Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old July 21st, 2011, 7:23 pm
First Year

Re: What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

One thing that is sort of silly, but bothered me a lot, was that Harry had blue eyes and so did Voldy. It doesn't matter so much with Harry, but Voldemort having normal, blue eyes was just... weird.

Though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death,
I will
FEAR NO EVIL.
Psalm 23
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:55 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
What i did find weird was Dumbledore asking Harry about him and Hermione.

that i found to be Un-dumbledore-ish!
Agree!!

First impression, worst mistake IMO of DH Part 2 was the fact that the child Lily had brown eyes. Umm ***?? I even started to think of reasons such as 'Maybe people's eyes' color change as they age..' but really, after seeing it a second time surely it must not have been THAT hard to find a young girl with green/blue eyes to fit the part? I mean, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the first shot of Snape's memory is that of a close up of Lily's face, clearly showing BROWN eyes. Is it that hard to set requirements of auditions to have green/blue eyes and look/be of set (insert age)? Though it was a short portion of the film I just couldn't enjoy the memory seen as much =\

Rant much lol.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 6:00 am
Fourth Year

I actually never noticed her eyes! My thing was how they changed him to falling out of Hagrid's arms, from him hiding under the cloak until the final battle! Also how they were all over the place in the final battle, and how he never finishes what he was saying and goes to his " let finish this . . . together" part. That really bugged me!

Let us never forget Those who gave their lives to save our freedom
Old July 23rd, 2011, 6:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotter17 View Post
I actually never noticed her eyes! My thing was how they changed him to falling out of Hagrid's arms, from him hiding under the cloak until the final battle! Also how they were all over the place in the final battle, and how he never finishes what he was saying and goes to his " let finish this . . . together" part. That really bugged me!
The lets finish part seemed odd so i wonder if they cut part of it out for extended content on dvd's? That's where my hope is at least.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 6:11 am
Fourth Year

mine as well, I truly hope that they didn't just get tired or the whole thing and just throw some scraps together and call it good! I truly hope that there is an extended version of the Final battle on the Ultimate Edition of DHP2

Let us never forget Those who gave their lives to save our freedom
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:47 am
First Year

I have too many complaints to list them all here so I'll list my top 6 in no particular order. Most are from movie 8 because it's most recent and because I think it's the worst film yet.

1. The house-elves (or at the very least Dobby). I was never that attached to Dobby as I read the books. But the moment he wasn't where he should have been in GoF made him so much more important to me. By the time his death came 'round in 7 part 1, I cried. I was that upset. For all that he did, he deserved so much more screen time.
I felt they were also a big part of why Hermione and Ron kissed when they did. It seems so small but it's that kind of detail that makes the books great.

2. Dumbledore's back story and funeral. I was highly upset that they didn't include this in the movie. They kind of did but it was so downplayed. After book 6, I decided that the books were really about Dumbledore (just my opinion) and as such I was really looking forward to hearing his back story and I was completely expecting to bawl at his funeral.

3. The romantic scenes. Book 6 was my favorite book by far. As sad as Albus' death was, I was so happy when Harry and Ginny got together and Ron and Hermione were showing more than friendly interest in each other. It was really well done in the books. But in the movie it just felt awkward and weird.

4. Harry's speech to Voldemort in the final battle. This is, in my opinion, the culmination of the entire series. It's what it was all about. Without the speech I felt like none of it had meant much.

5. King's Cross Station. This was such a simple, simple scene. All they had to do was literally copy the dialogue from the book. It's one of my favorite chapters in the entire series. For me this is why the series is so great. I knew during all of the speculation about book 7 that if she wanted the series to be great, she had to kill Harry. But I also knew that it would be extremely difficult for her to kill off someone that's been part of her for so long. I jokingly told my friends she could kill him and revive him but I didn't know how right I'd be. And she pulled this gem out of thin air. It was a brilliant compromise.

6. Breaking the Elder Wand. I really don't get why they did this. If the Elder Wand could have been broken, why didn't Harry do it in the books? Or even better, why didn't Dumbledore do it before this? It's an extremely powerful wand. I seriously doubt it could be snapped that easily.
And since they opt for this, they skip going to Dumbledore's office. This was such an awesome read for me. The headmaster's clapping. The final conversation with Dumbledore. The closing of the Hallows story. And the fixing of Harry's wand.

Old July 24th, 2011, 1:00 am
Ordo Lebes

The casting for the Marauder era, especially young Lily and James. Harry is beaten over the head with the fact that he looks exactly like James but with Lily's eyes, by practically every adult he ever meets, and then in the film, James has long, light brown hair, no glasses, and Lily has brown eyes. That was just some lazy casting right there. And this isn't just nit-picking, it has a lot to do with the plot and Snape's character development. So this really, really bothers me.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old July 24th, 2011, 1:21 am
Fifth Year

In POA they were keeping Sirius in a jail cell when Harry and Hermione break him out and then he escapes on Buckbeak. Hermione breaks the lock by using a Bombarda spell. I would have thought that a wizard jail cell lock would be protected against a spell like that. I think it might have worked if she tried Alohomora.

Old July 24th, 2011, 1:39 am
Second Year

For me the worst film has to be Half-bood prince, I mean when I walked out of the theater I was like, "Was that a Harry Potter film I just watched or was that a romantic comedy?" Really, it revolved so much around the romantic stuff and about Malfoy, and not the important stuff, like Harry knowing about the horcruxes, Tom Riddle's memories and most important Dumbledore's back story! it was such an awful film!

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old July 24th, 2011, 4:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
For me the worst film has to be Half-bood prince, I mean when I walked out of the theater I was like, "Was that a Harry Potter film I just watched or was that a romantic comedy?" Really, it revolved so much around the romantic stuff and about Malfoy, and not the important stuff, like Harry knowing about the horcruxes, Tom Riddle's memories and most important Dumbledore's back story! it was such an awful film!
I guess they didn't have to include the interview when Voldemort was 28, but they definitely should have had the meeting with Hepzibah Smith. Also, they should have had one of the scenes from the Gaunt shack so they we (and Harry) could see the ring.

Old July 24th, 2011, 7:05 am
First Year

Lily's eyes being brown... I hadn't noticed until I read this thread but now its all I can think about!

Old July 24th, 2011, 7:17 am
First Year

I thought the films stayed true to the books, up until the Half Blood Prince.
- Voldemort's Backstory/Memories were left out and I was so intrigued by reading about The Riddle Family; it defines Voldemorts' coldness when you think about it.
- Too much romance in the HBP. Just too much.
Not including Dumbledore's Funeral (HBP) and his backstory (DH2). Unforgivable in my eyes. Both very important and Dumbledore's character deserved it.
- No war at the end of the HBP? Big mistake. Harry VS Snape was so underwhelming.
- Cutting out Fred's death (the actual DEATH) in DH2 - not the biggest emotional climax it could've been.
- Harry breaking the Elder Wand/Elder Wand cracking - It's almost disrespecting JK's plot. That's a horrible error. JK should've stepped in and put her foot down.
- Bellatrix exploding. Ok so the duel was great. The explosion.. not so great.
- No triumphant reaction to Voldemort's death. It felt like half the battle was missing to be honest in Part 2.

They are some of the complaints I had with the films. (DH/HBP).
I was annoyed with Voldemort's death scene initially, but now I love it; I just wish there had been a reaction.

Old July 24th, 2011, 7:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
Hermione finding out that Snape was the Half-Blood Prince and why he used that nickname.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; July 24th, 2011 at 7:23 am.
Old July 24th, 2011, 7:22 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH1993 View Post
I thought the films stayed true to the books, up until the Half Blood Prince.
- Voldemort's Backstory/Memories were left out and I was so intrigued by reading about The Riddle Family; it defines Voldemorts' coldness when you think about it.
- Too much romance in the HBP. Just too much.
Not including Dumbledore's Funeral (HBP) and his backstory (DH2). Unforgivable in my eyes. Both very important and Dumbledore's character deserved it.
- No war at the end of the HBP? Big mistake. Harry VS Snape was so underwhelming.
- Cutting out Fred's death (the actual DEATH) in DH2 - not the biggest emotional climax it could've been.
- Harry breaking the Elder Wand/Elder Wand cracking - It's almost disrespecting JK's plot. That's a horrible error. JK should've stepped in and put her foot down.
- Bellatrix exploding. Ok so the duel was great. The explosion.. not so great.
- No triumphant reaction to Voldemort's death. It felt like half the battle was missing to be honest in Part 2.

They are some of the complaints I had with the films. (DH/HBP).
I was annoyed with Voldemort's death scene initially, but now I love it; I just wish there had been a reaction.
I agree with most of this, especially Fred's death. Such a waste of a good emotional moment! I actually liked having the elder wand snapped in half. I thought that was a nice touch.

Old July 24th, 2011, 4:10 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post

For most of the course of the novels, [Draco] is a minor character. He isn't the main villain (Voldemort); he isn't the decoy villain (Snape): he is just a school bully and until DH he is completely one dimensional.
I would certainly say that he is not 1 dimensionsal in Half Blood Prince.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevilleismyhero View Post
not sure if this is the right place for this... but this has nothing really to do with a book/movie difference.. but did anyone ever take notice in HBP during slughorns slug club meeting, where they are eating icecream and ginny comes in? well in that scene neville is sitting at the table eating icecream... but later during the christmas dance thing, neville is a server and says he didnt get into the slug club? minor mistake but a mistake nonetheless. does anyone know if in the books it is mentioned whether neville is or isnt in the club? i cant recall.
Not sure if it is explained in the movie but in the book there is sort of a "trial run" Slug Club where he invites people based on their family even if he doesnt know much about the students themselves,so Neville is there because of his famous Auror parents but then doesn't make the cut to any additional clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notquitesquib View Post
Why is there so little use of the cloak in later movies, especially
I can understand why the cloak was cut back to be honest as 3 people under an invisilibity cloak isn't very cinematic.

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:27 pm
Third Year

My new one is definitely that Elder Wand breaking.... ugh what was that? Its not like it would have been hard to do thing as they were in the book... that would have been so much more meaningful. But alas. It is done. I loved the final film all the same.

I am a Harry and Luna Fan. My ship may have sunk but my love goes on.

Ya know Daniel Radcliffe is really good at fake drowning.
Old July 25th, 2011, 1:04 am
First Year

I think the biggest problem is most people don't realize that the movies aren't going to a be a 100% representation of the books. They are going to have change SOME things to make the adaption from book to film . This is almost always the case when they turn books into movies. And this is where most fans have their grievances.

"Oh, they changed this! They left out this part!" Those such complaints...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorWooton View Post
One thing that is sort of silly, but bothered me a lot, was that Harry had blue eyes and so did Voldy. It doesn't matter so much with Harry, but Voldemort having normal, blue eyes was just... weird.
The only time Daniel Radcliffe had green eyes is in the final scene in Sorcerer's Stone. It was the first scene ever filmed in the series, and they realized after that day that Daniel was allergic to the contact lenses, and thus we never see Harry with green eyes ever again.

Last edited by hooktheseacook; July 25th, 2011 at 1:28 am.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooktheseacook View Post
I think the biggest problem is most people don't realize that the movies aren't going to a be a 100% representation of the books. They are going to have change SOME things to make the adaption from book to film . This is almost always the case when they turn books into movies. And this is where most fans have their grievances.

"Oh, they changed this! They left out this part!" Those such complaints...
Of course we know there's gonna be changes, omissions and straight up new added bits. It doesn't mean we can't be unhappy or happy, for that matter, about them.

Just remembered another thing I was unhappy about in the last film; the shattering of Belatrix and Voldemort. Would've preferred to have everyone see their bodies shunned to the side. IMO it would've given them a more human look. That, besides their huge and devastating powers, they like everyone else are human, plain and simple in the end. And I would've preferred the final battle between Harry and Voldemort to be in front of everyone.

Old July 26th, 2011, 12:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
The casting for the Marauder era, especially young Lily and James. Harry is beaten over the head with the fact that he looks exactly like James but with Lily's eyes, by practically every adult he ever meets, and then in the film, James has long, light brown hair, no glasses, and Lily has brown eyes. That was just some lazy casting right there. And this isn't just nit-picking, it has a lot to do with the plot and Snape's character development. So this really, really bothers me.
I agree I wish they had paid better attention to those details.

In favor of Book 7 being as long as an unabridged dictionary!

You people seriously need to understand me!

Dragon Heartstring Ash 7 inches
Old July 26th, 2011, 4:52 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH1993 View Post
- Bellatrix exploding. Ok so the duel was great. The explosion.. not so great...
I've seen a lot of people say they did not like this and I didn't either at first but when I look back on it I think it might have been a good thing.

But only if the reason for it is the one that I've come to in trying to figure out.

There has been a bit of discussion here on what spell Molly used to kill Bella, and whether she used the unforgivable Avada Kedavra or something else.

I think showing Bella turning into a cloud of ashes (at least that's what it looked like to me, maybe it looked different to others especially if they saw it in 3D) indicates that Molly used another spell than the AK. And I think that's good, because it would have been wrong to show Molly using the unforgivable killing curse. It was definitely not a green flash of light that left a dead body on the floor. Maybe it was, as some have speculated, a household/cooking type of spell! Molly incinerated Bella. Severly overcooked.

Sorry, that's a bit gruesome. But still...

I agree that having the battle between Harry and Tom take place so much later, with no-one watching, was a mistake. Voldemort devastated by the loss of Bellatrix, stunned by the revelation that Snape was on Dumbledore's side after all, and utterly bewildered by Harry's suggestion that he consider love and remorse while he had one last chance--all that was brilliant in the book. Voldemort disintegrating after chasing a cowering Harry all over the castle and plummeting together off a parapet, with no-one looking on and cheering and tossing Harry around in a giant hug-fest afterwards--not so much. And this is only a tiny part of why I rated the final movie a 1/10: AK.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies