Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

View Poll Results: Which movie is your favourite?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 10 4.55%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 5 2.27%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 51 23.18%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 7 3.18%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 14 6.36%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 16 7.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part One 27 12.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two 90 40.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:09 pm
First Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
I'd say Deathly Hallows: Part 2, amazing battles and action.
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
I'd say the flashbacks of Snape in the final film, they did an amazing job of showing the real Snape we, the audience, had never saw.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
I'll say Yates.
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?
No, although certain things were inconsistent I think the franchise would've gotten stale with just one director, Like it or not, Columbus' first two films just seemed too dull and I'm not sure he could've handled the other films.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?

Snape and Draco.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
Half-Blood Prince
Best special effects?
Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?
Definitely, while they were far from perfect each director did a great job contributing to the Potter movie franchise in a different way.

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Third Year

The movies
I think Part 2. Just because of the events, the acting, everything. And it was the most accurate, with the least amount of material cut, I believe.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
The Prince's Tale and I don't even need to think about it. I have never seen better acting. Ever. They made it interesting to watch. You have Snape and Dumbledore talking for about 10-15 seconds, then a flashback to Godric's Hollow, which, by the way, was a fabulous addition and definitely hit everything home for me. If that hadn't been in there I don't think I would have cried.

Directing
It is kind of hard to say because the WW changes throughout the films, but Columbus's style worked quite well. Obviously Yates emphasized the darker side of the WW which I thought was good and believable.

No. It is interesting to see how certain directors portray the Potterverse and how they thought certain things should look. I've been happy with all the Yates movies though.

Storytelling
Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
Well obviously we got a lot of Harry vs. Voldemort but Alan Rickman, being awesome, helped the Snape/Dumbledore storyline along quite well.

Acting
I feel bad for not saying any of the trio, but I think Rickman got Snape so well it's not even funny. And it took watching HPDH2 to make me see that.

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?
Alan Rickman, for those reasons mentioned above.

Music
How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
The soundtrack is with any film, the most important component. I feel so strongly about this, too. The way I see it, "You could have fantastic acting and horrible music and the music will ruin the acting. But if you have horrible acting and fantastic music, you stand a chance of being saved." That is my quote.

Who is your favourite music composer?
I feel inclined to say Williams, but honestly, Desplat has given me something to love forever. Desplat's music blends so well with the film. Williams helped to paint the image of the Wizarding World. I also loved Hooper's score.

Which soundtrack is your favourite?
I have a good deal of trouble trying to pick one. I think PoA's and DH pts 1&2 were amazing.

What is your favourite music track?
Nope. I can't possibly pick one. Although I have always been blown away by "Statues."

I'm actually going to say Part 1. I think they really seized an oppurtunity there.

Best set design (props etc)?
Hmm...HBP.

Best special effects?
Part 2.

Best costumes?
I have no idea.

Overall verdict
Yes, very. All except for GoF. Notice how I said nothing about it. But the last 4 movies were really, really good and I do think they were rounded off nicely.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:05 am
First Year

The movies

I'd have to say DH2, just because I love the ebb and flow of the battle, the Gringott's sequence is simply spot on, and The Prince's Tale... There are no words.

This one is hard. I think the most heartrendingly beautiful moment is seeing Tonks and Lupin in the great hall after their deaths, their hands nearly touching. I held it together until then, but that one moment made me cry like a baby.

Directing

It's a close one, but I'd have to say Yates.

No, I love the variety. Just as all of the characters and the books change, I feel like the different directors bring a wonderful new perspective each time.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
I feel like the obvious is the trio, but for me, I think my favorite is the evolution of Voldemort. How he moves from a parasite, to a weak creature, to a powerful wizard, and then his unraveling as his horcruxes are destroyed.

Acting

I feel like my favorites are a tie between Helena B-C (I have a soft spot for Bellatrix), Maggie Smith as McGonagall, and, of course, Alan Rickman as Snape.

Hmm, I'd have to say Emma Watson.

Music

I feel like it ties it all together, and it's very important.

Ooh, tough one. I'm going to say Desplat.

DH1

Farewell to Dobby, nearly has me in tears every time.

DH1

Oh, hmm... DH2, I love the intricacy of the RoR.

Best special effects?
OotP, the battle at the Ministry is exquisite (imo)

Best costumes?
GoF, I absolutely love the Yule Ball scene.

Overall verdict
Yes, of course they are quite different from the books, but judging them separately, they were fantastic.

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:19 am
Fifth Year

The movies

It was Chamber of Secrets but now...Its Deathly Hallows Part 2. Why? Hahaha..hahahah! DH2 was executed so perfectly, there are no words!

The Prince's Tale! It was so good!!!

Directing

Yates. Bro knows whats up. Columbus was fine for the first two films but as the series progressed, we needed a more...artistic direction.

Ultimately, yes but the way it works now is ok. Each film has its own feel to it.

Storytelling

The growth of the trio is huge. Its possibly the best thing about the films. Also Voldemort's own development.

Acting

Alan Rickman no contest. He was the best. He could do things with Snape that no one could possibly do. Daniel Radcliffe also gets honorable mention. Hes come such a long way and its wonderful!

Dan Radcliffe and Emma Watson both. I see huge futures for them.

Music

It is important. We need it to capture the mood.

John Williams.

Prisoner of Azkaban. I do like Sorcerer's Stone as well.

You know, i cant really answer that...

Ohhhhhh thats a tough one! I really liked the cinematography of Half Blood Prince. Both DH movies as well.

I loved the sets of the first two films a lot. But Prisoner Of Azkaban's change of Hogwarts worked really well. OoTP gets special mention for Grimmauld Place.

Best special effects?
Deathly Hallows Part 2. Easily.

Best costumes?
The last 4 films.

Overall verdict
I am actually. Sure, Goblet of Fire was the weakest of the lot but i think as a whole, the films are great on their own.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old July 17th, 2011, 3:02 am
Fifth Year

Split between DH1 and DH2 - they're the only two movies which stay extremely close to the text without being detrimental to the film. Not sure about my favorite moment because I haven't watched the movies enough to know for sure.

David Yates, without a doubt. Cuaron second. Columbus got the job done in PS and CS but I'm glad he was replaced. I only wish one of Cuaron, Yates or someone like that could have directed GoF - Newell was awful.

Snape's story was portrayed brilliantly, but I'm biased because that's one of my favorite arcs. Only flaw was that it made him a bit too good - obscured his deep complexity and genuine character flaws. I just wish they gave more for Rickman to do either way.

My favorite portrayals are Snape, Luna and McGonagoll. I think they're the only three who I visualize, and read in their voices, when I read the books.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?[/quote]

Yes. Only two things that stick out for me - the watered down Marauders arc, extremely watered down GoF plot (virtually everything in GoF actually).

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:41 am
Third Year

The movies

I really can't pick between DH Pt. 1 and DH Pt. 2. They were both phenomenal to me. I think that Part 1 had some of the greatest character developing moments for the trio. I loved the pacing. It was the first film that I felt didn't feel too rushed. I absolutely loved it.
And then Part 2 comes along and has some of the most thrilling action scenes. The battle was fantastic. I am thoroughly pleased with the the series finale. It perfectly conveyed the emotion of the book, despite minor tweaks here and there. It left me satisified with the way the film series ended, and crying because it was over.

Well right now, because DH2 is still fresh in my mind, I am still amazed at how excellent "The Prince's Tale" was. I cannot get the image of Alan Rickman's portrayal of Snape, crying and holding Lily's body, out of my head. Gave me goosebumps and had me in tears.

Another moment that also stands out to me though, is Ron destroying the locket horcrux. Incredible scene, and it showed tremendous growth in the trio's acting. Dan and Emma were perfectly eerie and haunting in the way they taunt Ron. Ron's emotional reaction is fantastic. The whole look of the scene--perfect.

So--I've cheated and named two moments. Sue me.

Directing

David Yates.

Yes. I've been so pleased with how Yates has done the final films, that I have to wonder how the series would have been if he had done the whole thing. The shifting directors I think actually hurt the films a bit. It messed up the continuity. The series could have really benefited from one single director all the way through, though I realize perhaps this was not convenient because directing 8 films back to back would have been a pretty tall order.

I also like Alfonzo Cuaron, as POA is near the top of my list. With DH1 & 2 equally sharing the top spot, POA ties for my next favorite with HBP.

Maybe it would have been interesting for Yates and Cuaron to split the films--each doing 4. I wonder how that would have been.

Storytelling

Well, it's definitely got to be the trio's coming of age. Watching them grow up on screen before our eyes through the tale is one of the most intriguing things about the films--and I think this is also true of the books. It is the story of Harry, Ron, and Hermione that gets people hooked. And because the 'coming of age' bit for the trio is embedded within the whole series, it has to be the most fleshed out.

Harry vs Voldemort would be the next major storyline--though this too, I believe is a part of the coming of age storyline. We watch Harry, as this wide-eyed small little boy who knew nothing about the wizarding world grow into a young man who has been slowly working his way up to becoming strong enough the face his fears and ultimately save the wizarding world.

Acting

Script wise -- The trio.

Acting wise -- Alan Rickman as Snape and Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix stand out to me most. Alan Rickman as Snape is simply incredible. The Prince's Tale. No words. Just brilliant.

Helena was able to bring so much life and menace to her relatively small role. She managed to be a scene-stealer whenever she was onscreen, even if it was just for a few minutes. Even the very brief depiction of her coming out of Azkaban in OOTP stands out. Her introduction into the series was powerful, and her exit was powerful. And by the time we get to DH, I'd say Dan, Emma, and Rupert too. The series turned them into some pretty fine actors by the end.

See my answer above regarding Dan, Emma, and Rupert.

Music

I must admit, I'm not one of the people that gets very caught up in the music. I don't listen to or buy the soundtracks for instance. Just not my thing. However, while watching the films, the music fits perfectly. I guess since I'm never consciously thinking about the music and it just always feels that it is simply a natural part of whatever scene is playing--the music serves its purpose successfully.

I do, however, love Hedwig's Theme. I'd recognize it anywhere. And I think it has earned its place in history as one of the most recognizable pieces of music.

N/A.

N/A.

Hedwig's Theme.

DH Part 1.

DH Part 2.

Best special effects?
DH Part 2. The giants were decent this time.

Best costumes?
Hmm. Well, I think I've got to say Sorceror's Stone for this one. Because it was the first, and things actually looked witch-and-wizardly. The costumes became more casual as time went on. But SS is the beginning, and while it is now last on my list now when ranking favorites, the look of SS drew me in just as the SS book when I first read it. It was just so magical.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?[/quote]
Yes.

And just like the books, I am so sad to see it end, but so happy to have experienced it and to belong to the "Original" Harry Potter generation. An incredible gift from J.K. Rowling that I will always be thankful for.

Last edited by PotterGurl08; July 17th, 2011 at 3:43 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 5:13 am
First Year

The movies

So hard, but I'm going with DH part 1. It'll probably be part 2 after I see it again... right now my mind is just reeling, I can't look back on it rationally.

I love everything about the doe scene in DH part 1, starting with Harry jumping into the lake and ending with Ron and Harry walking back to the tent to find Hermione. Great moment for Ron, great successful moment for the trio! Ooh, and also the Shrieking Shack seen in PoA. I loved the mix of humor and suspense; I laugh every time Sirius announces Pettigrew's presence and points to Scabbers (on Ron's lap) and Ron says "me???".

Directing

Yates

I think it works the way it is. The books are all different in mood; the first two, for example, seem so much more lighthearted, and the difference in directors definitely shows that. SS and CoS seem almost like novelties; I don't mean that in a bad way at all, just that it was more about getting a feel for the Wizarding World.

Storytelling
Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies?

Hmm, I'm going to say the coming of age stories, but not necessarily the trio. I'm thinking Neville, Draco... I keep thinking of Draco in the first movie, going from childishly sneering at Ron and being thoroughly irritated at Slytherin losing the house cup, to Draco at the end of the series, given the task of killing Dumbledore, and then that hesitation in his eyes when his parents call him over in part 2.... ugh.

Acting

I probably wouldn't have said this last week, but Snape.

Alan Rickman is just fantastic but he's always been great. I'm going to go with Tom Felton.

Music

Very. It completely sets the tone.

Williams, because his music is just so iconic to the series. I really like Desplat, too, though.

I'm not sure.

Hedwig's Theme, because, come on. I do like Lily's Theme a lot, too.

Ooh, tough. OotP, maybe.

DH part 2.

Best special effects?

Not even a question, DH part 2.

Best costumes?

DH part 1.

Overall verdict

Yes, yes, yes. Looking back on it, the movies were so instrumental in amplifying my love of Harry Potter. I love all the actors and actresses; thinking about some random brunette as Hermione is so strange. It has to be Emma Watson. Hogwarts is perfect, the Burrow, Diagon Alley... it just all feels right. There's a few things I'd change here and there, a few lines I think are silly, a few moments of which I preferred the book's version, but overall, the movies are fabulous supplements to the books.

Old July 19th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Sixth Year

The movies

Prisoner of Azkaban. I still think it's the film which does the best job of being able to stand alone as a film, while at the same time being a faithful adaptation of the material. It's the point at which they started to focus on telling the story and not just including everything for the sake of it, and there's a truly magical atmosphere due to the cinematography. And it has the best soundtrack.

You've really got me thinking now ... Probably The Prince's Tale. Thought that whole segment was beautifully handled, and conveyed all the necessary information in a visually interesting and very moving way.

Directing
Cuaron. He really got the magic and the whimsy, and also the underlying darkness, of it all. And it's his style that all the rest of followed on from.

I'm not sure I would. In theory it would have been great, and provided a consistency, but in practice I can't imagine one director committing to that, and if they did, they'd have been thoroughly exausted by it by the end. I can't imagine the finished product wouldn't have suffered because of that.

Storytelling
Harry's coming-of-age, I think. Focusing the films from 3-onwards entirely on Harry was what needed to be done, and they placed his journey at the heart of the whole thing.

Acting
Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy is just spot-on in every respect. It's a fantastic performance, and there isn't enough of him. Close behind - Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid.

Tom Felton in HBP - I didn't know he had a performance like that in him. He was excellent. Closely followed by Emma Watson in DH part 1, for the same reason.

Music
Very important, and one of my complaints with the later films is not only the lack of memorable soundtracks, but also the lack of themes from earlier films being re-used. Changing directors I can live with, same with composers, but there should at least have been an attempt to keep some kind of thematic unity through the score.

I know it's boring to say it, but John Williams, purely for PoA.

PoA by some distance. It's an unusual score for John Williams, and it has a magic and a sadness to it that suits the film perfectly.

"Window to the Past". One of the best pieces of film music in the last 10 years.

PoA
I liked OotP, for the Ministry of Magic/Grimmauld Place sets.
Best special effects?
DH part 2.
Best costumes?
Hard to pick, they're pretty consistent all the way through.

Overall verdict
Yes, I'd say so. It got off to a bit of an uninspiring start, picked up massively with PoA, and has stayed pretty consistent since then. I actually can't say it's let me down at all from PoA onwards, which is a nice thing to be able to say. How well it works as a series, I won't know until I sit down and watch them all in order, but pretty well, I imagine - about as well as any series made over 10 years could work.

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:23 pm
Second Year

My favorite movie was and still is POA. I really don't know about my favorite moment in the movies.

The music has been very important. The music has the potential to make a film for me, though I'm not sure if it could break a film for me. When the music works well, it really enhances my connection to the movie, to the characters, to the moment. POA was my favorite soundtrack (SS was good, too) and, thus, John Williams was my favorite HP composer. I'm not sure of the name of my favorite track, but it's the one where Harry, Hermione, and Sirius are on Buckbeak, the one used at the beginning of the GOF teaser trailor.

Overall, I'm happy with the HP movie series. The ending was not as good as it should have been (the last movie didn't seem to fit with the series as a whole, in my opinion), but overall, I'm satisfied.

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Second Year

For me the music has been a big part of the movies for me because of my musical background having played the flute for 7 years. I wanted the music to be good and be a genuine reflection of the films and books themselves. I thought for the most part they did that.

Who is your favourite music composer? John Williams for coming up with Hedwigs theme. That man is brilliant!

Which soundtrack is your favourite? Probably PoA or a tie between 7 part one and two
What is your favourite music track? Hedwigs theme, Obliviate, or A New Beginning. A new beginning really reminds me of a lullaby. When the bells come in and the strings start to slow the tempo its almost like you can hear Harry's mother telling him "It's over son, I'm so proud of you. Sleep now and all will be well." Or you could look at it from Harry's point of view and feel him breathe a sigh of relief that it's over it's all over.

Which movie has the best cinematography? PoA hands down!
Best set design (props etc)? PoA hands down!
Best special effects? GoF or maybe DH 2
Best costumes? GoF because of the Yule Ball

Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series? I am. JKR wasn't kidding when she said that when it's over it's over! Looking at the series as a whole you can really see the growth of the characters as the readers age. Just looking at SS and DH 2 the scenes are more graphic and the story is much more complicated. I will miss getting fired up about the upcoming films or the new book thats on it's way but I think the films did the books justice and now I can sit back and enjoy reading the books and watching the films together. I doubt there will ever be another book or series of books that have captured the hearts of so many people! We all could do well to remember the lessons learned from the characters of these books and even mimic the characteristics of Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Snape. I believe this world would be a much better place if there were more of those characters like that in this world.

In favor of Book 7 being as long as an unabridged dictionary!

You people seriously need to understand me!

Dragon Heartstring Ash 7 inches
Old July 20th, 2011, 3:44 pm
First Year

The movies

~Deathly Hallows 2. It was so well done. The acting was amazing, the effects were amazing, and it was just an excellent movie!

~Oh jeez. This is a tough one. I pretty much am obsessed with every minute of every movie. But I do like the epilogue of DH 2.

Directing

~David Yates. He is such a great director, and I feel like the film really came together with him.

~No. I think it is good to get a little bit from each director.

Storytelling

~Harry vs Voldemort. It just seems to surreal the way that it all comes together.

Acting

~I have to go with Daniel Radcliffe. (I know - everyone can come hit me with a stick and start protesting now.) But I think he portrays Harry very well (especially in DH 2!). I just think that he is a fantastic actor who was perfect for the role of Harry.

~Daniel Radcliffe. (again). I really do think that he does the best job with making the piece of script he is given sound so real.

Music

~So important! I get all excited when it comes on.

~John Williams.

~DH 2. There are so many good tracks on it. I also really like GOF and OOTP.

~Hedwig's Theme. It's so classic!

~That's a hard question. But I think I have to say DH 2. The lighting and other effects were very well done.

~GoF. They did a fantastic job with all the props for the Triwizard Cup. But I also like DH 2. The scenery from the Battle of Hogwarts was amazing, too.

Best special effects?
~DH 2. (Again.) But I think they really did do a great job with the battle.

Best costumes?
~Please don't ask me to answer that. I love all the costumes.

Overall verdict
~Yes. They were the best movies in the world. They have been such a big part of me, and now that they are over, I am so sad. I can't believe that there will never be another movie. I love you, Harry James Potter, and I always will. <3

Peace. Love. Harry Potter.
<3

Proud Member of Gryffindor!!
Old July 21st, 2011, 5:48 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. Because it had all the elements from the book it needed to have to make me happy, had excellent acting, had good script choices as to what to cut out/simplify, had gorgeous special effects, and was suspenseful and thrilling to watch.

Perhaps the confrontation between Harry and Snape in DH2.

Yates, but he had the most opportunity as well.

No, I think having a few different ones was a good idea. It is not like a single director could have had a vision from the start that she or he would follow, anyway. The series was not written yet!

The Ron/Hermione romance, I think. I enjoyed them and their interactions from the start, and liked how it was tied up in DH.

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape. He did so much with so little.

Delighted. Chris Columbus was lucky, or brilliant, or both, in his casting of the young actors. All the main ones were able to stay with the series until the end, and they all improved as they grew and the material needed them to. I consider this to be most true of Dan Radcliffe. DH2 could not have been what it was without his excellent performance, and I think he was able to deliver it because he took steps to work on his acting and gain different work experiences as he grew up. He did not have to do this!

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:05 am
First Year

The movies

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - it was shot wonderfully and combined emotional drama with spectacle. I also love Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince.

Probably the Prince's Tale. Having said that, the whole final act of Deathly Hallows Part 2 is wonderful.

Directing

It's an easy tie between David Yates and Alfonso Cuaron. But I'll go for Yates.

No. I like the changes in visual style, even if the continuity was a little hurt in the process. I would love to see what Yates and Cuaron would have done with the rest of the films.

Storytelling

Since we spend most of the time with the trio, I'll say their story.

Acting

Severus Snape.

Matt Lewis.

Music

Extremely important.

John Williams. Alexandre Desplat is a close second.

Philosopher's Stone.

Oh this is difficult. I can't pick. Some of my favourites include, but are not limited to, A Window to the Past, In Noctem and the Resurrection Stone. I can't pick a favourite!

Half-Blood Prince.

They're all fantastic.

Best special effects?
The Dragon is Deathly Hallows Part 2 was phenomenal.

Best costumes?
Every film has superb costume design.

Overall verdict

Yes, very much so. I feel some plot points need to be ironed out a tad more and the continuity is all over the place, but that doesn't take away from my opinion that we have been blessed with these films. I love them all, not only as good Harry Potter films, but good films in general.

Formerly Third Year Member

Last edited by thePuff003; July 21st, 2011 at 11:08 am.
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:38 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

This is quite hard to pick! I'd go with Half Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban. I did like Deathly Hallows 2, but I need to watch it again before I can decide how much I love it.

Tough to pick just one, again. But I loved the whole Battle of Hogwarts and Neville slaying Nagini.

Yates and Cuaron.

Yes, I think so.

The relationship between the trio, so naturally and beautifully done. I suspect aided by the chemistry between Dan, Rupert and Emma in real life.

Harry and Snape. Special mentions for McGonagall and Neville in the last movie.

Dan Radcliffe. It took me a long time to get used to him as Harry, but he's been brilliant, especially in the last movie. Evanna Lynch and Matthew Lewis need a mention too.

Very. I cannot imagine the movies without Hedwig's Theme, for instance.

John Williams and Alexander Desplat.

Hedwig's Theme, Fireworks (Nicholas Hooper, OOTP), Lily's Theme

Philosopher's Stone

PoA, DH Part 2

Yes, but I do think it could have been much better

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; July 21st, 2011 at 12:42 pm.
Old July 21st, 2011, 2:18 pm
Second Year

OK, I chose POA, but I wish I could take back my vote and put GOF instead. GOF is seriously underrated! I love it just as much as POA, and it is those two films that really made me fall in love with Harry Potter. They both are full of magic, really make the wizard world come alive for me, and most of all above everything, have two absolutely wonderful soundtracks. Plus, I can keep watching them over and over again without getting bored.
I can't actually believe OOTP has got more votes than GOF. OOTP is by far the worst, and was the disappointment of my life. Seriously, it was. I considered giving up on the films after OOTP. I had such high expectations for it, I expected another masterpiece like the first four but it was a total flop.
I can't choose one. My favourite moments have always been Buckbeak's flight in POA and the first task in GOF. Both have amazing scenery and the best music. Pretty close now will be the Prince's Tale. I thought that, for Yates, was pretty darn amazing.

Well, probably Cuaron. I think he *got* the wizarding world the best, but I think all the first three directors did fine.
No... I don't think that would have worked. But hey, if Cuaron had wanted to do all of them i'd be far from complaining!
Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies?Snape by far!

Snape, Hagrid...McGonagall... Harry...
I don't know... Alan Rickman has been amazing.

OMG! The music is everything! If I don't like the music, I find it really hard to like the film. Hence, why I lost alot of my enthusiasm for the films after Patrick Doyle left. To be quite frank, I found Hooper's scores too quiet, short, dull and boring. I don't really have an opinion on Desplat.
John Williams and Patrick Doyle! I love them both! I just listen to the soundtracks in my head all the time... they really captured the beauty of Hogwarts in my opinion.
POA and GOF.
God, so many. Buckbeak's Flight, Window to the Past, Double Trouble, Fawkes the Phoenix, Harry in Winter, the Golden Egg, Leaving Hogwarts, the second task music (can't remember track name), basically, any from films 1-4.

I'm not sure what that means but... i'll say POA.
I couldn't choose.
Best special effects?
Any from POA and GOF, they were incredible. DH 2 wasn't too bad though, the dragon was beautiful.
Best costumes?
I don't know

Honestly? No. OOTP was awful. I think they made a mistake in choosing David Yates as director, he really changed the series... badly.
Still DH part 2 was an improvement... mostly.

Old July 21st, 2011, 2:39 pm
Third Year

The movies

DH2. I found it the most emotional and exciting. Was never boring for a second and the perfect ending to the series.

I adored the whole of the Great Hall scene with McGonagall getting rid of Snape and all the preparations for the Battle - that was definitely a series highlight.

Also, when Harry says goodbye to Ron and Hermione and Hermione says 'I'll come with you' and Harry and Ron exchange a heart-breaking look. That killed me.

Also, in HBP when Hermione is crying on the stairs about Ron kissing Lavender. I don't know why, but them growing up really hit me in that scene and it was very emotional.

Loads of PS scenes, like "...before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed, or WORSE, expelled"... "She needs to sort out her priorities."

But also, just the trio standing on the Platform at the end of the Epilogue. A fitting send-off.

Directing

Probably Alfonso Cuaron, I thought he captured the essence and feel of it best. Even if I'll never forgive him for leaving out the Marauder's backstory.

Storytelling

I think it has to be the coming of age story of the trio. That really has come across brilliantly and always been believable and well-acted and incredibly emotional. We have seen their childhood progress.

Acting

Probably Snape - always perfect. Others include McGonagall and to an extent Ron. Out of all the characters I think Ginny got the worst portrayal in the script, which is a shame since Bonnie seems to be a decent actress.

Probably Alan Rickman again. The stand-out of the whole series as far as I see.

Music

Incredibly important, scenes can be destroyed by an average score.

Probably John Williams - he just made it. Alexandre Desplat was also brilliant, but no one could recreate the magic.

Philosopher's Stone, without question. It just defines the series.

Leaving Hogwarts. It always makes me cry!

Prisoner of Azkaban, for me.

Again Azkaban, or possibly DH2

Best special effects?
DH2, but that's expected with advancing technology. And the battle allowed them to really show off.

Best costumes?
I really like Ootp for this actually. If they're gonna wear muggle clothes - I like the trios ones here.

Overall verdict

Indeed. It was splendid. There were failings but there were always going to be. They did very well.

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old July 21st, 2011, 6:19 pm
First Year

Which Harry Potter movie is your favourite?

I love all of the movies, but Deathly Hallows Part 2 was my favorite. The book is much better but I still loved the movie so much. I think it was beautifully done (though not perfect, some of the mistakes bothered me a little) but overall the parts I love outweigh the parts I dislike. I cried through about a third of it the first time I saw it, including crying when the title came on the screen....haha. Does anyone else feel this way? Because almost all the posts I see are about people saying what they didn't like about the movie.

Credit to AvisMist132 for making The VoldyStag!
Proud to be part of the Harry Potter generation.
Pottermore: MagicShadow
Gryffindor Forever
Redwood, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4 inches, slightly yielding
**POTTERMORE BATTALION**
Old July 21st, 2011, 6:30 pm
First Year

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why? DHP2. I can't even describe it in words. It was a magnificent emotional journey.
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it? That's so hard! Hmm. I love the Prince's Tale. But its so sad :'(

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World? Yates and Cuaron
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies? I like the way it turned out.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc. Hmmm. Probably Harry vs Voldemort. Every film has really been leading up to their final battle.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)? Severus Snape
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you? Daniel Radcliffe. Ever since POA he keeps getting better as Harry!

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies? I think the Harry Potter music is perfect. It really sets the tone.
Who is your favourite music composer? John Williams
Which soundtrack is your favourite? I'm not sure.
What is your favourite music track? Hedwig's Theme, because it reminds me of the excitement of going to the movie releases. Also Leaving Hogwarts because it makes me cry.

Which movie has the best cinematography? POA
Best set design (props etc)? DHP2
Best special effects? DHP2
Best costumes? Can't pick

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series? YES. They are all I ever wanted and more.

Credit to AvisMist132 for making The VoldyStag!
Proud to be part of the Harry Potter generation.
Pottermore: MagicShadow
Gryffindor Forever
Redwood, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4 inches, slightly yielding
**POTTERMORE BATTALION**
Old July 21st, 2011, 9:14 pm
First Year

The movies

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2. The Battle of Hogwarts was just phenomenal, the performances by this great cast was absolutely outstanding, and they nailed the big moments. Gringotts, the preparation for the battle was AMAZING sending chills up my spine, the battle itself, the Chamber of Secrets, the RoR, Snape's death scene, The Prince' Tale, The Forest Again, the speeches by Voldemort and Neville, and than the big battle we been waiting a decade for... Voldemort vs. Harry, and it was AWESOME! Everything about this movie was just amazing. Perfect.

Wow, this question is insanely hard to answer because I love every moment in the HP series! My absolute favorite moment is The Prince's Tale, closely followed by the Battle of Hogwarts and the Graveyard scene in GoF.

Directing

David Yates.

I am very pleased with how it turned it. Yates was the best though, I would have loved to see his direction in the first four films.

Storytelling

The Snape story arc.

Acting

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape, closely followed by Ralph Fiennes portrayal of Lord Voldemort.

The trio of Dan, Emma, and Rupert, especially in the last 2 films, they have been outstanding and have turned into really great young actors and actresses.

Music

Incredibly important. A great score makes a film feel much more epic. All of the score's for HP have been amazing! During battle's and emotional scenes the music has always been perfect.

Alexandre Desplat

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

So many amazing ones to chose from! Courtyard Apocalypse, Leaving Hogwarts, Hedwig's Theme, Obliviate, and Dumbledore's Farewell

DH1 and DH2 had some outstanding cinematography, but the cinematography in HBP was absolutely mind blowing!

DH2

Best special effects?
DH2.

Best costumes?
HBP

Overall verdict
YES. It brought this amazing magical world that JK Rowling created to life. The cast has been amazing! the filmmakers have been amazing! I thought the films kept getting better and better especially when David Yates took over. DH1 and DH2 were masterpiece's.

Last edited by Brady12; March 22nd, 2012 at 6:34 pm.
Old July 21st, 2011, 9:18 pm
Third Year

The movies

Since i can't decide if Deathly Hallows Part 1 or 2 is better im going to say Deathly Hallows is one movie and its my favourite The first six movies is so alike. Giong to Hogwarts-Classes-Plot-Climax. Deathly Hallows was so exciting, even though i knew what would happen i was on the edge of my seat. So many good scenes im them.

Anyone remember that scene with Snape's memories in tha Pensive? Thats my favourite moment

Directing

I really loved how the Wizarding World is portrayed by Cris Columbus in the first two movies. He managed to introduce the magical world in a great way!

Yes - I believe this would be the best way to go for the movies. I understand that every new director want to bring something new to the series, but i would have loved it if it was more consistent.

Acting

Luna! Evanna Lynch is perfect for the role. Really odd and really cute at the same time. Really love her

Alan Rickman! Not a single bad scene in the entire series.

Music

I didn't think about it that much before, but now i listen to it, and it's important to the mood of the scenes/movies.

Alexandre Desplat i think. Obliviate and Lily's theme are amazing !

Philosophers Stone and Deathly Hallows Part II

Right now, im really loving 'Lily's theme', but i have to say 'Hedwigs theme' is the best, one of the best movie themes ever!

Half Blood Prince i think.

Philosophers Stone!

Best special effects?
No doubt; Deathly Hallows Part II. Oscar worthy..?

Best costumes?
I don't know..All of them

Overall verdict

Yes - im really happy with the way the series ended. Im proud to have been a part of this amazing journey from Philosopher Stone in 2001 and till "the end" now in 2011. I love these movies and they will allways be among my favourite movies! I will watch them many more times, they just never get old!

"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies