Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Old March 8th, 2011, 5:10 am
Third Year

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogki View Post
In the que more than likely. It got that busy last summer (busier, much busier actually)...

The park is going to be pretty busy this spring break, although Floridians are out next week If I could go, I'd be going next week rotfl...
That's what I figured, alas as a teacher the only times I can visit are the peak times when most schoolchildren are able to as well.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2011, 8:02 pm
Third Year

For those that have attended the HP Park. Does anyone know if this is true?...
Article By Kimberly Morgan

"Forget the Sorting Hat: Are the Four Hogwarts Houses Small, Medium, Large and X-Large?"

"A Visitor to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Isn't Charmed by the Answer..."

"Most of us are probably familiar with the Harry Potter franchise, if even peripherally. I happen to be a huge Harry Potter fan, and I'm not simply referring to my frame size... I've even taken online tests to see where I'm "sorted" and, according to most, I'm a Hufflepuff. However, employees at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter don't have the benefit of a sorting hat when they're assigned a Hogwarts House to represent. Instead, they're issued robes based on their approximate size and body shape, based on the reports of a recent park visitor who asked an employee.

Is it possible that, as far as practical operations are concerned, the four Hogwarts houses might be best described as Small, Medium, Large and X-Large?"

Full Article Here:

From: "Forget the Sorting Hat" Complete Article Click Here

Last edited by wandrider; March 26th, 2011 at 8:29 am. Reason: Link to full article.
Old March 19th, 2011, 3:21 am
Sixth Year

My friend and I finally made it to the wizarding world over spring break.

All I can say is "WOW"! It was an amazing, magical experience to be around so many other fans and made me fall in love with HP all over again

My only complaint is that the area was way too small. It deserves its own theme park!!!

My favs:

Hogwarts- Just seeing the castle itself was just breathtaking!!!

Hogsmeade- Loved the snow covered roof tops.

Forbidden Journey ride- it was breathtaking as if I was in the HP universe itself. The only downside is it can definitely make you nauseous. We rode it about 5 times and the last 2 times they stopped the ride because people had thrown up on the benches and the floor. It was pretty disgusting!!!

Three broomsticks- Eating there was just like being in the movie. I really felt like I was in Hogsmeade. The food was delicious too!

Butterbeer- tasted like liquid butterscotch!! It was delicious !!!

All the shops- From honeydukes to zonko's, I was just so impressed at the attention to detail.

My gripes:

I know I said this before, it is way too small. The area got filled very quickly, and once it was at capacity a lot of people could not even get into that section of the park which I thought was awful especially since many had traveled so far to see it. We only made it in because we bought the early park admission that allowed us to go in before the park even opened.

The rollercoasters- I was a bit annoyed that these were not new rides but ones they just redecorated to fit with the HP theme. It would have been nice to add more new rides considering there is so much material that can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpotterxx3 View Post
I went last summer, and there are times of the day where the park really seems to lull in lines. For example, it was ridiculously busy in WWOHP from 10-2 pm, but around 3 or 4 the lines went down tremendously. I waited in the queue for the Forbidden Journey for maybe an hour and a half, which wasn't bad at all. The queue is fun in itself! Everything about it is absolutely amazing. Also, I would suggest buying a fast pass. This can only be used on the dragon coasters and FOH rides, but it's worth it. I spent about three days in Islands of Adventure and WWOHP total and was able to ride every ride in the park, some multiple times. I rode Forbidden Journey twice, FOH five times, the red dragon coaster three times, and the blue one twice.

Also, be prepared for huge lines to get into Ollivander's and the various WWOHP stores. I even had to wait to get butterbeer for 10-15 minutes at one point. Overall, though, I think if you spend at least 2 days in the park you can get through everything.
Yes, you are absolutely right. We went for 2 days over spring break, and it was fantastic!!!

Old March 19th, 2011, 3:49 am
Second Year

wandrider, I do have an answer since I work in the WWoHP

In the very VERY beginning, I am talking about before grand opening when the opening team was first given our wardrobe they pulled those working at the castle aside to be "sorted" the sorting was indeed by size. Then later on in the year like july or so I believe the options for whatever size the team member was there was a house choice of all four. So yes the article is right about it to some extent.

Old March 20th, 2011, 3:45 am
Second Year

@phoenix88,

About your two gripes.

Yes the WWHOP gets full, but I have never been "not let in". Usually at worst they create a line to get into the park. So unless the park is packed an hour before close and you have to wait in the line then don;t blame the park, blame the person that waited till the last second to visit the best portion of the park. Now I'm not trying to be mean in saying this, I said it because it just doesn;t happen. Everytime I've been to the park (which as been over 20 times since WWOHP's launch) most of the park goers are starting to make their way tot he front of the park an hour before it closes. I highely doubt anybody had missed WWHOP except for the people that visited Universal the 1st month it was open.

As for the second gripe..

Only two rides were redone and thought they fit in perfectly. I agree that they could have probably tore the flying hyppogryph down, but it was impossible for them (and probably economically too harsh) to shut down and replace Dueling Dragons. Its because reason they couldn't build the complete WWOHP all at once.

Old March 20th, 2011, 4:16 am
First Year

How long do you suppose they'll keep the Wizarding World park up? I mean, the other rides and areas become disposable after awhile, so how long do you think the crowds are going to keep the Harry Potter section in business? I ask mostly because I'm not sure when I'll be able to visit, though I very much to.

Ravenclaw

Please check out my new Dumbledore's Army video, and feel free to tell me what you think!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opH-0QTlW-Q

"He can run faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo." ~ Fred Weasley

I love meeting new people, so talk to me.
Old March 20th, 2011, 4:33 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by windoftheworld View Post
How long do you suppose they'll keep the Wizarding World park up? I mean, the other rides and areas become disposable after awhile, so how long do you think the crowds are going to keep the Harry Potter section in business? I ask mostly because I'm not sure when I'll be able to visit, though I very much to.
Personally, I would be shocked if it doesn't double in size over the next 10-20 years, but considering the millions of HP fans out there... Maybe in your next lifetime??? Assuming you don't become a ghost or are sent back from King's Cross.

He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.

Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.

SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!
Old March 20th, 2011, 4:55 am
First Year

Hey... I have a question for people who visit WWoHP.

I went last year and had a BLAST! it was definitely an experience. I had to convince my mom to take me last year but since she is a fan... it wasn't to hard so we had so much fun last year... we are going on a vacation to Florida again this year

Last year I made a list of all the things I really wanted to see, rides i wanted to go and and things i wanted to buy there. I completed 90 % of the list. Except for 2 things. See the frog choir and the triwizard spirit rally. We went to the park at a bunch of different times of the day and didn't see them!! SO im wondering... what times of the day to these performances come out?

Thanks

Old March 20th, 2011, 6:16 am
Third Year

Every hour, a new performance is shown. For example, at 6:00 they present the Frog Choir, at 6:30 the Triwizard rally, at 7:00 the Frog Choir again, and so on...

At least it was that way when I went in the summer.

Old March 20th, 2011, 8:21 pm
First Year

I will be going to the park around Easter break and I am wondering if maybe 2 pm is a good time to go there. We would stay for dinner at the 3 Broomsticks and til it gets dark. Is that enough time with 2 middle school aged kids? We have other places that we want to visit in Florida so I only planned on 1 day at this park. This is the main thing I am looking forward to but the husband isn't even going to it with us. He isn't a HP fan.

Old March 21st, 2011, 6:50 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrider View Post
Personally, I would be shocked if it doesn't double in size over the next 10-20 years, but considering the millions of HP fans out there... Maybe in your next lifetime??? Assuming you don't become a ghost or are sent back from King's Cross.
I'm not sure if I'd be shocked if didn't, or shocked if it did.
The very last Potter movie is out in a matter of months, the books have been done for years; it's all coming to a close.

It remains to be seen whether the Potter franchise will stand the test of time in the way that, say, Lord of the Rings has. I would certainly like to see it do so though. I think kids should have a taste of magic in their lives, it bolsters creativity and imagination.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:13 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPfan42 View Post
I will be going to the park around Easter break and I am wondering if maybe 2 pm is a good time to go there. We would stay for dinner at the 3 Broomsticks and til it gets dark. Is that enough time with 2 middle school aged kids? We have other places that we want to visit in Florida so I only planned on 1 day at this park. This is the main thing I am looking forward to but the husband isn't even going to it with us. He isn't a HP fan.

After just coming back from there, it is best to get there as early as you possibly can. That section of the park usually is at capacity already before noon. When I got there at 11am on one of the days I went there, they redirected everyone to another part of the park to fall in line for "return tickets" to come back to the hp section at 5pm. The later you go, the later your designated return time will be and you may not get in at all which is what happened to some people who got there in the afternoon. This may be because of spring break.

On the second day, we learned our lesson and got the early park admission so we could have access to the hp section even before the park opened. Even then, when we got there at 8am the line for forbidden journey was already 1 hour. At least we didn't have to wait in line for the shops like we did the first day and made it into ollivanders, etc.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 1:43 am
First Year

Just got back from a vacation that included a visit to WWoHP. It was, all in all, great.

The crowds were indeed crazy. We got there first thing in the morning (before the park opened), went right to the Forbidden Journey ride, and still waited over an hour to get on it.

But, we had the express passes (which can't be used on the Forbidden Journey), and were able to ride Flight of the Hippogriff and Dragon Challenge twice, with no lines to speak of.

I'm quite partial to butterbeer, and the food at the 3 Broomsticks is pretty good for an amusement park. Pumpkin juice... not so good.

Zonkos and Honeydukes were both very good starts, but both need to be larger and have a better selection. Cauldron cakes are the BOMB!

Fortunately, there were carts that sold wands, so my son didn't have to wait in line for Ollivander's.

In general, WWoHP is great - many nice details here and there. It did bother me to see a door marked "kitchens", though.... a house elf peeking around a tapestry featuring fruit would have been better.

It's a bit small and crowded, but worth a visit for sure!

Old March 23rd, 2011, 4:08 am
Second Year

Eep! I'm going in two weeks! How was the weather in Florida?

Old March 23rd, 2011, 2:13 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvkari View Post
Eep! I'm going in two weeks! How was the weather in Florida?
Very nice! It's not very humid and it's been in the upper 70's and low 80's with no rain lately. It should be around the same in two weeks, maybe a bit hotter, but still comfortable.

I'm probably going again this summer with my parents. They haven't been there yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a pygmy puff this time.

Old March 24th, 2011, 1:26 am
Third Year

A little less than four weeks to go for me!!!

No progress yet on getting the gal I'm going with to relent on all the other rides she wants to go on in the park. The whole reason we booked this vacation is to see the Wizarding World so I hope she realizes I will NOT be rushed through that place.

Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Old March 24th, 2011, 1:47 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
No progress yet on getting the gal I'm going with to relent on all the other rides she wants to go on in the park. The whole reason we booked this vacation is to see the Wizarding World so I hope she realizes I will NOT be rushed through that place.
I know what you mean. Taking trips with other people can be tricky, especially when there are different interests to cater to.

I am going with my family. My mom and sister are just as excited as I am, and will spend the day with me. But, my brother and dad haven't read the books have barely seen the movies.

I think the plan is for them to come with us until they get sick of it. Then they can go explore other places while we are geeking out on Harry Potter stuff, as we have never been to Florida.

Old March 24th, 2011, 2:56 am
Second Year

Quote:
A little less than four weeks to go for me!!!

You may not ahve a problem. If you are not staying at the hotel and/or you dont have the early pass then I would suggest going to the other parts of the park first. When you enter Islands of adventures go to the left, not the right and visit the other islands. Then, when you finally reach WWHOP spend the rest of the day there.

Old March 24th, 2011, 3:01 am
Third Year

We're staying at a Universal resort (Loews Royal Pacific) so I think we do get their early and we have the Express Pass. We'll probably be fine. As my friend said "we're not going to spend 10 hours in that one section of the park". I know I'll want to ride the Forbidden Journey more than once though.

Old March 25th, 2011, 2:54 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
We're staying at a Universal resort (Loews Royal Pacific) so I think we do get their early and we have the Express Pass. We'll probably be fine. As my friend said "we're not going to spend 10 hours in that one section of the park". I know I'll want to ride the Forbidden Journey more than once though.
That was where we stayed as well. It is a beautiful hotel. With the early park admission and express pass you should be golden. The express pass doesn't work for forbidden journey but it does for many others and it is fantastic. Definitely make use of that early park admission. It was the only time we actually got to browse thru honey dukes comfortably, make it into ollivanders at a reasonable amount of time. We actually stayed at the hp section first, and when we were sure we had our fill for that day, went to spiderman and the other rides.

There were a lot of people who would just sit on the benches and walls, in quid ditch or house robes, drinking butter beer and just soaking in the atmosphere. At one point, my friends and I did the same. It was so magical and dreamy to just be there. I really felt like I was in hogsmeade. I can't wait to go back again someday.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies