Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Could Snape be abusing Felix Felicis?

Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:12 pm
Third Year

Re: Could Snape be abusing Felix Felicis?

It's an interesting theory, but ''However, if taken in excess the potion causes giddiness, recklessness, and dangerous overconfidence, and it is highly toxic in large quantities.''

Snape is not giddy or reckless.

So, I don't think that Snape is downing bottles of FF on a regular basis, I just think he saw that he was a little intelligent (especially in DADA and Potions) so his ego grew a little.

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:55 pm
Second Year

So...

Dec 18: Harry/Voldemort/Nagini attack Arthur Weasley
Dec 25: Bode sent Devil's Snare
Jan 11: Snape informs Harry about occulmency lessons
Jan 13: Bode killed
Feb 24: Harry dreams of Voldemort learning through Rookwood that Bode can't remove "it"
mid-April: Dumbledore is removed and umbridge replaces him
mid-April +2: occulmency stops

This is the timeline that goes with my theory. If I'm right, Felix has to be started somewhere around the beginning of March or the end of February. After all, Slughorn could have the potion around for a little before he shows the students. Actually, the potion was probably started just after Febuary 25, when Harry's memory of the dream was revealed during Occulmency lessons. That would put the 6-month mark at August 26 or 27, taking into accout that 1996 was a leap year. This is about six weeks after the meeting with Slughorn and one week before school started.

Don't know if that helps or not, but it should give some idea on timing of my theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateLogic
Are you sure?... (this is sarcasm) Yes, that is quite an understatement. The position I know others have been taking on this is that Snape, being a genius at potions, is able to counteract the side effects, as he has in other potions.

Last edited by Kerry; May 23rd, 2007 at 10:59 pm. Reason: wouldn't you like to know...
Old May 24th, 2007, 5:50 am
Fourth Year

I like this idea! it is very well thought out.
I think that it is likley that he used it in hbp to get past the fight and to kill dumbledore, and then to get away. but i think it was just emphasizing the chaos of the situation, and how much better snape is at magic than harry. also, he didn't seem to be "under the influence" when he killed dumbledore.

I don't think it is likely that he used it to get to harry in the beginning of hbp. as it is stated, it is a silly thing to want to embarrass harry then at the beginning of the year, so badly that he took a lucky potion for it. he probably just took the oppurtunity to get harry in trouble, like he has done numerous times before. it wasn't like he was out to get harry in trouble the first day, so he created a potion that would allow him to do that. harry came with the trouble, and snape probably overheard draco talking about it, so he smirked to himself and went to fetch harry.

i think i a more likely time that he would take it is when he was in spinner's end. he certainly seems overconfident then, because he answers all the questions easily and without appearing defensive in the slightest, kind of how harry is in the end of the book. and takes the unbreakable vow. it seems possible that the felix felicis was nudging him that he had to do this. also, maybe he took it in GoF when he went to meet voldemort for the first time (and maybe other times with voldemort and the death eaters) because it could have whispered the right things to do and say into his mind.

Old May 25th, 2007, 3:27 am
Third Year

He could have, but Snape knows very well the effects of Felix...It just doesn't make sense. I woul think that Snape would have acted differently if he was using Felix. This scene was, for Snape, a life turning one where he shows "loyalty" (snape is good!) to the DEs. If Felix was clouding his judgement...

Old May 29th, 2007, 8:47 pm
Second Year

Clouding his judgement...or clearing it?

We have to look at perspective here when we say the move to the DE's was wrong--a product of "clouded judgement."

From Harry's--and therefore, our--point of view, yes the move toward the DE's is incriminating and seems wrong. For most of the sane world, that would seem the case. However, from someone else's view--such as Snape's or perhaps Dumbledore's--the move may have made perfect sense.

Going back to Felix, I think it acts upon a person to fufill their goals. Harry wanted to talk to Slughorn, for example, but he also wanted to see Hagrid. So, Felix arranged that both could happen. Both the goal of Harry and the goal of someone else through Harry happened thorugh Felix.

Applying this to Snape, he may have a personal goal. Looking for an old post right now that basically rationalizes much of what Snape does (including use Felix a bit too much) but I can't find it now. Here is one old post that summerizes how Dumbledore's and Snape's plans for the night Dumbledore was killed if Snape is out for himself. See, Fuelpagan had been suggesting that Snape wanted to be the leader of the Death Eaters and was killing Dumbledore and Voldemort along the road to power. Still looking for the post that rationalizes it, though.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
On the subject of Snape using Felix, what's to say that he hasn't been using it all along? Maybe he hasn't used it as heavily as he is now (supposidly)but he could have been using it. He seems to have almost too perfect timing sometimes. OF course, this could just be JKR's advancemetn of the plot and i'm just reading into it way too much...

And why would Snape take Felix? I mean, he has a reputaion to maintain, expecially if he's making a bid for power. Also, there's the side efects to consider. If he doesn't manage to completely counteract them with his skill, he could end up dead, humiliated, or on the wrong end of a Death Eater's or Harry's wand. But power is an intoxicating thing. Once you have a taste you always want more. Also, revenge is a powerful motivator, with fear right there too. Snape could see Felix as a way out. The more pressure put on him, the more he'll use it. But he won't for get the side effects and all he's risked to get as far as he has. He'll be careful, not taking it unless he's sure he has to use it.

As to why he takes it when he does: I think there's an important underlying conflict Harry ahsn't found yet that's waiting to explode out into the open. Something will be up with Snape and Voldemort.
Basically, Snape's choice to join the DEs may make sense if he was following the promptings of Felix to acheive his own personal means of gaining leadership of the DEs

Oh, found it.

Quote:
Snape had a hard childhood like Voldemort did that shaped his life goals. He wants to prove to everyone that he is more that the slimy kid who everyone hated. He wants revenge. He needs to prove himself above them to make up for his childhood.

The first group that let him join and gain recognition was the Death Eaters. He fell in with the wrong people. Maybe he realized this and wanted to get out, but couldn't. Not if he wanted to live, that is. So what does he do? He goes to the person he know he can help and will protect him from Voldemort: Dumbledore. He turns traitor.

But then the Dark Lord disappears, presumed dead. Snape can now live a normal life. So he tries. He goes for the Order of Merlin and all of that "normal" stuff. But his reputation has follwed him. And he can't very well claim that he is Dumbledore's man. No one believes him. They all think he's faking to escape punishment.

So what does he do? He falls back in with his old friends, the one who are still supporting him. He has power back. He can make up for his childhood and show the world who he truly is by taking over the Death Eaters. After all, Voldemort's not coming back, at least in his real form.

Except Voldemort does come back and suddenly, Snape is robbed of his new power. So what does he do? He crafts a plan to get rid of Dumbledore and Voldemort and show the world--the world that didn't give him a chance--that he is powerful and that no one laughs at him.

Last edited by Kerry; May 29th, 2007 at 8:52 pm.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Sixth Year

I've been working with someone over on "leaky" so hopefully there will be an editorial of sorts soon. Not exactly what I was going for, but a compromise that they were willing to publish. I'll keep you all posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateLogic View Post
Snape has the giddyness problem solved. Which is why the euphoria potion was heavily modified, so Snape could figure out how to get around the problems with giddyness.

Reckless remains to be seen. If in DH we see Snape was using Felix then Snape stopping his retreat to face Harry, thus giving Buckbeak the opportunity to attack could be called reckless.
Quote:
Applying this to Snape, he may have a personal goal.
Exactly. I don't think it was any event that made Snape realize he needed to make some Felix. It is more like Snape could have a personal goal and would need a little luck to pull it off.
Quote:
Except Voldemort does come back and suddenly, Snape is robbed of his new power. So what does he do? He crafts a plan to get rid of Dumbledore and Voldemort and show the world--the world that didn't give him a chance--that he is powerful and that no one laughs at him.
Excellent!

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Second Year

Hello Fuelpagan. nice to see you here.

Im sorry i didnt read all the posts.

I dont think he was abusing Felix Felicis.
Im more inclined to believe that he takes wit sharpening potion

But I love your theory.
After taking the UV it would be wise to drink liquid luck.
But he was not lucky when harry was on the tower to witness him killing Dumbledore. Or what could be good for him in that?

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:37 pm
Second Year

Got to thhinking in math today--we're learning about probability--What is luck? How does Felix make it?

By my definition, luck is the favorable or unfavorable outcome of an event against the odds.

Think about how scary this is when applied to Felix. A potion--even a magic potion--that can give the user good luck. In other words, it can ensure the user's ability to beat the odds to achieve some goal. What's so scary about this?
1. Felix needs to be able to sense and perhaps prioritize the goals to be accomplished. For this it needs awareness.
2. Felix needs to be able to devine how to beat the odds. For this, it needs imagination and logic.
3. Felix needs to be able to change events for to help beat the odds. For this it needs influence on sentinent beings.

Do these seem like characteristics of life and humans at all to you? It does to me. How does an object get these characteristics, even thorugh magic? In my belief, Felix is one of the most advanced, complicated, human-like magical objects out there.

Just a thought.

Old May 31st, 2007, 7:29 pm
Sixth Year

secunda
Quote:
Originally Posted by secunda View Post
But he was not lucky when harry was on the tower to witness him killing Dumbledore. Or what could be good for him in that?
Very good point. But we must remember that Ron, Hermione and Ginny all took Felix in order to stop Snape and Draco. Which they failed spectacularly at, yet we know Felix was working because Ginny describes how the spells just seemed to miss them.

So the question we must ask ourselves, if Snape was also using Felix that night, how does Felix work when both sides are using it against each other?

I like to think Felix tries to balance out the luck and prioritize what is most important. The problem being, Snape has an Unbreakable Vow hanging over his head. So in a sense, making sure the Unbreakable Vow doesn't kill Snape becomes Felix's top priority. Any luck given to Ron, Hermion and Ginny can not cause the Unbreakable Vow to kill Snape.

This is why Draco was able to get passed both Ron and Ginny, even though they were both using Felix. It is why Snape was able to get passed Hermione, even though she was using Felix. But even though Draco got passed Ron and Ginny, they quickly found help to fight the Death Eaters.

So I see Harry being a witness as Felix balancing the problem of Ron, Ginny and Hermione also using Felix. Felix couldn't allow them to stop Draco or Snape because it would result in Snape's death. But Felix made sure a witness to the event was present as a compromise.

Quote:
Do these seem like characteristics of life and humans at all to you? It does to me. How does an object get these characteristics, even thorugh magic? In my belief, Felix is one of the most advanced, complicated, human-like magical objects out there.
Some excellent points Kerry! I see luck as being very much like water vapor. It is always around. You have good luck and bad luck. And it clumps forming invisible luck clouds of good or bad luck. Felix manipulates these as needed depending on what a persons goals are. It will have to do some thinking in order to make something happen that a person desires. But Jo gave it limitations. It can't make someone or something do anything against its nature. It can't make the Room of Requirement let Harry get in to see what Draco is up to because it's nature is to become what is needed as a room. Without knowing how Draco was using the room it couldn't let Harry in.

By the same token, if say Snape had used Felix in CoS to try and get Harry expelled. Felix couldn't make McGonagall expel Harry because it was in her nature to give students a second chance.

I see Snape starting out using logic and reason mainly, and only using Felix for situations where a little luck was needed. The reason I think he may have become an abuser was after Draco was caught the night of the party. With Draco refusing any help from Snape, all Snape could rely on was luck that Draco wasn't caught again having the mission fail, thus killing Snape due to the Unbreakable Vow.

Old June 5th, 2007, 2:10 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelpagan
I see Snape starting out using logic and reason mainly, and only using Felix for situations where a little luck was needed. The reason I think he may have become an abuser was after Draco was caught the night of the party. With Draco refusing any help from Snape, all Snape could rely on was luck that Draco wasn't caught again having the mission fail, thus killing Snape due to the Unbreakable Vow.
Yes, Felix can't act on people's or things' natures, but it can still act on things and events. This part I think is one reason Felix is so dangerous. The second that is in manipulating luck, it is indeed highly addictive. Now, Snape probably used Felix for perfectly logical reasons. He probably still does. Being adept at potions, he knows the side effects of Felix. Maybe he's found a way to counteract them. However I fear to think what Snape may be capable of with Felix. JKR is going to have to put restrictions on him, either with Harry using Felix (which raises the question, how does Felix prioritize?) or with Snape having nasty luck with side effects or Voldie or something.

Old June 5th, 2007, 4:16 am
First Year

Luck can only get you so far.

Say Snape WAS using Felix at the same time that the DA were using it. We need to first determine the goals of each "side".

Snape: The vow. Protect Draco, and complete his task if it seems he should fail.

The DA: Monitor Snape and Draco, stop them if they try something.

If their goals were opposite to eachother, then Felix would only get each side so far. I think it would take a combination of Felix, and the users' own talents/luck to achieve their goals.

I agree with Secunda that Harry witessing snape killing DD was not 'lucky' for Snape, but as I said earlier, luck only gets you so far. If Snape was using Felix, it seems as though Felix has made some compromises to achieve Snapes goal.

Snape was able to fulfill his vow, but not everything went how he planned it. The Order were there, he had to take out Flitwick and get Hermione and Luna off his tail, Harry was a witness to DD's murder, and now his cover is blown (if he is bad) and (if you believe Snape is good), then he had to murder the only wizard who stood up for him.

I must also agree that Snape, being such an excellent potions master, most likely would have found a way to counteract the side-effects of Felix abuse, but I don't believe he was abusing it.

Very interesting thread!

Last edited by monadblue; June 5th, 2007 at 4:19 am.
Old June 5th, 2007, 4:40 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by secunda View Post
I dont think he was abusing Felix Felicis.
Im more inclined to believe that he takes wit sharpening potion
Indeed!

The way I see it, Snape of all people would know not to overuse Felix. It would just be too risky.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old June 5th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Sixth Year

monadblue and Silver Ink Pot
Quote:
Being adept at potions, he knows the side effects of Felix. Maybe he's found a way to counteract them. However I fear to think what Snape may be capable of with Felix. JKR is going to have to put restrictions on him, either with Harry using Felix (which raises the question, how does Felix prioritize?) or with Snape having nasty luck with side effects or Voldie or something.
We know Snape was working on counteracting the problem of giddyness. We have the modified euphoria potion as evidence for this. That just leaves recklessness. Like many addictive substances I see someone abusing Felix eventual believing they are immune to this side effect and that they are in control. Only when a person tries to quit does one realize how addicted they really are. This opens the door for reckless behavior. Combine this with a good plan from trio and I think Snape can be taken on even with the help of Felix.

So all we need is an opportunity for Snape to have to use Felix more often then he would like in order to start feeling he is immune to the problem of recklessness. I think Draco refusing his help and in the risk of being caught provides for this situation. After the Christmas party, all Snape had was luck in order to keep Draco out of danger and Snape safe from the Vow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monadblue View Post
If their goals were opposite to eachother, then Felix would only get each side so far. I think it would take a combination of Felix, and the users' own talents/luck to achieve their goals. I agree with Secunda that Harry witessing snape killing DD was not 'lucky' for Snape, but as I said earlier, luck only gets you so far. If Snape was using Felix, it seems as though Felix has made some compromises to achieve Snapes goal.
When both sides are using felix, compromises would be necessary. With the Unbreakable Vow looming over Snape, Felix would have to make this a top priority. But Felix would have to give something to Ron, Ginny and Hermione since they too were using Felix. A witness to what Snape does could be that compromise. As Harry would have been the one to get Snape if Draco hadn't been running up the stairs as Harry was trying to leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
The way I see it, Snape of all people would know not to overuse Felix. It would just be too risky.
Agreed, Snape of all people would know the risks. But weigh the side effects from Felix against the risks of Draco doing something stupid causing the Unbreakable Vow to kill Snape. Snape knows Harry suspects Draco and is trying to discover what Draco is up too. With Draco refusing any help, all Snape has is luck that Draco doesn't get caught.

IMHO the risks of Draco causing the UV to kill Snape is much greater than the risks of any side effects from Felix.

Last edited by Fuelpagan; June 5th, 2007 at 2:19 pm.
Old June 5th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by monadblue
If their goals were opposite to eachother, then Felix would only get each side so far. I think it would take a combination of Felix, and the users' own talents/luck to achieve their goals. I agree with Secunda that Harry witessing snape killing DD was not 'lucky' for Snape, but as I said earlier, luck only gets you so far. If Snape was using Felix, it seems as though Felix has made some compromises to achieve Snapes goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelpagan
When both sides are using felix, compromises would be necessary. With the Unbreakable Vow looming over Snape, Felix would have to make this a top priority. But Felix would have to give something to Ron, Ginny and Hermione since they too were using Felix. A witness to what Snape does could be that compromise. As Harry would have been the one to get Snape if Draco hadn't been running up the stairs as Harry was trying to leave.
My idea of everyone's major priority: don't get killed. Snape was trying to avoind being killed by the DA, the UV, and other various people who wished him harm. The DE was trying to not get killed themselves.
There are other smaller priorities, like the DE's of stopping Snape, Harry's of stopping Snape, and Snape's of not being stopped. Mainly, though, people's main concern was for their life. Hey, that would be my priority too if I was about to be killed in a duel!

The question with priorities is how Felix chooses. Does it choose by when the problem arose, or when the drinker took Felix, or the percieved size of the problem, or what? It's very hard to tell, as we don't know who exactly and when they were using Felix.

Old June 8th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Clearly, Snape is not even using Felix Felicis let alone abusing it. If he were using it, then he could finally have his way about Harry being expelled. All he would have to do is tip a drip down his gullet and tell himself that he wants Harry to be expelled from Hogwarts. Then it would happen.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old June 8th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Sixth Year

Hey everyone,

I've been working with Caltheous from Leaky to get my idea published as a new editorial and hopefully it will be in next months Scribbulus. She was my ghost writer and I think she has done a wonderful job. We only focus on the night of the tower to show how lucky Snape was that night. We focused mainly on showing a strong case where he used it rather than trying to show him abusing Felix.

I'll have to remember to take some Felix on July 1st. Maybe I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Clearly, Snape is not even using Felix Felicis let alone abusing it. If he were using it, then he could finally have his way about Harry being expelled. All he would have to do is tip a drip down his gullet and tell himself that he wants Harry to be expelled from Hogwarts. Then it would happen.
The way I see it, Snape clearly is using it, and potentially abusing it.

The problem is, it is not in Snape's power to expel Harry. That decision has rested with McGonagall and Dumbledore. And Felix can not make someone go against their nature, just as it can't make the room of requirement let someone in.

I see two times Snape may have used Felix in order to get Harry expelled. The first time was in Chamber of Secrets. I layed out the case in my Editorial post showing how circumstances ended up with Snape finding Harry and Ron. But Snape nor Felix can stop McGonagall from giving them a second chance.

The second time I feel was in HBP when Harry had to hide the potions book. Because it wasn't in Harry's nature to just give up to Snape.

Felix doesn't not make something happen. It sets the conditions so it is possible to happen. If it was Ron who used Felix to get the memory from Slughorn it wouldn't have worked. The reason Felix let Harry get the memory is because there was something about Harry making it was within his ability already. I think it had to do with Slughorn's weakness for wanting to feel important and helping the famous.

You might want to take a closer look at the hypothesis instead of blindly dismissing it.

Last edited by Fuelpagan; June 8th, 2007 at 8:21 pm.
Old June 8th, 2007, 9:06 pm
Second Year

Here's a timeline of Felix use and evidence:

1: CoS, Start of Term
Series of events:
-Harry late to get to King's Cross Station
-Barrier sealed
-Harry takes car to school
-Invisibility fails
-Crash car in whomping willow
-Snape finds Harry
Reason for Felix: try to expel Harry becasue of hate for Harry's father, had good excuse then but McGonagal steps in

2: HBP, Spinner's End
Series of Events:
-Catches Wormtail listening (twice)
-Gets Bellatrix to trust him more (to the point of not openly accusing him of being a traitor)
-Gets Narcissa to tell him information she was forbidden to share by the Dark Lord
Reason for Felix: needs to know plans of Voldemort for Dumbledore so he can inform him

3: HBP, Start of Term
Series of Events:
-Harry enters DE & Co's compartment
-harry's foot seen
-Harry gets hit in head by suitcase
-Harry frozen, beaten, and left under cloak
-Tonks finds Harry, although he's invisible
-Hagrid is late, so Snape intercepts message from Tonks
-Sanpe remarks how patronuses (or patroni?) can change to Harry
Reason for Felix: needs to find some way to set himself up to Harry so he can come back as someone, even with a different patronus

4: HBP, Harry attacks Draco in bathroom
Series of Events:
-Harry is by bathroom, doesn't see Snape
-Attacks Draco with sectumsempra
-Snape arrives and hears the sectumsempra, making him suspicious
Reason for Felix: Snape arived quickly, even if he's supposed to be protecting Draco. He now has a reson to get Harry in trouble (cheating wtih his book)

5: HBP, The Tower
Series of Events:
-Hermione and Luna put off from following Snape
-Harry delayed from getting Snape
-Snape arrives on the tower right before Draco would have to kill Dumbledore
-No curses hit Snape or Draco, although they run right through the worst
-Snape reaches the gates and dissaperates moments before being torn apart by Buckbeak
Reason for Felix: DEs are in the castle. Snape would ahve to chose between the DEs (& UV) and Dumbledore

This evidence pushes in favor of Felix use. Felix abuse however...
What I'd like to know is how much is too much? (4 times in HBP might be pushing it)

Old June 9th, 2007, 3:01 am
Sixth Year

That is a wonderful synopsis of the idea Kerry! I hope you don't mind but I added it to the opening post.
Quote:
This evidence pushes in favor of Felix use. Felix abuse however...
What I'd like to know is how much is too much? (4 times in HBP might be pushing it)
I don't think 4 times would be pushing it. What we don't know is how often he used it for situations which didn't involve Harry. And like I've said before, once Draco refused help from Snape, all Snape could count on was luck that Draco wouldn't get caught. Which I think the threat of death could be a strong motivating factor to risk the side effects of too much Felix.

Which of course is why I posed the question of whether he could be abusing the stuff.

Last edited by Fuelpagan; June 9th, 2007 at 3:23 am.
Old June 9th, 2007, 4:56 am
Third Year

Rather simply, the fact that many things are used more than once in the books and unsuspectingly so, means that Felix will probably be/or have been used by someone else other than Harry and Co. Also if Snape is using Felix, he is probably not abusing* it. Abusing implies selfishness. Snape is just in very dangerous situations-so dangerous that even he needs a little help.

Old June 9th, 2007, 2:04 pm
Second Year

Slughorn states in HBP, page 187 (US hardback): " 'Because if taken in excess, it causes giddiness, reclessness, and dangerous overconfidence,' said Slughorn. 'Too much of a good thing, you know. . .highly toxic in large quantities. But taken sparingly, and very occasionaly. . .' "

There's never any mention of how much is too much. For all we know, four times in one year and five times in four years could be considered too much--an abuse of Felix. (Not an addiction. An abuse. At least in my mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusLovesUs
Also if Snape is using Felix, he is probably not abusing* it. Abusing implies selfishness.
But as Fuelpagan just said, there is great reason for Snape to be selfish. Is not the ultimate act of selfishness the want to protect you own life? If Snape did not fufill the UV, he would die. Therefore, he took Felix to help himself fufill the vow by protecting Draco so he himself might live. Although he had to stick up for someone else, he was still being selfish.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives