Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:37 am
Fourth Year

Best and Worst endings to the Harry Potter films

Well I've been hearing alot about which endings we've enjoyed and hated in various threads but I did a search and couldn't seem to find a specific topic dedicated to it, so here it is!

Discuss which ending was the best and the worse

If I had to rank them I'd say the order of film ending would be (1. being the best):

1. PS/SS
2. OOTP
3. POA
4. COS
5. GOF

Now I like the first movies ending because it was just that...an ending. We see Harry saying goodbye to Hagrid and waving as he rides away into the distance. It was the perfect ending to his first adventure and it's sad that it's taken 4 other's movies to come close to matching it

The GOF ending I hated...it's the only ending I can't bare to watch anymore. I just get angry with how HAPPY it was.

'Everything's going to change now isn't it?'

'Ok now write me in the summer...wheeeeeeeeeeeeee'

I just think they could've come up with something a little better. The shot of the two schools leaving isn't so bad though.

Funny because I didn't think ANYTHING could top the ending of COS which I HATED for the longest time.

"There's no Hogwarts without you Hagrid'

Ok that's fine...but that standing ovation. No..too much hahahaha

I actually didn't mind the POA ending much and the Order ending wasn't great but it was a BIG step in the right direction compared to GOF.

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2008, 4:55 am
Fifth Year

Re: Best and Worse endings to the Harry Potter films!

1) PS
2) OotP
3) CoS
4) GoF
5) PoA.

I agree that PS was the only decent ending. it showed Harry leaving school and Hagrid, receiving his album, getting on the train, and realising that Hogwarts is his real home. We then have the shot of the train and it is over!

OotP comes the closest with that end of year, leaving school feel about it. I woiuld have liked a little added about the Ministry Battle and Sirius's death, perhaps that scene with Malfoy about his dad being in Azkaban that was in the book.

CoS. They should have finished this earlier, perhaps after Hermione comes in and tells the boys how clever they were, Dumbledore announces "No exams", have Hagrid come in, Harry hugs him and the camera pans out.

GoF- Horrible. We have Cedric's Memorial speech which was touching, then straight to everyone being happy and saying "goodbye". A more sombre tone was needed and cut the stupid "It's all going to change now" exchange.
The trio could have watched the departure of the other schools without any silly dialogue.

PoA- The most awful of the lot! That pathetic freeze frame! I hate it! Harry's face squashed across the screen! Completely tasteless!

Old May 7th, 2008, 5:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
If I had to rank them I'd say the order of film ending would be (1. being the best):

1. PS/SS
2. OOTP
3. POA
4. COS
5. GOF

I agree with you and snugglepot that the best ending was SS.It gave the feeling of an ending,for real.

And I agree that Goblet ending really sucked.Because of the same reasons you have already posted.Something really dramatic happened and they are all so happy and cheerful.After finishing the book ,I felt so shocked ,so fearful ,so not happy,and yet that ending was not that ,at all.I really hate it.

Truth be told ,I don't even remember how Azkaban ends,so much for caring about it,if I cant even recall how it ends.

My second best would be COS.I simply liked it.It did give the impression the movie had ended as it should.The castle fading away.I like it.Plus,I like the cheesiness of Hagrids return .

My third option would be Azkaban,cause I don't recall liking it ,but I don't recall not liking it either.

Fourth would be Phoenix.I don´t like the trio talking ,so chilled out.Harry was definitely not cheerful at the end of Phoenix,and in the film he does look happy.Plus i hate the line,about Voldemort not having something worth fighting for.

So mine would be:

1.SS
2.COS
3.PA
4:OotP
5.GOF

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old May 7th, 2008, 6:00 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Well I've been hearing alot about which endings we've enjoyed and hated in various threads but I did a search and couldn't seem to find a specific topic dedicated to it, so here it is!

1. PS/SS
2. OOTP
3. POA
4. COS
5. GOF

Now I like the first movies ending because it was just that...an ending. We see Harry saying goodbye to Hagrid and waving as he rides away into the distance. It was the perfect ending to his first adventure and it's sad that it's taken 4 other's movies to come close to matching it

The GOF ending I hated...it's the only ending I can't bare to watch anymore. I just get angry with how HAPPY it was.

I just think they could've come up with something a little better. The shot of the two schools leaving isn't so bad though.

Funny because I didn't think ANYTHING could top the ending of COS which I HATED for the longest time.

I actually didn't mind the POA ending much and the Order ending wasn't great but it was a BIG step in the right direction compared to GOF.
I completely agree with you Phrozenone!

Sorcerer's Stone is my favorite ending because it followed the Book with the End of Year Feast/House Cup and then the Trainstation

And yeah, I can't STAND the GoF ending either, it's just really poorly delivered and ackward

Oh, and with the Ranking, I agree with the order you have them in as well.

Funny, I think this is the 1st time we've really agreed on something

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old May 7th, 2008, 7:33 am
Second Year

Best ending I'd say was PoA, it was so quirky and sudden it still gives me chills. Worst ending was GoF in my opinion...it was so insulting to the viewer's intelligence.

Old May 7th, 2008, 9:56 am
Fifth Year

1st- POA
Some find it cheesy, but I thought it was a great way to cap off the movie. After all the darkness and sadness, Harry has a genuine moment fooling around with his new broom with all his friends.

2nd- PS
It wasn't great, but it at least had an air of sadness to it, the photo album was quite moving.

Joint last- COS, GOF, OOTP
All terrible. All 3 were awfully written, and struck completely the wrong tone. COS ending was nonsensical, Hagrid was an unpopular teacher, for the whole school to applaud was absurd, it was a stupid visual as well, and "the line" was pure schmaltz. GOF was just as bad, dreadful writing again, Ron's line about 'having a quiet year at Hogwarts' is colossally stupid, as a boy just got murdered in front of his best friend and the DARK LORD came back to life. Hermione and Harry had dreadful lines too. The movie should have ended with Dumbledore telling Harry he has friends here, then the camera moves out the dorm window to show the carriage and ship leaving. Much better, much more appropriate. OOTP, same problem. Cheesy, inappropriate tone, and poor writing and music. Harry is just not sad enough.

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:38 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

PS
PoA (Linked a plot point [at least from the book] into it)
OotP
GoF
CoS (Ergh!)

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:38 am
Zonko's Employee

1. PoA -- a fun ending. Cinematically, preferable to Harry seeing the Dursleys again.

2. OotP -- slightly anti-climactic, but suitably melancholy in mood.

3. GoF -- Stylish, even if the Trio do seem a little happier than recent events might warrant.

4. PS -- perfectly acceptable.

5. CoS -- horribly saccharine. As Mad_Druid says below, it's unwatchable.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; May 7th, 2008 at 11:50 am.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:01 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

1. PS/SS - I love this ending. It has the proper air of finality to it. I also love the line 'I'm not going home, not really'.

2. PoA - I didn't like this ending for a long time but I love it now. We so rarely see Harry in a moment of pure joy, that I enjoy watching it. This film also has the best credits IMO.

3. OotP - It's a badly written line but it's a nice looking scene with all of the trees. It just didn't hit the right note for me. It's horribly cliched.

4. GoF - This scene is just blah for me. It seems out of place considering all that has happened. I do like the exit of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons however.

5. CoS - I can't even watch the end of this movie. I have to turn it off after Dobby saves Harry. It's just so schmaltzy that it makes me cringe.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:50 pm
Seventh Year

1) PS- pefect ending to be fair....no cringiness....it was good, i loved the moment between harry and hargid...and hagrid waving at the end..

2)OOTP- It wasn't bad, i guess almost similar to PS, the train riding off into the distance....

3) COS- OKay i thought it was okay, it wasn't the best ending but it makes me emotional everytime i watch it

4) GOF- No..Hermione's lines...just no..... i didn't like her vrying, the effect of watching the ship sink down into the lake and the Beauxbations carrigae fly away was nice....it's just the script there that ruined it for me...

5) POA- oh gosh....at least GOF ended with a nice watching something in the distance for a while..this is was watching him fly and WHOOSH!! huge close up on dan with his mouth wide open about to eat the front row of the cinema.....gosh...whats worse is that they hold it there for like 5 seconds...not sure about dan but my face is also doing that in shock...:o i love the rest of the film though.

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old May 7th, 2008, 4:16 pm
Third Year

1) PS: very nice ending, i like the moment when Hagrid gives the book to harry, it's really touching. Harry now knows that some people care for him and that he definitly is part of the wizarding world;
2) OotP: I agree with Pearl Took about melancholy;
3) PoA: even if Harry doesn't receive his firebolt at the end, their joy is catching, and like Mad Druid said, the marauder map as credits is a great idea.
4) GoF: it's a bit strange to see the trio act casually whereas Cedric Diggory died just a few days before. But the leaving of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang is very nice;
5) CoS: I don't really like the movie, so...

Old May 7th, 2008, 5:22 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaian View Post
2) OotP: I agree with Pearl Took about melancholy;
Hey! Yeah! Someone agrees with me about that!

People were expressing disappointment with the ending of OotP but I felt the tone was pretty much on the money.

And I too love that joyful expression on Harry's face at the end of PoA.

Old May 7th, 2008, 5:33 pm
Secret Keeper

Hmm, so it seems for the most part that everyone agrees:

-PS/SS and OotP were the Best Endings

-CoS and GoF were the Worst Endings

Although there are some that liked PoA, for the most part it tends to fall in the middle

Last edited by lcbaseball22; May 7th, 2008 at 5:39 pm.
Old May 7th, 2008, 5:40 pm
Third Year

Well, yes, I found the tone was right. I had the feeling the story was there at a tuning point, that nothing would be the same anymore with Voldemort's official return. Much more than in GoF where I didn't have this feeling of threat I felt in OotP.

Old May 7th, 2008, 5:58 pm
Secret Keeper

Well for HBP I just hope they end it like in the Book:

-Funeral
-Harry breaks up with Ginny
-Trio discuss their plans

Then end it with RON'S (Not Hermione's) line:

Quote:
“We’re with you whatever happens”
Then pan up, zoom out, and fade to Credits

That would be PERFECT!!!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; May 7th, 2008 at 6:02 pm.
Old May 7th, 2008, 6:06 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:

1. PS/SS
2. OOTP
3. POA
4. COS
5. GOF

Finally, someone says something good about PS/SS!

I agree- nothing has come close to that one, because it was the first movie and it had the impending sense of "Ooh! We're just getting started!" that I really liked and which no movie since has matched.

POA had the best beginning- with Harry in his room practicing spells under a sheet. ANVIL ALERT! I liked it anyway, though POA also had the worst ending

I liked the beginning of OotP a lot. It had a completely different feel than the other movies and I enjoyed the darker, more bleak, washed out tone- it's daylight, but it's still dark somehow because the magical world is bleeding into the "real" world. Harry saving Dudley was fantastic. Nicely done, imho.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old May 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Well for HBP I just hope they end it like in the Book:

-Funeral
-Harry breaks up with Ginny
-Trio discuss their plans

Then end it with RON'S (Not Hermione's) line:

Then pan up, zoom out, and fade to Credits

That would be PERFECT!!!
I agree. That would be the best way to end the HBP movie.

Old May 7th, 2008, 6:24 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaian View Post
I agree. That would be the best way to end the HBP movie.
Thanks, everyone on the HBP Movie thread seemed to think so too!

Old May 7th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Second Year

The only decent ending was Sorcerer's Stone.

After that the order would go...

-Prisoner of Azkaban (somewhat acceptable)

-Order of the Phoenix (poor)

-Goblet of Fire (very poor)

-Chamber of Secrets (dreadful)

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Banned

Sorcerror's Stone-awsome(sorry I forgot how it ended, woops!)

Chamber of Secrets-Good

Prisoner of Askaban-Great

Goblet of Fire-Good

Order of the Phoniex-okay

I was disapointed at the ending of OotP. I just did not like it at all. It was in my oponion by far the worst ending the Harry Potter movies have had so far. Harry shouldn't have been happy(do to the fact that Sirius died) and what he said was stupid and pointless. The view of the trees and everything was lovely though.

Last edited by PureBloodGirl; May 7th, 2008 at 10:54 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies