Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The audio books

Old September 2nd, 2007, 6:40 pm
First Year

The audio books

I don't know it this is the proper forum to discuss the audio books, as I could not find suitable threads by using the search engine.

To me, Stephen Fry reading the books since the Goblet of Fire is simply outstanding. He may not be the better voice actor compared to Dale, but his story telling is first class.

Listening and reading at the same time is quite different from reading alone, much more intense.

To me, his rendition of Lord Voldemort is better than in the films, scary and creepy way beyond the films, that hoarse dry voice.
His Tonks's rendition is very funny IMO, that accent!
His Umbridge rendition makes you'll dislike her even more.

What stood out for me are him reading the scenes of horror, starting with the resurrection of Lord Voldemort in book 4, that was most scary. Also the Nagini scene in Godric Hollow, the Malfoy Manor were very scary to listen to.

Please tell me your opinion on the audio books.

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2007, 7:20 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: The audio books

I love listening to the audio books and actually know many fans who rather do this than actually reading the books.

Just recently I started with Fry, but already like him a lot. (Before I listened to the books in my language).

Since I basically listen to the audio books before going to sleep I never thought of reading & listening the same time. That's an cool idea I'll try out by time.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 8:35 pm
Seventh Year

I would love some of the audios of the books so i could listen to them, but they are expensive!!! So i'll guess i'll have to wait until i have the extra money to get one or two.....

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old September 3rd, 2007, 2:36 am
Third Year

I love how Dale reads, it's outstanding. Way more emotional than reading it youself I think. It was so intense when (and still after reading DH twice) Dale narrates Kreachers tale, it was perfect.

Although if I have to chose between reading or listening, I'd go with reading

Old September 3rd, 2007, 2:41 am
Second Year

I LOVE! the audio books..I bought a mini stereo that holds 5 discs so I can listen to them on repeat every night..yes obsessed is my middle name lol..Jim Dale is AMAZING but I would love to hear how Fry narrates it..is there a sample of him online somewhere? I would love to buy the copies but can't even find where to buy them all ? I could hint for birthday and anniversary gifts for now I just constantly take them out of the library

Old September 3rd, 2007, 3:34 am
Fourth Year

I'm still reading Deathly Hallows for the second time. They had the Jim Dale version in Wal-Mart, so I bought a copy July 22nd. Before opening the CD, I listened to a few passages from the other books on his website. How he does it, I don't know. Since I'm STILL enjoying reading the book at my own pace and taking the time to savour it, I haven't got around to listening to the CD. The part I want to hear is "The Prince's Tale"(gee who knew) and "The Elder Wand".

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 3:55 pm
Second Year

Steven Fry is a genius and can pretty much do anything to a high standard. So no suprises he's amazing on the audio books. The brilliant way he has with words and delivers them in such a calm and easy way, coupled with a pair of good noise canceling headphones, I feel like i'm living within the book and find it very easy to imagine images this way.

Really great way to go to sleep with too. Not becuase I find it boring, but it's just very relaxing and calming.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 5:08 pm
Third Year

We listen to the audio books (Jim Dale version) on long car trips--it makes the miles fly by and I often pick up things I didn't through my reading.

I bought the Stephen Fry version of PS/SS, just to hear the difference between the two readers. It was very expensive to get in the States and I personally didn't think there was all that much difference in their reading and voice characterizations. I did notice that Fry did not pronounce Grindelwald with the German pronunciation and Dale did. But they both do a fantastic job and are very talented men.

However, I ultimately decided that I couldn't stretch my family's budget enough to buy a duplicate set of audio books, especially with the later books that are so long and costly. So we'll stick with the Jim Dale US version.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 7:57 pm
First Year

I suppose I wasn't clear enough.
I have Jim Dale reading PS/SS and CoS, in essence fantasy novels meant for younger readers.
I have the discs with Stephen Fry reading the later novels but have heard him reading the earlier books by borrowing the CDs.

Here in the early books in comparision I thought that Dale was better in the characterisation than Fry, which I found a little tame. Though I don't particularly like the inflexion Dale gives to Hermione's voice, Dale's other voices were great. I haven't heard yet the Dale version of DBP/DH, a sure challence for any narrator. It is said Dale has some 200 different voice characterisations at his command. Very impressive!
As soon as Harry and Cedric were gripping the handles of the Triwizard Cup together, the books weren't childrens books anymore. Such horrifying story telling I have never heard before. I found it much more scary than watching the same scenes in the movie, despite the special effects and cinema surround sound.

You are very much right, the CD's are outrageously expensive! DH was well over Euro 100 unfortulately.
Since English is not my native language I was willing to put down the cash because like I said listening and reading at the same time is so compelling.
Headphones on, book in my hands, and I easily listen and read all through the night.

Old September 11th, 2007, 6:17 am
Second Year

I would love to get the audio tapes narrated by Jim Dale. However, like someone previously mentioned, I don't have the money for them. Book #7 is going for close to $80 at our local book store. Yikes.

Old September 21st, 2007, 8:27 pm
First Year

I saw the tapes of SS in a antique store the other day for $2.50 and I almost picked them up.. but I didn't.. I think I want the CD's.. they'd be better for me.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 9:41 pm
Second Year

I've only heard Stephen Fry's reading of PS, so I can't compare the two men, but he did a brilliant job of recording other school stories in the past and doing all the voices, so he seemed an obvious choice for the HP series.

I applaud anyone reading unabridged versions as well - the thought of taking on OOTP particularly frightens me!

Old September 24th, 2007, 11:57 pm
First Year

I tried listening to the PoA audiotape, I cant remember who the reader was but I didnt like it at all, one minute into the CD I turned it off and grabbed the book. I much prefer to read it.

Old September 25th, 2007, 12:14 am
First Year

Well personally i don't like the audio books because i like reading at my own pace...i mean i'm kinda in the middle of a fast and slow reader so i like reading the books on my own...i just started to read the 4th book like 3 weeks .

Old September 25th, 2007, 12:36 am
Ordo Lebes

I used to refuse to listen to the audiobooks, because I felt it wasn't as personal as reading it yourself. I still kind of feel that way, but I've fallen in love with listening to the books on tape. I have almost the complete collection of all seven books by both Stephen Fry and Jim Dale, and I sometimes use them when going back to reference something, instead of getting up and walking across the room to my stack of HP books (cause that would just take too much energy, see, lol). I was lucky enough that my friend owned almost all of them, so I didn't have to buy them.

I love both Jim Dale and Stephen Fry, but I tend to listen to Fry more now because I don't really fancy the changes made in the US editions of the books (changing terms like "Father Christmas" to "Santa Claus" - I know, I'm anal retentive). However, they both do such good jobs, it's amazing.

I found they were best when doing a reread of the entire series, like before DH. I found I couldn't multitask while reading (obviously, book + spaghetti does NOT mix) so I finally decided to just listen to them instead of taking the risk of staining my precious books (kind of pointless, seeing as they're almost as worn down as Snape's potions book...), lol.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old September 25th, 2007, 4:20 am
Fourth Year

I'm just listening to "The Elder Wand" the Jim Dale edition. My God, academy award performance. He should be awarded in some way! Man, I can see the events happening. There are parts when I cringe. I'm going to listen to them tomorrow when I'm on the train.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old September 25th, 2007, 5:00 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I read along with the audio....Jim Dale is wonderful.

Old September 25th, 2007, 5:07 am
Third Year

I love Jim Dale!!!!!!!!! He's so funny and his impressions of "Hermione was eagerly bouncing up and down" are sssooooooo funny! and oddly accurate. I havn't heard the first guy, but im in love with the current! hahaha!
It's funny that i fell across this! I was just listening to the Deathly Hallows like 20 minutes ago. I really like the audio books because you can do other things as well. Like I made dinner while listening to the Godrics Hallow part. and I also do my homework, clean my room, take a bath/shower, etc.
Highly reccommended!

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old September 29th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Second Year

I love the audio books. I have them all, by Jim Dale, who is amazing. I wasn't sure at first if I would like them, so I bought the first book, the smallest and cheapest of course, and I loved it. So the last couple of books my procedure was to buy the book (at midnight naturally) and read the book first. I still love to actually read the book. Then I had to buy the audio book so I can listen to it while I drive to work. I've listened to the last book almost three times now. Haven't quite got it memorized yet! Almost had Dumbledore's explanation in book 5 memorized, though, I played it so many times. LIstening to Jim Dale's audio book version I think is in some ways better than reading it, because he acts the parts so well. This way is almost as good as it would be if the movies were made with all the content and subplots of the books included, not cut or altered.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:44 pm
First Year

I work 12 hour shifts and do not have a lot of time to read while at home, so I listen to the audio books at work. I have been through the series (1-6) 12 times and through 1-7 three times.
Hey Jim Dale! How is Lord Voldemor? They should have re-edited all his first readings. I only listen to Stephen Fry. I did not like DH as a book to read but Fry makes it tolerable to listen to.

I HAVE BEEN MARKED!
My Star Wars tattoos are here...http://www.myspace.com/retardgrind
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies