Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #281  
Old August 10th, 2012, 4:40 pm
asdfasdf17  Undisclosed.gif asdfasdf17 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 2868 days
Posts: 440
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Harry's mentor and the students' headmaster has just died, Harry has to carry this burden that is the horcrux hunt on his own shoulders and you expect a happy ending? Except...there was a note of hope mixed with the sadness there. At least far more appropriate of a tone than Goblet's ending despite looking cool. What should I read out of that? What does "cool" mean in this context? Perhaps shallowness is more accurate.
When I read the HBP book, the ending to me didn't seem as sad as it did in the movie which is why I didn't like it. The GoF looked cool with the ship sinking and the coach flying away.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #282  
Old August 10th, 2012, 5:20 pm
chinofjim  Undisclosed.gif chinofjim is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2662 days
Posts: 44
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

But a happy ending to HPB movie would just not sit right. Apart from the relevant points that Noldus has pointed out, we also see Harry (and his friends), in accepting the Horcrux hunting mission, take the decision to leave Hogwarts and go out into the world.

For Harry this means leaving forever the place that he has always considered home (nice parallel to Voldemort there: Voldy leaves Hogwarts to go on a mission to find suitable objects in which to hide parts of his soul, having already created the diary Horcrux and at the very least having found the ring. Harry leaves Hogwarts to go on a mission to find but destroy the same objects, having already destroyed the diary Horcrux and seen the destroyed ring).

For Hermione this means obliviating her parents and sending them packing to the other side of the world.

For Ron this means leaving his loving home and family.

Harry, Ron and Hermione are then making a choice that plunges them straight into adulthood, and away from the things that have kept them comforted and safe.

The film started with a gorgeous shot of Dumbledore comforting Harry. With Dumbledore now dead, the film ends with a gorgeous shot of Fawkes flying away from Hogwarts for ever. For me its a perfect visual metaphor for what has happened and for what the trio have committed to facing. I really think having the funeral scene included in the film here would have been superfluous, and the tone of the ending is just right


__________________
ACCIO BRAIN
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old August 10th, 2012, 5:51 pm
asdfasdf17  Undisclosed.gif asdfasdf17 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 2868 days
Posts: 440
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

I guess everyone has their own opinions on what makes a good/bad ending.


Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old August 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm
Verena  Undisclosed.gif Verena is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2740 days
Posts: 231
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Perhaps the ending that I liked most is OotP: Harry and Dumbledore's Army (I would have liked there were also all the other members) all together.


Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:06 pm
Noldus  Male.gif Noldus is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3835 days
Location: North by northwest
Posts: 996
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
When I read the HBP book, the ending to me didn't seem as sad as it did in the movie which is why I didn't like it.
Ah. Why am I not surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
The GoF looked cool with the ship sinking and the coach flying away.
Alright. As did HBP with Fawkes flying away I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I guess everyone has their own opinions on what makes a good/bad ending.
Indeed. I also guess there is a difference between humbly stating what you prefer (which you originally did) and suggesting that somehow your preferences determine what's good or bad despite not explaining why.



Last edited by Noldus; August 10th, 2012 at 11:38 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:56 pm
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 5419 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 38
Posts: 5,979
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Let´s not start rating people´s opinions guys. Respect that everyone´s taste is different.


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old August 11th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Blue_Pikachu  Female.gif Blue_Pikachu is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2680 days
Location: Belgium
Age: 27
Posts: 21
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

The best top 3:
1) COS, I agree it was cheesy as hell, but I love the atmosphere in the Great Hall, everyone happy at Hogwarts, and then the end credits with the famous soundtrack. Really nostalgic.
2) I also really like HBP. The trio staring at the window, watching Fox fly away along with DD. The only thing that irks me a lot, is that Ron is just sitting there and staring, while Hermione is supporting Harry, damn screenwriters!
And in 3d place) a tie between PoA and DH1, Harry just getting his Firebolt (not following the books at all, whatever) and love his happy face freezeframed.
DH1 was a huge cliffhanger. Really left you at the side of your chair.

The worst: GOF: The darkest wizard of all times just returned and Hermione is like 'big grin' Everything's going to change right!' Nah, that dialogue was just wrong.


__________________
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old August 12th, 2012, 8:22 pm
asdfasdf17  Undisclosed.gif asdfasdf17 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 2868 days
Posts: 440
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Indeed. I also guess there is a difference between humbly stating what you prefer (which you originally did) and suggesting that somehow your preferences determine what's good or bad despite not explaining why.
Its an opinion, there's not much to explain that I haven't already. You don't have to agree with my opinion but there's no reason to act like your preference is superior or that mine needs an explanation. I'm not criticizing your preferences, I'm just stating my own, so there's no reason for you to get rude and defensive. Just be open-minded. I'd be more willing to explain my criteria if I didn't think you'd break apart everything I wrote just to let me know why its not 'humble' or why its 'shallow'.


Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:13 am
Noldus  Male.gif Noldus is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3835 days
Location: North by northwest
Posts: 996
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
Its an opinion, there's not much to explain that I haven't already. You don't have to agree with my opinion but there's no reason to act like your preference is superior or that mine needs an explanation. I'm not criticizing your preferences, I'm just stating my own, so there's no reason for you to get rude and defensive. Just be open-minded. I'd be more willing to explain my criteria if I didn't think you'd break apart everything I wrote just to let me know why its not 'humble' or why its 'shallow'.
I do respect your preferences. I could at the very least appreciate how there were no implications of pretension there. That doesn't mean I have no right to point out that I found your reasoning in two cases shallow. However, let me clarify that I wasn't attacking you, but your argument. Admittedly it was expressed somewhat rudely, but it was mostly out of annoyance at a general lack of understanding on the forum. What I'm sort of missing is a basic understanding that if you are going to deem a film good or bad, it is required that you use movie-related factors as criteria rather than irrelevant ones such as whether the film looked like how you envisioned it whilst reading the novel. In that case I think we should be humble and fair enough to admit that we are evaluating the film as an adaptation...and in relation to our own standards of what makes a good adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinofjim View Post
I think I'm a lone voice here but I am going to have to give a bit of love to the firebolt freeze frame ending of PoA, which is my favorite.
It is my favourite ending as well. Such an atypical ending and yet so fitting in completing the film thematically. An interesting idea introduced in the film is how flight is associated with happiness and freedom on Harry's behalf. In the quidditch match we saw the dementors attack him whilst he was in his comfort zone as a seeker, which was the turning point that made him want to fight back because they were starting to intrude him on a personal level. At the end of the story he has learned to overcome his fears of the dementors, and while the freeze frame reminds you of the face distortion SFX that happens when the dementors are sucking out the happiness or soul of the victim, this time it symbolizes that they are no longer able to suck out his happiness. The freeze frame is on the other hand a result of the of sheer speed of him riding a broomstick which is what he loves the most.

It is made only more awesome in hindsight thanks to Yates (intentionally or not) adding a scene with "Harrymort" grinning in mid-air in an equal manner. With Yates' trackrecord of referencing the earlier films (thank you Yates for all the easter eggs), it may very well be an intentional connection to emphasize the fact that Harry is in just as much control of the situation in Hallows: Part 2 as he were in that "I'm the king of the world" ending of PoA.



Last edited by Noldus; August 13th, 2012 at 11:38 am.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old August 14th, 2012, 1:48 am
chinofjim  Undisclosed.gif chinofjim is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2662 days
Posts: 44
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
An interesting idea introduced in the film is how flight is associated with happiness and freedom on Harry's behalf. In the quidditch match we saw the dementors attack him whilst he was in his comfort zone as a seeker, which was the turning point that made him want to fight back because they were starting to intrude him on a personal level. At the end of the story he has learned to overcome his fears of the dementors, and while the freeze frame reminds you of the face distortion SFX that happens when the dementors are sucking out the happiness or soul of the victim, this time it symbolizes that they are no longer able to suck out his happiness. The freeze frame is on the other hand a result of the of sheer speed of him riding a broomstick which is what he loves the most.

It is made only more awesome in hindsight thanks to Yates (intentionally or not) adding a scene with "Harrymort" grinning in mid-air in an equal manner. With Yates' trackrecord of referencing the earlier films (thank you Yates for all the easter eggs), it may very well be an intentional connection to emphasize the fact that Harry is in just as much control of the situation in Hallows: Part 2 as he were in that "I'm the king of the world" ending of PoA.
You've bought some really good points up there, especially how the face distortion we see in the freeze frame echoes the Dementor attack visuals, but now seen in a completely different context. I also like the little Yates easter eggs. One I just recently spotted was the shot of Lavender lying stricken in the courtyard (dead we presume) during the Courtyard Apocalypse seen from DHp2, after Hermione has blasted away Fenir Greyback. The shot is eerily reminiscent of the brief shot we see of Cedric lying dead on the ground after having been AK'd in Goblet of Fire. This is interesting because Cedric and Harry were previously rivals (both in the TWT and for the attentions of Cho), just as Hermione and Lavender were previously rivals.


__________________
ACCIO BRAIN
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old August 26th, 2012, 9:10 am
Ripper  Male.gif Ripper is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2681 days
Location: Beyond the Burnt Stump
Posts: 54
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Although I , too, like the PoA freeze-frame I'm going to go with ending of DH1. Emotion and fear in there. People in the cinema (oh, all right, a person) sobbed right through the credits. And then of course the fact of Voldey getting the wand.

Worst is end of CoS. So sickly sweet I can still taste it now! I think that is all I need to say about that one.


__________________
"ONLY CONNECT..."


Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old August 28th, 2012, 7:25 pm
PotterGirl654  Female.gif PotterGirl654 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5076 days
Location: USA
Age: 27
Posts: 95
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

I'm going to have to agree with many of the opinions already mentioned, and for many of the same reasons. When I think of the worst ending, my mind immediately recalls GoF and how happy everyone was. Voldemort's returned and one of our students DIED, but let's all just put a smile on like we don't have a care in the world!! Especially since in OotP, we see this dramatic change in Harry's appearance and attitude that is supposed to coincide with the trauma experienced from witnessing Cedric's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
An interesting idea introduced in the film is how flight is associated with happiness and freedom on Harry's behalf. In the quidditch match we saw the dementors attack him whilst he was in his comfort zone as a seeker, which was the turning point that made him want to fight back because they were starting to intrude him on a personal level. At the end of the story he has learned to overcome his fears of the dementors, and while the freeze frame reminds you of the face distortion SFX that happens when the dementors are sucking out the happiness or soul of the victim, this time it symbolizes that they are no longer able to suck out his happiness. The freeze frame is on the other hand a result of the of sheer speed of him riding a broomstick which is what he loves the most.

It is made only more awesome in hindsight thanks to Yates (intentionally or not) adding a scene with "Harrymort" grinning in mid-air in an equal manner. With Yates' trackrecord of referencing the earlier films (thank you Yates for all the easter eggs), it may very well be an intentional connection to emphasize the fact that Harry is in just as much control of the situation in Hallows: Part 2 as he were in that "I'm the king of the world" ending of PoA.
That's an extremely interesting analysis that I would never even think of! The end of PoA had always been less than memorable for me, I didn't really have a good or bad opinion about it, it was just there. I definitely see this ending in a new light now!


__________________
If anyone might want to find me, you may do so on twitter:
http://twitter.com/felicia_stacey

"So I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables"
~Adele

Proud Gryffindor
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:50 am
GillyweedFan  Male.gif GillyweedFan is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3074 days
Location: England
Posts: 44
Re: Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

My favourite ending is actually Chamber of Secrets! *Awaits to dodge anything thrown at me from the majority of the thread.*

I don't think it was cheesy - just happy. Remember, this is still one of the 'childish' takes on the films (by all means that's not bad, it's great because it fits with their age.)
Throughout the film, the whole tone is darker and scarier than the first film, and I think the rather joyous ending with all the reunions and hugs and cheers is to relieve the viewers of the tension and darkness that had been present throughout.

It was also nice to sort of see the relationships and closeness of Harry and his friends - I'm talking about the Hermione hug here, and Hagrid too! I just think it's a lovely way to end the film before the following ones to come take the tone even more darker and delve in to much more seriour territory.

My least favourite ending though has to be Half-Blood Prince. I just did not like how Ron seemed to be sidelined, on the tower, from Harry and Hermione's conversation. Dumbledore's funeral not being included made angered me too! *rageface.*


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:36 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.