Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:00 pm
First Year

Re: What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

i understand that they honestly can't include everything but i think that Barty Crouch's explanation really is important to GoF. i didn't realize that they had left out so much until i read it and watched the film a few hours later. honestly, i don't understand how that film makes sense to people who haven't read the books. don't they question things like how he broke out of azkaban? and they never mentioned how he killed his ather and transfigured his body into a bone and buried it. such details are truly important to make sure that the film makes sense.

also, i hate the pensive scenes in the films! they are truly my most favorite part of each and every book but i hated them in the movies! they're so quick and don't show anything! i was so excited to see snape's portion because it honestly was my favorite part of the entire series when i read it. i literally could not stop crying hahahaa.

and the last thing i simply cannot overlook, harry didn't have green eyes. that literally ruined the entire "look at me" scene just before snape dies.

"By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest."

"Of course is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxhpxox View Post

and the last thing i simply cannot overlook, harry didn't have green eyes. that literally ruined the entire "look at me" scene just before snape dies.
This isn't a mistake at all, just that throughout the series Harry and Lily have had blue eyes instead of green. So the "look at me" line still has it's significance.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:34 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakinShaw View Post
EVERYBODY who was hiding in the Room of Requirement was shown in the Great Hall during Snape's speech, including Seamus. That was one of the things I found odd.

Also, does anybody else thing the only reason Lavender died in the movie was because we haven't seen Colin Creevey since the second movie?
This. And also the whole thing with Nigel in GoF and OotP. Why did they created a new character to play Colin's role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo View Post
I completely agree with you. I think Michael Gambon is a great actor, but this just wasn't like the Dumbledore in the books at all. He's supposed to be this calm, gentle guy, who hardly ever gets angry, let alone push his favourite student into a wall.
I agree 100%

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:46 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by calltheshots13 View Post
This. And also the whole thing with Nigel in GoF and OotP. Why did they created a new character to play Colin's role?
Nigel seems to be a composite for Colin and Dennis Creevy. In fact, when I first saw Nigel in GoF, I thought it wasDennis (I forgot Dennis' name).

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:52 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinemortophobia View Post
This isn't a mistake at all, just that throughout the series Harry and Lily have had blue eyes instead of green. So the "look at me" line still has it's significance.
But it didn't have the same effect because they didn't play it up. and the color green itself has more significance than blue.

"By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest."

"Of course is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old August 22nd, 2011, 6:28 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxhpxox View Post
But it didn't have the same effect because they didn't play it up. and the color green itself has more significance than blue.
That Harry had his mother's eyes was mentioned over, and over, and over again.

The colour turned out - in the books - to be of no importance whatsoever, despite frenzied fan attempts to read Deep! Significance! into the colour green.

Old August 25th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post

The colour turned out - in the books - to be of no importance whatsoever, despite frenzied fan attempts to read Deep! Significance! into the colour green.
That was a sort of classic Grimmsian experiment, wasn't it? Rowling said that Harry having his mother's eyes would be important. That evolved into Harry having green eyes would be important. However, the two statements were not the same, and when Rowling fired the "Lily's Eyes Gun" in Prince, Harry's eye color never was mentioned.

Indeed, Potter fans are forgetting their fandom history to complain overmuch about this in the films: 5 years ago, the idea that "just" getting Sluggy to yield the critical memory was the big Chekhovian moment was emphatically rejected by many fans here. It had to be something magical because this was a story about magic, right?

That being written, it was a little disappointing that they didn't use "Lily's eyes" in Prince. It actually was not so much that we lost the point of why Slughorn was willing to breakdown and give the memory to Harry: it was pretty clear that he was doing it because of Lily.

Instead, they missed the chance to properly adapt. Had Slughorn been contrasting Lily and Ginny, then it would have served to develop both Lily and Ginny as characters. One difference? Ginny has very different eyes, whereas Harry has Lily's eyes. In addition to developing two characters at once, it would have further developed the Harry + Ginny romance. Mind you, the film did a better job than the book: but that's only because a poor job is better than a bad job. When the source material does a bad job at something, then a film makes a big mistake that I cannot overlook if it does not improve it substantially or cut it altogether!

(I'll definitely ditto that for Hallows; Rowling really dropped the ball on Harry+Ginny there, and the film really needed to amp it up for the Epilogue to work; it didn't, and it didn't.)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; August 25th, 2011 at 3:25 pm.
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:01 am
First Year

PoA!

> I just can't watch the movie more than two times because it's just a waste of time for me. It was one of the worst films I've ever seen of HP. What director could give information of a DEMENTOR a lot of times in a single movie.

> I'm still very dissapointed with the movie. The only part I liked from this film was when Harry did the patronus in that lake that was full of dementors and when that serf got there from nowhere...

Old August 27th, 2011, 1:58 am
Second Year

I guess the one "mistake" that I cannot overlook was an unplanned one: casting Gambon as Dumbledore. I put Richard Harris in the top 3 best actors/characters in the HP series so it's probably unfair to anyone that had to replace him. Even at that, they needed someone to mimic Harris' Dumbledore. Gambon did not unfortunately and ended up degrading that character.

Old August 27th, 2011, 2:39 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc View Post
I guess the one "mistake" that I cannot overlook was an unplanned one: casting Gambon as Dumbledore. I put Richard Harris in the top 3 best actors/characters in the HP series so it's probably unfair to anyone that had to replace him. Even at that, they needed someone to mimic Harris' Dumbledore. Gambon did not unfortunately and ended up degrading that character.
It wasn't necessary to imitate Harris; just be the person in the PoA book, both in description, character, and actions.

There's a lot wrong with PoA among them eliminating Prof. Flitwick and making Warwick Davis the Chorus Director. No, he's not Flitwick, although this persona eventually is in the later movies.

No Marauders background, no wolfsbane, no Snape going CAPSLOCK . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 27th, 2011, 3:35 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post

I agree with that. It wasn't dropping the green that bothered me....it was having young Lily have brown!

Old August 27th, 2011, 5:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I agree with that. It wasn't dropping the green that bothered me....it was having young Lily have brown!
Benedict Clarke (young Sev) said she was wearing blue contacts, but they filmed brown. I guess it was impossible to correct the color at that point.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old August 27th, 2011, 8:17 am
Third Year

I dunno if its a pet peeve or what but in the CoS after Ron breaks his wand, he becomes a bit full of himself (when the bludger was rigged by dobby he tries to attack it from hundreds of feet away) he tries to fight malfoy. I feel like they messed up iwth that part

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old August 27th, 2011, 1:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc View Post
I agree that in some ways he did degrade the character, but at the same time he did brought the side of Dumbledore that gradually emerged as the books progressed. I cannot see Richard Harris doing the fight scene in OotP for one. As the book progressed, Dumbledore himself became more raw and uncollected. The thing that Harris brought that Gambon didn't was the old/wise look, and he was great on that side of the character's personality, but i do not think he could have pulled off the strained and more brutal side of Dumbledore that was present in the end. And that is all beside the fact the Richard Harris was getting old, and probably wouldn't have been fit/well enough to do a lot of the scenes that Gambon did in the end.

At the start when Gambon was new to the role, i was not impressed with him at all, but as the movies went on, he became the Dumbledore (in my eyes) that was present in the books as well.

If i could go back in time, i would use both actors again, but from GoF onwards, i would use Gambon.

Wand: 12-3/4", Larch, Dragon core, quite flexible
Gryffindor
Old August 27th, 2011, 4:11 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarMaster98 View Post
PoA!

> I just can't watch the movie more than two times because it's just a waste of time for me. It was one of the worst films I've ever seen of HP. What director could give information of a DEMENTOR a lot of times in a single movie.

> I'm still very dissapointed with the movie. The only part I liked from this film was when Harry did the patronus in that lake that was full of dementors and when that serf got there from nowhere...
Prisoner of Azkaban is probably my joint favourite.

It was where the films suddenly grew up, there was a darker, more foreboding tone and I loved David Thewlis and Gary Oldman as Lupin and Sirius. The Marauder's Map was just as I imagined in the book too, like I said my joint favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny_Spinner View Post
I agree that in some ways he did degrade the character, but at the same time he did brought the side of Dumbledore that gradually emerged as the books progressed. I cannot see Richard Harris doing the fight scene in OotP for one. As the book progressed, Dumbledore himself became more raw and uncollected. The thing that Harris brought that Gambon didn't was the old/wise look, and he was great on that side of the character's personality, but i do not think he could have pulled off the strained and more brutal side of Dumbledore that was present in the end. And that is all beside the fact the Richard Harris was getting old, and probably wouldn't have been fit/well enough to do a lot of the scenes that Gambon did in the end.

At the start when Gambon was new to the role, i was not impressed with him at all, but as the movies went on, he became the Dumbledore (in my eyes) that was present in the books as well.

If i could go back in time, i would use both actors again, but from GoF onwards, i would use Gambon.
I have to agree with you, yes, the scene in GoF where he almost attacks Harry is a little over the top as well as the frantic run over to him.

But he brought a lot of energy to the role, and I really liked him in the other films, he was great in HBP, especially in the cave just as I had imagined Dumbledore reacting.

"Its the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
Pottermore: DawnWolfsbane66
Old September 16th, 2011, 8:08 pm
First Year

I don't know if this fits in with what everyone else is saying but in GoF the nook says the whole school goes down for the tri-wizard tournament and I thought the same had happened in the film... but if you look carefully when Harry is being chased by the Hungarian Horntail there are people milling around in the Hogwarts courtyard...this may have been deliberate but I did not like it

'A funny memory can get you through anything!'~ me

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure

discendum rideat vivamus amorem ~MY MOTTO
Old August 25th, 2012, 9:43 pm
Second Year

Many... that I remember especially when I see the movies again, but those that come to mind now are: Hermione and Wormtail say Voldemort instead of “You-know-who” (Hermione in Philosopher's Stone, and Wormtail in Goblet of Fire).
Lily's eyes (brown when she was a child, blue when she was a woman, and... in the books her eyes are green!!!)

Old August 26th, 2012, 12:53 am
Second Year

Lily and Harry not having the same eye colour and teenaged James not looking anything like Harry.

Pottermore name: AshJinx7349
Old September 4th, 2012, 7:27 pm
First Year

This may have already been mentioned, but I find it difficult to reconcile how Harry had no clue about Dumbledore's brother Abeforth until DH1 movie. The trio goes to the Hogs Head in OotP, and the bartender is shown with the goat, which for those who have read the books assume might be Abeforth.

I can see Harry perhaps not knowing about Ariana until DH2, but that is a stretch as well.

Sing a song, a song of life, lived without regret, tell the ones, the ones I loved, I never will forget.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaMatthews View Post
Lily and Harry not having the same eye colour and teenaged James not looking anything like Harry.
The casting directors do their best to match characters, but some things just aren't possible.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies