Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

When will book 7 start?

Old October 9th, 2005, 2:30 am
Squee-worthy

When will book 7 start?

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

Between each book is a time of unrecorded information...in between OOTP and HBP this time seemed to be very short, did anyone else get the feeling that the time between HBP and Book 7 will be slim to none. Would JKR start the 7th Book where HBP left off? Harry says he will visit the Dursleys until July 31st, then it seems the summer will be an important part...Will Harry be tempted to leave the Dursley's before his Birthday and go exploring? or will we wait until July 31st 1997 to start Book 7? just curious....

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2005, 2:33 am
First Year

i think he'll for sure wait until the 31st because that's what dumbledore wanted, i mean he'll be tempted to leave earlier, but i think in the end he's going to do what dumbledore wanted him to do

and i also agree that there probably will not be much unrecorded time

I Trust Severus Snape!

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

"Life's a journey, not a destination"
Old October 9th, 2005, 2:37 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Harry says at the end of HBP that he'll go "back to the Dursleys once more, because Dumbledore wanted me to," but he says it will be a short visit. I imagine the action in Book 7 will start before Harry's birthday. Do we have a date for Bill and Fleur's wedding yet? I'm sure Harry will attend.

Old October 9th, 2005, 2:37 am
Sixth Year

It depends on when Bill and Fleur's wedding is. I think he'll probably leave the Dursleys's to go to the wedding and then not go back.

My RAB theory:The R.A.B. discovered 'The Secret Riddle' theory
For reference:RAB related quotes
Old October 9th, 2005, 3:01 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

Well, that is true, there is always a snipit that doesn't make it to the page. It is usually about two weeks time, give or take. I really don't see any reason for book 7 to be any different. I have seen theories which claim that seven will compass many years, if that is the case, then I am not sure where the book willl start. I, don't think that there is evidence to support this, however. I am sure that we will find Harry again at #4, about two weeks from when we left him prior.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old October 9th, 2005, 3:57 am
Second Year

Harry isn't going to have a lot of time to waste sitting around. I think you're right that there isn't going to be a big span of time between where the book left off and where the next book starts. In fact, I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if the 7th book starts out with Harry still at Hogwarts. He didn't even board the train yet, right?(sorry if thats wrong) Maybe there's one last thing that has to happen before he goes home.

Old October 9th, 2005, 4:03 am
Sixth Year

Harry is going back because Dumbledore wanted him to. I don't know what is going to happen there, but it is going to be important. I think something will be revealed to Harry. I can't see him having a tearful goodbye to them, LOL. But I think Petunia will say something to Harry before he leaves. Then again it might just be

"Goodbye forever, Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, Dudley.

Aunt Petunia:...
Uncle Vernon: It's about time. Good ridence! And DON'T come back.
Dudley: YAY!

Or

Petunia takes Harry aside and tells him something, a message from Dumbledore that she is supposed to tell him upon him leaving.

Like this:

Harry turned to go, but his aunt stopped him. She had a strange distracted looked, as if she were not quite herself. She turned to him and told him something he would never forget, and then as quickly as it happened, it was over. She blinked and didn't seem to realize what had just happened or what she had just said. In fact, she was turning around now to go. But he thought of her words carefully, because it was as if Dumbledore had just spoken to him. And Harry guessed that in a way, he had. Whatever spell Petunia had been put under seemed to be a time released spell. This day, this hour she was supposed to say those words. And it they had been said. And Harry knew this was why he was supposed to come back to the Dursleys.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Or face the wrath of the four-legged duckling of dooooom!

Severus Snape= Pauses Nerves
Deathly Hallows= The old hallways
Old October 9th, 2005, 9:14 am
Third Year

I dont think book 7 will start with Harry still at Hogwarts. I think it'll start with the trio at the Dursleys. And Dumbledore did want Harry to go back to the Dursley's one more time, so the protection would last untill he turns 17, but I don't think he's going to stay until his birthday.

HBP p.55 US version
Quote:
The magic I evoked fifteen years ago means that Harry has powerful protection while he can still call this house "home."...."I ask only this: that you allow Harry to return, once more, to this house, before his seventeenth birthday, which will ensure that the protection continues untill that time."
From that I don't think he has to stay at the Dursleys longer than a day even. And the protection will last until his birthday, whether Harry's at the house or not.

Old October 9th, 2005, 10:08 am
First Year

I believe Harry will stay at the Dursley's till his birthday, who knows, mabye he will recieve his first proper birthday present from them?

Old October 10th, 2005, 5:46 pm
First Year

hermione and ron are supposed to be there at the dursleys, rite?

Old October 10th, 2005, 7:16 pm
First Year

we'll see him at privet drive i think, because i know that something will be revealed about petunia and her correspondance with dumbledore. i think it would be brilliant if JKR started the book from where it left off.it would make it so much more exciting and less conventional

thanks hermy_grngr. u rock!
Old October 10th, 2005, 8:03 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidney Pie
Petunia takes Harry aside and tells him something, a message from Dumbledore that she is supposed to tell him upon him leaving.

Like this:

Harry turned to go, but his aunt stopped him. She had a strange distracted looked, as if she were not quite herself. She turned to him and told him something he would never forget, and then as quickly as it happened, it was over. She blinked and didn't seem to realize what had just happened or what she had just said. In fact, she was turning around now to go. But he thought of her words carefully, because it was as if Dumbledore had just spoken to him. And Harry guessed that in a way, he had. Whatever spell Petunia had been put under seemed to be a time released spell. This day, this hour she was supposed to say those words. And it they had been said. And Harry knew this was why he was supposed to come back to the Dursleys.
I love this! The idea of a time released spell is a good one.
I don't think he will stay very long, though hopefully it will be long enough to get some info out of Petunia. Like somebody else said, I don't think he has to stay until his birthday for the protection to last until his birthday.
As to how much time will be unrecorded, I think it will be a very short time, if any. I wish it would pick up right where we left off, but I don't know if it will happen.

Old October 10th, 2005, 8:19 pm
Registered Animagus

I got the impression that Harry will go directly to the Dursleys after leaving Hogwarts. If I'm right, then there will be little if any time left out. Ron then says Harry has to go back to the Burrow even before he goes to GH.

So, Hogwarts, Privet Drive (where he has a heart-to-heart with Petunia), the Burrow and then GH. There may be some time left out between these events, but not between Hogwarts and Privet Drive.

Old October 11th, 2005, 2:16 am
Fifth Year

I think it'll start off with him at the Dursley's. I'm curious to see how he leaves off with them, particularly Aunt Petunia. I wonder if he'll let them all have it about how they've treated him all these years.

Thanks to random_musing for the inspiration ^_^

"Ron seemed to come to himself slightly as they walked back across the Great Hall. He touched the spot on his face where Hermione had kissed him, looking puzzled, as though he was not quite sure what had just happened. He seemed too distracted to notice much around him..." - Order of the Pheonix
Old October 11th, 2005, 2:47 am
Sixth Year

I always imagined it as: they return to the Burrow straight from school, Bll and Fleur get married, they leave for the Dursleys, stay there until Harry's birthday, and then go to Godric's Hollow, then they go Horcruxing.

Old October 11th, 2005, 2:52 am
Sixth Year

As with most HP tales, I think Harry will first appear in Privet Drive. I don't think his stay will be long, what with the horcruxes, wedding, etc. motivating him to leave. As for any sort of serious discussion with Petunia, I personally see that happening at the beginning, rather than end of the book. Especially if their "supposed" discussion touched on the "supposed" (meh, using that word a lot) relationship Lily and Snape may have had.. That could come in useful for later in the book?

"CoS is in fact the seventh Horcrux. You've all been tricked by JK.
Harry has to kill this forum in order to be able to finally kill Voldemort.
He should be doing this in about 2 years time."

- Morgoth
Old October 11th, 2005, 3:01 am
Sixth Year

Sry, this is way off topic, but, Pinkerton, I luuuuuurve your sig. Ok, carry on with the topic at hand.

Old October 11th, 2005, 6:03 am
Second Year

I think book 7 will start with Harry at Privet Drive waiting for Ron and Hermione to come. It would be good if he was lying awake waiting for midnight where he comes of age, sort of similar to when he turned 11 in PS/SS. Maybe he would wait for the very second he became 17 and then went to walk straight out of the house, never to return, but when he goes downstairs for the last time his trunk accidentally falls and smashes open the creaky stair, revealing...whatever is under it (his mother's wand perhaps, letters from DD). Petunia then explains to Harry, Vernon and Dudley.

I think it would be great if the Dursleys finally were less hostile towards Harry and the wizarding world in general. It would make a change. SOMETHING different is gonna happen with the Dursleys. Jo has set it up, with Petunia's strange behaviour, and the fact that what Dudley saw when the Dementor attacked him is meant to be important. Maybe Dudley has a bad memory from when he was a baby, maybe a memory of Voldemort.

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

We must have some closure with Petunia, and have some 'fun' with Hermione and Ron interacting with the Dursleys. But Harry's last days with Petunia are the most important thing, so I'm hoping for a whole chapter dedicated to Privet Drive with Petunis finally telling Harry all about what she really knows about the magical world etc.
For some reason I think Bill and Fleurs wedding will be held on Harry's birthday and that will also mark the day he can go out into the big wide world and start his journey to hunt Horcruxes. He will be able to use magic when ever he wants.

Old May 9th, 2006, 2:41 pm
First Year

Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Harry might stay at the Dursleys' until his birthday for *their* protection as much as his own. (While he doesn't love them, his willingness to help Dudley in Book 5 shows he's not going to leave them to suffer either.) Whatever magic protects Harry while at Privet Drive seems to be dependent on the house itself; remember in Book 5 he got all those letters telling him not to leave the house--they didn't say not to leave his relatives, but not to leave his aunt and uncle's house. With Voldemort and his followers on the loose and with a greater advantage than ever, Harry's presence at Privet Drive might be what ensures the safety of its inhabitants until he turns 17.

As far as unrecorded time, I expect to pick things up relatively close to July 31st, with numerous occasions for internal flashbacks on Harry's part about hilarious or disastrous incidents between Ron, Hermione, and the Dursleys that took place in the intervening time; this time period will likely be easily summarized, and covering it quickly in retrospect lets us move along with the bulk of the plot faster.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies