Old February 28th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Uniforms, yes. Costumes, no.

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2011, 6:55 pm
Third Year

Forty-seven days until I visit! I have read through the posts of people who have visited the park and was curious if I could get some input. I am going over Spring Break so I realize it is going to be crazy. I am going with a friend who has made a point of mentioning that we will be visiting the rest of the park as well whenever I talk about how excited I am to see Hogwarts et al. We've both been before and I'm all for riding other rides, but I don't want to feel at all rushed when I'm visiting HP land! It's the whole reason I planned the vacation in the first place.

Our plan right now is to go straight to the castle in the morning, maybe window shop and ride some of the other rides, go back into the main park, then come back in the evening to ride more rides, go into the shops (if they're open), eat and see the castle lit up. I'm a little worried about our plan. I REALLY want to see Hogwarts at night, but a previous poster said they couldn't reenter 'cos there were too many people. Has anyone else experienced this? Additionally, how late are the stores open? Can you do dinner at the Three Broomsticks? I cannot believe it is so close. We booked our tickets and started planning back in August. It's so hard to believe April is just around the corner!

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old February 28th, 2011, 8:31 pm
Registered Animagus

I was very annoyed that they weren't letting people back in there because i also wanted to see the castle up close at night. I had to make do with seeing it from afar though i guess it wasn't too far but i still would have liked to get up close again.

I didn't particularly believe the guy that it was so busy back there. It is going to be so much worse during March i just can't imagine. I don't think they should do that anyways. There is no reason to control traffic in that way.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:24 am
Third Year

Wow it has been a long time since I've posted in here...

Hey guys, I was wondering If they are planning to make Diagon Alley don't you think they will have to stay very close to canon? I'm pretty sure the pathways in Hogsmeade were obviously extended to make room for the expected larger crowds for the park. I can't remember if they were specifically described in the books but going by a typical British street and from what we saw in the movies, Hogsmeade is a much smaller and closer knitted village. I think it's smart that they didn't just keep the scale of the village but surely Diagon Alley is a completely different issue? Diagon Alley is an iconic landmark that is instantly recognised and loved by all the fans. I trust them to do a fantastic job in creating the look of the place right down to the detail but how crowded will Diagon Alley become if they keep to the canon of the narrow, rickety, crowded alley? If they do it any other way... well it just won't be Diagon Alley would it?

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old March 5th, 2011, 1:45 am
First Year

On the 16th of February I had the amazing privilege of entering the Wizarding World of Harry Potter 2 hours before entrance time.

We arrived at the car park at 6:45am with our special invitation envelope and went right to the front car park, not many other cars there apart from in the staff car park. I dressed up in full Gryffindor uniform besides the robes. We got to the gates for 7am and were taken down to Hogsmeade with less than 30 other people. Each one of us was given a FREE Silver Hogwarts pin (like the trading pins you see on sale for like $8!) I saw the castle in the distance and almost cried with joy. We entered Hogsmeade and it was completely empty besides a few staff members poking about. We went into the Hogshead and got our free breakfast! Orange juice - good, I thought it was free butterbeer at first! Not that lucky! We had toast, mmm, extremely bland porridge - hey it's Scotland! And these Danish things which were yummy.

Then we were free to roam the street. None of the shops were open yet but it was so empty, we got so many beautiful photos of the deserted street, (we finished our breakfast before the others so it was literally just my family) I'll try to post some photos up later. The whole group was then ushered up to The Forbidden Journey, we walked straight through the queue (not without admiring the beautiful sets though! And of course I shoved my face in Dumbledore's penseive, I wish I had photos but they told us to put all our stuff in lockers so we did.) I'm not going into detail for the sake of those who haven't been but it was the best ride I've ever ridden. In Filch's Emporium we bought the ride photo and I've have such a stupid grin on my face, I was so happy. I bought this cool Sorting Hat trading pin that told me I should be in Gryffindor (Score!).

We then wandered down, the park had now officially opened and people were beginning to trickle in. We went in Ollivanders because the queue was very short! We got into the shop in the next lot and the show began! Ollivander did his intro and looked me up and down and asked me to come to the front! He measured everything, including my nose?! Asked a few questions like my birthday, if this was my first wand etc. I was asked to do Lumos and caused thunder and lightning. I was asked to do aguamenti but the flowers died. Eventually I had the right wand and the wind blew and the light shone, I received MY wand. It's a Unicorn-hair, Ash, Not sure of the length, need to measure it! I've got the video of my wand choosing so I need to watch it again to hear what length he said it was! I love it though. It fits my hand exactly. The handle has grooves on it that fit my fingers exactly. I really believe the wand chooses the witch!

I went next door and bought my wand, a nearby kid was complaining to his dad saying "Why has that girl got a dusty wand?!" I guess he didn't get to go in the shop. I really wanted to keep the "Ollivander Dust" but it rubbed off in my suitcase! I also bought Gryffindor Robes which I have been saving for, for months. I wore them straight away. I also bought a glass for my HP loving friend, it's really a beautiful glass with all the house crests on it. We bought some postcards just to get the owl post stamp but didn't mail them.
We then went on Dragon Challenge. There was no queue whatsoever for the normal seats so we decided to wait for a few minutes for the front seat of the red dragon! It was amazing on the front as it looks like you are going to collide with the other coaster. (I took my robes off for this!)
We then went to explore in Zonko's. Lots of amazing things in there but didn't buy anything. Then went into Honeydukes and bought Bertie Botts and a Choc Frog. They were both about $10 each but I felt they were worth it. The chocolate frog was solid! Not hollow which I expected so that was great. Also the wizard card is almost worth the money on its own! I got Godric Gryffindor and I feel this only confirms further that I should be in that house!
I shared my Bertie Botts with my friends today and it provide literally hours of entertainment! All of them taste so much like what they are supposed to be! Here is just some of the flavours:
Bogies - OK I don't know what bogies taste like, but this bean was VILE. Funny to watch others eat it.
Rotten Egg - Made my friend almost vomit, it made my eyes water. Worst thing i've ever tasted, but that's all part of the fun!
Vomit - actually tastes like vomit. Definitely makes you feel sick.
Earwax - "Alas Earwax!" must be said while eating this one. Tastes nasty.
Some nicer flavours include blueberry, cherry and watermelon. My only complaint with these is that the proportion of nasty flavours to good flavours is crazy! There is only a couple of each bad flavour and loads of the good flavours and I think all the fun is with the bad ones! Or maybe it was just my box? Anyway if in doubt, BUY THEM! So much fun, even after your visit to WWoHP is over!

Anyway after our visit to Honeydukes we went to the car (it was about 12pm by this time) I changed out of my Uniform as I sweating like crazy in all that Black in the Florida heat, then in my shorts and t-shirt I explored the rest of Islands of Adventure. (Very quiet all day, all rides were walk-ons.) It was one of the best days of my life and I just hope they can build one in the UK so I can go again!

Harry Potter... The Boy Who Lived.
Giving it all for the red and gold!
Pottermore: SpiritSnidget3
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:06 am
Third Year

So my friend and I are six weeks away from our trip and I'm trying to plan out our day at Islands of Adventure. I've been reading a lot of the reviews and recaps of trips many of you have gone on. How long did you spend at the Wizarding World? Half a day? A couple hours? I'm definitely the bigger HP enthusiast and while my friend is excited to see it all she wants to ride a bunch of the other rides at IoA. I don't want to be pressed for time or feel rushed and want to make sure we plan accordingly.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:09 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
So my friend and I are six weeks away from our trip and I'm trying to plan out our day at Islands of Adventure. I've been reading a lot of the reviews and recaps of trips many of you have gone on. How long did you spend at the Wizarding World? Half a day? A couple hours? I'm definitely the bigger HP enthusiast and while my friend is excited to see it all she wants to ride a bunch of the other rides at IoA. I don't want to be pressed for time or feel rushed and want to make sure we plan accordingly.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
I spent practically the entire time I was there at the Wizarding World, which was from about 1-10. I definitely could've stayed longer. As an HP enthusiast, you'll probably just want to do everything over and over again because you'll be so awestruck by it.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:39 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley9 View Post
I spent practically the entire time I was there at the Wizarding World, which was from about 1-10. I definitely could've stayed longer. As an HP enthusiast, you'll probably just want to do everything over and over again because you'll be so awestruck by it.
That's what I was afraid of. My friend does not want to spend the whole day there.

I think we're currently planning on going in the morning and then coming back in the evening. I'm hoping that will give me enough time.

Old March 7th, 2011, 2:02 am
Registered Animagus

Islands of adventure really doesn't have that many rides so i think the HP part is really the best part of the park.

Old March 7th, 2011, 2:49 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Islands of adventure really doesn't have that many rides so i think the HP part is really the best part of the park.
Islands of Adventure has numerous rides, however, in light of HP being brand new, all other rides are quick compared to HP. You can spend most of your day in the park and you won't be bored. I suggest an hour (maybe half depending on what you want to do) in each island, and the rest of your time can be spent in WWoHP. But your plan is great too - you'll have a much better time at night, when the crowds die down and Hogwarts lights up ...

On a sadder note - I STILL CAN'T GO!!! Uhgg, I want to go so badly!!!

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Old March 7th, 2011, 3:02 am
Registered Animagus

It really doesn't have that many rides. I think there are six rides. Three of which are in HP land. Then there are two water rides and then the kiddyland. To me the cost of going there is barely worth it. The only thing that made me go there again was the HP part opening. It was great and i think that is where you should spend the biggest part of your time even if your friend isn't a huge HP fan.

Though go on the hulk just to say you did and the spiderman ride. Those are classics.

For me who lives very near two really good roller coaster parks Island's of Adventure is not worth it for the roller coasters. It is worth it for the HP land. Though since you are there go on the roller coasters.

Old March 7th, 2011, 3:11 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
It really doesn't have that many rides. I think there are six rides. Three of which are in HP land. Then there are two water rides and then the kiddyland. To me the cost of going there is barely worth it. The only thing that made me go there again was the HP part opening. It was great and i think that is where you should spend the biggest part of your time even if your friend isn't a huge HP fan.

Though go on the hulk just to say you did and the spiderman ride. Those are classics.

For me who lives very near two really good roller coaster parks Island's of Adventure is not worth it for the roller coasters. It is worth it for the HP land. Though since you are there go on the roller coasters.
Uhmm... No, there are many more than six rides there, it's a relatively huge theme park... One of the bigger parks in Orlando... Roller coasters do not a theme park make - dark rides (themed rides, like Spiderman and Jurrasic Park)... Water rides are rides as well if they are themed, and there's more than 8 rides in total at Islands of Adventure... I've been there numerous times lol...

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Old March 7th, 2011, 3:27 am
Registered Animagus

I checked to make sure. There are six rides and there are actually three water rides i think. Which i actually don't count in the same category as other rides. Then there is the rides in the kiddyland. I would suggest going to the pirate stunt show thing. That was fun if cheesy. There is a ride in the Jurassic Park section that you have to have a kid with you to go on. I always forget to count that one so with it that makes seven rides and three water rides and the kiddyland.

Also i completely agree that rides are not what make a theme park great but i do think that the HP land is the best theme park section of the park. I mean going into Ollivander's and the other stores and restaurants seem like it's own sort of ride and there really isn't anything else like that in the park. I mean you can even hear moaning myrtle talking in the bathroom.

There used to be this restaurant that was in like a large tree stump and that was my favorite part of the park before the HP land and they must have had to rip it out to build the HP part.

All i am saying is that the best part of the park is the HP part. It has three out of the seven rides and has the shops and the restaurant which i think make it more worth it as well as butter beer and take a photo with the train conductor. Also the singing and dancing students.

Old March 7th, 2011, 3:52 am
Third Year

I went to IoA about 8 years ago (wow, I can't believe it was that long ago) and I road the Hulk, Dueling Dragons (now the Dragon Challenge obviously), and Spiderman about a million times. I went with my whole extended family for a reunion and those are genuinely the only things I remember about the park. I think we did the Dudley Do Right water flume ride too. My friend loves HP, but she's just not as fanatical as I am. I guess she wants to do Spiderman, the Hulk, the Jurassic Park ride, Ripsaw Falls (I think that's the Dudley Do-Right ride) and the Cat in the Hat randomly. We do have the express pass and are planning on getting there early and staying late so hopefully it all works out. HP is our last day of vacation (we decided to save the best for last) and I'm going to be so ridiculously excited in the days preceding it.

Exactly six weeks to go! Thank you for the input. I will probably come back with questions as it gets nearer. I think we're planning on doing the Three Broomsticks for dinner. Is it the same as the lunch menu? Anyone ever tried the Hogs Head Brew? Is it worth it?

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:41 am
First Year

I'm quite curious about a few things.

Firstly, I've read where some people say you can't wear a costume into the park, however, I've seen pictures of visitors (not staff) wearing Hogwarts uniforms, including robes. I want to know because I want to experience the park in uniform. So what's the actual deal there?

Secondly, how much do the lockers at the train station cost to rent?

Thirdly, is the park open all year-round? And what time does it close each night?

Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.

Old March 8th, 2011, 1:05 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Cornfoot View Post
I'm quite curious about a few things.

Firstly, I've read where some people say you can't wear a costume into the park, however, I've seen pictures of visitors (not staff) wearing Hogwarts uniforms, including robes. I want to know because I want to experience the park in uniform. So what's the actual deal there?
I'm pretty sure you can't bring in your own costume and start wearing it. You might be able to wear the robes you purchase there. Not entirely sure though.

Quote:
Secondly, how much do the lockers at the train station cost to rent?
They're free!

Quote:
Thirdly, is the park open all year-round? And what time does it close each night?

Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.
It is open all year round, with the exceptions of a couple select days. The time it closes changes throughout the year. I know Universal Orlando has a calendar of the opening/closing times on their site.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Old March 8th, 2011, 1:50 am
First Year

I have been there, three houres, three efin' houres in the searing moist Florida heat. That was probably the longest qeue in history...

You say Death Eater as if it's a bad thing!

sorted
Old March 8th, 2011, 2:36 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Name View Post
I have been there, three houres, three efin' houres in the searing moist Florida heat. That was probably the longest qeue in history...
Three hours in the queue for what? The Forbidden Journey? Or three hours in the park total?

Old March 8th, 2011, 2:38 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
Three hours in the queue for what? The Forbidden Journey? Or three hours in the park total?
In the que more than likely. It got that busy last summer (busier, much busier actually)...

The park is going to be pretty busy this spring break, although Floridians are out next week If I could go, I'd be going next week rotfl...

Old March 8th, 2011, 3:52 am
First Year

I went last summer, and there are times of the day where the park really seems to lull in lines. For example, it was ridiculously busy in WWOHP from 10-2 pm, but around 3 or 4 the lines went down tremendously. I waited in the queue for the Forbidden Journey for maybe an hour and a half, which wasn't bad at all. The queue is fun in itself! Everything about it is absolutely amazing. Also, I would suggest buying a fast pass. This can only be used on the dragon coasters and FOH rides, but it's worth it. I spent about three days in Islands of Adventure and WWOHP total and was able to ride every ride in the park, some multiple times. I rode Forbidden Journey twice, FOH five times, the red dragon coaster three times, and the blue one twice.

Also, be prepared for huge lines to get into Ollivander's and the various WWOHP stores. I even had to wait to get butterbeer for 10-15 minutes at one point. Overall, though, I think if you spend at least 2 days in the park you can get through everything.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies