Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old March 20th, 2007, 6:06 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

GoF would have made a better two part-er- there's just too much going on for one film.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2007, 8:28 pm
Second Year

Personally all of them in some way or another. That will always be the problem with films of books. They never are as good, I admit there are exceptions (Godfather) but 99% never are) That being said I got all 4 on DVD and will see the 5th and buy that as well. As I Harry Potter!!!!

Old March 21st, 2007, 1:27 am
First Year

God, after reading PoA again.
It amazes me how different the book and movie are.

Great movie of course.
Book is better though.

Raised as a Gryffindor.
Thinks like a Slytherin.
Old March 21st, 2007, 2:35 am
Offishul Fan Girl

Watching GoF right now. It annoys me that the kids aren't in robes when Beauxbatons and Durmstrang roll up. Annoys me, I tell you!

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
Old March 21st, 2007, 3:15 am
First Year

In the PoA film there are lots of important details left out as to why Harry, Lupin and Sirius have such strong emotions throughout the story. The viewer [from personal experience, since i watched the films forst then read the books] would feel confused and somewhat detatched from the story line.

In the GoF i didnt like how Ron just appears to be angry with Harry with no reason behind it. you barely get to understand why he is mad because the film focuses on other events even though the whole Ron sha-bang is an important aspect of the book. It just seemed to me like Ron was being extremely rude out of the blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillbet View Post
Watching GoF right now. It annoys me that the kids aren't in robes when Beauxbatons and Durmstrang roll up. Annoys me, I tell you!
YES that too...why aren't the students in their uniforms? The girls from Beauxbatons and the guys from Durmstrangs are...makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillbet View Post
I totally agree with this...why are the Hogwarts kids not in uniform when both of the other schools are? It makes no sense; and in the book it says nothing speacial of casual wear...(?)

Old March 21st, 2007, 6:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
PoA, definately!
When I read the Shrieking Shack scene and in the book it's Hermione sitting down terified and shaking, whilst Ron tries to stand on his broken leg between Harry and Sirius and says that line, "If you want to kill Harry....."
Then you look at the movie version!
Also the Time-turner sequence, in the book it's Harry doing the leading and Hermione is the follower. In the movie it is the opposite.
In the book Hermione is stressed out with all her classes but in the movie she is "Super" Hermione.
In the book, the boys fight with Hermione for quite a few months and ignore her over the Firebolt and Scabbers. This was reduced to a few dumb lines given to Ron over Scabbers and Cruikshanks.
In the book Hermione isn't with the boys when Harry throws snowballs at Draco, it is during their fight. In the movie, Ron is made to be a cowardly wimp, whilst Hermione is "cool" with the whole thing and Laughing.
Just a few of many examples that make me mad.
I have to completely and utterly agree with you there. It was almost like in the film, Hermione "the know it all" took over everything. In the book it's like SHE is the wimp. Not Ron most of the time. What is it? Did Emma pay them to not make her the wimpy scaredy cat? I just don't get it. Actually it just continues to aggravate me to no end. I mean yes, I do love the movies...it's just... when you go back and see exactly just HOW much they change it...it's almost revolting.

Who wants to be a ferret? I do! I do!

I'm a sneaky, no-good slytherin! And proud of it...^^

"Scared Potter?"
"You..wish."
Old March 24th, 2007, 1:28 am
First Year

POA POA POA!!!!!!! It's my fave book and the movie completely butchered it! Some of the scenes are too Mexican for me.

Not Shipper's ships: ANY SLASH!

Join the movement to kick Peter out of the Marauder's.
Make Sirius, James, Lupin, Fred and George the real Marauders. Copy this to your sig to join the movement.
Old March 24th, 2007, 1:33 am
First Year

AHHHHHH! POA!!! So many problems in it, i couldn't stand it. I almost stood up and shouted at the screen!

Old March 24th, 2007, 2:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionegrlene View Post
POA POA POA!!!!!!! It's my fave book and the movie completely butchered it! Some of the scenes are too Mexican for me.
Too Mexican?

I'm pretty sure your racism isn't accepted here.

Old March 24th, 2007, 4:31 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_Patterson View Post
Too Mexican?

I'm pretty sure your racism isn't accepted here.
I don't think it's insomuch racism as opposed to why Mexican cultural items are present in UK wizarding society? Perhaps she's complaining that it's shown a bit too much as opposed to being racist about Mexican society and culture in general.

Old March 24th, 2007, 6:05 am
Second Year

Ah, I see.

But o'course we all know why that was.

Old March 25th, 2007, 2:29 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

PoA is hardest for me to read the book afterwards. I was very upsetting how different it was compared to the books. Everyone tells me that's their favorite, but I don't think that was the best one. It could've been better. GoF was pretty good.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 25th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Seventh Year

i seem to be one of the few rare people on this site that can actually keep the two things seperate, and actually appritate that they're both telling the same story through two different mediums.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old March 26th, 2007, 4:51 pm
First Year

Goblet of Fire.
GoF is my favourite book, personally, and I was extremely disappointed with the movie. I mean, I understand the problem with time constraint and trying to fit a huge novel into a 2 hour film, but they missed so many important plot points that it seemed like a completely different storyline alltogether.

*Ravenclaw*
Old March 26th, 2007, 6:38 pm
Seventh Year

No it doesn't - harry unwittenly enters tounument, competes in toununent, is used to bring back Voldy. Ultimatly, when you take away the unessassary parts of the story (ie, the bits that don't consern harry, and his development through the book), the story and plot is the same.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Old March 26th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverFerret View Post
I have to completely and utterly agree with you there. It was almost like in the film, Hermione "the know it all" took over everything. In the book it's like SHE is the wimp. Not Ron most of the time. What is it? Did Emma pay them to not make her the wimpy scaredy cat? I just don't get it. Actually it just continues to aggravate me to no end. I mean yes, I do love the movies...it's just... when you go back and see exactly just HOW much they change it...it's almost revolting.
Yeah, they sold the "grrrrl power" a little hard there...

Old March 27th, 2007, 6:50 pm
First Year

Ok two movies tie for the honor of driving me mad. The lead but not by much is of course POA. It was a good film but leaving out the whole Maurders Map, Anamgus plot was a bad move in my eyes.

The other has to be GOF. Again great movie but I have to wonder what will happen when OoTP comes out this year. They left out the whole smear campaign that Rita has going in the book and they left out the fight at the end. For those that only see the movies they are gonna wonder why all of a sudden a Fudge that use to treat Harry like a king is now trying to have him thrown out of school and the wizard world. That connection will be hard to make I think.

Old March 27th, 2007, 6:52 pm
Seventh Year

I'm sure they'll be able to sort it out at the beginning of the film (although, admitidly, i don't have much hope for that).

Old March 27th, 2007, 10:22 pm
Third Year

I have to admit, that the last 2 films have left out plot points and some parts that are not important, but I'd still like to see.I don't really know what OoTP is going to be like, but I hope that it's not like POA and GOF, but don't get me wrong, I still love the movies, but still some points left out.

Old March 28th, 2007, 1:59 am
Second Year

Even though the movies don't follow the books page by page, I find watching them is not completely horrible for me...I like that the directors can take the stories and make them their own while still remaining faithful to JKR's creation.

That said, there are some things that bug me too

I wish that there had been more class time shown in GoF. I know that distracts from the main plot, but it kind of feels like all we see in that movie is the Triwizard, the Yule Ball, and when Voldemort comes back.

I also wish we'd had the whole "Rita Skeeter is an Animagus" sub-plot. I feel it could easily have been added...at least by Hermione catching her as a beetle at the end.

Another problem with GoF I have is how Sirius had ONE scene, and it was his head as a burning log. Not only does this deprive us of Gary Oldman's acting genius, but we don't see the love Sirius has for Harry, nor the connection they have. I think that OoTp has a LOT of making up to do to make the viewer feel the weight of Sirius' death in that movie.

Even the darkest night will end, and the sun will rise.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies