read the books???
That's what I found weird too! It happens alot though in the movies, expelliarmus being shown as some powerful spell that throws you to the floor, when at other times it only shoots the wand out of the wizard's hand. I guess some people's spells might be a bit stronger than the others, but still they really overdo it in the movies.

But in GOF the expeliarmus on Krum indeed looked as if it had stunned him. Really odd.

It does not do good to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.

'So, did you and Ginny do it?'
Old December 30th, 2009, 3:39 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyPotter15 View Post
That's what I found weird too! It happens alot though in the movies, expelliarmus being shown as some powerful spell that throws you to the floor, when at other times it only shoots the wand out of the wizard's hand. I guess some people's spells might be a bit stronger than the others, but still they really overdo it in the movies.

But in GOF the expeliarmus on Krum indeed looked as if it had stunned him. Really odd.
Yeh, its one of those many silly inconsistancies throughout the movies which make no sense.

Old December 30th, 2009, 4:03 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Now, I agree with you on angry DD. I think everybody hated angry DD.
Third task was a bit weird without the animals.
the dragon scene was too long. Why did it have to chase Harry out of the quidditch pitch?? not cool.
There are probably other things, but right now I can only think of those. Anyway GOF is my favourite movie and book so....
I completely agree with this i think GoF is one of the best books concerning plot and it is made into a mediocre movie as for them reading the books nope they have not they just glanced over it and started cutting things out of them they did not use which has ruined most movies except for the first 2

Old December 30th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
as for them reading the books nope they have not they just glanced over it and started cutting things out of them they did not use which has ruined most movies except for the first 2
Actually, Steve Kloves (screenwriter) and David Heyman (producer) are both very outspoken fans of the books. It pains them just as much to cut what they do as it does us.

Old December 31st, 2009, 7:33 pm
Second Year

Mediocre movie NO way iīt wasnīt that bad, I actually donīt think so at all

Maybe it was too edited , too much hair but It wasnīt bad at all.

I absolutely love the book, itīs my favorite , obviously the movie itīs not what it should have been but donīt be so hard

I think the problem was that the book has a lot of plots a lot of mistery and romance and all at the same time, and they tried to do the movie easier for kids to understand so, it more of a kids movie, simple

Last edited by missjanepotter; December 31st, 2009 at 7:35 pm.
Old December 31st, 2009, 9:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
Actually, Steve Kloves (screenwriter) and David Heyman (producer) are both very outspoken fans of the books. It pains them just as much to cut what they do as it does us.
Easy for them to say. For one thing they have no idea how much pain watching the movies causes me!

-eta-
Not to mention if they didn't add non-canonical scenes, they wouldn't have to cut the 'real' scenes!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; January 1st, 2010 at 12:01 am.
Old December 31st, 2009, 9:32 pm
Second Year

the quote, "i love magic" is soooo cheesy. yuck.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

POTTERMORE SORTED
Old January 1st, 2010, 7:31 am
First Year

few things but angry Dumbledore was the most annoying

Old January 1st, 2010, 8:06 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Easy for them to say. For one thing they have no idea how much pain watching the movies causes me!

-eta-
Not to mention if they didn't add non-canonical scenes, they wouldn't have to cut the 'real' scenes!
I agree its easy to say you love the books i think if i earned so much money from them i would say the same but as no one told them what to cut and yet they did it i don't believe they cared a damn.And as some already said showing Barty Junior in the beginning kinda ruined the plot.
In the book in the beginning i really thought he was innocent.In the movie you never get that idea.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 4:54 am
First Year

I'm gonna have to aree with alot of people on this. The World Cup really let down because i was looking forward to that. Also i hated the I Love Magic Line, and the fact that they left Bagman out. I liked the dragon scene i was just hoping that they were going to show all of them. I thought that there were more people that showed up to Voldemorts side in the end, and i really didn't like that they made Krum into loving the spotlight because in the book he was really kinda shy, and the last thing i can't stand Robert Pattinson (probably because of the twilight series) but i couldnt stand him as cedric Diggory.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:31 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkLord72 View Post
I'm gonna have to aree with alot of people on this. The World Cup really let down because i was looking forward to that. Also i hated the I Love Magic Line, and the fact that they left Bagman out. I liked the dragon scene i was just hoping that they were going to show all of them. I thought that there were more people that showed up to Voldemorts side in the end, and i really didn't like that they made Krum into loving the spotlight because in the book he was really kinda shy
Yeh I completely agree with you here, I've mentioned all these things a few pages back and its good to see that others feel as 'short-changed' as I did when I left the cinema. Its one of my favourite books of the series and IMO it was butchered so much that I have problems watching it on DVD without skipping scenes.

Quote:
and the last thing i can't stand Robert Pattinson (probably because of the twilight series) but i couldnt stand him as cedric Diggory.
I'm also not a huge Pattinson fan, I just don't think the guy is a good actor . However I disliked him from the moment I watched him in GoF, but the Twilight series was out a few years after GoF. My point is, did watching Twilight re-ignite ur dislike for him, or did you watch Twilight before GoF??

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:30 pm
First Year

I was very disappointed with the 4th movie. Many of the things that annoyed me have already been mentioned above...

-Dumbledore's freak-out seen COMPLETELY AWFUL
-I really don't like the whole hair-growing thing with Harry, Ron and the Twins
-Why does the maze try to eat the contestants? The tournament is designed to test the Champions on their knowledge and talents... not on how fast they can run
-Viktor Krum is not meant to be a Macho-Man.
-Barty Crouch Jr and his ''tongue-thing''... also his appearance at the start.
-The World Cup Match.
-Ludo Bagman and Winky were not included in the film.
-Hermione was meant to be dressed in BLUE at the Yule Ball.
-I'm not really sure whether or not Beaxbatons and Durmstrang are single-gender schools(please correct me if I'm wrong)
-''I Love Magic''
-SPEW wasn't mentioned.
-Harry acting ''cocky'' after obtaining the egg''.

To name a few lol

Old January 18th, 2010, 8:20 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony View Post
Okay......apart from the Yule Ball scene (which was cool, I must admit) the entire film of GoF was one huge fail! They either assumed that the entire audience would have read the book, or else they were just hoping that people would be making up/filling in the details in their own minds. But I think the result was just weird and choppy; Harry just waking up at the Burrow insead of the whole Weasley/Floo Powder/Blocked-up-fireplace/Dudley/Toffee fiasco, which was a large section of the book.
Same about the Quidditch World Cup: that was a major part of the book, and there was all this build-up with them going to it..... and then the actual game gets zero screen time! Then, of course, it cut the entire chapter in the forest with Winky and the Dark Mark, all of which was huge set-up for later in the story. What else....
Annoying Dumbledore, ten hugely wasted minutes with the dragon chasing Harry around Hogwarts, the creepy mermaids, really, think of and GoF detail and it annoyed me! I mean, it never even explains why Krum goes all gooky in the maze and starts breaking out the Cruciatus on his fellow contestants; rather than having him under Moody/Barty's Imperius curse, they just insert some lame excuse about the maze "changing" people..... which I suppose is also supposed to cover Cedric and Harry's inexcusably altered behavior.
Then the Priori Incantatem was never explained either..... admittedly, it felt a bit too convenient at the best of times; but the explanation Dumbledore gave in the book made a lot more sense than what was in the movie: nothing. (Dumbledore: "You saw your parents that night, didn't you?" Harry: "Yes". Dumbledore: *vaguely dramatic* "Priori Incantatem!" *leaves*) Honestly, guys, that's not going to explain anything to anyone! Not to mention that Crouch Jr.'s story was almost completely cut, removing the explanation for all of the mysterious things that had happened up until that part: including Crouch Sr.'s death!

Soooo....can ya tell I wasn't too happy with GoF? :P
Oh really, you weren't? No kidding?

I must say I agree with you, although I actually liked the dragon task (while the mermaids were awful), and I was quite glad they cut the World Cup which I find too long and unnecessary in the book. But you're absolutely right about the poor explanation the movie gives about things that happen. People who haven't read the story must be completely lost.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies