Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Muggle clothing in HP movies

Old July 31st, 2007, 3:01 pm
First Year

Re: Muggle Clothing in HP movies

It might have been nice for consistency but it would be a bit silly looking in the tense of a movie, especially for those who didn't read the book. I mean some of the things they wear are ridiculous for instance imagine in HBP Ogden is actually wearing a "frock coat with a one-piece bathing suit" How are they supposed to explain this ridiculous choice of clothing?

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 3:34 pm
Second Year

I think the robe wearing and comedic value of wizards getting Muggle clothes is great in the books but I dont think it would necessarily translate well on screen.

As above how do you explain Ogden and his frock coat and one piece bathing suit?!

what everyone wears I think works well in the movies, not exactly typical clothing to show that they are a different world but not so outlandish that they defy explaination

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:13 pm
First Year

I think Hermoine is supposed to "get" muggle fashion more than Ginny, after all, Hermoine is muggleborn and Ginny isin't.

Proud Gryffindor

Last edited by Drusilla; May 24th, 2008 at 9:16 pm. Reason: quoting removed post
Old July 31st, 2007, 4:51 pm
Second Year

Usually they talk about adults like Mr Weasley struggling to dress like muggles and the children never have a problem so maybe, when the older generation of wizards were at school, they had to wear robes at all times...

Old August 1st, 2007, 2:18 am
Queen of Apathy

Can we please keep this family friendly people

Old August 1st, 2007, 2:24 am
Second Year

I dunno, the kids wearing muggle clothing in the movies doesn't really bother me. The only time that it annoys me is when they're supposed to be in school, they should definitely have robes on then. It's part of what makes them wizards. After school though, and on weekends and whatnot, I don't see a problem with them wearing muggle clothing. It would probably be much more confortable and practical.

Old August 1st, 2007, 2:40 am
Second Year

Well, I suppose that the muggle costume issue it's kinda difficult to put it in screen. All the mix-ups and dubious matching wizards do are mostly for comedic value, but wouldn't look nice on screen, and there isn't time to explain them.
However, I think that starting from PoA, the kids look waay "cooler" than they're supposed to. And consider the time when HP happens, it's the nineties if I remember correctly! So the hip clothes are sort of an anachronism.
But it's probably just me

Last edited by Vicky_M; August 1st, 2007 at 3:18 am.
Old August 1st, 2007, 3:11 pm
Fourth Year

It's specifically stated in the books that the kids wear Muggle clothes. Obviously for class and stuff they have to wear their robes though. The whole thing about the wizards having so much trouble in the books is pretty lame because Jo is inconsistent. Fudge wears a SUIT under a cloak. Tom Riddle wore a SUIT when he worked at Borgin and Burkes. Hagrid wears a hairy brown SUIT. Ginny, Gabrielle, Hermione, and Fleur wear DRESSES at the wedding, not robes. Mrs. Weasley makes JUMPERS for her kids. Umbridge wears a CARDIGAN. It doesn't really make sense that they would have trouble but it's just done for comic relief anyway.

Old August 1st, 2007, 6:38 pm
First Year

I always asked myself about this. Because their clothes seemed to be so like hte muggles clothes. The kids clothes are like the muggles. I alaways thought like Vicky_M, that it was kinda difficul to put it on screen. lol

Old August 2nd, 2007, 4:40 pm
Second Year

I think traditionally just robes and underwear are worn (archie from the world cup in Gof was commando for some reason) Like all young people though nowadays, young wizards think its cooler to wear western muggle clothes. Even in real life, kids (and even some adults) all round the world (even in asia) are wearing more western clothes because shirts and trousers are practical and comfortable. Young wizards are following this lead and wearing muggle clothes under their cloaks, instead of robes. In my opinion I've always seen cloaks to be equivalent to muggle coats - something to just grab when it gets cold. So sometimes young wizards may just wear the muggle clothes without the cloak when its warmer.

At school, I think its pretty much safe to assume its compulsory school uniform to wear robes, and a cloak when its colder but on weekends and out of lessons wits the usual fashion of just wearing muggle clothes instead of robes and the cloak if its cold.

I think its wrong to think that just because Malfoy and other dark young wizards are ani-muggle they don't wear muggle clothes, because over time the comfortableness and practicality of muggle clothing must have been noticed by wizards and over time wizards may have given muggle clothes their own twist.

I absolutely love the clothes in the movie, even if they've added the british school uniform instead of robes. The out of lesson muggle clothes are just right - they're not something that we could actually find in a muggle shop as their kinda kooky, but they're still muggle-ish. And I agree with the person who said that Hermione is more likely to have a better dress sense as she's muggle born. But I don't think she dresses like a model at all...she still dresses quite nerdy. I've noticed she wears plainish clothes with funny little sweaters with shapes or stripes lol

Random convo of the moment:
Hermione - "There you are! Where have you been? The most ridiculous rumors--someone said you'd been expelled for crashing a flying car--"
Harry - "I like a quiet life, you know me."
Ron - "You need your inner eye tested, if you ask me."
My Site: hpdreamzland...
I have fics on FanFiction.net......find them here...
Old August 3rd, 2007, 4:09 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
marspeach:
It's specifically stated in the books that the kids wear Muggle clothes. Obviously for class and stuff they have to wear their robes though. The whole thing about the wizards having so much trouble in the books is pretty lame because Jo is inconsistent. Fudge wears a SUIT under a cloak. Tom Riddle wore a SUIT when he worked at Borgin and Burkes. Hagrid wears a hairy brown SUIT. Ginny, Gabrielle, Hermione, and Fleur wear DRESSES at the wedding, not robes. Mrs. Weasley makes JUMPERS for her kids. Umbridge wears a CARDIGAN. It doesn't really make sense that they would have trouble but it's just done for comic relief anyway.
Maybe the people who have trouble dressing as muggles, are those who usually never wear muggle clothing at all. Maybe people like Odgen and Archie (I think that's his name, the guy at the Quidditch World Cup who was wearing a dress) have never worn muggle clothing in their life and so when they have to, are not entirely sure what to wear.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 6:34 pm
Third Year

The subject of wizards not knowing how to dress like muggles never made any sense to me. Wizards are outnumbered by muggles. Wizards having seen so many muggles in their lives, surely it's common sense to know how to dress as one. The two worlds aren't that distantly separated, wizards can't possibly grow up without ever seeing a muggle. Clothing isn't that complicated either.

Old August 4th, 2007, 2:01 am
First Year

Well, I always thought that the muggle clothes they wore in the movies, were not fashionable, and old-fashioned to be honest. Knit sweaters, with odd patterns. I think it works for the movies because these movies kind of have a timeless feel( slightly). We don't think of them exactly as completely up to date with "our" world.

I don't see why they couldn't dress them in more neutral clothes though, just normal t-shirts/jeans ect. But they have the school uniforms now, with the sweaters and skirts/pant, and I love how they all have ties/scarves/sweaters that indicate what house they are in.

Old August 4th, 2007, 2:09 am
Second Year

Well, something that I noticed in the movies is that Harry, Ron, and Hermione all wear jeans when they're in muggle clothes; however in Order of the Phoenix - Draco was wearing black dress slacks (more like he was already in "uniform") So since a lot of the movies show what happens between classes a lot or when they're in the common room or going to Hogsmeade - being in robes all the time is silly. But I do think that at the wedding the people should have been in their Dress Robes - because I thought those were meant for special occasions?!

Old May 24th, 2008, 11:08 am
Fifth Year

I the book it describes that any wizard, except any who grew up with muggles, knows very little about muggle clothing, save it isn't the same as thiers.
The film ruins the funny side of this by costuming the characters in normal muggle clothing. Mr Weasleys job, for the first few books, is knowing and dealing with muggles. This meant that Arthur gave the information about how to dress to his family and friends when they went to muggle-inhabited places such as Kings Cross or the world cup. This point being taken away, and giving the asumption that they wear those clothes when not wearing robes, but in the book you rarely hear of them being dressed in muggle clothes (with a few exceptions).

Old May 24th, 2008, 3:22 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosPatronus View Post
I the book it describes that any wizard, except any who grew up with muggles, knows very little about muggle clothing, save it isn't the same as thiers.
The problem is that Rowling has not created a consistent world in which wizards are shown to be ignorant of the muggle world. On the one hand we have Ron not knowing what skiing is (demonstrating a complete ignorance of the muggle world). On the other hand we have Ron talking modern slang using "street" expressions which can only have been picked up from his muggle contemporaries (demonstrating total familiarity with the muggle world).

So if Rowling isn't consistent and clearly hasn't thought it through, why should be film-makers bother with these esoteric HP details?

Btw, there are communities in the Western world today, such as the Amish, who live alongside and yet separately from mainstream society. They wear different clothes, and talk in an antiquated mode of speech.

If Rowling was consistent, wizards would parallel the Amish, and other sects, in the ways of a separate culture.

Old May 24th, 2008, 4:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
So if Rowling isn't consistent and clearly hasn't thought it through, why should be film-makers bother with these esoteric HP details?
Well, they've changed so much, why shouldn't they do it? .

Even though I'm annoyed at the use of Muggle clothes in the movies, I'm even more annoyed by the real mistakes they made regarding that... For instance, when they go to Hogsmeade, the only wizarding town in England, they're wearing Muggle clothes... And I didn't like it that all Harry's clothes fit him perfectly, while he had only Dudleys hand-me-downs...

So I like the first movie best - that scene in Diagon Alley with all the wizards & witches wearing robes was great. It's pity they couldn't do that for all movies .

Old May 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChuan
Even though I'm annoyed at the use of Muggle clothes in the movies, I'm even more annoyed by the real mistakes they made regarding that... For instance, when they go to Hogsmeade, the only wizarding town in England, they're wearing Muggle clothes... And I didn't like it that all Harry's clothes fit him perfectly, while he had only Dudleys hand-me-downs...
It annoys me too that Dan isn't always wearing Dudley's hand-me-downs, but that would just be so uncomfortable for him to have to wear them all of the time. What would be a much better solution would be to get rid of the Muggle clothes all together. I just can't stand them at all. It's the only part of PoA I don't like. Honestly, they were raised by wizards who always wear robes, so they would see the robes as being normal clothing and wouldn't feel like they were getting all dressed up when they wore them. I just absolutely can not stand them wearing Muggle clothes.
Quote:
So I like the first movie best - that scene in Diagon Alley with all the wizards & witches wearing robes was great. It's pity they couldn't do that for all movies .
That was a great scene, but then it was all ruined in later films with people who looked like a bunch of Muggles wandering around Hogwarts.

Old May 24th, 2008, 6:49 pm
Fifth Year

If you look at the illustrations for the books, they always show the Trio wearing muggle clothing under their robes. And sometimes just muggle clothing, even for the Weasleys.

Even people like Draco are shown wearing a shirt and tie under his robes and it was for the Madam Malkin's scene in HBP, so it wasn't his school uniform.

And Rowling makes numerous mentions to people wearing muggle clothing - Fleur and her bridesmaids are described wearing dresses at her wedding, the Twins and their dragon-skin suits even the sweaters Mrs. Weasley knits. If someone only wore robes, why would you knit them a sweater and not a shawl or long underwear? A sweater is meant to be worn with pants or a skirt, not over a robe.

I don't think the movies are that wrong in this.

Old May 24th, 2008, 7:44 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChuan View Post
And I didn't like it that all Harry's clothes fit him perfectly, while he had only Dudleys hand-me-downs...
Once at Hogwarts Harry would have had little problem resizing the clothes anyway.

As pointed out elsewhere the whole Muggle-Wizard separation is an incredibly flawed part of the story.

Most striking (and irritating) is Mr Weasley's near-total ignorance of the Muggle world despite working in an office in the middle of London and having responsibility for misuse of Muggle artefacts.

The real world equivalent would be a Germany desk officer at the Foreign Office thinking that the German capital was still Bonn.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies